PDA

View Full Version : DDOnline Canon?

Vaz
2013-03-21, 05:53 AM
Just checked around, and I've seen that apparently the Underdark is now accessible in Eberron (according to DDOnline, anyhow). How much of this is considered "canon" within the background, and is there a precedent set anywhere within the game? The Drow Pantheon I enjoyed, but I also liked Vulkhoor from Eberron, so being able to play a game with two would interest me, but I have a couple of "fluff purists" who wouldn't abide me Handwaving it unless we did a Planescape game, and I don't really like Dimension Hopping games. I even ban teleport, man.

Psyren
2013-03-21, 06:19 AM
Eberron does have an Underdark of sorts: Khyber, the Dragon Below, which serves much of the same narrative function (dark, nasty place full of evil aberrations.) One of the larger differences between Khyber and the Underdark, at least by my understanding, is the presence of Drow - these tend to be found more in the jungles of Xen'drik than chilling in vast caverns like they are in Faerun. But mindflayers, otyughs and the like are still very much down there.

As far as DDO bringing the actual Underdark into Eberron - well, it's understandable they'd want some bleed from their most popular setting as the CRPG D&D crowd has pretty much primarily been exposed to Faerun. So some of the subtleties of Khyber vs. Underdark could be feasibly handwaved to avoid confusion. For myself, I would rather Eberron stayed distinct from WotC's other properties, but then I don't think DDO does all that much to capture the spirit of the setting anyway; DDO, being your standard MMO, focuses far more on combat (and far less on intrigue) than any actual Eberron game I've seen ever would. So I guess there's no real reason for the differences to stop there.