PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Let's talk about Dreads

Chained Birds
2013-03-21, 10:12 PM
So the Dread (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread) is a fear based Psionic class with 3/4ths Power (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/power-lists/power-list-dread) progression.

What I'm mostly curious about is how useful is this guy to a party?
Seems like an okay Debuffer, though not sure on how well his Fears will stack.

Are there enough Fear oriented abilities and tactics that one character can employ?
At least Intimidate will always be something, though I do like his 1st Lvl defense oriented Fear that prevents people from hitting you by any means.

Are the Terrors (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/dread/dread-terrors) really all that great?
It seems like you get nothing until you get that nightmare form. Which feels odd that the whole class seems to build up to this Terror and the upgrades for it.

avr
2013-03-21, 10:51 PM
There's plenty for the dread to do in a fight providing you're not up against something immune to mind-affecting powers. If so the dread does look to have problems. Mindlock looks like a useful pre-nightmare form terror (can be gained at level 4) or there's other terrors which add damage or rider effects to your main attack.

The class does look to be limited outside combat tho'. One of the most restricted power/spell lists I've seen. At least it gets 6 skill points and a decent list.

Chained Birds
2013-03-21, 11:06 PM
There's plenty for the dread to do in a fight providing you're not up against something immune to mind-affecting powers. If so the dread does look to have problems.

Seems like the feat Penetrating Fear (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/penetrating-fear-psionic) takes care of the Mind-Effecting stuff, though it is not accessible to at least Lvl 10.

avr
2013-03-21, 11:29 PM
+4 to relevant saves and requires expending focus, and only on terrors not on powers? Quite a limited way around it. Almost bad enough to have the poor dread resorting to items or just slogging away in melee.

I wonder if it's supposed to be an NPC class primarily?

Novawurmson
2013-03-21, 11:37 PM
One of the playtesters here. It's a pretty decent class - focus on using terrors to debuff opponent and stay in an appropriate range. I'd recommend building them as you would an inquisitor.

Chained Birds
2013-03-22, 06:27 AM
One of the playtesters here. It's a pretty decent class - focus on using terrors to debuff opponent and stay in an appropriate range. I'd recommend building them as you would an inquisitor.

I guess that sounds about right due to their proficiencies and stats. Though the class seems pretty limiting until level 4 (Where you can get some decent Terrors).

Also, another question, does your Devistating Touch provoke AoO? And can it Crit on a nat 20?
Doesn't say it does or doesn't, so I assume it doesn't. Have no idea about the Crit stuff, as one of the Terrors does add extra damage to the Touch that doesn't get multiplied on a Crit, so that might be saying you can Crit with a regular Touch. Or it could be referring to when you channel you Touch through a Weapon...

subject42
2013-03-22, 09:31 AM
Seems like the feat Penetrating Fear (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/penetrating-fear-psionic) takes care of the Mind-Effecting stuff, though it is not accessible to at least Lvl 10.

Another alternative is to multiclass with Vitalist, then use unwilling participant to connect the target to the network, which bypasses mind-affecting effects.

Chained Birds
2013-03-22, 11:14 AM
Another alternative is to multiclass with Vitalist, then use unwilling participant to connect the target to the network, which bypasses mind-affecting effects.

Might be a bit too mad, and I'm not 100% sure how Multi-classing works with powers from other classes. Though could be an interesting character build.

RFLS
2013-03-22, 11:41 AM
Multi-classing works with powers from other classes

When you multiclass two psionic classes, there power lists and caster levels remain separate. Their power point pools are put together, drawing bonus PP from both casting stats. You use the separate caster levels of each class to determine your bonus PP.

stack
2013-03-22, 12:10 PM
Devasting touch is SU, so does not provoke unless otherwise stated. I believe it would crit on 20 x2.

The nightmare constructor is interesting as well, though you lose the nifty aura of fear that keeps you from having to deal with fear-immunes early on.

Chained Birds
2013-03-22, 01:32 PM
The nightmare constructor is interesting as well, though you lose the nifty aura of fear that keeps you from having to deal with fear-immunes early on.

I first saw it as a nifty Psionic version of the Summoner's Eidolon, but with the lack of the anti-immunity aura it makes things difficult. I guess if you take a few levels in Anti-Paladin and always hand next to the Nightmare, you might be able to make it work better.

Or use that Lvl 10 feat I brought up earlier. Though it does say "or" so if you find a creature that is immune to both, would that mean it doesn't work at all? That would suck.