PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Fix Quick and Easy!

Tork
2013-03-20, 10:53 PM
So Fighter fixes are all the rage, so I'll post mine.

Hit Dice: 2D10

Skills: as per Core, plus the fighter can pick one skill to add to his list as a class skill at 1st level. Any time the fighter gains a bonus fighter feat, they may also add one skill to their class list. If the fighter does not wish to add another skill, they can take Skill Mastery in any skill they have with a +3 bonus.

Attack: The fighter gets a bonus to hit equal to his class level.
Defense: The fighter gets a bonus to AC equal to his class level.
Protection: The fighter gets DR/- equal to his class level.

Pack Mule (Ex):[/B] Fighters are used to long journeys with a heavy pack and the use of a wide variety of weaponry and equipment. A 3rd level Fighter suffers no penalties for carrying a medium load, and may retrieve stored items from his person without provoking an attack of opportunity.

The Bigger They Are... (Ex):[/B] A true warrior knows that size is not the same thing as strength. Beginning at 4th level, when attempting a combat maneuver against a larger foe, a fighter gains a +4 bonus to opposed Strength checks, grapple checks, and the like, effectively cancelling out one size category's worth of difference.

At 8th level, this bonus improves to +8 against foes who are two size categories or more larger than him, effectively cancelling out two size categories worth of difference. Against foes one size larger than him, this bonus is still only +4. For example, a human fighter would have a +4 bonus to grapple checks against and ogre (large size), but a +8 bonus against a cloud giant (huge size).

Fight the Foe: Starting at 5th level, a fighter can make astounding moves to fight a foe. Once per day per class level, for a number of rounds equal to his class level, the fighter can move up to double their base move in any direction, as long as they do so to strike a foe. This movement is pure bonus movement for any round it is taken in, so the fighter still gets his normal movement and actions for a round. This even allows a fighter to attack flying foes.

Double Strike: At 6th level, a fighter may make two attacks as a standard action or on the end of a charge; the second attack does suffer a -5.

Forge Lore: A 7th level Fighter can produce magical weapons and equipment as if he had a Caster Level equal to his level.

Quickened Strikes (Ex): At 9th level, a Fighter is capable of performing a number of attacks in quick succession. Instead of being a full round action, a full attack is instead treated as a standard action. This means that the Fighter can take a move action in addition to a full attack each round.

Pounce: At 10th level the fighter gains pounce, as the creature ability; a fighter gains the ability to make a full attack at the end of a charge.

Versatile Actions (Ex):Versatile Actions (Ex): The fighter is an adept combatant, able to maximize the effectiveness of his every step and swing in combat. Beginning at 11th level, a fighter receives two standard actions on each of his turns, rather than a standard action and a move action. Each of the fighter's standard actions may be turned into move actions, as normal. This allows a fighter to make two attacks at his full base attack bonus each turn (provided he doesn't otherwise move except to make a 5-foot step), drink two potions, activate two spell completion items, and so on.

Lunging Attacks (Ex): At 11th level Fighters may add 5 feet to the reach of any of their weapons.

Shatter Barrier (Ex): At 15th level, the fighter's experience of dealing with magic allows her to defeat some magical protections. He can make a dispel check against any force effect(such as a wall of force or force cage) that she is adjacent to by making an attack(the attack just counts as used, he doesn't make an actual attack). This dispels as greater dispel magic, with no caster level limit, and uses the fighters HD as her caster level.

So did I cover the big things a fighter needs to be a fighter....that is, the ability to fight? Would this fighter still be a good fighter at high levels?

Other then the by class level bonuses, I like Fight the Foe the best. The idea that a fighter can move and strike a foe in any direction.

Just to Browse
2013-03-20, 11:06 PM
This is a bunch of buffs from the tome fighter slapped onto very bloated numbers. This makes the fighter as overpowered as hell without adding much of any versatility (the only real out-of-combat option in forge lore and I think you still need to know spells for that).

