PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #377 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-11-16, 01:37 AM
New comic is up.

Shadic
2006-11-16, 01:40 AM
*Hic*

That's a really nice bird, and that would be a lot of alcohol.

Also, I fail to see how Belkar manages to stay balanced with that feather... And how did the Order of the Stick get back? Walk?

Also, to walk around the fire a little bit.. This is my very first post, guess I happen to be quick today as well. Go Shadic-Newbie!

Dugray
2006-11-16, 01:41 AM
Oh man.. Drunk Wizards.. Looks like another no name character met his demise! Sup Ho!

Platinum_Mongoose
2006-11-16, 01:42 AM
The perils of drunk casting.

Nlannie
2006-11-16, 01:42 AM
yay :D Back to the order.

Love belkar's hat :p

chionophile
2006-11-16, 01:44 AM
hahahaha

Brilliant. Who's not surprised drunk wizards can't teleport straight?

"Never drink and teleport." Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-16, 01:45 AM
Pimp my :belkar:? LMAO!

GenericFighter
2006-11-16, 01:46 AM
I want that hat!

'New art heavy'+ Good jokes/plot advancement= GenericFighter is very happy.:smallwink:

Querzis
2006-11-16, 01:46 AM
Poor random nameless wizard, I'm never gonna forget you. Anyway Sabine look great as a geisha. Another plus of dating with a shapeshifter, I guess Nale never get bored.

Whamme
2006-11-16, 01:47 AM
Wow. Belkar, that hat... wow. Unexpected. Then again, he likes his hats...

_sl0t_
2006-11-16, 01:47 AM
nice to see belkar at medium category again =p

ElfLad
2006-11-16, 01:50 AM
When in doubt, go for the visual.

Last panel just killed me. Is there a cleric in the house?

Blinkbear
2006-11-16, 01:50 AM
And AGAIN Belkar COULD find it out. I am excited to see how it continues.

Martok
2006-11-16, 01:51 AM
LOL! The combined looks of startlement and consternation on the OOTS (when they suddenly teleport into the nest) are great!

And the poor nameless NPC wizard....you'll be missed! :frown:

Maurog
2006-11-16, 01:52 AM
Are these the actual wizard's *legs* Belkar is standing on? It's hard to tell...

EvilRoeSlade
2006-11-16, 01:54 AM
Haley's only appearance in this comic was in the flashback.

Could Nale have killed her in the three days that followed?

Kalatash
2006-11-16, 01:56 AM
I think saying that Haley was killed is a LITTLE too far for theories.

I, too, love the hat. And I wonder what kind of bird that was.

Mystitat
2006-11-16, 01:57 AM

I don't think he'd say anything if he did ... :smallconfused:

Argus
2006-11-16, 02:00 AM
Are these the actual wizard's *legs* Belkar is standing on? It's hard to tell...

I wouldn't think so. Those look exactly like the stilts he was wearing in Azure City before.

As to EvilRoeShade's question, neither Haley nor "not-nale" is likely to be given solo guard duty, and everyone other than Elan seems to know of a reason against shared guard duty for those two.

Tim
2006-11-16, 02:01 AM
I was wondering if that wizard was drunk... but he was just too much in the background to make sure :P

Oh well. Now we know.

Renegade Paladin
2006-11-16, 02:03 AM
You know, looking at Azure City, I can't help but be struck by the defenses. Xykon's hobgoblins aren't going to have an easy time of it by any stretch.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-16, 02:03 AM
Ah...where did Belkar get the Pimp Hat? I mean, the feather's from the bird. But did they teleport somewhere else before?

Eldhrin
2006-11-16, 02:05 AM
Oh come on, that was just too convenient to teleport them into that giant bird's nest - the wizard was clearly an inept agent of Lord Xykon...

Nah :-P

Love the feathered hat.

You know, looking at Azure City, I can't help but be struck by the defenses. Xykon's hobgoblins aren't going to have an easy time of it by any stretch.

I suspect that's why Xykon went to all that trouble with Miko to get his bonuses on Scrying - he doesn't want to have to fight his way in through the front door. There is after all a difference between sacrificing minions to get something useful and wasting them.

Myoro
2006-11-16, 02:07 AM
Wow. Yes. This is the hardest I've laughed in weeks, possibly months. Thank you.

armatil
2006-11-16, 02:10 AM
Haha, Belkar gots himself a *new* swanky new hat! 'Sup, ho.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-11-16, 02:11 AM
I just gotta ask, what kinda penalty would a paladin get for wearing a pimp hat?!?

I mean, men (or halflings) far less noble than Belkar have fallen for lesser things... or at least in the groups I've played with they have.

dragon95046
2006-11-16, 02:13 AM
Love the 'uge feather in Belkar's hat.

I wonder if Haley thought to grab any of those Roc eggs, I hear they are supposed to be worth quite a bit.

Hallavast
Hmm... I get the feeling that Belkar will find out about Nale first, but won't say anything.

DGM
Wow. All that alcohol must have hit the bird's system like a Roc.

Shadic

With Belkar's spotchecks, I'm not even sure if he can SEE Nale/Elan.

DGM: That's a TERRIBLE pun.. Heh.

