PDA

View Full Version : Familiar on a Divine Caster

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-20, 09:23 PM
I know that Obtain familiar will let me get one as an arcane caster. Now, is there anyway to get one as a Divine Caster except as an Adept? Otherwise can I cheat my way into Obtain Familiar?

Erik Vale
2013-03-20, 09:33 PM
Magic Training (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/magical-training--1834/) followed by Practiced Spellcaster. (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/practiced-spellcaster--2231/) It's three feats for a basic, but that will do it without dips.

Or, for less feat use, dip [arcane class here] for first, Precocious apprentice for a level 2 spell, then advance casting as normal, pick up a Divine/Arcane theurge for 2 levels, and you have it with only one feat. Or you could dip arcane and practiced spellcaster.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-20, 09:49 PM
I dreaded as much. Touching on arcane does not really fit this characters design at all, so it is either feat tax or adept. I will need to look at the rules for flaws.

8wGremlin
2013-03-20, 09:56 PM
If you don't mind 3.0 material, (still valid) The Mystic Wanderer gives you a familiar (Magic of Faerun, pg 35)

you need:

non lawful
Craft(Alchemy) - 3 ranks
Diplomacy - 8 ranks
Knowledge (Nature) - 3 ranks
Perform - 3 ranks
Profession (herbalist) - 3 ranks
Feat: Iron will
Ability to cast 2nd level divine spells

gives you a familiar at 2nd level, Gem magic, sleep, suggestion, charm monster, greater charm 1/day each, brew potions, Greater potions*, and timeless body as well as increasing spell casting

Edit: it also gives you sacred/profane CHA mod to AC if you wear no armour

Greater Potions, allow the Mystic Wanderer to Brew potions as if she had ALL 0-1 sorcerer/wizard spells on her list, this increases to all 3rd level spells at level 10.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-03-20, 09:59 PM
I more than half suspect that your DM would rather just let you take the feat as a divine caster than have you jump through silly hoops to get the same result.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-20, 10:04 PM
That actually works out really well. The three level dip I want from that fits perfectly into the gap until I grab Hexer. Thank you.

Elric VIII
2013-03-20, 11:49 PM
If you are a Druid, you can use the Urban Companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) ACF. It's basically a Familiar with more health, no exp loss, and requiring only 1 day to replace.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-21, 12:22 AM
I specifically wanted a familiar for when I got into hexer using a shugenja.

8wGremlin
2013-03-21, 12:59 AM
I specifically wanted a familiar for when I got into hexer using a shugenja.

why?
Does hexer do anything for your familiar as it's only going to be master level = 3 if you take mystic wanderer 3 levels.

Love to see what you're up to.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-21, 08:58 AM
It is purely for flavor purposes. General backstory is that the character was a shugenja mystic living in the wood. He freaked out when a group of hunters killed an animal and left its decipitated corpse to rot. He, in turn, brutally killed the hunters for their trespass. Turns out the animal was sacred to Karaan, the beast god, who was most impressed with the character's response, and so blessed him with more bestial power (feral template). The guy went to wear the campaign took place to work for the Cleric's guild to try to garner enough support for someone to cast miracle on him to remove this gift. Karaan, not wanting to lose promising worshiper, gave the character the power to curse his enemies (hexer PrC) and a winter wolf familiar (improved familiar).

Mechanically, the d8 on Mystic will give my familiar more HP, which is cool. I will not get a lot of the good stuff until I either leave Hexer for Mystic or trade my Hexer levels for mystic levels, but that will be RP dependent.

meemaas
2013-03-21, 09:02 AM
Well. You could dip into pathfinder material. Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) gets you a familiar that scales at your level minus three for just a skill focus prerequisite.