PDA

View Full Version : The Ritual

thedarkstone
2013-03-22, 12:08 AM
The town of Allesburough was a moderately sized town, built primarily as a crossroads town, to facilitate trade between the Rigian Desert to the north and the Jungles of Hadaam to the south. The people there were a mixed lot; almost all races could be found in the bazaar, even the most (you guessed it) bizarre.

The town itself stood on a hill overlooking the Rigian Desert's southernmost end; the hill was large enough that one could even see the barest edge of the jungle if you looked hard enough. The buildings, built of trees cut from Hadaam, were warm, cozy little structures for the most part. The only exception were two buildings: the town hall, which was a menacing sandstone structure, and the jail, which was made of a bland granite, a grey stone building reminiscent of a mausoleum.

Eight travelers found their way here for different reasons and of different methods. Caithe found herself in a town where she was not looked at twice for being a lamia, where she was not the only one who was different, where she was not out of place. Thamon found a town through which many travelers passed, a town where there were all sorts; a likely place to find candidates capable of magery or psionics, or, at the very least, a place to find out where such could be found. Saito found himself in a crossroads town, the first stop in his journey, a place to forge his path from, where he follow his calling. Korlac found a place just outside of the desert, a town that lay quite near the region he had wandered for so long. Blake and Szaren both found a place where magical oddities were not unheard of; the former might dare to find a teacher, or directions to somewhere where he could learn more, while the latter would not be seen as amiss, in a place he could use to forward his agenda. Aden found himself at the end of a smaller journey, thanked and paid by a caravan who had their burden lightened by his music. Merida found herself transported to this town magically, sent here to track down an escaping prisoner and inform her superiors when the being was found.

All had a reason for being in this moderate town. None were looked at twice by the populace; no odd gazes were given, no threats, no refusals to serve any of them. And so, for a variety of reasons, all eight of them found themselves in this town, making their way through the bazaar...

chrisrawr
2013-03-22, 01:03 AM
OOC:Korlac uses Detect Magic, which leads him to Merida quite quickly. From there, well...

ALSO, FIRST!

A being sifts through the street in shuffle-step, obvious signs of a desert dweller surrounding him. You'd say he was a beggar by his clothes, had you not noticed the shiny glint of steel at his side and on his back - peeking through tattered rags and dust-ground patches.

His eyes twitch at each movement, and he occasionally freezes, as if hearing something. Twice, he bats away the hands of pickpockets, a flashing arc of electricity showing the telltale signs of magecraft.

Still, his wanderings do not seem aimless - with each shuffling halt, he orients anew, moving towards some unseen destination. At last, he spots it - the source of his discomfort. He gives a shout - coarse and dry, parched like the desert - and its gravelly tones offend a disoriented-looking figure. "YOUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuu," he points a shaking, bony finger. "Youusmellofit!"

With an awkward, off-tempo hustle, Korlac shifts over to the figure. "But nnnnnnot? DORMRU IS WHAT TO YOU?" The increasingly erratic figure looks around, and relaxes slightly. A semblance of sanity enters his eyes, which had been quite dull before. "Shh, do not speak its name, I suppose. I am Korlac, come, come - you must be following it too, to have its taint so near. I can taste it, you know?"

-Jynx-
2013-03-22, 08:39 AM
Caithe slithers through the crowd with an unnerving grace about her. "Ssssssssso many warm bloods" she thinks to herself glancing at every race that passes by. Tapestries, assortments of goods, bizarre foods, and anything that simply looked shiny caught Caithe's eye as she made her way to each stand examining trinkets she had never seen before. She found herself perplexed and overwhelmed at how different this place was yet she was very cautious of her surroundings due to her previous 'incident'... she would not let her curiosity get the best of her again.

zzuxon
2013-03-22, 11:27 AM
Thamon walked through the Allesburough bazaar.
This is a great town. Look at all this variety of people and items for sale. Truly a microcosm of the continent. thought Byron, who was currently controlling the body. If he had had lips, he would've smiled. I agree, but we must remember our mission here. responded Staven. Of course, but look at all the people, how will we find Arcanists and psionicists?. I have an idea. thought Ookan.
Let me take over.. Neither Byron nor Staven objected to this. Thamon closed his eyes, and beside his head, a glowing blue orb and glowing blue tetrahedron appearing beside it. The orb moved towards the head as a glowing blue cube exited it. Thamon gasped, then calmed, and looked around, and found what he was looking for, an unoccupied pedestal in the bazaar. After some maneuvering, he made his way onto the pedestal. Then he focused, letting his psionic power flow from his mind and into the air. The energy caressed the compression waves that made up the markets considerable noise.
{OOC: Thamon manifests the control sound power to greatly amplify his voice, drowning out the ambient noise. His PP count is now 25.}
"Hello! I'm sorry to bother you, but would any Arcane spellcasters or psionicists in the crowd willing to spare some time please come and talk to me? I have an offer to make you, if you're willing. That is all." The crowd, havbing mostly paused to listen, more by the commanding volume of Thamon's voice then anything, resumed it's activity.
Dang, that was psionically taxing, considering it's just making noise louder. But, it was probably effective. Let's see. thought Staven.
And see they did.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-22, 01:49 PM
The town square was suddenly brightly lit, a pillar of brilliant golden light forming near the town hall. The pillar hung there, shedding light for a few long moments, before, suddenly, a heavily armored leg stepped through, followed by a hulking three-headed figure. Gleaming silver plate covered the figure from head to toe, concealing her body. In one hand, she carried a huge hammer with a spiked point opposite the blunt head. In the other, a massive, rectangular shield, large enough for a man to stand behind and be completely concealed. Her lupine heads were guarded by metallic helmets, clearly designed for heads such as hers. Golden eyes peered out through the eye-holes of the helmets.

The three heads looked this way and that as the golden pillar of light dissipated, surveying their new surroundings. What a strange place! Where were the walls? There were all these people walking around without any weapons at all, too. She had a lot to get used to, it seemed. But she had a job to do, and no time to waste gawking. She slipped her hammer into a loop on her hip and hooked the massive shield to a pair of hooks on the back of her breastplate. Where to go first?