KeiranHalcyon
2006-11-16, 02:14 AM
:belkar: 'Sup, ho.

That line is so Belkar.

And the poor nameless NPC wizard....you'll be missed! :frown:

Umm... not so much.

I'd say giant eagle. Too small for a roc.

EDIT: Well, maybe. Too big for a giant eagle, and it appears that rocs have been revised since I last looked them up (in 2nd ed).

Solmi
2006-11-16, 02:15 AM
Ok I just had to register to ask:

Why is the guard winking at Sabine? Sure maybe it's because she's cute, but he does say "Welcome back". I'm not sure if this would be considered a spoiler, but maybe the guard is on Nale's payroll ...

Could be interesting if Nale is able to follow up on Roy's last speech before they teleported. Maybe Nale could use the guard to help Xykon enter the city.

Dun dun dun!

dragon95046
2006-11-16, 02:16 AM
Wow. All that alcohol must have hit the bird's system like a Roc.

I am only annoyed because I didn't think of it first.

taraxia
2006-11-16, 02:17 AM
Ok I just had to register to ask:

Why is the guard winking at Sabine? Sure maybe it's because she's cute, but he does say "Welcome back". I'm not sure if this would be considered a spoiler, but maybe the guard is on Nale's payroll ...

I think it's just that Sabine has disguised herself as a specific one of the town geisha whom this guard happens to know.

fractal
2006-11-16, 02:28 AM
How lucky for Shojo that now he'll have to deal with the invasion missing one of his upper level wizards. The Order really should have made an effort to bring back the corpse, at least. Having a level 9+ Wizard on the payroll is certainly worth 5,000 gp for Shojo.

ravage
2006-11-16, 02:30 AM
go nale go!

Dugray
How lucky for Shojo that now he'll have to deal with the invasion missing one of his upper level wizards. The Order really should have made an effort to bring back the corpse, at least. Having a level 9+ Wizard on the payroll is certainly worth 5,000 gp for Shojo.

He had it coming.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
Hmm...they're three days behind, Miko has a few days to get to the city, and Xykon predicts he'll be able to get the army to arrive about the same time as she is...
I guess this information doesn't really change what we already knew, though, which is that the OotS is either going to be there when Xykon attacks or (my money's on this) leave just before he does...

That said, I laughed my ass off. There's too much to comment on, so I'll just confine myself to Sabine: was she wearing the schoolgirl costume the whole time she flew? Is it really aerodynamic or something? Also, her geisha morph is awesome...

and maybe the guard winking at her just has "jungle fever"?

Sothicus
2006-11-16, 02:32 AM
Bahahahahahahaahahahahahahah

First comic in a while that made me laugh so loud my girlfriend had to come see what I was laughing about.

'Sup ho... geisha... classic comedy!

Adeptus
2006-11-16, 03:29 AM
Hee-hee :D

SaiJ
2006-11-16, 03:32 AM
The funny part here is that Sabine really is dressed more like a prostitute than a Geisha. I don't know if Rich intended to portary this (major smarty-pants points to him if he did) but in the old Japanese tradition prostitutes signified their profession by tying their obi in the front of their dress, as Sabine has in this comic, instead of in the back where they're supposed to. If you've ever worn a kimono, even as a guy, those belts are a pain to tie properly, so for ease of removing and donning them, the hookers had them tied in the front.

pudgimelon
2006-11-16, 03:32 AM
Belkar is a pimp.

Next we'll be seeing him on "Pimp My Pony."

Sabine is either disguised as a geisha known to the guards, OR she's been to Azure city before (perhaps to scout or spy for Nale) and used that geisha-morph to "bypass" (*cough*) the guards.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-11-16, 03:34 AM
Is there anything that guy won't make a hat of?

Piedmon_Sama
2006-11-16, 03:36 AM
"We love you Belkar!"

"Shut up baby I know it!"

Itdano
2006-11-16, 03:44 AM
'Sup, ho!

Belkar wins. For serious.

I think it's just that Sabine has disguised herself as a specific one of the town geisha whom this guard happens to know.

LIES! They're in cahoots! The guard is cahooting with the Linear Guild!

Castamir
2006-11-16, 03:47 AM
1. It's hard to drag a corpse through 3 days distance.
2. A corpse? What corpse? Note how the roc got the alcohol...

GenericFighter
2006-11-16, 03:54 AM
...maybe the guard winking at her just has "jungle fever"?

You mean 467th-layer-of-the-Abyss fever. That's the best layer of the Abyss- it has free parking.

DGM
2006-11-16, 03:55 AM

Not to mention that this wizard was so stupid as to get tanked enough to knock out a creature roughly two dozen times his own size and body-weight before drivin- er, teleporting. So he might not have been all that useful anyway. Granted Roy's attitude towards NPCs should come back to bite him sooner or later, but that's no excuse.

DGM
2006-11-16, 03:58 AM
With Belkar's spotchecks, I'm not even sure if he can SEE Nale/Elan.

DGM: That's a TERRIBLE pun.. Heh.

It was rather pun-ishing, wasn't it? :smallamused:

Okay, I'll stop now.

