PDA

View Full Version : equipment for ghostly sorcerer?

Dimers
2013-03-21, 08:44 AM
So. I'm a constantly incorporeal ghost-like sorcerer. I'm "deathless", which is like undead except holy, so there's a lot of stuff I don't need, like food and sleeping arrangements. I can't use items that have to do with other people because I can't touch anybody.

What should I get?

Regular wealth for a level 12 character, can't spend more than 25% on one item. I've already picked up the obvious Cloak of Charisma and a couple runestaffs to expand my repetoire. I have some buffing, some BC, a little blasting, a little utility. I can heal my own hit points, but since nobody can touch me to cast spells, I don't have a good way to cure any debuffs that get past my immunities.

I'd appreciate references to anything that's not in the PHB or DMG.

Renen
2013-03-21, 11:22 AM
Wheres the deathless template located? i wanna look it up

Pilo
2013-03-21, 11:30 AM
You can look in GhostWalk (Not for Deathless which is in Eberon Campaign setting).

Soranar
2013-03-21, 11:46 AM
I'm assuming you have the ghostly grasp feat (found in Libris mortis) otherwise ''picking'' anything up will prove problematic unless it's ghost touch, which means you'd need to apply that enchantment to everything you intend to wear.

Are you a ghost progression LA 1 ghost? (found here : http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) you only take the first level

If you are then you get :

-perfect flight, undeath, etherealness

What you already have:

Flight (check), immunity to mind affecting (check), stunning (check ), fear (see mind affecting), miss chance (you're ethereal), immune to death effect (undead), freedom of movement (again, ethereal), dispel magic (you should have the spell)

what you need

immunity to daze effects : not easy to obtain, some things that cause daze are not fort saves which mean they will work on you
better saves: your Fort saves should be terrible, you need something to bolster them because the few things that can target you anyway, like a disintegrate spell, will hurt, A LOt
better turning checks or downright turning immunity : else you're 1 evil Cleric away from destruction

Everything else you own can be offensive so I'd concentrate on boosting your caster level (which are fairly expensive items most of the time)
boosting your iniative (many ways to achieve this)
getting free options to bolster your spellcasting further (metamagic rods for example)

Darrin
2013-03-21, 11:51 AM
What you really need is Ghostwalk. That has special [Ghost] feats that will allow you to interect with corporeal stuff, and rules for creating/buying ectoplasmic equipment that can be treated as if it had the Ghost Touch property.

Do be careful of the whole ethereal/incorporeal thing, though... they are not the same thing. The Deathless type does not automatically include incorporeal. If you picked up incorporeal from something else, then that's not the same thing as being a "ghost". An incorporeal creature already exists on the material plane, and is not on the ethereal plane.

A ghost exists on the ethereal plane, but can't affect anything on the material plane unless it "manifests", in which case it co-exists on the material and ethereal plane for a short time. If you picked up the Ghost template as well as Deathless, then you may have the ability to manifest, or can pick up [Ghost] feats from Ghostwalk to do that.

Non-ghost incorporeals can't interact with anything on the ethereal plane, but ectoplasmic/ghost touch equiment can be treated as solid by any ghost or incorporeal creature however it benefits them best.

Dimers
2013-03-21, 06:50 PM
Wheres the deathless template located? i wanna look it up

I got mine from the Book of Exalted Deeds, at the start of the Monsters chapter.

I'm assuming you have the ghostly grasp feat (found in Libris mortis) otherwise ''picking'' anything up will prove problematic unless it's ghost touch, which means you'd need to apply that enchantment to everything you intend to wear.

That would be darn handy. I'm assuming my starting equipment is "solid" on the Ethereal Plane, where I have a "solid" body when I'm not materializing. But for everything else I want to interact with, I have to use spells.

Are you a ghost progression LA 1 ghost?

I'm actually a Sacred Watcher, a BoED template. It's almost exactly like the standard Monster Manual ghost template, but no choice among special powers, and a couple bonuses relating to a single living creature I watch over.

better turning checks or downright turning immunity : else you're 1 evil Cleric away from destruction

I couldn't find a magic item that boosts turn resistance. Know of anything? And while I'm begging, know of anything that would work even for a "deathless" instead of an "undead"?

What you really need is Ghostwalk. That has special [Ghost] feats that will allow you to interect with corporeal stuff, and rules for creating/buying ectoplasmic equipment that can be treated as if it had the Ghost Touch property.

Nice. I'll see if I can borrow a copy from my friend who seems to have all the books evar.

Do be careful of the whole ethereal/incorporeal thing, though... An incorporeal creature already exists on the material plane, and is not on the ethereal plane.

In my case, I'm always incorporeal on the Material Plane, and I can choose between being treated as "solid" (hah!) and incorporeal on the Ethereal Plane. Not that I expect much to happen on the Ethereal, because that would exclude the rest of the party, but it pays to be prepared. When manifesting, I do co-exist on both Planes at once.

Dimers
2013-03-21, 07:05 PM
Also, is there an item or spell I could use to be able to touch CREATURES while incorporeal on the Material Plane? Ghost Grasp covers me for ITEMS, but it'd be nice to have both options.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-21, 07:16 PM
Also, is there an item or spell I could use to be able to touch CREATURES while incorporeal on the Material Plane? Ghost Grasp covers me for ITEMS, but it'd be nice to have both options.
Grab their cloak.

Alternately, check out Spectral Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spectralHand.htm) and Project Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/projectImage.htm) (the latter is particularly interesting for a ghost, as you still have Line of Effect on the Ethereal Plane, even when there's a physical obstruction on the material).

There's also a few spells in the Spell Compendium you might want to take a look at - Ghost Trap, and Make Manifest, specifically. Also Ghost Touch Weapon (cast it on a gauntlet).

Edit: Oh, and do get Ghostwalk. There's a ring in there you may be very interested in.

Medic!
2013-03-22, 12:02 AM
Ghostwalk is pretty A++, some deep demented side of me always wanted to make a sorcerer using Spellcasting Prodigy and the two (stacking) similar feats from Ghostwalk.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-22, 12:54 AM

Preemtively ban Flesh of Orcus. Gives you the freakin' Vampire template for 6k.