PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Looking for clarification on Control Winds

Vastly
2013-03-21, 12:49 PM
The spell control winds seems like a really fun, powerful and flavorful spell for my Prophet of the Wind (Oracle w/ Wind Mystery). But I'm not clear on a couple of points as to how it functions.

Here is the spell for those unfamiliar with it:
School transmutation [air]; Level druid 5
Casting
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S

Effect
Range 40 ft./level
Area 40 ft./level radius cylinder 40 ft. high
Duration 10 min./level
Saving Throw Fortitude negates; Spell Resistance no

Description
You alter wind force in the area surrounding you. You can make the wind blow in a certain direction or manner, increase its strength, or decrease its strength. The new wind direction and strength persist until the spell ends or until you choose to alter your handiwork, which requires concentration. You may create an “eye” of calm air up to 80 feet in diameter at the center of the area if you so desire, and you may choose to limit the area to any cylindrical area less than your full limit.

Wind Direction: You may choose one of four basic wind patterns to function over the spell's area.

A downdraft blows from the center outward in equal strength in all directions.
An updraft blows from the outer edges in toward the center in equal strength from all directions, veering upward before impinging on the eye in the center.
Rotation causes the winds to circle the center in clockwise or counterclockwise fashion.
A blast simply causes the winds to blow in one direction across the entire area from one side to the other.

Wind Strength: For every three caster levels, you can increase or decrease wind strength by one level. Each round on your turn, a creature in the wind must make a Fortitude save or suffer the effect of being in the windy area. See Environment for more details.

Strong winds (21+ mph) make sailing difficult.

A severe wind (31+ mph) causes minor ship and building damage.

A windstorm (51+ mph) drives most flying creatures from the skies, uproots small trees, knocks down light wooden structures, tears off roofs, and endangers ships.

Hurricane force winds (75+ mph) destroy wooden buildings, uproot large trees, and cause most ships to founder.

A tornado (175+ mph) destroys all nonfortified buildings and often uproots large trees.

First question: Is the area immobile, centered on me, or centered on a point of my choosing (which could be myself or something else)? The spell isn't terribly clear on this being an immobile effect or not. The point would be to cast it centered on myself, and have my whirlwind move with me.

Second question: How does the save on this work? What does the fort save actually save against? Does it allow them to ignore being pushed around, or can they ignore the wind and it's corresponding effects entirely?

For instance, if I create a tornado strength effect:
Tornado (CR 10): All flames are extinguished. All ranged attacks are impossible (even with siege weapons), as are sound-based Perception checks. Instead of being blown away (see Table: Wind Effects), characters in close proximity to a tornado who fail their Fortitude saves are sucked toward the tornado. Those who come in contact with the actual funnel cloud are picked up and whirled around for 1d10 rounds, taking 6d6 points of damage per round, before being violently expelled (falling damage might apply). While a tornado's rotational speed can be as great as 300 mph, the funnel itself moves forward at an average of 30 mph (roughly 250 feet per round). A tornado uproots trees, destroys buildings, and causes similar forms of major destruction.

The description of the wind effect mentions a fort save to avoid being sucked toward the tornado. However no save is mentioned for when you touch the funnel and start taking damage, it appears to be an automatic condition of coming in contact with such strong winds. So does the save for control winds only protect against being pulled/pushed by the wind, or does it stop the damage as well? Or does it allow them to just move freely in the wind, but continue to take damage while within?

Mind you the other wind effects don't mention saves of any kind, and provide hefty penalties to ranged attacks, perception and fly checks. Does the fort save allow them to completely ignore these penalties? It seems odd that it would, as magically created wind, is still tangible, physical wind and shouldn't be something you can completely ignore with a strong fortitude if an equivalent natural wind doesn't allow it.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

Frathe
2013-03-21, 12:53 PM
You alter wind force in the area surrounding you.This clearly indicates an area of effect centered on yourself (the caster).

I would assume the Fortitude save negates being pushed and damage, but does not affect wind wall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWall.htm)-type effects.

Eldonauran
2013-03-21, 06:23 PM
Sounds to me like the spell is centered on you. Woe be to those caught up in the minimum 360ft radius (720ft diameter), 40ft high cylinder of wind you summon forth!

Seems to me that the effect is stationary (on you, so if you move, it does) and things that would get push/pulled into it have to make a save to resist it, every round. Once they hit the actual funnel cloud, they take the damage every round until they get thrown free.

I am so using this spell...

EDIT: I am going to have to change my opinion. It has an area and a range. It can be centered on you but can be cast 40ft/level away from you too. The entire area inside of it is affected by the spell (except for the area you choose). That's a big tornado.