Dinosxanthi
2006-11-16, 04:13 AM
:belkar: is da man!
I can't wait for the inevitable :haley::nale: "guard duty"
Know what I mean?
(I'm sure you do...)

On a side note,
Let that be a lesson for all you irresponsible teleporters/drivers!
Drink responsibly

Albion
2006-11-16, 04:22 AM
Lucky guy to be eaten up before ever reaching that hangover of his.

fractal
2006-11-16, 04:29 AM
Good point. I suppose Resurrection might still be an option.

Blink Dawg
2006-11-16, 04:43 AM
Roc on! :smallbiggrin:

Delgarde
2006-11-16, 04:46 AM

It's Belkar, so you never know. I doubt it though - Rich generally makes Belkar's humour fairly obvious...

Blink Dawg
2006-11-16, 04:49 AM
The funny part here is that Sabine really is dressed more like a prostitute than a Geisha. I don't know if Rich intended to portary this (major smarty-pants points to him if he did) but in the old Japanese tradition prostitutes signified their profession by tying their obi in the front of their dress, as Sabine has in this comic, instead of in the back where they're supposed to. If you've ever worn a kimono, even as a guy, those belts are a pain to tie properly, so for ease of removing and donning them, the hookers had them tied in the front.

Knowing is half the battle! :smalltongue:

Delgarde
2006-11-16, 04:57 AM
I suspect that's why Xykon went to all that trouble with Miko to get his bonuses on Scrying - he doesn't want to have to fight his way in through the front door. There is after all a difference between sacrificing minions to get something useful and wasting them.

On the other hand, efficient use of minions hasn't been a priority for Xykon and Redcloak so far. I'm sure that they could easily have come up with ways of getting into Xykon's abandoned tower that didn't involve sacrificing hobgoblins. Hell, they even proposed using dead hobgoblins to build a causeway across the ocean! And back in Dorukan's Dungeon, Xykon was killing goblins with the Gate to relieve the boredom of waiting for the Order to arrive.

eilandesq
2006-11-16, 04:58 AM

There's bound to be at least one 17th+ level cleric in Azure City who can bring Alky the Wizard back with true resurrection, or the OOTS could have grabbed a body part from the giant bird's digestive system and used that to satisfy the requirement for resurrection. Raise Dead was always going to be out of the question for a death like that.

WarriorTribble
2006-11-16, 05:04 AM
Heh, I loved this strip. But one question, when/why did Sabine shapeshift back into her schoolgirl outfit?

Fat Daddy
2006-11-16, 05:18 AM
Belkar Rocs!
I really enjoyed this strip. I just wanna find out if Belkar is going to get an invite to the Players' Ball. :smallwink:

Freelance Henchman
2006-11-16, 06:44 AM
LOL, Belkar is definitely compensating for something with that humongous feather.

battleburn
2006-11-16, 06:48 AM
I didn't see the roc coming. But I did think they wouldn't arrive in Azure city by teleport.
On a happier note, this probably means they won't be out of town before Miko returns.

Estelindis
2006-11-16, 06:59 AM
I enjoyed the Miko plotline, but I'm glad we're back to the OotS.

Poor nameless wizard! Looks like he fell to the same problem as nameless security officers in starfleet vessels. :smallwink:

Also, Sabine as a geisha looks hilarious, but not nearly as much as Belkar as pimp. Wonder if he'll find out who she is?

Kadasbrass
2006-11-16, 07:03 AM
Rocs can talk!? But their just nonmagical birds!

Atheist_Cleric
2006-11-16, 07:06 AM
Hahahaha, I love the looks on the faces of all the OOTS who see the bird when they warp in..especially Belkar, everyone else is shocked but he just looks normal. Who else gets the feeling that Miko is going to show up in Shojo's room just as the OOTS are having their meeting with him?

smellie_hippie
2006-11-16, 07:11 AM
Meh. It's a good comic, and transitions have a tendency to be a little awkward IMHO. However, :belkar: 'sup ho... BWAHAHAHAHA! Two words there: Comic Genius. So to summarize, slow start, big finish. Yay.

Noneoyabizzness
2006-11-16, 07:14 AM
the true measure of a pimp is his feather...

Calsan
2006-11-16, 07:30 AM
Another Gem, lol.

Pimps and ho, go!

Dinosxanthi
2006-11-16, 07:40 AM
I am only annoyed because I didn't think of it first.

I will second that one.

Enough with the puns!

BlueWizard
2006-11-16, 07:45 AM
I love the side adventures... I only hope Ric can expand on how they got away from the roc exactly in the future release book 3. Sound good Rich? :smallbiggrin:

Metool2
2006-11-16, 07:48 AM
when/why did Sabine shapeshift back into her schoolgirl outfit?

During her flight? I mean, even demon/devil's can have a slight sense of fashion... Maybe she LIKES the way she looks in a schoolgirl outfit. ^_^ She does fairly well as a geisha as well, she's just an attention-seeker.

Ronald_saveloy
2006-11-16, 07:55 AM
Alas, poor nameless wizard! We hardly knew thee! :Frown:

And :belkar: needs as pimped carriage now!

battleburn
2006-11-16, 08:00 AM
W00T, avatars are back!