Grod_The_Giant
2013-03-20, 11:47 PM
I kind of agree. It's not as bad if you take off the Attack/Defense/Protection bonuses, but apart from that... a lot of extra attacks, I guess? It's more mobile, and can dish out even more damage... Forge Lore and Shatter Barrier are useful, although the latter is odd... The Bigger They are helps, of course... Skills don't help-- you don't get new skills fast enough, and you don't have the points to put in them. Also, you really should stagger the skill boosts with the bonus feats, just to fill in dead levels.

But yeah. Too much number inflation, too many extra attacks, not enough utility.

Also, I don't mind if you take inspiration from (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13847478#post13847478)my (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14514029#post14514029)work (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276280), but if you're going to copy an ability verbatim-- and then post it-- I'd appreciate a bit of credit. And maybe a "hey, can I borrow this?" PM.

Quiddle
2013-03-20, 11:54 PM
This helps with combat but to climb in tiers what fighters need is more stuff to do out of combat.

AuraTwilight
2013-03-20, 11:57 PM
Er...so they get two Hit Dice for every level? Just give them a d20 Hit Die.

Carl
2013-03-21, 12:20 AM
Some interesting idea's here, but yes overpowered and goes a bit too far IMO whilst not touching the skill issues hard enough. The Bigger they Are is amusing since I'm planning a similar feature for a home brew class and some other idea's touch on some other concepts I've had for various classes, but overall i don't feel like the complete package does much besides make the fighter really insane in melee. It feels like a bunch of random idea's rather than a carefully thought out system.

A lot of good thinking going on for the individual idea's.

Durazno
2013-03-21, 03:23 AM
You could also make the hit-die a d10 and give them an ability that says that they get 1d10 bonus hp when they gain a level of Fighter. This would keep the same curve while avoiding the Hit Dice confusion.

Yitzi
2013-03-21, 10:18 AM
You could also make the hit-die a d10 and give them an ability that says that they get 1d10 bonus hp when they gain a level of Fighter. This would keep the same curve while avoiding the Hit Dice confusion.

I actually like the idea of them getting 2 hit dice per level, with the resulting effects on the effects of various spells.

Just to Browse
2013-03-21, 12:01 PM
The only problem is base advancement confusion. If I'm getting 2 hit dice per level, and I have good BAB, am I getting +1 BAB (as per class level) or +2 BAB (as per hit dice) when I level up? Same thing goes for saves. In addition, two hit dice means you go up by 2 ECL every time you take a level in fighter, which is weird.

Not that these things can't be fixed with some explanation, of course, but 1d10 bonus HP per level is much easier--this just seems to lend itself to saving through abuse.

nonsi
2013-03-21, 01:51 PM
The whole story in one sentence: There is no Quick and Easy Fighter Fix.
Not one that works anyway.

Glimbur
2013-03-21, 04:20 PM
I actually like the idea of them getting 2 hit dice per level, with the resulting effects on the effects of various spells.

It also has an effect on skill point caps, and BAB, and saving throws, and qualifying for PrCs and feats and etc. People get one hit die per level, and changing that alters a lot of other things in the game as well. I would not advise it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-03-21, 05:55 PM
It also has an effect on skill point caps, and BAB, and saving throws, and qualifying for PrCs and feats and etc. People get one hit die per level, and changing that alters a lot of other things in the game as well. I would not advise it.

Agreed. It's too fundamental to the system and to many moving parts within the system. Design-wise it's not only a poor idea, but it's also not worth the paragraphs of explanation it would take to account for all the unexpected interactions.

Logic
2013-03-21, 09:01 PM
If you are dead set on retaining it, Quickened Strikes should be granted at 11th level instead.

EDIT: And perhaps the following abilities work better at their new listed levels?
Versatile Actions at 15th

Lunging Attacks at 9th

Shatter Barrier at 17th

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-27, 08:03 PM
Some interesting idea's here, but yes overpowered and goes a bit too far IMO whilst not touching the skill issues hard enough. The Bigger they Are is amusing since I'm planning a similar feature for a home brew class and some other idea's touch on some other concepts I've had for various classes, but overall i don't feel like the complete package does much besides make the fighter really insane in melee. It feels like a bunch of random idea's rather than a carefully thought out system.

A lot of good thinking going on for the individual idea's.

Just bolding this to make sure it's clear that Grod originally wrote that mechanic.