The question seemed to be answered for her when the strange, bony beggar-man came up to her, frantically accusing her of something. she was about to dismiss him as a crazy person, but then he said the name. Her eyes widened, then she suddenly reached down, gripping the bony man by both shoulders. The head on the right shoulder snarled out "How do you know that name?!" She demanded. "Wait, wait. Let's just keep calm." The central head said, loosening their grip on the stranger and going down to one knee to put them all on eye level. "Mister Korlac, it's very important that you tell us everything you know about... the creature with that name." She said. The right head rolled her eyes.

TheDireWolf
2013-03-22, 05:01 PM
Blake stepped up to Thamon. He wore a grey cloak, with the hood pulled up over his face. A container of crossbow bolts was strapped to his leg, and a dagger was sheathed on his belt. "Excuse me, but you mentioned that you were looking for Arcane spellcasters." He said. "I am one. What offer, exactly, are you making?"

chrisrawr
2013-03-22, 05:10 PM
"Yes yes talk, follow come - many questions to be asked and answered, light one." He grasps your hand and begins to lead you in shuffling gait, retracing his footsteps from before. "Best not speak names now, light one, there is a taint from his passing. Many eyes that one has, many ears."

It is unpleasant to be near to Korlac, as if grime is coating your skin. As you worked your way deeper into the bazaar, the wanderer reassures you - "Not much further, the owner of a tavern owes me... favours, for services rendered. We can talk there, if you've a way to shield us from those who might pry - try as I might, my magics seem to favour other tracks."

Of course, if Korlac attempted to erect any sort of arcane barrier, it would end in fire.

zzuxon
2013-03-22, 05:34 PM
Thamon turned to Blake."Ah! Excellent. Hello, My name is Thamon Vex. I work for a town called Inspiration. Inspiration was founded with an express goal in mind. It is a town built on Arcane and psionic power, and it is almost entirely inhabited with arcanists and psionicists, like myself. It is a place where you can research, meet like minded people, and hone your talents! We are always looking for new residents, or even just visitors, so as to increase our experience and knowledge. That is my job, to find arcane spellcasters and psionicists, and spread the word about Inspiration. On another note, what's your name?"

TheDireWolf
2013-03-22, 05:43 PM
"My name is Blake. I apologize, but I don't give out my surname. To anyone. Now, this town sounds like a place I'd most definitely like to go. Where is it located?" He asked.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-22, 06:41 PM
The massive wolf-woman follows the strange, hobbling man, despite the unpleasant sensation his presence caused in her fur. He was, after all, the best lead she had, the only lead she had. Still, his presence was... unsettling. As she walked along behind him, she kept a careful eye out, heads swiveling to survey her surroundings. She might well be walking into an ambush, after all.

The way this man talked about Dormu, he clearly had some personal experience with the demon. She nodded as he mentioned a tavern suitable for such a meeting. "I don't have any magic. I'm a warrior, pure and simple. That trip was thanks to one of the fortress' casters."

-Jynx-
2013-03-22, 07:50 PM
As Caithe wandered the bazaar two people in particular caught her eye. A dog with three heads and a strangely unsettling older man. Her eyes watch as she snakes her way through the crowd stalking the two at a distance. "They look interessssssting" she muttered to herself.

chrisrawr
2013-03-22, 07:59 PM
A scholarly look rests upon the man like a mantle, as he rubs his chin in thought. "Hmmm, not touched then, light one - a close brush maybe? No matter, we will write, then."

Korlac veers off suddenly, back toward a merchant stall with stationary. "INK!" he croaks, his face contorting horridly as a grimace of pain and concentration dominates his features. "PENS AND INK!" His hand curls upward into a claw, but nothing happens - surprising both Korlac, and the cringing merchant. "Err..." With a sudden movement, he throws a scattering of gold and silver coin at the vendor's face, and dashes off with an armful of supplies in the distraction. "COME! WE'LL LOSE THE TRAIL IF WE TARRY!"

zzuxon
2013-03-22, 08:40 PM
Excellent! I can tell you where it is. If I find anyone else interested, I would be willing to lead you there. Heck, I'd lead you there if it was only you. If you'd prefer to go yourself, I also have written instructions. Whatever you wish. Thamon reaches into his handy haversack and grabs a written instruction, in case this Blake character wants it.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-22, 10:26 PM
The looming cerberan followed close, trying not to lose the erratic trail of the strange, somewhat disturbed man. She could only hope that his information was worth dealing with all this... strangeness. When he screamed at the shopkeep, hurled coins at him, and ran off with an armful of ink and parchment, she looked helplessly at the befuddled shopkeep. "Sorry!" The head on the left shoulder called back apologetically as she ran after the bolting figure, her heavy armor clanking with each long stride.

Destiny reached
2013-03-22, 10:50 PM
Szaren does not make such a grandiose entrance as the other beings of the bazaar do. He merely makes his way through the crowd, shielding his skin from the son's seemingly eternal glare. He wonders Allesburough, not only in search of a teacher or companion who might help deepen his understanding of magic, but also in hope of finding a respectable place in society.
At the sound of a loud, firm voice over the babbling and murmuring of many others, Szaren swivels around to see a short, stout carid (though this is the first time he has laid eyes on a member of the race in person, he recognizes the figure's physical makeup from the diagrams he has encountered in several of his books) standing atop a pedestal. Intrigued by the speaker's words, he approaches, a curious look on his slightly deformed profile. Upon hearing the carid announce that it is in need of spellcasters, Szaren steps forward, saying, "I am an arcanist."

chrisrawr
2013-03-22, 11:53 PM
OOC:If you feel like I'm taking too much of the spotlight or whatever, feel free to slow it down on me - I'm just a big fan of action-reaction style roleplay.

You stop well away from the trade city, Korlac panting for breath - his bare, calloused feet slightly bloodied from the rough ground, despite their leathering. "Here is good. Good good, here - can you smell it? TASTE it?" He babbles and occasionally cackles, his head snapping back in laughter, as he begins writing.

'It can't read normal writing, not enough blood in the ink, not enough fear in the words. Even so, Dormru will see us if we stay too long, do not stand still lest his fingers close~' the ink slashes across the paper horizontally as Korlac pivots on his hands, walking his legs and lower body around the paper to a new position. '~I've been dancing close to him for weeks, back and forth like the maw of an owlbear. Just out of reach, or he'll snap me up again - Dormru is here! Dormru the vile, Dormru betrayer of faith!'