Sabine mentioned knowing Azure city, she may have been seducing men in that disguise. Before Nale of course...

Sereno
2006-11-16, 08:34 AM

That looks more like a Giant Eagle, to me ... a Roc can pick up an elephant with ease and the OotS are as big as it's feet.

Giant Eagles have an Int of 10, so speech is possible!

I wonder, did they kill the drunk eagle after it said it loved them and fell asleep, or did Belkar just pick one feather and run for it???

Killing it in its sleep is just so :belkar: ... but would :roy: allow it?

Oh, yeah ... a "hurray!" for the return of the avatars!

Elkan
2006-11-16, 08:41 AM
I can't believe how many good jokes were used in the same comic, often working together, and never interfering with the flow of the story. :)

Kanashimi
2006-11-16, 08:46 AM
wow. The sheer volume ration between a human and a roc is amazing, for the human to be pickled enough to get a roc drunk. Poor nameless Wizard. I like the YikYik hat better, personally, but Belkar-Pimp is also excellent. He'ss really loving that added height.

MetalKelt
2006-11-16, 08:50 AM
That last frame with Belkar was just great. Though if I were naming the comics, this one would be "Roc and a Hard Place".

Hyrael
2006-11-16, 09:11 AM
wow. what a great way to start the day. Old-school OotS. A little plot development, a joke about a D&D spell mishap, and a Joke about how violent belkar is.

Goofy
2006-11-16, 09:19 AM

I'm going to bet that this is sarcastic backlash to the recent rules-lawyering "debates" that have been going on.

If it is, :smallbiggrin:. If not, :smallconfused:.

Pantler
2006-11-16, 09:27 AM
Guess teleporting when you're drunk works pretty much like driving... Still, they should be happy they hadn't materialized inside the mountain.
One thing that bothers me: why did the guard say "Welcome back"? It doesn't seem probable that the guard knows her from the time when she visited her buddies in jail (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html), and I guess she hasn't been there later (or at least she didn't mention it).
EDIT: Sorry, missed the discussion about it on the previous pages :smallredface:

TaxiMan
2006-11-16, 09:33 AM
Giant eagles may not be able to handle alcohol. Nice thing to remember if you ever need to capture one...

Sabine apparently can disguise her eyes too. So when they're red, she wants them that way?

DougWykstra
2006-11-16, 09:33 AM
Who else gets the feeling that Miko is going to show up in Shojo's room just as the OOTS are having their meeting with him?

She'd better show up at the exact same time. If the OOTS teleports to the western continent right as Xykon's army is attacking Azure city, I think I'm going to rip my arm off in frustration.

Holy_Knight
2006-11-16, 09:41 AM
Sabine mentioned knowing Azure city, she may have been seducing men in that disguise. Before Nale of course...
...because if there's any woman you can count on to be faithful, it's a shapeshifting demon from the bowels of hell.

Faramir
2006-11-16, 09:44 AM
Hilarious final panel.

Do you think this will stop Roy from saying things like "It should take like an hour, tops" ? ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0338.html )

Big question is what Nale has found out in the last 3 days. He obviously hasn't killed anyone so has he decided that saving the world (and thus his own life) takes priority over his vengeance?

TinSoldier
2006-11-16, 09:53 AM
Wow. All that alcohol must have hit the bird's system like a Roc.Haha! Good one.

Belkar Rocs!And another! I love puns. Of course, there are only so many variations on a theme.

I love the side adventures... I only hope Ric can expand on how they got away from the roc exactly in the future release book 3. Sound good Rich? :smallbiggrin:Why? This would be a pretty easy encounter for them really. Not like fighting Miko or anything.

Good strip, I like Sabine as Geisha. Drunken teleporting, I so called it before. Belkar's getup was cool but his line was a bit much.

Movoza
2006-11-16, 09:53 AM
bye bye wizard, you were a funny characteR... :smallfrown:
well, nice comic overalL. and i've got a hat just like that :smalleek:.

Goofy
2006-11-16, 10:21 AM
Sabine apparently can disguise her eyes too. So when they're red, she wants them that way?

1. Why wouldn't she be able to disguise her eyes?
2. I think the eyes glowing red were mostly just Rich's way of telling us that it's Sabine.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-16, 10:22 AM
Alas, poor Nameless Wizard. I suppose the moral of the story is never to trust a drunken spellcaster.

Giant eagles may not be able to handle alcohol. Nice thing to remember if you ever need to capture one...

I'm willing to bet that they are only red when the Giant wants us to know that it is Sabine (and here, we could see her transform, so it wasn't neccesary). If they were really red when she shapechanged, that wouldn't be a terribly good disguise, after all.

EDIT: Shoot, Ninja'd! Damn you Goofy! <shakefist> ;)

Solara
2006-11-16, 10:24 AM
I wish I had more time to post, this one was just too funny! Sure, maybe it's a little too convenient that they're all going to be there at the same time, but that last panel made it all worthwhile. :biggrin:

Also, about the guard, I don't detect any sinister motives there, I think he's just saying 'Welcome back.' because she looks like someone who lives in the city and is obviously coming back from somewhere, and the wink was because she's dressed like a...well, you know. Ask Belkar.

