PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Class

ThatKreacher
2013-03-20, 11:32 PM
I have a question for all you Playground goers. What is your favourite class, whether it be prestige or base, based on it's fluff? Personally, I'm a big fan of druids. I like the idea of nature lovers with the ability to turn into bears and attack those who don't :smallbiggrin:. I also like Walkers of the Waste, who try spread the harshness of the desert across the world, and eventually become a dry lich, which is an amazing idea. So, what about you guys?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-21, 12:04 AM
Hmm.

I love Archivists for flavor - theology is something that interests me in real life, an I love the idea of a divine caster who isn't dedicated to a particular god or ideology, but instead studies the trappings of different deities, while being committed to a more abstract notion of faith and the divine.

For crunch, Artificers are not just powerful, but fun - one of my favourite characters was a Paladin-themed melee artificer. He had things like a blade he'd made himself, with his oaths worked into the metal as it was folded and re-folded, a white cloak of resistance with prayers embroidered around it... Artificer basically gives you license to BYO class out of magic items; you don't have to break the game, you can just build yourself a nice, functional version of anything you want to be.

Mage of the Arcane Order is wonderful for sorcerers, though I've never gotten to play it.

Finally, I recently discovered Anima Mage, from Tome of Battle - that looks like it would be an absolute hoot to play. An actually effective dual-progression class, with lovely class features to boot, and since it's progressing binding and a casting class, you don't have any overlap, or any "But I can only cast one spell per turn anyway" stuff.

white lancer
2013-03-21, 12:17 AM
Rangers are my favorite fluff-wise, though a lot of that is probably my LOTR Aragorn fandom speaking. I've always liked the idea of the guardians of the wild/roads who are both skilled and dangerous (Scouts also fall into this to a lesser extent). Paladins are also a favorite.

Tokuhara
2013-03-21, 12:30 AM
Depends on what I want.

When it comes to pure power, I love druid & wizard. Simply put, these two classes are at the top of the Tier 1 Heap.

When it comes to fluff, Crusader, Warblade, & Oriental Adventures Samurai (the not crap one) are my definite favorites. If you look at them, if built right, they are all in the dead center at Tier 3 (crusader is the best tank period, warblade rivals barbarian in pure damage output, and OA Samurai is a fantastic 2 level starter dip for any melee type who isn't non-lawful. It's fighter with 3 bonus feats (Ancestral Daisho is essentially Ancestral Relic twice, then level 2 is the first bonus feat, putting it a grand 1 feat behind fighter.)

When it comes to PrCs and the like, I love Deepwarden, Deepstone Sentinel, Stonelord, Ironsoul Forgemaster, Dwarf Paragon, Stoneblessed, Runesmith, Ollam, Hammer of Moradin, and Battlerager.

Akal Saris
2013-03-21, 12:41 AM
I also love druids :)

I think my favorite class in terms of RP potential is the binder from tome of magic.

My favorite prestige class is the malconvoker from complete mage. Summoning evil to fight evil? Awesome.

Grasharm
2013-03-21, 12:43 AM
My Favorites are when you get to know the rules well enough you can do things like my VOP paladin/monk ascetic knight. Running around being the ultra good guy in a burlap robe and with no sword or armor. Just a plain wooden quarterstaff that doubles as a walking stick. You know. Take a well known archtype and turn it on it's head.

Deathra13
2013-03-21, 12:51 AM
Gotta be the rage mage, I love the idea of a mage who taps into his anger to increase his spells and just lets loose with a storm of arcane fury.

Base class I think itd have to be the truenamer, I love the concept behind it.

Grinner
2013-03-21, 12:54 AM
I've been known to obsess over the Binder.

Jon_Dahl
2013-03-21, 02:00 AM
Fighter all the way.

Arcanist
2013-03-21, 02:13 AM
Artificer and StP Erudite.