With that, he tears up the paper, leaping to his feet to throw the confetti to the wind, where it catches alight at his motioning. He sits anew, and begins another script, 'Only one thing for it, but I've lost the book, I've lost my powers, I've lost my followers and my elders - but you... you smell light. Tell me about your light, traveler? It burns against this one'

When you finish reading, the papers once again catch fire. After a second's thought, so does the ink, and the pen. "Come come! Mustn't stay close, his putridity shifts back and forth like a birthing mare, care to not be trampled, care to quicken the birth!" He darts back toward the bazaar, answering your questions as best he can and listening with a disturbing intensity as you speak. He stops briefly to stare at a debacle in the square, torn between directions as if his pathway had grown a fork where none lay before.

-Jynx-
2013-03-23, 07:53 AM
Caithe lingers in the shadows, her emerald eyes fixated on what she only assumes to be a deranged man and the three headed dog. Her eyes widen in intrigue when the paper and pen catch fire and continues to follow them through the bazaar at a safe distance.

zzuxon
2013-03-23, 10:31 AM
As Thamon awaited the Human Blake's response, he turned and saw a Drow.
Ah, you too are an arcanist. Well, considering your proximity, I believe you heard what I said to This fellow. Thamon gestured towards Blake. If I am incorrect, correct me.

Destiny reached
2013-03-23, 12:19 PM
I did hear. This 'Inspiration' you speak of...where is it located? Are there any learned scholars who might be willing to teach? If 'yes' is the answer, I am, indeed, willing to follow you in your travels.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-23, 12:22 PM
She followed the man, watching with some skepticism as he settled down and began to cackle madly as he wrote. She read quickly, a bit surprised when the crazy man ripped the paper up, which then lit itself on fire. Again, he wrote, the words of a madman, before once again lighting the paper on fire. She was beginning to doubt how much use this man was going to be. He was her only lead thus far, and she didn't want to lose him, but surely somebody a bit more coherent would show up if she went looking?

She ran after him as they bolted back to the bazaar. She had questions aplenty. Many of them were new phrasings of the question 'why am I stuck with a crazy source?', but she kept those inside. "So, how do you know the name?" "Yeah, and what did you mean 'dancing close'? Are you working with him?" "Don't be silly, if he was working for him, he'd have attacked by now. What did you mean 'he's here'? Is he in this city?" "If he was in the city, we'd know. Look, I'm on a mission to track down... that being. I have to find him as soon as possible. If you know where I can find him, I need you to tell me." "Yeah, and no doubletalk or cryptic crap, just a location." "Pretty please, mister?" she said, the three heads taking turns speaking, sometimes contradicting each other, but always driving toward the same point. Where was Dormru?

The came to the square and her target stopped abruptly. She looked up, seeing the... truly bizarre creature that was gathering a small crowd. What was going on there? No matter, she had a mission. Stay focused.

zzuxon
2013-03-23, 06:22 PM
Does Inspiration have scholars? Hah! Inspiration is inundated with scholars. Virtually everyone who lives their is a scholar, to a greater or lesser degree. There are of course those who are especially scholarly. I'm sure there are many looking for pupils.

Destiny reached
2013-03-23, 07:19 PM
Then I will join your troupe. When do you plan on taking leave?

chrisrawr
2013-03-23, 08:27 PM
"Deceit and lies! They tricked me, all of them - but I made them pay! I had my day, and the cost!" Korlac coughed loudly in the square. He'd stopped for a while, to rant and listen to questions and hear out the speaker there. "Those who would have used me - used my flock - for their own gain! Pah! IT would not be used, IT came like a dark wind - like a torrent of fetid water I tried to hold back with my hands. In the end, it was all I could do to stay afloat, and now look at me!"

He rasped, drawing in breath, and screamed to the heavens, buckling to his knees with fists held high - "LOOK AT ME!" - The attention of a few locals shifts, but he ignores their stares. Korlac collapses, allowing himself to pile to the beaten ground in a heap of limbs.

From the ground, he mumbles, "He draws close to the surface, his taint bubbling before and behind - yea, though I am bound to him, there is no love lost 'tween us. A location? His glare would melt the flesh from your bones, his breath a miasma to all that lives. IT wanders the desert, feasting on the heat and barren waste, and twisted creatures join IT as IT calls to them."

zzuxon
2013-03-23, 09:17 PM
That I honestly do not know. I'll see if I find anymore recruits, then decide.

Regalus
2013-03-23, 09:57 PM
Aden breathed a content sigh after parting ways with his companions; they were good people and he wished them only the best in their coming travels. Now he found himself in a new glorious place; the town of Allesburough, was less a town and more a nexus in these sun touched lands. The young traveler merrily walked through the town, taking in the sights and basking in the towns warm glow; peering curiously across stalls and into shops alike, and taking the chance to ask about recommended Inns. Exotic sights and scents filling his every sense, further fueling his euphoria. He had no doubt that in a place this grand he was sure to find the next step of his pilgrimage, or atleast enjoy himself trying.

It was roughly an hour into his wanderings that he heard some commotion about some sort of golden beam somewhere in the city, but alas he seemed to arrive too late to witness anything of note. In truth, Aden was getting ready to hunt down a good in when he heard what sounded to him as an anguished cry and sped towards its sourced; spotting a harrowed man, in the worse condition he'd seen in his travels, collapsed on the ground.

Aden tried to ignore the knot in his stomach, formed by the sight of so many passersbys simply attempting to ignore the poor man, and approuched the man who had now earned his full undivided attention. "Sir! Are you alright?!" inquired the worried young man out of instinct, as he lowered himself next to the fallen man to check on him.

Destiny reached
2013-03-24, 12:38 AM
Szaren hears a cry of what appears to be pain. He turns and spots a beaten, beggar-like man writhing on the ground, shouting close to nonsensical words and phrases at seemingly no one in particular. When Szaren picks up the utterance 'He draws close to the surface, his taint bubbling before and behind', he almost entirely loses focus of his newly gained companions to the figure in the dirt. However, he regains just enough control of his thoughts to turn to Thamon and Blake and say, "Let's see what's afoot."

zzuxon
2013-03-24, 10:44 AM
Thamon looked towards what the Drow was referring to, and immediately saw the man.
Oh dear. Is that guy OK? Thamon moved to the edge of his pedestal closest to the man, in order to get a better look. The man appeared to be yelling about some sort of death-bringing evil entity. From the description, Thamon hoped the man was simply mad.