Frozen_Northman
2006-11-16, 10:30 AM
Love pimp daddy Belkar.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-16, 10:31 AM
I wish I had more time to post, this one was just too funny! Sure, maybe it's a little too convenient that they're all going to be there at the same time, but that last panel made it all worthwhile. :biggrin:

It is the will of the Force... er, the Plot!!

Also, about the guard, I don't detect any sinister motives there, I think he's just saying 'Welcome back.' because she looks like someone who lives in the city and is obviously coming back from somewhere, and the wink was because she's dressed like a...well, you know. Ask Belkar.

I saw it as he merely assumes that she was off outside the city walls "on duty" in some camp or other (or something like that) and was being all friendly like. Never hurts, should he meet her later, after all.

Swashbuckler
2006-11-16, 10:41 AM
Just when I thought I'd seen everything ...

Pimp-daddy Belkar. :smallcool:

*belly laugh*

mikeejimbo
2006-11-16, 10:51 AM
Bahaha

Green monkey... barks at midnight

hahaha

Cifer
2006-11-16, 10:57 AM
As others said: The eyes are red when Rich wants them to.

...because if there's any woman you can count on to be faithful, it's a shapeshifting demon from the bowels of hell.
...or maybe the bowels of the Abyss. Or Gehenna. Or Carceri. Or somewhere else...

Varian7
2006-11-16, 11:04 AM
"Welcome to Azure City, hic." Priceless!

Mauril Everleaf
2006-11-16, 11:09 AM
Loved todays strip. So glad that we finally get back to our heroes. as much as i like :mitd: you gotta get back to the protagonists. i hope :belkar: gets that geas removed so he can go all stabby again.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-11-16, 11:09 AM
Heh, that NPC probably should've taken the feat

"Drunk spellcasting"

He dosen't seem to be able to hold his booze that one.

And Belkar was brilliant.

Emmerson Grant
2006-11-16, 11:12 AM
Good one.
There should be a "Pimp Belkar" plushie. My kids would love it.

ampcptlogic
2006-11-16, 11:15 AM
Considering Belkar's history with mounts, it might be more like "Pimp My Dachshund"

Lord Zentei
2006-11-16, 11:24 AM
Heh, that NPC probably should've taken the feat

"Drunk spellcasting"

He dosen't seem to be able to hold his booze that one.

That would be a feat worth including as a house rule. :smallbiggrin:

Though I disagree with his not being able to hold his drink: he had enough alcohol in him to knock that bird out (which is clearly many times his mass) and was still able to not only walk and talk but cast his spell - kind of, anyway.

Doug Lampert
2006-11-16, 11:26 AM
Rocs can talk!? But their just nonmagical birds!Giant Eagles can, and can reach Huge Size. The bird is no bigger than Huge which goes up to 32' tall.

It's an Eagle.

fithi
2006-11-16, 11:32 AM
I want that hat!

I also want to see how my rogue/sorc would do in my D&D campaign trying to do a drunken teleport. *laugh* Probably about as well as nameless NPC wizard. :smallamused:

Good to see that we're back to the Order now.

Grey Knight
2006-11-16, 11:51 AM
Also, I fail to see how Belkar manages to stay balanced with that feather...

Feathers aren't noted for being especially heavy :smalltongue:

Goofy
2006-11-16, 11:55 AM
Feathers aren't noted for being especially heavy :smalltongue:

Slight breezes, however, may pose a problem.

spamalope
2006-11-16, 12:09 PM
What difference would it make if it were a roc or eagle?

I mean: Giant bird threatens in humorous situation to destroy heroes.
joke: Tiny guy drunk enough that his body got huge [creature of any type] drunk.

Why bother roc vs eagle?

It's not the point.

The point IS, Belkar got a feather out of it.

Chesny
2006-11-16, 12:21 PM
Belkar is Big Pimping. Or is that small-sized pimping?

spamalope
2006-11-16, 12:26 PM
He's got big legs, a big feather, and a really big ego. I think Big Pimpin's about right!

qvcatullus
2006-11-16, 12:28 PM
Hmmmm...
I saw the comic and was amused to see that Nale still has his beard-removal patch on his chin after this many days (yes, of course, a convention so that we won't get confused which is which, but it can still be funny). However, I then noticed that, as far as my eyes can tell, it's missing from one of the panels. As I am usually not the one to catch the little details like that, I figured I would come proudly proclaim it here.
Unless someone already mentioned it.

Hototo
2006-11-16, 12:31 PM
Lol, what a perfect delay story, which should put them there about a day before/possibly the day of Miko's arrival. Good times.

consul
2006-11-16, 12:32 PM

It was dinner.

Zalathar
2006-11-16, 12:46 PM
That is just all kinds of awesome! Pimp Belkar, sweet!

consul
2006-11-16, 12:58 PM
1. Why wouldn't she be able to disguise her eyes?
2. I think the eyes glowing red were mostly just Rich's way of telling us that it's Sabine.

Her eyes glow when the music is piped in :smallwink:.

