PDA

View Full Version : Noblesse

Olinser
2013-03-21, 05:06 PM
So, I don't see another thread on this, but does anybody around here read Noblesse?

It is one of the most popular and long-running Manwha in webcomic form in Korea right now, has been going since 2007, with 276 chapters as of this post, and can be found

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/noblesse/

MLai
2013-03-22, 02:47 AM
1. Is it in English?
2. If it's translated to English... is the translation/ localization any good?
3. If I don't want to bother clicking on the link... which I don't... can you tell me what it's about?
4. And can you tell me briefly why you think it's good and/or popular?

Killer Angel
2013-03-22, 04:04 AM
So, I don't see another thread on this, but does anybody around here read Noblesse?

It is one of the most popular and long-running web comics in Korea right now, has been going since 2007, with 276 chapters as of this post, and can be found

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/noblesse/

Well, probably it was better to post it in the webcomic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) section of the forum.
I'll report it to move the thread there. :smallwink:

Olinser
2013-03-22, 08:39 AM
Well, probably it was better to post it in the webcomic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) section of the forum.
I'll report it to move the thread there. :smallwink:

It shouldn't be in that section, this is where they're talking about manga. It's not a webcomic like those are - it's closer to Manwha. 'Webcomic' is what they call the form - it's popular in Korea, where a lot of them will publish on the web rather than in serialized publications like in Japan. This is a weekly 20-30 page item, this isn't somebody that updates 1 page every few days.

And to answer a previous question, yes it is translated, and it's a pretty good translation.

Olinser
2013-03-22, 08:46 AM
1. Is it in English?
2. If it's translated to English... is the translation/ localization any good?
3. If I don't want to bother clicking on the link... which I don't... can you tell me what it's about?
4. And can you tell me briefly why you think it's good and/or popular?

Yes, it is translated - and pretty well. With fan-made translation of course you occasionally get bad ones, but this one is probably 99% good.

The basic plotline is that Cadis Estrama Di Raizel or 'Rai' to his friends, wakes up in the middle of Korea after sleeping for 820 years.

He goes off and finds his old servant Frankenstein is in charge of a school, where he meets some human friends.

However, it turns out that there is the necessary Evil Organization that is searching for him, and sending agents after him. After Rai and Frankenstein deal with them, more Union agents crop up.

About that point is when suddenly more Nobles show up. And it shifts to finding more about the Nobles (basically vampires - but they don't drink blood, so they're more like superpowered individuals that don't age), with them going to the Noble's home island.

When they come back the Union (evil organization) is putting a lot more effort into finding them, and sends some of it's Elders out to figure out what the hell is going on.

For about the last 80 chapters or so it's been almost nonstop fights between the Nobles and the Union.

As the series goes on it shifts much more to a fighting-style manga reminiscent of Dragonball Z or Naruto, where the focus goes much more to individual fights.

MLai
2013-03-22, 09:19 AM
That's it, I'm gonna have to make up a story about NEO, the Necessary Evil Organization. :smallbiggrin:

Olinser
2013-03-22, 02:03 PM
That's it, I'm gonna have to make up a story about NEO, the Necessary Evil Organization. :smallbiggrin:

You heard it here first!

Forrestfire
2013-03-22, 02:16 PM
I found this a few weeks ago, and I agree that it's awesome :smallbiggrin:

Also, a better place to read it would be here (http://egscans.com/page/2/?s=noblesse&x=-1154&y=-120), since it's the site that the translators actually upload to.

Olinser
2013-03-22, 02:22 PM
I found this a few weeks ago, and I agree that it's awesome :smallbiggrin:

Also, a better place to read it would be here (http://egscans.com/page/2/?s=noblesse&x=-1154&y=-120), since it's the site that the translators actually upload to.

Ah, I'll check it out.

If you like Noblesse the same author actually started another story in the same style called Ability. It's fairly, new, just under 20 chapters so far.

