PDA

View Full Version : one thing I still don't get.

Red Lantern
2013-03-22, 02:11 AM
Ok, I still don't get why durkon didn't pull out "Thor's Might!" during the fight with malak. I mean, especially after snakeboy entangled him.

He's done it in less dire circumstances and seemed able to pull it in an instant, I just don't get why he didn't do it, especially after he was down, he didn't need to worry about a ceiling then.

Secris
2013-03-22, 02:27 AM
As someone who doesn't play D&D, I suspect being grappled like that might be able to prevent casting certain kind of spells. They technically need hand motions or something like that.

Or perhaps, even laying down, he still wouldn't fit in the tunnel. I dunno. Those would be my two guesses.

EDIT: To clarify, I have no idea if Thor's Might actually has such a requirement, just spitballing.

Red Lantern
2013-03-22, 02:28 AM
As someone who doesn't play D&D, I suspect being grappled like that might be able to prevent casting certain kind of spells. They technically need hand motions or something like that.

Or perhaps, even laying down, he still wouldn't fit in the tunnel. I dunno. Those would be my two guesses.

Hmm, I don't know, durkon seemed to cast it while holding hammer and sheild, so I'm not sure he needed hand gestures.

I don;t play D&D either.

super dark33
2013-03-22, 02:41 AM
Ceiling was too low to use it.

Mike Havran
2013-03-22, 02:52 AM
Durcon couldn't cast any spells while being in grapple. He even said that in 876, possibly to prevent such speculations.

theNater
2013-03-22, 03:10 AM
Hmm, I don't know, durkon seemed to cast it while holding hammer and sheild, so I'm not sure he needed hand gestures.

I don;t play D&D either.
A light shield(which I'm pretty sure is the type Durkon's using) leaves the hand mostly free. The rules don't specify it, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he can make the gestures with his shield hand.

PersonMan
2013-03-22, 03:14 AM
Clerics prepare their spells (at some time in the day, normally in the morning, it depends on the deity), so it could be that he simply didn't have it prepared that day as well.

factotum
2013-03-22, 03:15 AM
He's done it in less dire circumstances and seemed able to pull it in an instant, I just don't get why he didn't do it, especially after he was down, he didn't need to worry about a ceiling then.

Assuming Thor's Might works similarly to the spell Righteous Might (it seems to have pretty much the same effect, only it triples the target's height rather than doubling it) then it has a somatic component, and you can't cast spells with somatic components if you can't move your hands properly. In addition, he was still upright while being grappled, so if he somehow DID manage to cast the spell he'd crush his skull on the ceiling...

SowZ
2013-03-22, 03:18 AM
Assuming Thor's Might works similarly to the spell Righteous Might (it seems to have pretty much the same effect, only it triples the target's height rather than doubling it) then it has a somatic component, and you can't cast spells with somatic components if you can't move your hands properly. In addition, he was still upright while being grappled, so if he somehow DID manage to cast the spell he'd crush his skull on the ceiling...

Rich kind of messes with standard size proportions for visual effect, it seems. I doubt Righteous Might does more than increase one size category, mechanically speaking.

Kish
2013-03-22, 04:00 AM
Durkon explicitly said this.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-22, 07:32 AM

Durkon explicitly said this.

Comic link (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0875.html) for reference. First panel.

Silverionmox
2013-03-22, 11:02 AM
I would reckon that being buried by a collapsing pyramid beats being vampirized, though.

Defiant
2013-03-22, 11:19 AM
What is so hard to get about this, that everyone keeps bringing it up?? The spell needs somatic components. You cannot use somatic components if you're grappled-pinned.

You might as well be saying "why didn't Durkon cast another heal on Malack?"

The array of spells that require no somatic components is extremely limited. Note the arc where V is turned into a lizard. She was only capable of casting feather fall and suggestion because her lizard hands weren't capable of making the right gestures.

Keris
2013-03-22, 11:20 AM
I would reckon that being buried by a collapsing pyramid beats being vampirized, though.
Even so, Durkon couldn't cast spells while grappling (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0876.html) (fifth panel).

Obscure Blade
2013-03-22, 02:54 PM
What is so hard to get about this, that everyone keeps bringing it up?? The spell needs somatic components. You cannot use somatic components if you're grappled-pinned.

You might as well be saying "why didn't Durkon cast another heal on Malack?"

The array of spells that require no somatic components is extremely limited. Note the arc where V is turned into a lizard. She was only capable of casting feather fall and suggestion because her lizard hands weren't capable of making the right gestures.Another good example, Redcloak versus Tsukiko (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0830.html); "So many spells. So few that can be cast while being grappled."