CGM3
2006-11-16, 01:20 PM
Ah, but was it a "spell mishap" which resulted in the change of destination? Remember the nameless wizard's reaction to his being largely ignored as a convenient plot device back in strip #340; alcohol being a depressant, it's entirely possible that after a few (dozen?) tankard's of Cliffport potables, he was so despondent (and realizing he was in for one Abyssal hangover the next day) that he might have decided to go ahead and end it all by teleporting into a giant predator's lair, taking his tormentors with him! His "Welcome to Azure City" is then an attempt at mocking irony that didn't come off owing to his advanced pixilation. :smalleek:

The moral of this would seem to be, look after the morale of your NPC helpers or it'll come back to bite you. :smallbiggrin:

Or maybe he was just so drunk that he mispronounced a pervulsion a la Cugel the Clever. :smalltongue:

DGM
2006-11-16, 02:01 PM
The moral of this would seem to be, look after the morale of your NPC helpers or it'll come back to bite you. :smallbiggrin:

...So you're saying that Roy needs to find a more metaphorical way of giving minor NPCs the bird? :smallconfused:

Alfryd
2006-11-16, 02:43 PM
New comic is up.
Intrigueing. One wonders if this is genuinely meant to involve a fracas betwene Miko, the OotS, and Xykon's horde, or simply a tension-inducing plot device.

Also, hilarity 7.5. This comes close to fractionally reducing my animosity toward Belkar.
But not quite.

On a happier note, this probably means they won't be out of town before Miko returns.
In that case, one wonders why Rich made a specific announcement about the Miko interlude, and declared it done recently.

Xykon's hobgoblins aren't going to have an easy time of it by any stretch.
A few doses of Disintegrate ought to open a breach in the walls, off the top of my head. There might be other mass-battle options.

...those belts are a pain to tie properly, so for ease of removing and donning them, the hookers had them tied in the front.
How logical.

Knowing is half the battle!
We fight hookers now?

Trobby
2006-11-16, 02:45 PM
Y'know, it doesn't have to be a Roc or a Giant Eagle..

It could be "Rich's Giant Falcon of Low Fort Saves".

Also, the OOTS apparantly had another encounter on the way back from the RGFoLFS's nest so that Belkar could get the Lepord fur for his hat.

:3 It's the only thing that makes sense.

Erloas
2006-11-16, 02:46 PM
One thing to take into account is that birds are rather light. Even large birds are much lighter then other animals of similar size. There is also some amount of tolerance to alcohol. And chances are the wizard has a very high tolerance to alcohol while the bird (eagle/roc/whatever) has probably never had alcohol before and would get drunk off of proportiantly much less alchol.

Corp
2006-11-16, 02:49 PM
In need of humor? Just add Drunken Mage!

Nice nice comic :D

Grey Knight
2006-11-16, 02:56 PM
We fight hookers now?

Help! Whore attack!

Lord Zentei
2006-11-16, 03:06 PM
In that case, one wonders why Rich made a specific announcement about the Miko interlude, and declared it done recently.

Because it is done. The focus of the action has shifted to the protagonists. That doesn't mean that there won't be an encounter between them and Miko, which might be particularly nasty since she has come to the conclusion that they are Xykon's minions and used deceit during the trial.

Khantalas
2006-11-16, 03:08 PM
Why is anyone surprised that the Belkster turned out to be a pimp?

He did state he would "stick to his ales and whores" once before. Seems he's a halfling of his word. :smalltongue:

Winged One
2006-11-16, 03:09 PM
Undeniable proof that Belkar is Chaotic Evil! :biggrin:

Celisasu
2006-11-16, 03:15 PM
What is it with Roy and NPCs? He treats the nameless wizard like dirt and back when he found out that Shojo only had NPC class levels he was embarrassed about being tricked. One day Roy is going to be killed by a no-name NPC. Just watch. Some level 1 commoner is going to go psychotic on him when he's already down to 2 HP and roll a natural 20 with a hoe.

AyuVince
2006-11-16, 03:20 PM
Tee hee. I can envision Belkar as a rapper. What would he rap about?
"I should lead the OotS, because I'm the better fighter, and I paid a million bucks for my equipment, and my video has Pamela Anderson in it."

:belkar: my homie.

Krytha
2006-11-16, 03:25 PM
Belkar is a pimp.
Next we'll be seeing him on "Pimp My Pony."

Belkar? No way! He's gonna host "Pimp my riding-weiner-dog"!

I'm not sure if they killed the bird or not. He couldve just taken a feather for his hat.

Tiako
2006-11-16, 03:40 PM
My friend and I made up a pretty good "code dialog":

"Does the walrus have two tusks?"

"Only when it's raining."

rxmd
2006-11-16, 03:55 PM
Tee hee. I can envision Belkar as a rapper. What would he rap about?

Oh yeah! Who da halfling? I'm da halfling! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html)

DanMan
2006-11-16, 04:32 PM
sadness at the death of the nameless npc wizard :frown:

happiness for Belkar's new hat :belkar:

Mr_Shrubber
2006-11-16, 04:53 PM
Love the facial expressions in the panel where they find themselves in the nest. Especially :belkar:'s - nonplussed as ever. :smallwink:

Also, is it just me or is :belkar:'s pimp outfit a direct visual reference to Huggy Bear? Or am I just getting old?