Forrestfire
2013-03-24, 02:32 AM
Oh yeah, I saw that! :smallbiggrin:

I like the concept of his punches healing people when he goes into his superpowered-side :smalltongue:

Olinser
2013-03-25, 01:38 PM
Oh yeah, I saw that! :smallbiggrin:

I like the concept of his punches healing people when he goes into his superpowered-side :smalltongue:

If you liked it you should also check out Tower of God - another Korean Manwha/Webcomic.

Forrestfire
2013-03-25, 03:13 PM
Been reading that for a while :smalltongue:

Have you read Trace? It's another really good manhwa.

Olinser
2013-03-25, 03:32 PM
Been reading that for a while :smalltongue:

Have you read Trace? It's another really good manhwa.

No I haven't - what's the premise?

The Korean ones I'm following right now are:

Noblesse
Ability
Tower of God
Girls of the Wild (also sometimes titled as Girl the Wild or The Wild Girls)

Killer Angel
2013-03-25, 03:39 PM
It shouldn't be in that section, this is where they're talking about manga. It's not a webcomic like those are - it's closer to Manwha. 'Webcomic' is what they call the form - it's popular in Korea, where a lot of them will publish on the web rather than in serialized publications like in Japan. This is a weekly 20-30 page item, this isn't somebody that updates 1 page every few days.

Ah, makes sense.

Well, i'll take a look, it seems interesting. :smallwink:

Forrestfire
2013-03-25, 04:01 PM
The premise of Trace is that sometime in the near future, creatures called Troubles appeared and started breaking things. Superhumans that eventually became called Traces ("traces of troubles") developed at the same time. Anyway, over thirty years the public has come to have a distrust for traces because of people who used their powers for bad, etc.

I would describe it as "Korean X-men" ish. It's a really neat, well-written manhwa with lots of characters and lots of cool fights, and a good overarching plot arc.

Slayn82
2013-03-26, 04:57 PM
I follow Noblesse and Tower of God. Both are very good stories, done with great care by single artists. Loving them:smallbiggrin:

Forrestfire
2013-03-26, 04:59 PM
Maybe this should be a "Manhwa General" thread instead.

TechnOkami
2013-03-26, 05:00 PM
I like it, though I do have one general complaint.
Their werewolves need to go more full on werewolf mode, wolf head, fangs, claws n' all. Other than that I really do enjoy Noblesse.

Olinser
2013-03-26, 05:24 PM
I like it, though I do have one general complaint.
Their werewolves need to go more full on werewolf mode, wolf head, fangs, claws n' all. Other than that I really do enjoy Noblesse.

That comes later.

Geddoe
2013-03-27, 12:31 AM
I always find it hugely entertaining whenever Rai fights in this. Not sure if it needs to be spoilered, but better safe than sorry. They are always such hilariously one-sided stomps.

Forrestfire
2013-03-27, 12:50 AM
Heck, even the one fight it wasn't a huge stomp, it was still an utter curb stomp :smallamused:

Olinser
2013-03-27, 07:10 AM
Heck, even the one fight it wasn't a huge stomp, it was still an utter curb stomp :smallamused:

Yeah... but I think this one is going to be different. 2 clan leaders and a werewolf Alpha? ONE of them has to be able to survive at least the opening shot.

TechnOkami
2013-03-27, 01:21 PM
That comes later.

Nono, I'm up to date with what's happening.
I can't remember what chapter specifically, but it's where Frankenstein, Seria, & that one Ninja Vampire w/ the half Soul Weapon are fighting those four Clan Leaders (one's a werewolf, two are vampires, one's some Frankenstein-esque (book, not character) monster designed to fight Lukendonian Vampires.

Olinser
2013-03-27, 01:26 PM
Nono, I'm up to date with what's happening.
I can't remember what chapter specifically, but it's where Frankenstein, Seria, & that one Ninja Vampire w/ the half Soul Weapon are fighting those four Clan Leaders (one's a werewolf, two are vampires, one's some Frankenstein-esque (book, not character) monster designed to fight Lukendonian Vampires.

Well, the Werewolf isn't a clan leader - but she does go pretty much full transformation.