Artificer: I like the whole image of the Master Technologist. The man who uses his wits and equipment to resolve his problems over sheer brawn, also being able to shout "SCIENCE" at the end of every encounter is just added gravy :smallamused:

StP Erudite: Being a Wizard is Cool, being an Erudite? Same thing. But being Both? YES, YES! DEAR GOD FOR THE LOVE OF SCIENCE YES!!! Being a master of both the Mind and the Arcane is just fantastic to me since it allows me to mix my two favorite options together. If I cannot be a StP Erudite I'd gladly be a Cerebremancer, it's just the idea of being a Theurge-in-a-can is awesome to me :smallwink:

LTwerewolf
2013-03-21, 02:17 AM
Iaijutsu Master, psion, archivist, and archer build (not really one class I go there) are the ones I really like depending on how I feel that day.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-21, 02:19 AM
Psion. For the fluff: it's the class that can say it truly uses it's own power (Wizards need weave (or is it just Toril thing?), Cleric & Druids get it from gods, Figters need gear...).

Ageir
2013-03-21, 02:21 AM
Barbarian for me, I have a thing with Norsemen. Fighters are awesome too but barbarians. just seem to impress me more often.

Stormageddon
2013-03-21, 02:26 AM
Bards, do everything and look good doing it.

Dhavaer
2013-03-21, 02:47 AM
Warblade or Duskblade. Beatstick with an edge.

Gildedragon
2013-03-21, 02:48 AM
Factotum What stormageddon said ++
:P

or Swordsage They can be slick, badmonkey and generally awesome both in and out of combat. They have all sorts of awesome moves .

Socratov
2013-03-21, 03:50 AM

me too, but I also like warlocks a lot.

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-21, 04:48 AM
Scout and swiftblade.

Before scout came out, I was always trying to combine ranger, rogue, and sometimes barbarian or monk into a useful whole; going for that perfect flavorful mix that matches exactly what I imagine.

Before swiftblade, I was trying to find ways to make my scout/transmuter into something playable.

Pesimismrocks
2013-03-21, 08:49 AM
Factotums are the best skill monkeys ever. I love them. Great fun to role-play too.

Dragonfire Adept are also great fluff wise, even if they don't measure up mechanically.

Bnox
2013-03-21, 08:50 AM

I agree right three, but also wizards :) like the study and gain power :)

Greenish
2013-03-21, 09:01 AM
I'll have to go with Artificer and Factotum. Magic-as-technology combat engineer is awesome, and factotum's fluff is basically "adventurer (archeologist optional)".

When it comes to PrCs and the like, I love Deepwarden, Deepstone Sentinel, Stonelord, Ironsoul Forgemaster, Dwarf Paragon, Stoneblessed, Runesmith, Ollam, Hammer of Moradin, and Battlerager.I'm sensing a trend here. :smalltongue:

weezul
2013-03-21, 09:41 AM
I've always tended towards the more melee based classes, but in my current campaign I am playing a witch (PF rules). Gotta say she's my favourite, hands down. So much flavour!

Casper13
2013-03-21, 09:58 AM
There is only one class for me: Rogue
I love the complexity and flexibility in combining with other classes. The shadow sneaking assassine, bluffing social rogue, dexterous tumbling duelist, mechanical trained trap/device expert.

Callin
2013-03-21, 10:09 AM
Like Freakycheeseman I like the Archivist for the same reasons.

The only one i ever got to play though was a Necromancer Debuffer. Lots of Mass Curse of Ill Fortune and Wracks, Wither Limb, and a few other fun ones. With a few party buffs. Archivist 5/Church Inquisitor 5 (few minor entry changes for fluff)

Other than that I like concepts more than Classes. Archers, "Bladesingers", Swordsmaster to name my favorites.

Amphetryon
2013-03-21, 10:27 AM
Base Class: Dread Necromancer

Prestige Class: JPM

RolandDeschain
2013-03-21, 10:31 AM
Ranger and Scout for the fluff. My favorite all time character was a Ranger/Scout that used a heavy, repeating crossbow....very nice.

Currently playing an Abjurant Champion and it's ridiculous :smallsmile:

weezul
2013-03-21, 10:33 AM
I think it really comes down to how things play out and what you invest into creating an interesting character. My friend had a weak paladin (low STR/CON). In fact, his henchman was more proficient in combat! But he roleplayed the character with elegant beauty - complete with wracking coughs and annoying religious conviction. We all loved and hated the character, but there was no denying the personality he created.

Komatik
2013-03-21, 10:50 AM
Druid, Warblade, Binder*, Warlock*

*want more simultaneous binds / invocations known so, so badly.