TheDireWolf
2013-03-24, 11:21 AM
"Woah there! Calm down!" Blake muttered a few words, and his eyes glowed slightly. He looked down at Korlac, using the spell he had cast on himself to see if the problem was magical.

Basically, I just cast Detect Magic. Just cause. Also, fun fact, I can use cantrips as many times as I want. They take nothing for me to cast. :D

-Jynx-
2013-03-24, 12:09 PM
Caithes eyes narrow on the drow. What kind of warm blood isssss that? she wonders to herself, remembering faint distinctions of an elf but different enough to distinguish a clear difference. Letssssss find out...

"Why hello there dark one, you look worn from your travelsss... Perhapsss you'd like to come rest?" Resonated a voice in Szaren's head "Come, follow towardsss the edge of town and I will look after you" said the eerily soothing voice of Caithe.

Charm Hex (DC Will 16)
Message Cantrip (DC 25 Perception for those around Szaren to hear)

Don't be alarmed, Caithe is a bit socially awkward and this is her way of playfully learning :smalltongue:

Destiny reached
2013-03-24, 01:49 PM
Is there an online dice roller we should use? I have spell resistance (11 + CL), so I guess you need to roll for that...Either way, I rolled and failed my will save by 1 :P

chrisrawr
2013-03-24, 03:17 PM
OOC: I find it easier to make auxiliary and extra rolls in the OOC thread, if that helps! You can also make a thread in the Dice Rolling subsection, and link to it in the OOC thread.

Korlac crawls to his feet, spinning dizziliy - "NNnnno! I'm not alright! All of you stay back! Away!" Fire appears in his hands, along his arms, burning through his tattered rags in places - explaining many of the singe marks.

"Not today, no more death today, IT can tell when I've been killing," he mutters to himself. The fires die out. To Merida, he adds, "You seek your death in the wastes to the North, girl. Settle down and raise a litter, and have your seventh pup raise one as well. If his seventh pup survives the womb, do not spurn him as I was spurned - there's a magic in the lineage, if he has an aptitude for it. Maybe that will be enough to banish IT." And if not, at least I won't be alive for the destruction that's wrought!

Sanity fades from his eyes, and he looks nervously towards the desert, as if he could see through the buildings and miles to where IT lay.

Destiny reached
2013-03-24, 06:46 PM
I'll just assume Szaren doesn't resist the spell.

When Szaren hears the soothing voice in his head, he feels a deep urge to follow its lead. He searches the vicinity for the source of the beckoning. A tall, snake-like, female figure almost immediately catches his eye, and he, seemingly instinctually, knows that she is the origin of the call. The creature sneaks away and disappears into the crowd. Szaren follows.

-Jynx-
2013-03-24, 08:24 PM
I'ts a hex so it isn't affected by spell resistance :smallredface:

Caithe moves through the city weaving around passer-bys until she reaches the edge of town and awaits the drow's arrival. "Welcome, I am Caithe and who... and what are you?" she said slowly wrapping herself around his body as she stares him dead in the eyes.

Assurau
2013-03-24, 08:42 PM
OOCSorry for the delay. Took a lot longer than what i had planned to fix my pc.

It had been close to two weeks since Saito had come across the merchant's caravan. Having intervened when the caravan was attacked by bandits, he had managed to score a ride to where he would start his grand journey. His uncle Takeru had suggested he started out in Allesburough, since it was a crossroads town. He had dremnt of the new sights, sounds and people he would see once they reached the town.

Now having finally reached the town, Saito adjusted vestment into something more suitable for the dry climate of the region. Bidding goodbye to the merchant, he headed towards the town square. Hoping that he would arrive in time to hear the news from the town crier, the lad weaved his way through towards the square.

Destiny reached
2013-03-24, 09:57 PM
Oh, cool!

Szaren is caught off guard by Caithe's greeting. The charm's effect still has complete control over him, though, and he readily reveals his information. My name is Szaren Y'tre. I am a drow, and I have come to this city in search of someone who can guide me in my quest for knowledge of magic. Might I ask what title has been given to you? He returns the woman's deep stare.

-Jynx-
2013-03-24, 10:28 PM
An audibly different hiss fills Szaren's ears:
Hex: Cackle to keep the charm going

"A drow you sssssay? I've never seen one before... it's a pleasure to meet you Ssszaren" Caithe giggles for a moment "I've gone by many namesss and titles, but lets not talk about that" she says spinning around Szaren making note of his differences from past races she's encountered, for a moment flicking her tongue out as if to 'taste' his presence. "Ssso you're a magic user then? I am too, in fact. Perhapsss you'd like company on your quessst? I find magic to be absolutely fasssscinating and I'd love to learn more. Esssspecially in the company of ssssuch a... capable gentlemen."

zzuxon
2013-03-25, 11:48 AM
Hmm. Poor guy. Said Thamon, referring to the scruffy crazy human. He looked around, and realized that the Drow had gone missing! He decided to look for him.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-25, 07:34 PM
As the crazy man fell to a heap in the public square, she went down to a knee, trying to pick the useful bits of the gibbering he spouted. It was a challenge, she had to admit. Then her ears twitched as she heard those magic words. 'the desert'. Then he rose and confirmed it, albeit he did so in the middle of telling her to go out and have a litter of kids for some reason.

She rose to her armored feet, eyes looking northward. "The desert?" "Alright, finally!" The central head said, followed by the right head, an eager grin on her lips baring her sharp teeth. The left head shook softly. "But we don't have any desert equipment..." She muttered, sounding unsure. The central head looked down at the crazy man. "I have to go after the creature, even if it kills me. Your experience with the being could be useful. If you want to come with me, you would be welcome."

Destiny reached
2013-03-25, 07:51 PM
Szaren notices an unusually stirring feeling in his gut. Surprised by Caithe's alluring, bewitching words, he manages to say, "Your company would be received with utmost pleasure. I am currently on a quest to the land of Inspiration, and I'm sure my traveling party would welcome and appreciate your presence. The companionship of a fellow sorcerer, especially one of your essence, would be stellar."

TheDireWolf
2013-03-25, 08:14 PM
Blake had simply been listening to the two babble on about litters, and magic, and the desert. "Oh, no you don't." He said. "You're going to tell me what's going on here."

