PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Deathless Necromancer?

Xuldarinar
2013-03-21, 02:08 PM
No, theres no table yet. No abilities. Just a concept.

I'd like to make either a class, or a prestige class, that centers around creating/controlling/becoming/ect. deathless.

For those of you who don't know, deathless are a sort of holy undead. They heal by positive energy, are harmed by negative energy, and typically are good aligned.

Possible bases for such a class (going off the assumption of a core class) include:
Dread Necromancer (HoH) and the Death Master (Dragon Magazine Compendium)

Possible bases in terms of prestige class include:
Master of Shrouds (LM), Pale Master (LM), True Necromancer (LM), Thrall of Orcus (BoVD), and Walker in the Waste (Sandstorm).

Casting would most likely be at least partially divine, of course. Spells, I know of none that create deathless so some home brewing on spells may be required, or just have unique abilities tacked on.

So, any ideas/advice for creating a sort of deathless necromancer?

bobthe6th
2013-03-21, 04:06 PM
You want the lazy version or the good version?

Lazy way would just take the dread necromancer and refluff it as positive energy based. Play with the spell list, make charnel touch into touch of vitality, ect. Use the Undying type from Eberon to make skelitons/zombies, and translate some greater undead. Is a bit of work, but much less then a full class.

The Good way would be making a class from the ground up. Somthing like the dread necromancer, but with a better mechanic then vancian spell casting.

JoshuaZ
2013-03-21, 05:16 PM
You want the lazy version or the good version?

Lazy way would just take the dread necromancer and refluff it as positive energy based. Play with the spell list, make charnel touch into touch of vitality, ect. Use the Undying type from Eberon to make skelitons/zombies, and translate some greater undead. Is a bit of work, but much less then a full class.

The lazy way would also be potentially unbalanced in most parties since it would give easy free healing.

Milo v3
2013-03-21, 05:20 PM
This class might work. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14742508&postcount=32)

But it might be too generic necromancer for your tastes. Also, I haven't put up it's spell list. And it refers to creatures that haven't been stated up yet....

bobthe6th
2013-03-21, 05:25 PM
The lazy way would also be potentially unbalanced in most parties since it would give easy free healing.

See my suggestion of touch of vitality(from dragon shaman, PHBII), its like lay on hands, but with debuff removal by spending more points.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-21, 06:58 PM
Hmm.. I certainly wouldn't the lazy way of doing things. Hmm.. But would it be best as; 20 level Class, 15 level PrC, 10 level PrC, or 5 level PrC.

Realms of Chaos
2013-03-21, 07:14 PM
How to make a deathless class? I suppose that depends on how you want to work them. The key thing to remember is that a good character probably has far more problems enslaving good creatures than an evil creature has problems with enslaving evil creatures.

As such, a deathless class would probably be much less of a "minion master" and far more of a "holy general", calling on the deathless out of duty and respect rather than caging their minds, turning them into deathless only if the original soul is willing, and earning recognition among the deathless rather than rebuking them.

While deathless "control" would probably be a thing, I personally see summoning (similar to a master of shrouds) seeming more likely other than a small honor guard of deathless (which would probably more like cohorts).

As for positive energy and healing shenanigans, you could simply make the effect "positive energy" in the same way that disrupt undead is positive energy. Alternately, have it grant temporary hit points to the living instead of endless healing.

Of course, that's probably just my view on the matter... though I might take a crack at making this thing.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-21, 07:46 PM
How to make a deathless class? I suppose that depends on how you want to work them. The key thing to remember is that a good character probably has far more problems enslaving good creatures than an evil creature has problems with enslaving evil creatures.

As such, a deathless class would probably be much less of a "minion master" and far more of a "holy general", calling on the deathless out of duty and respect rather than caging their minds, turning them into deathless only if the original soul is willing, and earning recognition among the deathless rather than rebuking them.

While deathless "control" would probably be a thing, I personally see summoning (similar to a master of shrouds) seeming more likely other than a small honor guard of deathless (which would probably more like cohorts).

As for positive energy and healing shenanigans, you could simply make the effect "positive energy" in the same way that disrupt undead is positive energy. Alternately, have it grant temporary hit points to the living instead of endless healing.

Of course, that's probably just my view on the matter... though I might take a crack at making this thing.

Good points. I've a lot to think about.

Being a deathless class, a sort of leader makes sense. Though there is a question as to if I should include a transformation aspect akin to the dread necromancer and walker in the wastes. One way to go would be raising deathless, and them willingly assisting. We could also go the direction of more of "summoning" them. There is also a path like that of the shadow dancer, having a single minion. So many variables. Theres also the consideration of how few deathless types there are compared to how many undead there are. I know of only one (official) PrC that revolves around deathless, and that first requires you die and you become one at the start of it.