Gryndel
2006-11-16, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorTribble http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1560129#post1560129)
when/why did Sabine shapeshift back into her schoolgirl outfit?

During her flight? I mean, even demon/devil's can have a slight sense of fashion... Maybe she LIKES the way she looks in a schoolgirl outfit. ^_^ She does fairly well as a geisha as well, she's just an attention-seeker.

Actually, back a bit:
( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html )

chionophile
2006-11-16, 05:06 PM
Love the facial expressions in the panel where they find themselves in the nest. Especially :belkar:'s - nonplussed as ever. :smallwink:

I liked how V just looks puzzled. Maybe more than I liked Belkar's expression.

Felinoid
2006-11-16, 05:15 PM
Is there anything that guy won't make a hat of?
Nope. Next question, please.

Heh, I loved this strip. But one question, when/why did Sabine shapeshift back into her schoolgirl outfit?
When: Between strips.
Why: Because it's HOT! :cool:

We fight hookers now?

Help! Whore attack!
ROTFLMAO. That was even better than the comic, and that's saying something. Though on an odd note, everyone seems to be adopting Roy's type of sarcasm. First Miko, then Sabine (I think Nale probably had it from the beginning). My favorite parts were...well, pretty much everything Nale says in panel 8. "Familiar face" was just the kind of thing I would say, and the "sort of" lets you know the comedy's about to smack you in the face.

And on the pun front, I submit this:
Can you smell what the Roc is cooking?
(Yes you can; at the very least the wizard's breath.)
*shoots self for horrible pun*

DGM
2006-11-16, 05:51 PM
And on the pun front, I submit this:
Can you smell what the Roc is cooking?
(Yes you can; at the very least the wizard's breath.)
*shoots self for horrible pun*

Argh. What door have I opened? :smallamused:

5tephen
2006-11-16, 06:05 PM
Belkar's going to have to start travelling with some hat boxes.

This comic is sheer GOLD.

Fingolfin
2006-11-16, 06:11 PM
I have to admit that I wholeheartedly laughed at last two scenes, great comic! :)

the_tick_rules
2006-11-16, 07:31 PM
so i presume belkar killed the bird after it passed out from eating the wizard? as to why nobody seemed to care, how many of us care about NPC's after they finish their purpose?

MetalKelt
2006-11-16, 07:36 PM
Help! Whore attack!

"Oh, the Tomb of Horrors. Thats up the road."

Amaroq
2006-11-16, 07:52 PM
"Oh, the Tomb of Horrors. Thats up the road."
Roc-ous laughter...

pun of the day!

Solara
2006-11-16, 08:22 PM
What is it with Roy and NPCs? He treats the nameless wizard like dirt and back when he found out that Shojo only had NPC class levels he was embarrassed about being tricked.

Oh come on, give the guy a break already. The whole NPC/PC thing breaks the fourth wall so much anyway, I don't know if you should really take it so seriously.

I don't really see Roy (or the rest of the party who treated the wizard the same way...) as being guilty of some kind of evil anti-NPC bigotry. Remember that OotS is a D&D parody and my take on all those incidents were that they were more a joke about the readers than the characters themselves.

Tussy the Druid
2006-11-16, 09:00 PM
I wonder if nameless wizard will make a return. I hope he comes back as some demon god thingy to smite the Oots characters for being taking a few ranks in Meany Cranky Pants prestige class.

Was Sabine dressed like a Geisha?

charik
2006-11-16, 09:11 PM
Me like it. And yes, as someone pointed out, there is one panel where Elan's (not elan; not-elan!) chin is clean shaven.

And I think we can safely say that Belkar has been putting lots of ranks into Balance.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-16, 09:24 PM
Was Sabine dressed like a Geisha?

Harlot, since her belt was tied in a bow to the front, not the back. Someone clarified the distinction earlier.

BlueWizard
2006-11-16, 11:05 PM
Keep the feather, Belkar. Maybe it'll get you tangled in Xykons sleeve, and you'll fall in a pit... oh wait was that the good blue wizard speaking...

Go Roy! :roy:

LurkerBeneath
2006-11-16, 11:08 PM
Argh. What door have I opened? :smallamused:

A dimension door, of course...into a http://gianteagle.com/'s nest.
-LB

JT
2006-11-17, 12:04 AM
"Never drink and teleport." Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

"Drink tea and port. Don't drink and t-port."

Screech
2006-11-17, 12:17 AM
Haha thats so dam funny Belkar is the greatest delivier of one liners ever :)

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-11-17, 12:33 AM
All Belkar needs is a diamond-tipped cane, and he could be Dolomite...maybe he'll find one in some dragon's treasure trove. Okay, I can see where the oversized feather came from, but who/what did he kill to get a snazzy white fedora with a leopard-skin band? Also, when did he replace his broken stilt?

ElfLad
2006-11-17, 12:44 AM
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all is one
and one is all
To be a Roc
and not to roll!

Grim Greyscale
2006-11-17, 12:56 AM
...So you're saying that Roy needs to find a more metaphorical way of giving minor NPCs the bird? :smallconfused:

Was that an intentional pun? If not, it's hilarious either way.