TechnOkami
2013-03-27, 01:43 PM
Well, the Werewolf isn't a clan leader - but she does go pretty much full transformation.

That full transformation doesn't look that exciting to me. I mean, part of her body is untransformed, her head isn't even that of a wolf. I was expecting a fuller transformation, more wolf-esque and majestic, but powerful all the same. This looks like hardly a half transformation.

Also: more specifically in terms of chapters, the Noblesse just came out of his sleep to save the day.

Olinser
2013-03-29, 10:29 AM
That full transformation doesn't look that exciting to me. I mean, part of her body is untransformed, her head isn't even that of a wolf. I was expecting a fuller transformation, more wolf-esque and majestic, but powerful all the same. This looks like hardly a half transformation.

Also: more specifically in terms of chapters, the Noblesse just came out of his sleep to save the day.

Well, she looks almost identical to when M-21 transformed when Rai kickstarted his abilities with his blood (chap 89) - and that was stated outright to be the 'full' strength of a werewolf. I think that's as good as it gets for werewolves.

TechnOkami
2013-03-30, 11:11 AM
Well, she looks almost identical to when M-21 transformed when Rai kickstarted his abilities with his blood (chap 89) - and that was stated outright to be the 'full' strength of a werewolf. I think that's as good as it gets for werewolves.

:/

Ok, that I'm a little grumbly about. I could have sworn that earlier on when Frankie was talking about the werewolves, they showed a silhouetted werewolf in hybrid form. And I don't think that M-21 would be able to emulate a full werewolf's power......with just the heart of one.

Idk, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought that hybrid form was gonna be a thing. *grumble*

Olinser
2013-03-30, 08:10 PM
:/

Ok, that I'm a little grumbly about. I could have sworn that earlier on when Frankie was talking about the werewolves, they showed a silhouetted werewolf in hybrid form. And I don't think that M-21 would be able to emulate a full werewolf's power......with just the heart of one.

Idk, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought that hybrid form was gonna be a thing. *grumble*

Well I get the feeling we're going to find out tomorrow when the new chapter comes out.

IMO, since werewolf chick clearly is NOT going to recognize Rai (didn't recognize Frankenstein), I think the most likely scenario is that the other 2 Elders chuck her at Rai while they run like mad. Or... throw her to the wolves, if you will. :smallbiggrin:

I get the feeling she's going to be the first one besides the Lord to last more than one shot!

Geddoe
2013-04-02, 01:21 AM
They seem to be going for the good old fashioned Double Team, and losing, as Rai displays his new blood wings.

Partysan
2013-04-02, 07:46 AM
I've been reading Noblesse pretty much ever since thye started translating it. It's really well done, but I kinda miss the kids, especially the red-haired guy whose name I just now cannot recall. They really fell out of focus now that there's high-powered fighting going on all the time. There should be a combat break by now anyhow...

Olinser
2013-04-02, 09:42 AM
I've been reading Noblesse pretty much ever since thye started translating it. It's really well done, but I kinda miss the kids, especially the red-haired guy whose name I just now cannot recall. They really fell out of focus now that there's high-powered fighting going on all the time. There should be a combat break by now anyhow...

Han Shinwoo is the name - and actually there is considerable speculation, with the reveal that the 12th Elder was actually just a human that formed a contract with Roctis, that Shinwoo is going to form a contract with a Noble and re-enter the scene.

Probably Seira, given how much Ship Tease there was between them.

Olinser
2013-04-02, 09:43 AM

I agree with the combat break though, probably after the 3 Elders that are currently fighting are either dead or fled, we are going to have a short/mid-length arc where Lukedonia gets together to figure out what they're going to do about the Union and the Traitors.

Partysan
2013-04-02, 09:55 AM
Han Shinwoo is the name - and actually there is considerable speculation, with the reveal that the 12th Elder was actually just a human that formed a contract with Roctis, that Shinwoo is going to form a contract with a Noble and re-enter the scene.

Probably Seira, given how much Ship Tease there was between them.

