PDA

View Full Version : Playing an Undead In Eberron What do i need to know?

RedDragons
2013-03-21, 07:36 PM
I am thinking of playing an undead in eberron , what exactly do I need to know about the setting that would save my ass?

Arcanist
2013-03-21, 07:50 PM
What kind of undead? What level of optimization? What class? Where are you starting (Level and location)? And what is your party's characters stance on Undead?

RedDragons
2013-03-21, 07:55 PM
party is dead , ECL 13 , 4 La for free , Core, Libris Mortis, Completes, Eberron, Libris Mortis, BOVD, ToM, Libris Mortis, ToB. No PSI or incorporeal.

Still I wasen,t asking mechanical question, I was asking fluff.

Arcanist
2013-03-21, 08:00 PM
party is dead , ECL 13 , 4 La for free , Core, Libris Mortis, Completes, Eberron, Libris Mortis, BOVD, ToM, Libris Mortis, ToB. No PSI or incorporeal.

Still I wasen,t asking mechanical question, I was asking fluff.

To successfully save your rump out of a situation, this knowledge is useful. Really it just depends on your party and the world around you. As Undead you won't blend in perfectly, but most villagers won't chase you with flames and pitchforks unless you have it coming.

elonin
2013-03-21, 08:03 PM
I knew that Eberon is a place where people are used to about anything happening, but undead? Would they bat an eye at a Glazebru walking the streets?

Coidzor
2013-03-21, 08:15 PM
Glabrezu would turn heads. Possibly off of their bodies.

How people would react depends upon what region you're in, what kind of undead you are, and your relationship with the Emerald Claw/Blood of Vol/Karrnath. Granted, no one likes to watch their daughter get eaten in the street regardless of whether it's an ogre or a glampire.

Madcrafter
2013-03-21, 09:38 PM
Well in modern Eberron it would depend on where you are and what you look like. As a Karrnathi Skeleton or Zombie you would definitely stand out and probably be met with some fear and suspicion (especially in the lands who battled the most with Karrnath in the Last War), and open hostility in Thrane, unless you were part of an honour guard for a Karrnathi lord or the like. If you look like a normal, but pale human, it's unlikely anyone would notice (unless they had detect undead up or something).
While Karrnath made extensive use of undead troops in the last war, most of them have now been either hid away underground or put out in the border regions (at Fort Bones or the like). If you were one of the most faithful of the Blood of Vol and got transformed that way, they might give you some protection/hiding if you needed it.

Alternatively, if you're an ancestor from Aerinal (not technically undead then though), you might get a less severe reaction, though it'd be unlikely you'd be travelling about then.

Some more information is probably useful, I'd ask your DM a bit what the campaign is intended to be like.

ArcturusV
2013-03-21, 09:56 PM
Then again, getting an undead that can pass for living is also an option. Some like Wights, not really a chance. A mummy might be able to, if you dress up properly and don't go showing off your bandages. Come up with some fluff about how your were horribly scarred by Acid or a Fireball or something to tell villagers if they ask why you're bandaged.

"Oh, a douchebag wizard dropped a Fireball on me when I was young, fueled by corrupt Metamagic. It burned me with wounds that refuse to heal. The bandages are treated to reduce the pain. I cannot ever take them off or I'll be in an unending state of agony where all I can do is scream and beg to die."

BAM! Cover story.

Or you end up playing something like a Pangolin and don't give a rat's ass because no one can tell your undead except for when you are striking.

Urpriest
2013-03-21, 11:03 PM
There are lots of very different organizations in Eberron with reason to employ or utilize undead, and lots of different opinions on undead by region. Where is your campaign set, and who are you working for?

Alienist
2013-03-22, 05:22 AM
You can buy travel papers (a passport) fairly cheaply

supermonkeyjoe
2013-03-22, 05:56 AM
The most important question is; Can the common people tell that you're an undead creature? (RAW this will most likely be no due to lack of Knowledge:religion but we'll ignore that) if you can blend in fairly well (necropolitan, vampire etc.) you should be o.k

If you are blantantly a monster (skeleton, wight, etc) then the reaction depends on the area;

Karrnath:- most likely distrusted by most, if you a karnrnathi zombie or skeleton you may get some small admiration, if you are affiliated with the blood of vol you may have a greater amount of respect from fellow members of the faith.

Thrane:- Persona non grata, you are anathema to the faith of the silver flame, throw down your weapons and prepare to be smote.

Aerenal/anywhere with lots of elves:- If you are deathless (positive energy powered undead) then you should be o.k, if you are a standard negative energy powered undead then you're going to have a bad time.

Sharn:- you should be fine so long as you make yourself useful to the right people, jsut stay away from the groups mentioned above.

Anywhere else I can imagine would have the "standard" D&D attitude towards undead, i.e Run away/kill it with fire