Also, Great comic, Rich. Pimp Belkar was especially funny :D

Vargtass
2006-11-17, 03:57 AM

Obviously, Blackwing translated her speech via the empathic link...

Alfryd
2006-11-17, 04:06 AM
Because it is done. The focus of the action has shifted to the protagonists.
I dunno. In that case, the interlude should have been done at 375, since the action then shifted to Xykon and Redcloak. It just doesn't gel very well.

Some level 1 commoner is going to go psychotic on him when he's already down to 2 HP and roll a natural 20 with a hoe.
The irony shall be rich and fragrant.

Silencer
2006-11-17, 05:01 AM
Obviously, Blackwing translated her speech via the empathic link...

Yeah, from Eagle to Raven. He refuses to speak common, after all.

Ookay... So, the guard says "welcome back" to Sabine... And she's dressed up all oriental... Like she was from the city... And yet... Her outfit is red and no-one is suspicious, even though the only colour they have there for clothing is blue?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html

Fat Daddy
2006-11-17, 05:20 AM
Belkar? No way! He's gonna host "Pimp my riding-weiner-dog"!

I'm not sure if they killed the bird or not. He couldve just taken a feather for his hat.
Couple of points...
1) The bird's nest was outside the city so Belkar's Geas against violence wasn't in effect.
2) It's Belkar
Conclusion Big Bird meets Stabbity Death. :belkar:

Also, is it just me or is :belkar:'s pimp outfit a direct visual reference to Huggy Bear? Or am I just getting old?
Looked like Huggy Bear to me too...you're still getting old though :biggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2006-11-17, 06:06 AM
Couple of points...
1) The bird's nest was outside the city so Belkar's Geas against violence wasn't in effect.
2) It's Belkar
Conclusion Big Bird meets Stabbity Death. :belkar:
Or is it Big Bird metes Stabbity Death! :smallcool:

DGM
2006-11-17, 07:31 AM
Was that an intentional pun? If not, it's hilarious either way.

Yes, it was. And thank you.

Blood
2006-11-17, 07:33 AM
Not a horrible comic, not terribly humorous either. The plot moved forward a bit. Hopefully the next one comes out later tonight...

Dinosxanthi
2006-11-17, 08:25 AM
Roc on Belkie-boy. you da halfling.
(pun-pun intended :smalltongue: )

Jbone
2006-11-17, 09:39 AM
V would be facing the opposite direction...

Blink Dawg
2006-11-17, 10:32 AM
We fight hookers now?

*insert innuendo-tastic wrasslin' joke here* :smalltongue:

KeiranHalcyon
2006-11-17, 11:21 AM
Ookay... So, the guard says "welcome back" to Sabine... And she's dressed up all oriental... Like she was from the city... And yet... Her outfit is red and no-one is suspicious, even though the only colour they have there for clothing is blue?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html

He's probably assuming that she's returning from a high-paying client in Crimson City down the coast.

Alternately, it's a great way to draw attention to the hos. (Kimonos - color coded for YOUR convenience!)

mirado_lassik
2006-11-17, 01:43 PM
I absolutely died laughing in the last panel. Awesome job!

Kanashimi
2006-11-17, 01:48 PM
anyone else notice Nale's missing the mark from his goatee in the first panel where he is talking to Sabine?

Runolfr
2006-11-17, 04:14 PM
anyone else notice Nale's missing the mark from his goatee in the first panel where he is talking to Sabine?

Many others, if previous posts are any indication.

Bluesilver
2006-11-17, 04:49 PM
Go Feathered Hat!!!!!!!!!!!

Niburu
2006-11-17, 06:06 PM
I personally think that Nale is going to have a little slip of the tounge at Belkar's comment.

Morchaint
2006-11-17, 06:35 PM
good comic, but not THAT funny.

Tobimaro
2006-11-17, 08:21 PM
I liked this strip, especially with the mac-daddy :belkar: and the large bird feather. As they say, large feather, large :cool:.

Kish
2006-11-17, 08:22 PM
Large feather, large sunglasses? Yes, I've heard the saying.

The Glitter Ninja
2006-11-17, 08:27 PM
You know what long feet and hands on a man means, right? Big shoes and big gloves. No, really, it's a fact.

Still wondering where the B-man got the hat.

David94
2006-11-17, 10:30 PM
EVERYONE sucks at spot checks. Imagine what they get to spot checks... minus 10, 15, even 20? Yeesh!

And, actually, about your sig, dragon95046, after Haley said "-bottlecaps?" then she yelled at Vaarsuvius, and then she said "Why not?" after being told that getting the rest of the gold wasn't a good idea by Roy. Then the building blew up, and then Haley was frozen for 19 panels, and THEN she started yelling gibberish. (which I actually translated, If you want to know what she said in any of the gibberish panels, just ask me) Also, I'm sorry for the off-topic post. (except for the beginning part)

divine
2006-11-17, 11:04 PM
:belkar: sup ho's

Doug Lampert
2006-11-20, 05:36 PM
Yeah, from Eagle to Raven. He refuses to speak common, after all.

From the SRD:
Giant eagles speak Common and Auran.

So he translated from Common to Raven, which didn't help the OotS, but fortunately they understood the Eagle in the first place.