That doesn't actually sound so bad as an idea - Han Shinwoo is already an accomplished martial artist after all. Still, I liked the interaction with them in general - and that other kid also became friends with Tao, so it's not like they wouldn't be missed. Right now they've reduced to the role of helpless hostages which, while consistent with the power levels we have going on at the moment, isn't particularly fun to read. Considering how those kids are apparently extremely important to Rai as well, I'd like them to get a little bit of focus from time to time.

...Considering that makes 2 characters I can't remember the name of anymore, even though that just proves my point of them having been out of the spotlight for too long, I will right now go over and reread the webtoon again from the beginning to fix my failures.

Spamotron
2013-04-02, 11:58 PM
I read the first half of Noblesse pretty consistently but I started skimming after they mindwiped the kids. It felt contrived. "We're going to mindwipe you to protect you but still interact with you constantly in a public fashion meaning that if the Union finds out about us you'll be in danger again anyway."

Which is exactly what just happened this arc.

Different Topic: Its a pretty consistent pattern that any villain that is even slightly honourable/likeable will eventually turn to the good guy's side. The only question is if they survive doing it. So Werewolf Lady's face turn is practically inevitable. Why is pretty simple to figure out too. The Werewolf race is established as being on the verge of extinction. She probably joined the Union in a desperate attempt to save her people. The very same Union that slaughtered god knows how many werewolves for the experiment that created M-21. When she finds out about those experiments she is not going to be happy.

TechnOkami
2013-04-03, 11:48 AM
Possible, but unlikely I think.Werewolves are just as "on the verge of extinction" as the Lukendonian vampires are, and besides, it's currently my theory that the Grey-haired Doctor guy who made M-21 and Co. is either a werewolf or a souped up Superhuman like Frankie. His wolf like sideburns make me lean towards werewolf, but werewolves are my favorite fantasy creatures, so I might be somewhat biased. :smalltongue:

Partysan
2013-04-03, 11:57 AM
Possible, but unlikely I think.Werewolves are just as "on the verge of extinction" as the Lukendonian vampires are, and besides, it's currently my theory that the Grey-haired Doctor guy who made M-21 and Co. is either a werewolf or a souped up Superhuman like Frankie. His wolf like sideburns make me lean towards werewolf, but werewolves are my favorite fantasy creatures, so I might be somewhat biased. :smalltongue:

I think Crombell is an enhanced human, not a werewolf. After all, it is heavily implied that not only the Union's research but his own progress beyond it are both based on Frankenstein's old research documents. Also, when he first appeared personally, someone said that his and Frankie's aura are similar.

Olinser
2013-04-03, 12:10 PM
I think Crombell is an enhanced human, not a werewolf. After all, it is heavily implied that not only the Union's research but his own progress beyond it are both based on Frankenstein's old research documents. Also, when he first appeared personally, someone said that his and Frankie's aura are similar.

My own personal theory is that Crombell is in fact

An entity created by, or that escaped from, the Dark Spear. The Dark Spear appears to have at least some form of independent thought, and it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the first time that Frankenstein used his 'spear form', if you will, that somebody made a break for freedom, and Frankenstein didn't notice.

Partysan
2013-04-03, 01:14 PM
My own personal theory is that Crombell is in fact

An entity created by, or that escaped from, the Dark Spear. The Dark Spear appears to have at least some form of independent thought, and it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the first time that Frankenstein used his 'spear form', if you will, that somebody made a break for freedom, and Frankenstein didn't notice.

That's an interesting hypothesis, although my first reaction was simply: isn't Crombell too young for that? After all, that was more than 820 years ago, when Roctis was still in Lukedonia.

Olinser
2013-04-03, 04:01 PM
That's an interesting hypothesis, although my first reaction was simply: isn't Crombell too young for that? After all, that was more than 820 years ago, when Roctis was still in Lukedonia.

Frankenstein is a human, and still looks the same after 820 years.

Partysan
2013-04-03, 05:54 PM
Frankenstein is a human, and still looks the same after 820 years.