Ravenica
2013-03-21, 06:28 PM
if you are using the pathfinder version it is a fixed area (confirmed printed in skull and shackles) it is a ranged spell meaning you target an area within 40ft/l (it does not have to be centered on yourself regardless of flavour text)

no idea about 3.5 version but it features the same rangeso it is reasonable to say it is also targetting an area

TuggyNE
2013-03-21, 10:44 PM
The fluff strongly suggests it's centered on the caster, but that's not strictly required by the statblock. However, the only effect of moving it off-center is to reduce the total area it covers; any part of the spell area that extends outside of the range is useless and does nothing, and since the range is just large enough to contain the area when centered, any other position will start clipping.

Vastly
2013-03-22, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

So, it seems that the spell targets an area, not necessarily centered on the caster. That said, if you did center it on the caster you could argue that it would move with him as it doesn't expressively say it's immobile and stationary. But that's a matter of interpretation, and could vary table to table.

As for the save, it seems that it negates being pushed, pulled or otherwise having your movement obstructed by the wind. At least that's how I read it.

Ravenica
2013-03-22, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

So, it seems that the spell targets an area, not necessarily centered on the caster. That said, if you did center it on the caster you could argue that it would move with him as it doesn't expressively say it's immobile and stationary. But that's a matter of interpretation, and could vary table to table.

As for the save, it seems that it negates being pushed, pulled or otherwise having your movement obstructed by the wind. At least that's how I read it.

On the contrary, the spell specifically targets an area, even if you center it on the caster there's no RAW to say it will move with the caster, it isn't an emanation like amf it's a cylinder or an aura

range of the spell as defined in the core books
Range Expressed in Feet: Some spells have no standard
range category, just a range expressed in feet.

spell area type
"When casting a cylinder-shaped spell, you select
the spell’s point of origin. This point is the center of a
horizontal
circle, and the spell shoots down from the
circle,
filling a cylinder. A cylinder-shaped spell ignores
any obstructions within its area."

The fluff strongly suggests it's centered on the caster, but that's not strictly required by the statblock. However, the only effect of moving it off-center is to reduce the total area it covers; any part of the spell area that extends outside of the range is useless and does nothing, and since the range is just large enough to contain the area when centered, any other position will start clipping.

The area of a spell is not limited by the range, you fire a fireball out to max range it still effects the same area just like a cylinder area spell

to answer the last question in the OP The wind is a magical effect the save means you ignore the effects of the wind altogether, normal wind is not magical and thus the driving force is not so easily ignored.

Vastly
2013-03-22, 02:55 PM
Thanks Ravenica, that mostly clears it up, one last question though.

I would assume, ranged attacks and perception check penalties in the area still apply regardless of creatures making their save, is that correct?

Ravenica
2013-03-22, 02:59 PM
ranged attacks yes for sure, the attack doesn't get a save and neither do unattended objects so it would certainly still kick up all the dust and debris hindering perception as well.

Vastly
2013-03-22, 03:06 PM
Don't forget that wind traveling at 175-300mph makes about as much noise as a freight train, possibly more.

By the time I can cast it the spell will have a DC 21, which is respectable, so it should still prove effective. And I might be able to convince a GM to allow for half damage if I produce tornado strength winds. Either way, I love the idea of this spell, even more so if you consider I can get tornado strength winds at lvl 10 by casting a quickened gust of wind before hand, or having an ally cast it for me.

My Prophet of the Wind is finally starting to come into his own, with spells to back up the "Wind" portion of his title :smallsmile:

Ravenica
2013-03-22, 03:12 PM
heh it's an awesome spell, and if you center it on yourself and use the calm in the center you can use a decent set of area buffs to have a very defensible fortress for you and your party when something wants to kill you!

And as an added bonus unlike some weather spells, you don't have to be outside to use it! I've seen some parties use it under water to create currents, and inside dungeons to fill a room they are approaching that's filled with baddies with a tornado.

I've even seen it used to blow an entire encounter off a cliff instead of facing them... the player started calling it greater gust of wind after that... I was just glad it wasn't the bbeg XD

Vastly
2013-03-22, 03:18 PM
I've even seen it used to blow an entire encounter off a cliff instead of facing them... the player started calling it greater gust of wind after that... I was just glad it wasn't the bbeg XD

That is awesome!

I really can't wait until I get it, I'm very much looking forward to all of it's potential. So much fun to be had :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2013-03-22, 06:54 PM
The area of a spell is not limited by the range, you fire a fireball out to max range it still effects the same area just like a cylinder area spell

Not so, but far otherwise.
If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted.

Ravenica
2013-03-22, 08:09 PM
bah obsolete nonsense XD