-Jynx-
2013-03-25, 08:18 PM
Caithe grins at Szarens words and with a flick of her tounge she replies "That sounds lovely, would you lead the way then to your friends?" Perhaps I'll soon be able to reclaim my swamp... She thought to herself as she unwraps herself from Szaren and awaits his lead, a beaming smile on her face.

chrisrawr
2013-03-25, 08:24 PM
"Kills you? Why, yes, IT will most likely kill everyone here. I've stayed too long, of course. This always happens. Always happens..."

Korlac's feet follow his gaze north. "If we run now, we might escape. Run away, run away, run away," he muses whimsically, never faltering in his awkward pace. "Or IT might just ignore us, this far out of the desert. IT's power is weak in the cool damp." A manic idea comes to him, his eyes literally ignite as animation dances across his features, awkward shambles replaced with, for a while at least, graceful movements, swift and sure.

"MAGIC MAN!" he pushes back through the crowd, stepping on, or between people to make his way, "MAGIC MAN BRING YOUR MAGIC, WE'LL DROWN HIM BEFORE HE BURNS US! A GLORIOUS EXPIDITION MAGIC MAN, YOUR DESIRE FOR SECRETS AND FOLLOWERS, FAME AND GLORY ALL QUENCHED FOR YEARS TO COME!"

Of course, Korlac had been listening to the commotion in the square, before the people and the noise and the questions aroused his anger. Usually, the events of the outside world meant little to him, but in a moment of clarity, a plan came together... and the chance of a lifetime, for him - the chance to be free.

"Girl, the death you so desire awaits you! Magic man, discovery awaits you! TO KILL A DEMON! HAHAHA!" And with that, he's off in a run to the north, to the desert wastes. He scrabbles through the crowd, stumbles often - using hands and shoulders, rolling to keep his momentum. Rusty scales drop from his armour as he bumps into various people and objects, and he shouts back towards you, "COME! TO KILL A DEMON, TO DROWN A DESERT! BRING YOUR MAGIC, MAGIC MAN! BRING YOUR STEEL, CRAZY LADY! WE'LL NEED BOTH AND MORE! Both and more!"

TheDireWolf
2013-03-25, 08:40 PM
"HEY!" He shouted. "COME BACK HERE!" He sent a bolt of electricity at Korlac's back.

Destiny reached
2013-03-25, 09:37 PM
"Come." Szaren led the witch back to his group. "This is Caithe," he announced, once he had found the party. "She wishes to aid us in our quest, and I believe she is more than capable of doing so."

-Jynx-
2013-03-25, 10:07 PM
"Greetingssss" she says with a snakely bow "It'ssss a pleasure to meet you" she said, her emerald green eyes locking with each person as her charm hex slowly begins to weaken until it dissipates completely.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-25, 10:08 PM
The hulking wolf-girl looked after the fleeing shape of Korlac for a moment. she was torn in three directions. Her middle head wanted to stay in town, buy some proper supplies for traveling into the desert. The left head wanted to stay in town and make more friends before going to the desert. The right head wanted to rush after him and head right to the mouth of the beast.

She looked over the rest of the strangers for a moment, shrugged, and started after him, her heavy armor clanking as she ran after him with long strides, plate flashing in the sunlight.

chrisrawr
2013-03-26, 12:21 AM
Korlac nimbly dodges the bastardized, inferior magic of magic man. "No magic man, YOU come back HERE! And bring WATER!"

TheDireWolf
2013-03-26, 08:49 AM
He sighed. "I have nothing better to do." He ran off after Korlac, nabbing a bucket filled with water out of one of the passerby's hands, and giving him a few silver pieces. "Sorry." He then continued to run off after Korlac, as the man stared at him, bewildered.

zzuxon
2013-03-26, 10:19 AM
Excellent! Hello Caithe. I am Thamon Vex, a psion. That is Blake, he's an arcanist. Speaking of names, I never got the name of you. Thamon Pointed at the Drow.

Assurau
2013-03-26, 12:16 PM
Saito rushed through the street, weaving through stall and people. At some point,he got turned arround, but no he was finally back on track. As he sped through the narrow alleyway, he hoped that he was still on time. As he exited the passage, he failed to notice the boney-looking man, which had just avoided a bolt of lightning. Unable to twist his body, Saito crashed onto the boney man.

Destiny reached
2013-03-26, 12:30 PM
"My name is Szaren Y'tre," Szaren states, reverting to his normal, melancholic self.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-26, 12:47 PM
As the strange man slammed into the bony figure and sent both of them toppling, the tall, three-headed warrior woman put on a burst of speed. Her armor clanked as she leaned down, grabbing the bony man by his shirt and lifting him to his feet. "Now hold it!" the right head growled. "Look, I'm eager to hunt... IT. But I'm not prepared to head into the sands." the middle head said. "Maybe we could leave tomorrow and spend the day preparing? I bet all the nice people would appreciate a proper explanation. The left head proposed, one hand gesturing back to the people behind them.

thedarkstone
2013-03-26, 01:23 PM
"Yes, an explanation would seem to be in order," a stern voice spoke just then, seeming to resonate with the force of authority. The owner of the voice was a rather tall fire giant, who just so happened to be wearing clothing that denoted him as a sheriff.

As his lesser officers rounded up everyone involved (even in the slightest; this included the whole party and several random people completely unrelated but nearby), he said, "Now, you'll all be coming back to the station with me, so I can figure out exactly what happened here."

TheDireWolf
2013-03-26, 01:55 PM
"Umm... What do you mean, exactly? I don't think anything illegal happened."

thedarkstone
2013-03-26, 01:56 PM
The giant just sighed. "We've received several complaints about a disturbance. I'm just trying to do my job here."

TheDireWolf
2013-03-26, 02:14 PM
Blake winced. "Oh."

Admiral Squish
2013-03-26, 02:31 PM
Merida looked up at the fire giant for a moment, and slowly set down the bony man, but kept a hand on him to keep him from running off somewhere as he seemed prone to do. She straightened up to attention, raising a fist to place it over her heart in the cerberan version of a salute, before dropping it and returning to attention. "Yes sir, I will be glad to give a full report of my understanding of this situation." she explained.

Assurau
2013-03-26, 02:50 PM
Standing up, Saito dusted himself up.