Keneth
2013-03-21, 10:52 AM
Warlock, no doubt about it. I like them so much, I've remade the class from the ground up three times now. My last take on it (adapted for Pathfinder) is pretty damn sweet, if I do say so myself, but I didn't enjoy it any less when I played one by 3.5 RAW.

Selein
2013-03-21, 10:56 AM
For fluff: Drunken Master

For Srs: I loved Duskblade. Blew the party away (literally) when I decided to look through CW for feats.
Beguiler because your limit is really your imagination and perfect for the Cityscape game I found myself in.

Eldan
2013-03-21, 10:59 AM
Binder and wizard. Most interesting in both mechanics and flavour.

Raimun
2013-03-21, 11:16 AM
Clerics are fun.

First of all, they come in all flavors. Warrior, scholar, necromancer, healer (ugh...), pyromaniac, seer, archer, summoner, trickery, support, face and so on. You can even mix these archetypes. It all depends which god or ideal you worship and what Domains you choose. Or which spells you choose at the morning.

Second, they can both fight in melee with weapons and cast spells. What more do you want in a fantasy game? They're versatile but still powerful.

Third, I like the fact that I can also help people with my spells. I've always thought that healing is a powerful ability in games but that is just the start.

Fourth, lots of hidden benefits. People tend to underestimate Clerics because they've played games like WoW and assume too much... or too little.

Shining Wrath
2013-03-21, 11:21 AM
I like the "Sorcerer with a bloodline" fluff; you have this power that was born into you and you can barely control it. Plus, you're good looking.

I like Warblade flavor - the classic "All I care about is getting better at fighting" class.

The Artificer appeals to my engineer side. I've never played a Warforged Artificer but really ought to do it sometime. The quintessential self-made man.

And yes, there's just something about a Paladin. "I am ready to die to defend the weak, the oppressed, the victims of evil - but I'd much rather that evil died, instead, and my god has empowered me to make that happen".

Jeff the Green
2013-03-21, 11:32 AM
I really like beguilers. They're the sweet spot for casters, I think: a tightly focused list that still gives them great versatility but few "I win" buttons, stuff they can do without spells other than know stuff and plink away with a crossbow, and a unique mechanic.

I also love walker in the waste, even though it's probably a bit suboptimal, shadow adept, and dracolexi.

Druid, Warblade, Binder*, Warlock*

*want more simultaneous binds / invocations known so, so badly.

Check out the Twice-Bound Soul in my sig. It's a binder/warlock theurge that gives additional invocations known based on what you've bound and some new things to do with your eldritch blast. It's still a work in progress, but it's probably playable for the first five levels already.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-21, 11:34 AM
Hmm... I just got a cool idea for a warforged gestalt Artificer/Crusader - he'd connect shaping his spirit through his vows with shaping his physical body through crafting... hmm.

Now I just need to find a DM who allows Gestalt, Eberron and Tome of Battle.

ddude987
2013-03-21, 12:11 PM
Warshaper. Something about being able to make infinite tentacles...
Also throwing Soul Eater onto a warshaper for ALL the negative levels.

thatryanguy
2013-03-21, 12:14 PM
Fluff? Truenamer, hands down. I was excited as hell when I found out they were a thing. Then I actually read about them and their mechanics, and I'm sure everyone else here knows how that went.

TheGeckoKing
2013-03-21, 12:15 PM
Telflammar Shadowlord has gotta be my overall favorite class. Nothing beats going *POOF* into thin air and then reappearing behind your opponent to shank them into giblets. The semi-immortality while in the dark is a bonus, too.

TheNoodleGod
2013-03-21, 12:20 PM
nothing beats the monk killing a man in one punch

limejuicepowder
2013-03-21, 12:34 PM
Avenging Executioner and Menacing Brute. These 2 classes could probably be combined in to one good class instead of 2 fairly poor classes, but I still love the fluff of each.

Kyberwulf
2013-03-21, 12:41 PM
I love the Dread Commando from Heroes of Battle. It's just a cool class to have in the party. If your talking about prestige classes.

From just Base classes. I would chose Fighters, or Rangers.

Venger
2013-03-21, 12:47 PM
I also love druids :)

I think my favorite class in terms of RP potential is the binder from tome of magic.

My favorite prestige class is the malconvoker from complete mage. Summoning evil to fight evil? Awesome.

