PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Need help with a build to fit a character concept

genderlich
2013-03-21, 05:10 PM
I have word from my group's DM that the next campaign after this one is going to be a high-level game (probably starting around level 9-11) set in a continent that is a massive jungle with ruins of an ancient civilization. Plenty of potential for cool stuff. I have a concept rolling around in my head that I like a lot, but I'm having trouble with the mechanics to fit it.

I want to play a middle-aged retired adventurer, tough as nails, with a been-everywhere, seen-everything attitude. The defining characteristic is being able to endure any kind of punishment and injury. I see it best as a Ranger or Fighter, but in a high-level game like this I'm worried about being underpowered, especially since focusing on Constitution and stuff isn't exactly an optimized build to begin with. I think I can make the character work as a Cleric (probably with the Strength and Travel domains), but only as a last resort. So I need help with all of these options - anything you can come up with to be better in general, and also to further the concept of endurance and fortitude.

The character was inspired in the first place by the Unbreakable (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/unbreakable) archetype, but it seems fairly weak to me. But if I do go with a Fighter I'll probably use it anyway. I'd rather have a Ranger than a Fighter to get more skills, but I'm having trouble coming up with a build that doesn't suck; it seems like Ranger is a really weak class now. Not to mention that I'll likely not have a great score in either Dex or Str, since Con is going to be my highest stat unless I go with a primary caster. So as far as Ranger goes I'd probably select the Two-Handed Weapon combat style, with maybe a one or two level dip in Fighter.

Keneth
2013-03-21, 05:18 PM
Don't play dumb, you clearly want an invulnerable rager (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/invulnerable-rager)! :smallwink:

Seriously though, that's the guy you want, possibly mixed with drunken brute (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/drunken-brute) for lulz and refluffed to whatever concept you're aiming for.

mcv
2013-03-21, 05:18 PM
The Ranger switch-hitter is a solid concept for PF. Does lots of damage both ranged and in melee, and being able to fight in many different styles may help the concept of an experienced veteran. I'm not sure about the "can endure anything" part, though. Con never hurts anyone, and especially not Rangers, but Str, Dex and Wis are more important.

If you really want the "can endure anything" aspect, some Barbarian builds can have a pretty terrifying DR.

genderlich
2013-03-21, 05:27 PM
Forgot to mention - I did think of Barbarian, but I'm playing one right now, albeit a different build. I'd just prefer not to play the same class twice in a row if I have other options. I don't imagine this guy as any kind of raging brute, anyway.

Ravenica
2013-03-21, 05:30 PM
Allan Quartermaine?

man go gunslinger!

Keneth
2013-03-21, 05:33 PM
Shouldn't think of barbarian concepts if you don't want to play one. :smallbiggrin:

You could play a gunslinger since they focus on grit and make touch attacks but it's gonna take a whole lot of shenanigans to make him actually tough. Perhaps a template might be in order if your GM will let you get away with it.

genderlich
2013-03-21, 05:43 PM
I'm actually trying to play every Pathfinder base class for at least 2 sessions each and not repeat until I hit them all. The ones I have left are Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Cavalier, Witch, and Gunslinger. I would repeat if I had a character concept I was really in love with, but not the same class twice in a row. I don't think of this character as any sort of barbarian; he wouldn't go into any screaming rages or anything, and he'd wear heavy armor.

I believe Gunslinger won't work for setting reasons - my DM is really invested in our campaign setting he made and guns are probably too big of a change.

I am considering Crusader or Warblade if I can persuade my DM to allow them in this Pathfinder game; I'd rather keep those as a last resort, though.

Ravenica
2013-03-21, 05:43 PM
hmm any preffered race?

edit: aw and I got all excited over an allan quartermaine build lol... ven grabbed my books :smallfrown:

Keneth
2013-03-21, 05:47 PM
I don't think of this character as any sort of barbarian; he wouldn't go into any screaming rages or anything, and he'd wear heavy armor.

You don't really have to be a crazy screaming type of barbarian and there's archetypes that make great use of heavy armors. If neither barbarian, nor gunslinger fit the bill, I don't really know what else to recommend.

Ravenica
2013-03-21, 05:50 PM
hmm witch

if you go orc or half orc you could play as a scarred witch doctor, casting stat is con will all the extra survival goodies that brings to the table

1/2 level to ac as natural armor = big survival bonus XD

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-21, 09:26 PM
I'd go with the switch hitter ranger, and there's an archetype (I believe the Skirmisher) that trades out spells for what are basically maneuvers. There's also the Urban Barbarian archtype; a one-level dip gets you a rage of +4 to STR, DEX, or CON, instead of just STR and CON. It's versatile because it can give you whatever attribute you need at the moment. You might also be able to combine it with the Invulnerable Rager archetype for DR 1/-, but I'm not sure.

Devils_Advocate
2013-03-22, 04:27 AM
The defining characteristic is being able to endure any kind of punishment and injury. I see it best as a Ranger or Fighter, but in a high-level game like this I'm worried about being underpowered, especially since focusing on Constitution and stuff isn't exactly an optimized build to begin with.
How viable is the whole "Defender" role in Pathfinder? Preventing foes from attacking your teammates is really what gives durability its value in combat.

mcv
2013-03-22, 04:44 AM
How viable is the whole "Defender" role in Pathfinder? Preventing foes from attacking your teammates is really what gives durability its value in combat.

Exactly. Killing the other guy before he kills your buddies, or at least hindering him in some way, tends to be more effective than simply sucking up the damage. HP is definitely important, especially at low levels, But you need a bit more than that.

My impression about Con is that it should never be your lowest stat nor your highest stat (unless you're a scarred witch doctor of course). A few bonus hitpoints are great, but there's diminishing payoff there.

VanIsleKnight
2013-03-22, 04:56 AM
If you don't mind prestige classes, this one is kind of messed up but along the lines of what you're thinking.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/pain-taster

I'd offer more but I'm too sleepy to think of anything else. =/

avr
2013-03-22, 09:23 PM
The grizzled veteran might do better as a leader-type than a defender. Check out this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/battle-herald) PrC & note that the commands can explicitly effect yourself, and that they can improve your durability in several ways.

Intended entry appears to be from a cavalier/bard multiclass. Edit: though a cavalier/sensei monk would be interesting.