"Sorry. Are you okay,sir?", he asked to the boney man. Only then did he realize that a three-headed wolf person thing was grabbing the man by his shirt.

Fortunately, the local law enforcement had just arrived.

"Um... I'm not involved in any of this. I was just trying to make my way to the town square, when i crashed into this guy.", said Saito as he pointed to the boney man.

zzuxon
2013-03-26, 03:55 PM
Thamon turned to Szaren, Blake, and Caithe.
Well, it appears our trip will be slightly delayed. I assure you, it isn't a major problem. Thamon turned to the officer of the law apprehending him. If there is anything that I could do that would be cooperative, please tell me.

chrisrawr
2013-03-26, 06:56 PM
"UNHAND GO YOU HAM-HANDED, FILTHY, FLEA-BITTEN MONGREL! I NEED THAT HAND TO PULL THE LIFE OUT OF THIS VERMIN!" Korlac strains against the female warrior's superior strength to no avail, clawing desperately at the poor sap who had the misfortune of blundering into him. Veins bulge around his eyes in his exertions, as if he could stare daggers into the man's face. Which he probably good, if he wasn't occupied.

"The only disturbance here is this wretch blundering into me! MAGIC MAN! GET THAT WATER TO THE DESERT! THERE'S LITTLE TIME!" Of course, unable to follow his own advice, he did look a little silly.

-Jynx-
2013-03-26, 07:51 PM
Caithe reluctantly slinks back I'll not be restrained by warm bloods... she hissed under her breath "Ssssir with all due ressspect I don't even know thissss lot, and if I'm not being detained for breaking the law I'd rather carry on" she said in a calm yet soothing voice.

Destiny reached
2013-03-26, 09:43 PM
Szaren looks on, slightly amused by the discussion, but at his guard against maliciously-intended surprises.

Assurau
2013-03-26, 11:06 PM
" Who are you calling a wretch? It was an honest accident. No need to call me names.", said Saito a bit miffed at the sudden rudeness.

thedarkstone
2013-03-27, 01:59 PM
The giant sheriff looked to Merida first. "Thank you for cooperating, ma'am. Makes my job a hell of a lot easier." Looking over at Saito next, the fire giant shook his head. "Doesn't quite matter one way or the other, I have to question everyone the same, back at the station."

To Thamon, he said, "Just tell me, or whichever of the force asks you, when we get back at the station." Turning then to Korlac, the giant placed a hand on his rather large club, conveniently belted to his side. "I would appreciate it if you would calm down, sir." Briefly glancing at Caithe, he said, "I apologize, ma'am. It's just procedure." He then returned his gaze to Korlac. "Now, if we could all-"

Suddenly, the entire region blacked out. "What the-" the giant said suddenly, cut off by the sound of a loud thud, grunt, and soft thud. One of the officers, or a civilian, was downed by something. After two more thuds, the darkness lifted and, atop buildings to either side, there stood two black cloaked figures, one larger than the other.

"Terribly sorry," the smaller one said with a high male voice, the words dripping with sarcasm. The larger laughed, his voice a resonant baritone. "Yeah, so sorry. We're just here for the man." The smaller pointed to Korlac at this, and began to say something only to be cut off by a bolt sinking into his shoulder.

"Oww!" He yelled. "That hurt! Buer!" The large man grunted, dropped down, and the cloak flew away, revealing a humanoid form, twisted into some semblance of a demon. "I've got it, Furfur," he said, flexing sharp claws.

The law enforcement interposed themselves between the intruders and the gathered townsfolk. The sheriff yelled, "Get to safety; we'll have time to find out what happened later!" He then drew his club and charged Buer.

chrisrawr
2013-03-27, 02:45 PM
I'm assuming I have some glimmering as to who they are, but Knowledge: Religion,[roll0] Arcana - [roll1]

Korlac dropped into a defensive posture, stunned for a moment - before heat is ripped from the area, coalescing into flame around him. The temperature continues to drop, focused on the two newcomers - snow appears, then sleet and hail - coalescing into icy lumps that repeatedly pelt the two.

"MAGIC MAN! THROW THE WATER! THROW YOUR SPELLS! SAAAVEMEEE!"

TheDireWolf
2013-03-27, 04:47 PM
Blake threw the water in the bucket on the demon-like creatures.

-Jynx-
2013-03-27, 05:41 PM
Caithes voice deepens and echos demonically in Buer's ears "Vomit" she says, her tongue flicking out for a moment before she begins to giggle to herself.

Spell level 1: Command (I'm unsure if you're binding me to the "Drop Approach, Fall, Flee, Halt" words. If so I'll change it.

zzuxon
2013-03-27, 07:29 PM
A confrontation was very likely, if not inevitable. Little discussion was needed, the tetrahedron entered the head as the sphere exited.
Staven, take the helm.
Certainly. Analysis?
The adversaries appear to be at least partially influenced by evil outsiders. Resistance of some sort to energy is likely.
Good point, perhaps something from the astral plane is in order. Form a matrix.
The sphere and the cube moved above and away from the head, forming the 3 points of an equilateral triangle. Beams of energy streamed between and connected the 3 points, then each vertex shot a beam towards the center. From that vertex, suddenly emerged a large glob of a silvery substance that flew towards FurFur.

OOC: 1d20+5
That is my ranged touch attack made for manifesting entangling ectoplasm. If I need to move to get to the 35ft range provided by entangling ectoplasm, I do so. My PP count is at 24.

zzuxon
2013-03-27, 08:07 PM
Oops.
[roll0]

Destiny reached
2013-03-28, 04:43 PM
Szaren waves his hand towards the bigger demon. "Moíra," he whispers.

Szaren has cast doom. This spell fills a single subject with a feeling of horrible dread that causes it to become shaken. Range of 120 ft.

Admiral Squish
2013-03-28, 08:35 PM
Merida saw the demons and immediately her mind snapped to her training. She reached behind her, unhooking her shield from her back and hooking the mounts of her shield into her bracer, gripping the thick leather strap. From her hip she grabbed her warhammer and rushed forward, toward glorious battle!

She rushed forward, hammer raised high, and struck out at the larger of the demons, her hammer charged with divine fury.