+1 for hipster clerics.

malconvoker's actually in complete scoundrel (for folks who want to look it up) the only way to play summoner as far as I'm concerned. I play mine with a 1 lvl binder dip for naberius so I can nab bluff and diplo as class skills and have mastery with them 24/7. free ability healing doesn't hurt either for dem corrupt conjuration spells you can cast with impunity

Avenging Executioner and Menacing Brute. These 2 classes could probably be combined in to one good class instead of 2 fairly poor classes, but I still love the fluff of each.

I too like menacing brute. its dumpster diving as a class feature is relatively funny.

I disagree that AE is a poor class though. If you build around fear (which you should as an AE) then you can destroy everyone who's susceptible to fear.

My favorite base class is factotum. great high t3, low 4, fun for an experienced player, great intro to the game for noobs since they can focus in a zillion directions to find which one they think is the most fun, comes with a built-in mindbender dip at 6, and lets you outshine anyone any time.

favorite prc is chameleon. you may not get the last tier of spells, but being able to cast any arcane or divine spell is too good to pass up. tons of bookkeeping, and prcing out afterwards is awks, since you can't use your foci to qualify for anything, but it's nice not to have any pressure to, for example, keep up casting once you're outie.

OverdrivePrime
2013-03-21, 01:25 PM
By order of hearts, from squeee to wooo: Ranger, Warblade, Bard, Wu Jen, Spirit Shaman, Druid (without the unsightly shapeshifting), Barbarian, Witch, Martial Artist.

As for PrCs, if there was a divine casting version of the Jade Phoenix Mage PRC, that's what I'd play pretty much all the time. Spirit Shaman 4, Warblade 2, Jade Phoenix Shaman X. Just no shapeshifting. I'm waaaaay too much of an egotist to shapeshift into something that doesn't look like me.

I love being self-sufficient, supporting my friends, smashing evil in the face, and calling upon the power of nature to make me more awesome. I prefer to be the Papa Wolf or the Big Brother, but because I'm unwaveringly Neutral Good, I tend to get turned into the Designated Hero role.

The Trickster
2013-03-21, 01:36 PM
While I don't preach the Tier System like others, I can't help but notice that I enjoy all of the T3 classes, beguilers and swordsages specifically. I like classes with versatility, but can't just flat out dominate without some help or real cleverness.

I love...LOVE illusions...almost in an unhealthy way. I also enjoy Shadowcraft Mages, but not because they can be broken. I enjoy them because most games I play always end up in a fight where some guy won't fall for my illusions. With ShaCraMage, I can at least blast 'em.

I dislike fighting classes mostly, because going "I swing my sword" every turn gets boring. At least ToB classes get some nifty stuff to fluff the class up.

togapika
2013-03-21, 01:45 PM
Hexblade & Warlock

I love the idea of an anti mage type fighter who curses people

Greenish
2013-03-21, 01:58 PM
Ruby Knight Vindicator has pretty neat fluff, what with being a champion (and an assassin) of an unpopular faith. Sneaking in full plate is a cool image (even if the developers forgot that Move Silently is a separate skill), and the Stern Lady is an interesting deity.

ThatKreacher
2013-03-21, 02:21 PM
Another favourite of mine has to be the Shadowcaster. I've always wanted to make a 14th level NPC who uses the fundamental that makes ink over and over again to make a successful business.

I also like Cloistered Clerics. I once rolled up a Goblin who had lived in a library all his life. He was kept hidden, read books and was extremely smart. Shame I only got to use him once :smallfrown:

Yael
2013-03-21, 09:41 PM
Monk, because hating him it's so mainstream... Ok, not really :smallbiggrin:

I love any caster class, or any class that uses charisma as a primary (or secondary) stat, I love pretty but damn easygoing and cool characters :wink:

TheMogget
2013-03-21, 09:58 PM
I've noticed a distinct lack of Psions in this thread. I like psions the best probably because I love the idea of just manipulating the world around you with just the force of your will and mental power.

Wizards have to speak, perform hand gestures, use material components, keep track of a spellbook, and more. Same with pretty much all arcane casters, minus the spellbook. Psions use their mind to stop time, send you forward in time, manipulate your body, your mind, turn you into crystal, create energy and destroy you with it in a variety of exciting ways, and more.

