PDA

View Full Version : E6 variant on learning spells

Yogibear41
2013-03-21, 11:43 PM
So after hearing some of the talk about the good ole days in first edition and stuff from my DM, I got the idea for a variant rule for gaining spells I thought about incroporating into some E6 ideas for a game I might run one day. Basically my DM told me how in 1st edition you didn't just learn spells as you leveled up you had to either find them or make them/ research them, and I think that honestly makes alot more sense than just magically knowing more spells after leveling up.

So the idea that I came up with would be that all classes will be spontaneous casters, and that they will start the game knowing the same number of spells as a sorcerer does ( for druids and clerics I will have them know summon natures ally, and cure/inflict light wounds for free without counting against these spells known)

As they level up they will gain spell slots as normal, but will not gain new spells known (with the exception of druids and clerics learning cure/inflict spells and summon natures ally) (this along with their special abilities should hopefully balance them vs favored souls and spirit shamans as they get more spells per day)

Spells will instead be learned by finding them as treasure (think an ancient spell book, or draconic glyphs inscribed on a wall some-where)

Now this may seem kind of harsh at the beginning, but in the long run a caster will have the ability to learn a much higher number of spells, and I think it will also serve as a way to make casters really seek out special tidbits of information and such.

What does the playground think of this?

(on a side note I plan to have no wizards in this campaign for role playing reasons, but sorcerers will be fine to play as)

andromax
2013-03-22, 12:36 AM
The system is there because, mechanically it works. It's up to you to roleplay how exactly your powers come into being, whether it be via research, purchase or looting.. the idea is that while you're adventuring, gaining experience.. you are also working towards your future endowments.

"Magically" gaining spells is not more out there than suddenly gaining a bunch of hit points, base attack bonus, saves, class features etc. If you want to start divying that stuff out as loot then you should probably look at a different system.

It's not that I don't think you should have to find/buy wizard spells etc, but doing to that spontaneous casters is just kinda... wrong.