PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ideas

Xalops
2013-03-21, 11:12 PM
Hey all,

I am trying to get some ideas for an android app I made. Currently I'm working on the section that generates a random deity, but I realized that I have only played 3.5 and a system called Imagine which didn't actually have a pantheon or any deities at all, they left that for you to come up with.

Well I know what types of things I might expect to know about a deity from 3.5: name, race, gender, domains, holy symbol, and known enemies.

I was wondering what other aspects are there for deities that I just don't know about or haven't thought of? Any help would be appreciated. :)

W3bDragon
2013-03-24, 01:12 AM
Alignment
Power level (lesser, greater, etc)
Status (Dead, disappeared, alive)
Time Ascended (If applicable)
Rivals
Allies
Major followers (If applicable)

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-24, 01:45 AM
What setting they're usually in. That's a relatively common source of confusion.

Xalops
2013-03-24, 04:19 PM
Alignment
Power level (lesser, greater, etc)
Status (Dead, disappeared, alive)
Time Ascended (If applicable)
Rivals
Allies
Major followers (If applicable)

I have Align and Power Level. Forgot to mention those.

I really like the status one and Time ascended, Ill have those display out in a little narrative about the deity I think. Major Followers and Allies are also great ideas. Thank you.

What setting they're usually in. That's a relatively common source of confusion.

What do you mean by what Setting? If you mean what environment setting they reside in, or what game system? If you mean GameSystem, then that wont be applicable. The point of this part of the app is to make a completely new Deity from scratch randomly. This way you could have a new Pantheon or Deity every campaign.

Fyrehauwk
2013-03-25, 04:35 AM
Mystara Gods bestowed some lesser ability to their followers. Like create flame or water for a god of the corresponding element. It was always some very minor cantrip or skill boost for a few uses per day. So I guess what, if anything, the god bestows is something that can be added to your list?

Lorsa
2013-03-25, 05:08 AM
You're forgetting portfolio? That's a fairly important part. Could also include a description of a generic temple and how the clerics are supposed to look / act.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-25, 07:25 AM
What do you mean by what Setting? If you mean what environment setting they reside in, or what game system? If you mean GameSystem, then that wont be applicable. The point of this part of the app is to make a completely new Deity from scratch randomly. This way you could have a new Pantheon or Deity every campaign.

Oh, sorry, I totally misunderstood what you were making here :smalltongue: I thought it was something similar to the Monster Finder or something... like searching for a "Greater Deity of Fire" or something. Your idea seems much more interesting than that.

That said, almost everything really interesting has already been mentioned. You mentioned Domains and Alignment, so I suppose this is D&D? Depending on how detailed you want to make the system, Divine Rank and the Divine Powers gained from therein would be interesting, but you would probably need to tie the Powers into the deity's Domain and Portfolio somehow or you'd run into really weird combinations. Yeah, Divine Powers are probably unnecessarily complicated to incorporate, but Divine Rank should be relatively simple.