While a wizard can do all of this as well, psions can do it all without having to even lift a finger. They don't need any form of material (besides exp), are incredibly versatile, have a lot of neat fluff. I actually played an armless psion once, and the fact that I can even do that is reason enough to love this class.

Also, as far as PRC's go, Reaping Mauler is the best. Who doesn't love a PRC based entirely on wrestling? Shame it's only five levels. Pyrokineticist is also cool, just because I love the idea of manipulating energy.

Other classes include Warblade, Swordsage, Crusader, Monk, and Wu Jen.

Coidzor
2013-03-21, 10:04 PM
Fluff-wise? Probably Ranger, but then, I might be misremembering what the actual canon fluff is with my own personal fanon. Being handy in a fight, knowing one's arse from a bumble bee, having a mystical tie to nature without being a slave to it... All of these ideas appeal to me.

Similarly Bard is pretty high up there because I like the whole connection between music and magic. Execution is less than ideal, even when you can break things like inspire courage or sublime chord one's way up to Tier 2.

Hmm... I just got a cool idea for a warforged gestalt Artificer/Crusader - he'd connect shaping his spirit through his vows with shaping his physical body through crafting... hmm.

Now I just need to find a DM who allows Gestalt, Eberron and Tome of Battle.

Well, at least you have a slight in with MM3 featuring warforged as well at least.

You'd probably have more luck with getting the last two and a homebrew PrC than all three though, but I'm splitting hairs.

OREO
2013-03-21, 10:10 PM
...... Fighter ......

edit - had to add extra crap to the post because the message was too short apparently (0.o).

LTwerewolf
2013-03-21, 11:02 PM
I've noticed a distinct lack of Psions in this thread.

They've been mentioned a few times.

gallagher
2013-03-21, 11:45 PM
Spellthieves are my favorite class, and i am a big fan of Unseen Seer

CardCaptor
2013-03-21, 11:56 PM
In my personal opinion, the Spirit Shaman is my favourite class. I love its spellcasting system, and it has diverse class features which makes it effective in any situation, even if spirits aren't involved due to its spells.

As for my favourite PrC, it's probably Chameleon or Master of Masks.

tadkins
2013-03-22, 06:01 AM
Wizards. Just because I like using magic to make pretty colors. Plus the whole idea of playing a brainiac, being the guy that knows everything, etc etc. Partly why the Loremaster is my favorite PrC for the Wizard.

Tvtyrant
2013-03-22, 06:10 AM
Shadowcasters are my favorite base class. They make the character feel like they get better at what they do, to the point where it is truly automatic for them.

My favorite build is the Rainbow Warsnake. Because I love caster Clerics, and it takes that concept up a notch.

DigoDragon
2013-03-22, 06:25 AM
Warblade or Duskblade. Beatstick with an edge.

That's my wife's philosophy. She likes picking a class like those and sprinkle a little fighter dip for extra feats before going to town on the monsters. She has lots of fun with that.

I've only ever played as clerics since I rarely sit in as a PC, but I do like the concept of a Cleric/Rogue combo. That was the last D&D character I had and I did enjoy being divinely crafty. :smallbiggrin:

Vaz
2013-03-22, 07:46 AM
Ardent from Complete Psionic. I love the ideal of mantles and as a Psionic Cleric but fun, and HOT DAMN that Dominant Ideal is fun.

Plus, Manifester Level based advancement is fairly unique, rather than Caster Level. Plus Psionics is my new buddy; I'm seriously going to have to look into combining that AND meldshaping.

Totemist used to be favourite, but then I've got my head around Psionics, and I'm loving it.

Spell to Power Erudites are equally awesome; however I do so much more prefer being able to use it in game, and StP Erudites aren't.

Tvtyrant
2013-03-22, 07:50 AM
Spell to Power Erudites are equally awesome; however I do so much more prefer being able to use it in game, and StP Erudites aren't.

