PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Race] Would you help me out determing these race LA?

CinuzIta
2013-03-21, 12:25 PM
Hello everybody!

I've created a new race for my campaign, but I've always had problems in determining the LA for the races I create! So I'd like to ask you guys some help with it. Here is the race!
The concept is of a new race of monstrous humanoids, of the same family of minotaurs, that are half humans and half ibexes. They live in mountain, along with dwarves, in cities created from the rock of mountains [something like a pueblo]. As a normal ibex, they are sure on their feet and very sturdy and resistant!

Ibexion
- Abilities: +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha. Ibexiones are agile and resistant but they often are a bit closed minded and hot headed.
-Type: Monstrous humanoid. Size: Medium.
- Speed: 30 ft.
- Low light vision
- Scent
- Powerful legs: +5 bonus on Balance check. Moreover an Ibexion is never in difficulty on impervious terrains.
- A +2 bonus on Climb and Jump checks.
- Powerful charge: an Ibexion can use his horns to attack their enemies when they charge. They deal 3d6 +1-1/2 Strenght modifier.
- Known languages: Ibex, Common. Extra languages: Dwarven, Giant, Orc, Sylvan.
- Favourite class: Fighter.
- LA: ???

What do you say? I was planning to create a LA +0 class, but I'm not sure about it!

Nolthestranger
2013-03-21, 12:33 PM
Not a La +0, that horn charge deals way too much damage for a lvl 1 grunt (average 10,5 damage on a regular attack : wipes out pretty much any 1st level char)
that and these bonus on physicals, malus on intellectuals unbalances it

For a more precise guide on building standard races, see Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183223), it'll likely provide a good treading path.

-N

CinuzIta
2013-03-21, 02:18 PM
I see, it's a useful guide indeed..I'll take it in mind for my next races

sadly there aren't all the abilities in the list (obviously) so I can't be sure if Scent, for example, worth 4 or 2 points (I think it depends on the game style after all..for some of my players, for example it would be a 2 point ability, but these is not the point since I want to create a truly balanced race)

What about these version? It end up as a 10 point race (supposing scent, the legs thing and the horns are 4 points ability)

- Abilities: +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha
- monstrous humanoid. Medium size
- speed 30 ft
- lowlight vision
- powerful charge: can use horns to attack when he charge instead of his weapon. It deals 2d6 +Str damage (a little worse then a greatsword)
- +2 bonus to jump and climb checks
- firm legs
- scent
- trained against minotaurs: +4 ac when fighting minotaurs

Or I could remove the last special quality and give them a +2 bonus on Wisdom or the ability to move at full speed while in medium and heavy armours..these way, they'd be an 11 point race (as an elf, seeing the guide you posted)

Nolthestranger
2013-03-21, 03:07 PM
Looks a lot better, i'd say scent is a one or two point at best ;
Powerfull charge is pretty much equal to the feat now
One thing though : drop the monstrous humanoid, it gives it cheesy options on alter self, and darkvision 60', make it a human subrace.

Let's see what we have :
Non human progression with a second penalty (-4)
Low light vision (1)
Scent (1-2)
Powerfull charge (4)
+2 bonus to jump and climb checks (skilled x2) (2)
Combat training (1)
Firm legs : +5 balance, and no difficult terrain penalty (2-3)

total 7-9points

Here is what i suggest : Add Slow and steady, but give it a slight disadvantage, to flesh it out for example :

Non human progression with a second penalty (-4)
Low light vision (1)
Scent (2)
Powerfull charge : Character is shakened after such a charge
(A shaken character takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks)(4-1)
+2 bonus to jump and climb checks (skilled x2) (2)
Combat training (1)
Firm legs : +4 balance, and no difficult terrain penalty (2)
Slow and Steady: Your speed is not reduced by wearing medium or heavy armor or while carrying a heavy load. This ability does not negate the Fleet of Foot feat (and thereby does not negate buying additional speed, as shown above). (2)

Total : 9 points

CinuzIta
2013-03-21, 03:36 PM
i think that for powerfull charge I'll adopt your idea, but I'll change it these way:

Powerfull charge: 2d6 +1-1/2Str. Character is fatigued for 1d6 rounds after the charge.

Also, I'll change the type to humanoid with the [newly invented] Bestial subtype! So that if I want to create more races like these, I'll already have a type and subtype to start from!

Moreover, since there is 1 point left, I'll let them be familiar with 2 exotic weapons!

I'm really happy and satisfied with these race! Thank you very much both for your help and for pointing me out that guide!:)