PDA

View Full Version : Shatter/Baleful Utterance

Yogibear41
2013-03-20, 09:59 PM
I want to be sure the way I understand this invocation is the right way. Is it correct that you can use Baleful Utterance( as the spell shatter) to destroy a non magical weapon or armor with a weight of up to 10 pounds per caster level, and the object must pass a will save to survive?

Reading the description of shatter it never specifically says armor or weapon but lists objects, I just want to be sure that this would apply to weapons, armor etc.

Zenoroth
2013-03-20, 10:25 PM
I have a few questions about the same thing:
Do nonmagical objects weapons or armor get a saving throw?
Does it matter if its being worn?
Can Shatter affect magical weapons or armor (with a will save ofc)?

Some of the questions may seem dumb, but they're there to make sure I get it right xD

Zenoroth
2013-03-20, 10:44 PM
Shatter spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shatter.htm) and Saving throw rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow).

1. No, unless they are attended by a creature, which triggers a save by the creature to determine whether or not the object survives.

2. Yes. See above.

3. Yes.

Thanks a lot!

Yogibear41
2013-03-20, 11:03 PM
Can't sunder a magic weapon according to the spell unless im reading it wrong: sunders a single solid, nonmagical object;

Yogibear41
2013-03-20, 11:19 PM
Would be way to good if you could lol I can see it now, I cast sunder against your epic +20 sword of epicness!!! Psh the save DC is so low... few seconds later NOOOOO natural 1!!!!! NOOOOOOO

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-20, 11:46 PM
Can't sunder a magic weapon according to the spell unless im reading it wrong: sunders a single solid, nonmagical object;

This is why we love dispel magic, ladies and gents.

Cerlis
2013-03-21, 12:34 AM
yes its main benefit is taking out mundane arms and armor with some resistance (the creatures will save possibly saving it), or isntantly destroying nearby mundane objects.

So at high level you could shatter doors, crates, maybe small boulders with but a word (literally) all day all the time.

Like prestigitation its a matter of thinking creatively.

(and dont forget about it harming crystaline creatures and mass shattering of glass.)

Socratov
2013-03-21, 03:53 AM
And that's the story of how a 3rd level character destroyed Mjolnir, Hammer of the Gods!
psh... with a dispell magic check you can do it at first level (warlock baleful utterance, never leave home without it :smallcool:)

snip

Like prestigitation its a matter of thinking creatively.

(and dont forget about it harming crystaline creatures and mass shattering of glass.)

nail, meet hammer, full on the head...

Yogibear41
2013-03-21, 08:56 AM
Even if you dispell magic on a magic item its still a magic item it just loses its properties for a small amount of time.

Socratov
2013-03-21, 09:21 AM
Even if you dispell magic on a magic item its still a magic item it just loses its properties for a small amount of time.

It's suppressed and thus sunderable acoording to the rules (afb right now, but somehwere in the shatter rules it's said that after dispelling you can shatter the object)