You don't have to play them to their full potential. It is kind of like playing a Wizard in that regard.

navar100
2013-03-22, 08:01 AM
Crusader
Warblade
Pathfinder Paladin
Pathfinder Cleric
Pathfinder Oracle
Pathfinder Psion/Telepath

The game mechanics of all these classes are very appealing to me. I would have fun. As of now I'm having a blast playing an Oracle - two campaigns, one Life Mystery the other Ancestors Mystery. Finally a divine spontaneous caster I can enjoy. It's how I always wanted to play a cleric but never could. It is great joy spamming Bull's Strength and Shield of Faith on the party warriors and myself in preparation for a battle. Energy Body in Life Mystery ROCKS!

PeglegJim
2013-03-22, 08:08 AM
Clerics

though strangely enough I prefer clerics of non-good religions because a lot of the time those clerics end up coming off the same as paladins or saccharine healers .

Gwendol
2013-03-22, 08:11 AM
Clerics and bards, for different reasons.

Curmudgeon
2013-03-22, 12:34 PM
Rogue. The base class is flawed in many ways, but there are fixes for almost all the issues. You'll need over a dozen books if you're building a competent Rogue character, but what good is it to buy all those D&D supplements if you don't make use of them? :smallwink: The class has more flexibility than anything else in the game. Flexibility is good. And having a character who can contribute usefully all the time, rather than just in combat, makes D&D much more fun to play. :smallbiggrin:

The one niggling problem: why is the archetype for stealthy classes lacking Hide in Plain Sight? :smallconfused: The class ought to have something like Camouflage at level 3, and Hide in Plain Sight at level 6, instead of the useless trap sense. :smallannoyed:

Zach J.
2013-03-22, 12:55 PM
I love the idea of psions. I hope I get to play one some day.

Drelua
2013-03-22, 01:02 PM
My favourite class would have to be Monk, just because I love the idea of running around half-naked punching things (which, oddly, my DM finds far mroe acceptable than using a rapier unless, of course, you're a rogue :smallconfused:) while everyone else is standing inside of a tin can waving a big sword around. I also like that it's underpowered because that way I don't make my whole party look bad by being the only one in my group that knows the first thing about optimization.

Seriously, I once asked someone in my group why they don't play a sorcerer instead of a wizard if they're just going to memorize the same spells every single day, and they said it's because they don't know how sorcerers work. We've been playing for more than five years. :smallannoyed:

GreenETC
2013-03-22, 01:26 PM
I do really have a love for ToB classes, so it comes to me as no surprise that my favorite class, or PrC really, is Shadow Sun Ninja. The concept of being a brooding anti-hero just works so much better when you're literally inches away from your character becoming a villain.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-22, 01:32 PM
...I am very tempted to try to find a Tome-of-Battle only game now. I imagine it could actually be a hoot.

Myrddin0001
2013-03-22, 01:42 PM
I'm an actor IRL so I love classes with flavor and fluff (without sacrificing crunch of course) that I can really get my roll-play on with. Druids are great, I love the stoic guardian of the earth. Archivists have lots of flavor, like a spellcasting Indiana Jones. Swordsages are lots of fun. And I'd add Psions to the list as well.

Shining Wrath
2013-03-22, 01:54 PM
...I am very tempted to try to find a Tome-of-Battle only game now. I imagine it could actually be a hoot.

It would be interesting, if only because some of the stuff like Martial Lore and the intimidating-gaze sort of stuff could come into play.

Savith9
2013-03-22, 03:01 PM
I've been known to dabble in some odd classes compared to the rest of my group.

Chameleon - real fun with a lot of dips

Ranger - always loved the idea of archery

Binder - flavorful and fun to mix with chameleon

Psion - the idea of being a psychic is always fun

Dread Necromancer - always wanted to play one but every DM has turned my build for one down simply due to how much stuff you can find that fits so cohesively for them, but the idea of being focused on debuffing and conjuration sounds fun.

Wizard (illusion specialist variant) - played one of these and pumped my dc's up with tons of feats and just messed with everyone (including the party), ran cons to get cash in towns and just had alot of fun in general.

Swordsage - love the idea of them and IMO monk done right.

Druid - never played one but would like to build one focused on shape shifting / wild shape.

Prince_Ornstein
2013-03-22, 06:18 PM
I love the dread necromancer fluff wise as well as he is actually pretty decent as what he does. i love the whole army of the dead thing that's great.
brings me back to my old days of playing D2:LOD, walking around with a millions skeletons as a necromancer was always great. who does not love a shambling army of rotting flesh and bone lol.