Move action to move toward them, and free action while moving to put on the shield and draw my hammer.
Attack on buer, using Avenging Strike.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Regalus
2013-03-29, 02:05 PM
Aden was bemoaning his luck; noon had not even arrived and now it seemed he he'd be spending the rest of the day at the guard station. He just hoped that interview him quickly and let him be on his way. Alas it seemed that Fate had other plans, for one moment he was pitying the crazed man and the next the world had turned to darkness before shifting back before he could react. Lo and behold their stood demons before them, after the crazed man who know seemed to have gained some measure of credibility by the incident, and he now stood in the midst of battle. There was no way Aden could leave these people bereft of his aid, and there were already many wounded who needed aid.

"Sorry chief, gonna have to say no. No way I'm gonna leave ya to these things by yourself; the other's seem to agree," he chimed in as he took in the situation at hand. With his path clear, the young pilgrim steeled himself as he raised his shield and readied his blade, praying to the gods on high for their blessings and protection as he interposed himself between the apparent casters fighting alongside him and the smaller of the two demons, Furfur. The young man drew a deep breath and allowed his soothing radiance surge forth, covering those who stood with him in its invigorating embrace; while hopping the cleansing light might ward of the dark creatures. After all these attacks had already been launched, he doubted diplomacy would be much of an option. He had hoped to keep his boons hidden longer than this, but times of crisis did not allow for timidness.

"Pray tell why beings of your station are interested in a frail desert mad-man like our guest here? To go so far as to attack in the midst of the town square rather than once he wandered back into the sands is something quite noteworthy," he inquired from the smaller of the two demons as he focused his gaze upon him.

Move action to put myself between the casters and Furfur roughly while readying my shield, which allows me to ready my sword as a free action. Spending a standard action to perform a Full Defense Action; increasing my AC to 28, and my Touch AC to 26. Spending a Swift Action to activate my Corona ability, and expending one Radiance to grant it the SUnlight ability.

My corona covers a 30ft raidus around Aden, which should hopefully cover all the party and several wounded given his position, and generate bright Illumination; dispelling Darkness Effects as a 2 level spell, and increasing the temperture to 80*F/26.7*C should it ever be lowered. All allies and non-hostile targets in this field gain Fast Healing 3, and all enemies who enter this 30ft radius take 6 fire damage whenever they enter or start the round in this field.

Corona of Sunlight Duration Remaining: 10 rounds
Radiance: 6/7
Current AC: 28 (26 touch AC)

Assurau
2013-04-01, 09:10 PM
Tch. I should have paid more attention during the demology lectures.

It was obvious that the two who had just interrupt the Minotaur captain were demons. Rudras had always told him that demons rarely worked together, so chances are that they were working for the same guy. It also seemed that they were after Hobo Mc Rudepants over here and if a demons wanted you it usually did not end well for all involved save the demons.

Seeing as the Captain and the three-headed wolf person were going to confront this Buer, Saito opted for to focus his attention at the so-called Furfur. As he did, he noticed that two others shared his thoughts.

"Well this is certainly one way to start down this path. Rudras, It's time for us to do our work."

AS he finished say it, lightning crackled along his left arm. There it solidified into the familiar bow shape. With practiced grace, He pulled the bow string back as the arrow materialized.

"Hibike, Rudras!", exclaimed the lad as he let the arrow loose. The lightning-like arrow roared as it flew with all its might towards its target.

Basic attack with lightning bow

[roll0]

Assurau
2013-04-01, 09:13 PM
OOC

Basic attack with lighting bow
[roll0]

electric/sonic damage
[roll1]

thedarkstone
2013-04-04, 03:24 PM
Merida moved first, and, as she struck Buer, he grunted, feeling the impact of the blow. He frowned. "Prance along, little girl," he said, motioning with his hand, as if brushing her away. Force pushed against her, threatening to blast her away.

Strength check
[roll0]
Roll an opposed in the OOC for me to determine how far back you go.

Aden's light shined, burning hot for foes, but soft and warm for allies. Furfur merely laughed. "It's not as though we're devils. Sure, we could have waited it out. But where's the fun in that?"

The ectoplasm of Thamon's shot then, launching towards Furfur. It collided with him, doing naught but covering him in a sticky substance and leaving him entangled. Furfur sighed. "I'll be cleaning ectoplasm out of this for weeks!" he cried, pouting slightly.

At that, the sheriff reached Buer, slamming his massive club into the demon several times. "Die, foul creature!" he cried as his club swung.

Attack roll
[roll1]

Damages
[roll]2d8+40

Korlac's spell (or ability) seemed to have no effect on either demon, both of whom simply laughed. Whereas Blake's bucket of water hit Buer straight in the face. At that, he began screaming and clawing at his skin. Wisps of smoke started rising from his body until, finally, his eyes flashed and a wispy spirit escaped the body of the man and floated away into the sky. The body collapsed to the ground.

Furfur screamed in rage. "No! You cannot do this to us!" He began waving his hands madly--somehow, even through the ectoplasm--casting some spell. As he finished, he pointed to the sky and it began to darken as the clouds rumbled.

Szaren's spell went off next, assaulting Furfur's mind. But Furfur didn't even notice. Next came Caithe's spell, an attempt to force Furfur to vomit.

Furfur didn't bat an eyelash.

The arrow from Saito's bow flew through the air, striking Furfur in the chest. But the electricity just seemed to reenergize him, and allowed him to break free of the ectoplasm that entangled him. He was no less angry than before, however, as he called out in a foreign tongue to the sky.

"Firos a ne lian, nekaal telios. Nekruul ne zraim atomos."

Those who speak Infernal, read the following.
"Power of the depths, hear my call. Bring me the scalding storms."

Everyone, read the following
Everyone whose actions were altered (Caithe/Szaren), my apologies; I assumed you'd do the same thing, just retargeting to the remaining foe.

And, everyone, Buer is gone, but Furfur is pissed now.

Regalus
2013-04-04, 04:40 PM
"Wait, that actually worked?!" he exclaimed in shock and amazement; it seemed the crazy fool was not as foolish as Aden's had first thought. Aden swiftly focused on the remaining Demon; urging his inner flame to the world beyond in it's purest state. The young man slowly released held breath as his Corona intensified ever so slightly, as he himself grew flames; which drifted unto his blade, and focusing until the weapon was covered by a compact sheathe of auburn flames. With a mighty Kiai, bring down the sword at the air itself; the flaming crescent formed by the blade launching itself at the remaining demon before bursting apart and engulfing the immediate area around it in flames.