Yes, but I understood Crombell to be a somewhat new member of the Union, who only a short time ago became an Elder, and since his own enhancement that would allow him to live as long would go hand in hand with his progress in human enhancement research and thus his rising position in the Union he couldn't really have been at it that long. At least that's what I think.
Frankenstein can live for a millenium because he had already enhanced himself that 820+ years ago and didn't age anymore. Crombell could only enhance himself after finding Frankenstein's records, which happened when he was in the Union already and from then on he quickly rose in position culminating in becoming an Elder. However he is a very new Elder at the point when the story plays, making it unlikely that he's been working on it for that long.

Olinser
2013-04-03, 06:24 PM
Yes, but I understood Crombell to be a somewhat new member of the Union, who only a short time ago became an Elder, and since his own enhancement that would allow him to live as long would go hand in hand with his progress in human enhancement research and thus his rising position in the Union he couldn't really have been at it that long. At least that's what I think.
Frankenstein can live for a millenium because he had already enhanced himself that 820+ years ago and didn't age anymore. Crombell could only enhance himself after finding Frankenstein's records, which happened when he was in the Union already and from then on he quickly rose in position culminating in becoming an Elder. However he is a very new Elder at the point when the story plays, making it unlikely that he's been working on it for that long.

Hmm, I'd have to go look back, but I understood that it was said on panel that Crombell found Frankenstein's journal at least 100 years ago.

Spamotron
2013-04-03, 06:40 PM
No, the organization that would become the Union found some of Frankenstein's notes in a ruined house about a hundred years ago.

Crombell found a second set of even more complete notes at a bookstore more recently after receiving an anonymous tip to look there. He used them to advance to his current position.

Someone is playing a game and using the Union, Rai and others as pieces. Someone put Rai's coffin in Korea in the same city as Frankenstein's school. Someone tipped off Crombell about Frankenstein's notes in the bookstore. Is it the same person who did both? It it Roctis? Someone we haven't met yet?

Olinser
2013-04-03, 09:12 PM
No, the organization that would become the Union found some of Frankenstein's notes in a ruined house about a hundred years ago.

Crombell found a second set of even more complete notes at a bookstore more recently after receiving an anonymous tip to look there. He used them to advance to his current position.

Someone is playing a game and using the Union, Rai and others as pieces. Someone put Rai's coffin in Korea in the same city as Frankenstein's school. Someone tipped off Crombell about Frankenstein's notes in the bookstore. Is it the same person who did both? It it Roctis? Someone we haven't met yet?

PSHAW, of course it's Frankenstein.

Further backed up by the fact that for all his bluster and being 'worried' about Rai, so far since coming back from Lukedonia, Frakenstein has successfully failed (heh heh) so spectacularly that Rai used his power EVERY SINGLE FIGHT. You can't fail that hard unless you're trying.

Forrestfire
2013-04-08, 06:56 PM
Holy crap, his attacks can be seen from orbit :smalleek:

Olinser
2013-04-08, 10:20 PM

Well, they did just make their reappearance.

A common fan theory is that Shinwoo is going to form a Contract with one of the Nobles - probably Seira.

Geddoe
2013-04-11, 02:51 PM
So much for our theory of the two elders not getting one shotted.

Olinser
2013-04-11, 03:09 PM
So much for our theory of the two elders not getting one shotted.

Well, they didn't actually get one-shotted with Rai's limiter on like the others did.

They would have beaten him in his regular form. He had to pull out his super form to take them.

Olinser
2013-04-15, 11:41 AM
So, if I am reading this chapter correctly, it sounds like

Whatever happened 820 years ago, it was NOT just the Clan Leaders fighting Rai. Unless they somehow convinced him to heal them up after he beat them down.

It kind of seems like they basically threw troops at Rai and force him to use his power again and again and again, until he was finally spent and had to retreat.

After all, if Rai is in this bad of shape after using his power less than 10 times, what kind of shape would he be in if the Clan Leaders had just sent 10 or 20 groups of 5 reasonably high-powered Nobles at him? He'd have to use his power multiple times, and they'd just wear him down.