PDA

View Full Version : Mundane Backpacks: What?

Big Fau
2013-03-20, 08:13 PM
So, the SRD doesn't actually have stats for how much a backpack can hold. I checked in the PHB and found likewise. Where can I find something that inane?

Hendel
2013-03-20, 08:27 PM
So, the SRD doesn't actually have stats for how much a backpack can hold. I checked in the PHB and found likewise. Where can I find something that inane?
If it helps the Pathfinder PRD says 2 cubic feet of material.

I know that is volume as opposed to weight, but I guess you could have 2 cubic feat of feathers or 2 cubic feat of iron.

Jeraa
2013-03-20, 08:27 PM
The 3.0 Player's Handbook. For some reason, that kind of stuff wasn't included for 3.5.

A backpack can hold 1 cubic foot of material. It doesn't have a weight capacity listed, however.

Lateral
2013-03-20, 08:29 PM
I know that is volume as opposed to weight, but I guess you could have 2 cubic feat of feathers or 2 cubic feat of iron.

Well, volume is the only measure that makes sense. A backpack that could fit two cubic feet of feathers could also fit two cubic feet of iron, but a backpack that could hold ten pounds of iron would probably not be able to hold ten pounds of feathers.

Now, whether it fits and can be lifted is another issue. :smalltongue:

Karnith
2013-03-20, 08:31 PM
The 3.0 Player's Handbook. For some reason, that kind of stuff wasn't included for 3.5.
Obviously no one would ever want to know about that kind of thing.

Luckily, the problem is basically solved by the extra-dimensional storage devices you get access to later in the game.

pbdr
2013-03-20, 08:35 PM
Yeah, the backpack has a volume (it could be anything from 1 to several cubic feet). The character/wearer has an encumbrance weight limit....

Hendel
2013-03-20, 08:52 PM
Well, volume is the only measure that makes sense. A backpack that could fit two cubic feet of feathers could also fit two cubic feet of iron, but a backpack that could hold ten pounds of iron would probably not be able to hold ten pounds of feathers.

Now, whether it fits and can be lifted is another issue. :smalltongue:
I agree but all of a sudden when you go to extradimensional means of holding items, like a Handy Haversack, then it changes slightly. Oh well, it is what it is.

SRD:

It has two side pouches, each of which appears large enough to hold about a quart of material. In fact, each is like a bag of holding and can actually hold material of as much as 2 cubic feet in volume or 20 pounds in weight. The large central portion of the pack can contain up to 8 cubic feet or 80 pounds of material.

mattie_p
2013-03-20, 08:57 PM
Backpacks hold as much stuff as you can get away with, everyone knows that. They also hold your familiar when you forget about them, for instance.

Venger
2013-03-21, 11:39 AM
Obviously no one would ever want to know about that kind of thing.

Luckily, the problem is basically solved by the extra-dimensional storage devices you get access to later in the game.

>implying that backpacks (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=984) aren't extradimensional storage spaces