Full round Action to use Burning Flare.
Furfur must Reflex Save against a DC of 16, or take [roll0] fire damage.

AC back to 22
Corona duration: 9/10 turns
*Dealing 7 points of fire damage, and Fast healing 4.
Radiance: 7/7 Radiance.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-04, 05:55 PM
Merida holds her ground, lowering her heads and planting her feet as the force drives against the surface of her shield. With a push she forces the force back and swings her shield aside only to see Buer no longer before her. Deprived of a target, she turns, furious, eyes locked on Furfur. Her eyes head down, looking for a route, and she rushes forward, pushing through the door of the shop he was standing atop. She barrels into the building, vaults over the counter with a clank, and rushes up the stairs. "Sorry, mister! It's an emergency!" her left head shouts back over a shoulder as she makes her way to the roof, clanking heavily.

Destiny reached
2013-04-04, 10:06 PM
Szaren curses under his breath as he realizes that spells won't do as much as he thought to these monstrosities. He sighs, draws his longbow, and lets loose an arrow at Furfur.

attack: [roll0] damage (if any): [roll1]

Destiny reached
2013-04-05, 06:57 PM
After Szaren attacks, he shouts over the growing noise, "What did the demon say?"

Assurau
2013-04-05, 08:28 PM
"aahh hell no!", said Saito as he saw how his arrow was absorbed by FurFur. This meant that he was seriously running low on options. Dark Lighting, and Lighting Trap were out, so that only left wind-based chants. Focusing, Saito calls for the might of the wind.

"Kyou Fuu Kabe!"

Air in front of Saito, began to churn as it shaped it self into a wall between him and Furfur.

1 Pact generate
Blocking Winds Chant activates
Duration: 2 turns

-Jynx-
2013-04-05, 08:41 PM
Caithe lets out an angry hiss as the demon shrugs off her command. Her face grows more and more serious as her stomach swells up into her mouth before vomiting the contents onto the floor. Thousands of spiders spill forth and begin crawling their way up the side of the building toward the demon.

Spell: Vomit Swarm concentrating on the demon so the swarm climbs and focuses only on him.

chrisrawr
2013-04-05, 08:48 PM
Korlac simply begins backing away, firing tiny bolts of fire to dissipate the heat he'd gathered.

Fiery burst, 2D6 damage [roll0], DC 16 for half

thedarkstone
2013-04-10, 01:55 PM
Note:
I'm just going in order of post from now on. I don't feel like waiting on initiative. For those whom this affects, apologies.

The flaming crescent from Aden's blade washed over Furfur and barely touched him. He seemed to ignore everything, including Merida scrambling through the building below.

The shopkeeper, on the other hand was furious, fuming, shouting a myriad of profanities in his native language of ignan, being, as he was, a fire elemental. It was rather obvious that he was more than furious with her, though he made mno motions to stop her as she charged out, just yelled after her.

As Merida arrived on the roof, she could hear more words flow from Furfur's mouth, as the sky grew darker, heavy storm clouds forming from magic.

"Ni nioruuk aves buern. Allek ne niinfernas buersh naker."

Translation from Infernal
"No mercy this day. Let the heavens boil over."

As he spoke, lightning crackled in the clouds, forming low booms. Furfur motioned with his arms, and the thunder seemed to respond to the motions. Szaren's arrow whizzed past his face, almost breaking into the demon's (devil's?) concentration. Almost. Saito's wall blocks off a region of space, as intended, and perfectly performs its intended task.

The spider swarm, surprisingly, managed to make it to Furfur rather quickly, and, as they arrive, he actually responds. "Disgusting vermin. Begone!" He puffed at them, as if exhaling would remove them from the premises.

The fire bolts form a burst of flame that singes Furfur's cloak. "Bah, I'll have to accelerate the process, I suppose." He waved his hands through the air and a trickle of lightning began to flow from the clouds somehow, moving in response to his gestures.

-Jynx-
2013-04-10, 04:56 PM
Caithes eyes widen for a moment as she notices the lightning arc in the sky she then quickly glances at Szaren and races toward him attempting to grab him and move them both into a nearby building "It's not sssafe in the open!" she hissed taking a moment to make sure her swarm was acting as it should.

Unsure if I need to actually roll anything to try and move Szaren into a building, she's not trying to be terribly forceful but fears what may come next so shes more just trying to shove him in her direction toward a building

Assurau
2013-04-10, 06:26 PM
Seeing the sky churn and roil as Furfur continued to chant, Saito began to put pieces together. Given that Furfur had absorbed Rudra's arrow and now was manipulating the weather, it was safe for him to assume that Furfur must be some manner of storm demon. This, of course, meant that the demon was trying to invoke lightning from the clouds.

"Well in for the copper, in for the gold as uncle would say."

"Kaze no Bakufuu!"

A blast of compressed air shoot at Furfur at a blinding speed.

Activation of Wind Blast chant
Fortitude save half
DC 16
1 Pact Consumed
Pacts Remaining: 0

Blocking Wind Chant
Duration: 1 round

Admiral Squish
2013-04-11, 05:17 PM
Coming out onto the roof, Merida's eyes locked onto furfur as he worked his magic on the edge of the roof, a grin spreading on three mouths. she lowered her head, held her shield forward, and charged once again, aiming to push the spellcaster down into the melee below.

I'm attempting to bull-rush him off the edge. Unfortunately, I provoke an attack of opportunity, but I can deal.
Strength check: [roll0]

chrisrawr
2013-04-11, 05:59 PM
Fiery balls from the retreating Korlac's hands began moving so fast that they streaked, becoming lines of red and orange that slammed into the weather demon where it stood.

2 Scorching Rays,
Ranged Touch Attacks: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Regalus
2013-04-12, 01:37 PM
Aden followed Korlac and Saito's's example launching a ball of brilliant flames as he slowly made his way towards cover as well. Surely their combined volley would cause the demons concentration to falter!

Burning Bolt
[roll0] v.s. Touch AC
[roll1] fire damage

Corona Timer:8/10

Destiny reached
2013-04-12, 03:58 PM
Szaren willingly follows Caithe to safety, but lets fly another arrow at Furfur before going inside.

attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1]