PDA

View Full Version : Native American Tomahawk Throwing Master

MulletMonk
2013-03-20, 09:17 PM
So I want to make a Two weapon fighting, tomahawk throwing Indian character. I can't be an arcane caster so I'm going with the Champion of the wild variant.

So far I've figured up some sort of a build but I'm not nailed down on anything yet. I was hoping I could get some inspiration from the playground.

1 Ranger (Arcane Hunter CM) (Champion of the Wild CC)
2 Ranger (two Weapon fighting)
3 Barbarian (Lion Totem)
4 Ranger? or Fighter? or Rouge?
5 Ranger? or Fighter? or Rouge?
6 Master Thrower? or Rouge?

any Ideas? Flavor is more important than optimization to me.

Randomguy
2013-03-20, 09:19 PM
Have you considered Bloodstorm Blade from Tomb of Battle? It focuses on throwing a weapon and having it ricochet back to you.

MulletMonk
2013-03-20, 09:25 PM
I know that the book of nine swords has the best martial classes. But don't like the complexity of playing them. static abilities are much easier to keep track of for me.

But if it's just that much better I can probably get over it.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-20, 09:29 PM
Bloodstorm Blade is actually quite simple. Take a level in warblade and you should have all you need.

Talionis
2013-03-21, 03:17 PM
I agree that Master Thrower is really good and I recommend you go into that immediately, if you aren't going to Bloodstorm Blade.

Tome of Battle looks a lot more complicated than it is. And Bloodstorm Blade is really the least complicated class in the whole book. It might be a good way to dabble into Tome of Battle and get your feet wet so to speak.

I don't think you'd want to dilute your BAB for Rogue. You might think about playing a Swift Hunter (Scout/Ranger) Handbook: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=6jll2f2akvhdn6gqrmc4qbq2u1&topic=103.0

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-21, 04:36 PM
Scout seems appropriate. Chingachgook killing Magua at the end of The Last of the Mohicans (1992) is the penultimate example of skirmish in my opinion.

Skirmish even pairs well with the Lion Totem Barbarian dip you have planned.

Scout 4/Barbarian 1/Ranger X/Master Thrower X would be a good base with Swift Hunter. Pick just enough levels of Master Thrower to get the few abilities you want, and then go Ranger all the way.

If you end up with Scout 4/Barb 1/Ranger 13/Master Thrower 2, you'll have +5d6/+4 AC skirmish, and four Favored Enemies. If you end up taking more levels of Master Thrower, a two-level dip into Highland Stalker could prop up your skirmish damage.

As with any skirmish user, Travel Devotion is a good feat. Though you do have Pounce, Travel Devotion would allow you to full attack with your thrown axes, getting skirmish with each one.

Another feat that might be of interest to you as a thrower, is Hurling Charge from Miniatures Handbook. It's not a super great feat, but you might like it for this character type.

MulletMonk
2013-04-08, 03:40 AM
All right we've ran a few sessions since I last posted

So far I'm a Ranger 2 with Arcanists as my favored enemy and the two weapon fighting combat style. I've picked up point blank shot and precise shot as my feats.

Tentatively my next levels will be

3 Barbarian
4 Scout
5 Scout
6 Scout
7 Master Thrower
8 Master Thrower
9 Master Thrower
10 War Blade
11 Bloodstorm Blade
12 Bloodstorm Blade
13 + Ranger

I'm not really set on this build honestly I could forgo the scout for more levels in Master thrower and Bloodstorm Blade.

Maybe something more like this?

3 Barbarian
4 Ranger
5 Warblade
6 Bloodstorm Blade
7 Master Thrower
8 Bloodstorm Blade
9 Bloodstorm Blade
10 Bloodstorm Blade
11 Master Thrower
12 Master Thrower
13 Master Thrower
14 Master Thrower
15 + either back into BloodStorm or Ranger.

So what do you guys think? I want to throw some sort of ax but a throwing ax seams like a waste of the throw anything feat. Is there any good synergy between Bloodstorm Blade and Master Thrower or is it all in my head?

Any help would be much appreciated.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-08, 04:45 AM
Is this character strength-based or dexterity-based? I'm not familiar enough with bloodstorm blade to know which one benefits from that.

Additional ranger levels would help a strength-based character pick up the two-weapon fighting feats for more attacks, and you could spend your feats upon brutal throw and power throw (both found in Complete Adventurer). Brutal throw lets you substitute your dexterity modifier with your strength mod on thrown weapon attack rolls. Power throw has brutal throw as a prerequisite, but also requires strength 13 and power attack, to let you apply power attack to thrown weapon attacks. They both count for fighter bonus feats, if you can afford a dip.

The main problems with strength-based is it will take 9 more levels of ranger to pick up combat style mastery and you're in light armor with (probably) a lower dexterity bonus. Dexterity-based means you can potentially have a high enough AC and purchase the other TWF feats you want on your own while you take scout to pick up skirmish (precision damage, but also provides a small AC bonus), uncanny dodge and fast movement, and if you stick it out for a fourth level a bonus feat, perhaps for far shot, though I suppose you don't need that for entry into master thrower. The master thrower trip shot thrown weapon trick also uses a dexterity check, and the sleight of hand and tumble skills benefit from DEX, while weak spot doesn't get STR added to damage at all.

Socratov
2013-04-08, 05:56 AM
just a voice in the crowd here, but take full masterthrower. The tricks it gives you are wonderful. Then, if you can get some form of sneak attack instead of skirmish (you are a stalking hunter) it should raise your damage quickly (epsecially with craven and the like). The tricks palm throw, sneaky shot and weak spot come to mind if you want to realiably sneak attack (dex denied, and phb said dex denied = sneak). Later on you can spend a feat on martial study for the assassin's stance and finish up with more rogue/sneak attack fighter(unearthed arcana variant) to crank up that damage.

TentacleSurpris
2013-04-08, 10:18 AM
For your barbarian levels, take the Ferocity variant from Cityscape (maybe web enhancement?) That variant gives +4 Dex instead of Con, can be activated as an immediate to get the Dex bonus on initiative. It does take a ranged weapon penalty past 30 ft when raging, but that shouldn't matter because you're skirmishing.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-08, 11:04 AM
The tricks palm throw, sneaky shot and weak spot come to mind if you want to realiably sneak attack (dex denied, and phb said dex denied = sneak).Palm throw doesn't work out of the box with this build, because it doesn't use "little" thrown weapons (though there is the "ask your DM" clause). Sneaky shot requires successful sleight of hand checks, a skill which so far doesn't look to be on this build's class skill list until entering that prestige class.

Socratov
2013-04-09, 03:57 AM
Palm throw doesn't work out of the box with this build, because it doesn't use "little" thrown weapons (though there is the "ask your DM" clause). Sneaky shot requires successful sleight of hand checks, a skill which so far doesn't look to be on this build's class skill list until entering that prestige class.

That is why i advised rogue instead of scout or ranger. Palmthrow needs you small weap ok ns so you can hold 2 of them in 1 hand. I would actually ask the dm if a throwing hatchet (tomahawk is not so big) would qualify. Else go for double toss.