PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Identify as Spell-Like Ability

feyanor
2013-03-22, 08:04 AM
Hey,

I took identify as the spell-like ability for my Draconic rite of passage, on my kobold druid.
After running the game for a few weeks now, I finally got the chance to use that ability.

What I am wondering is, what exactly is required of the character to use that ability.

As a Spell-like ability it has no verbal, somatic, focus, or material components.

So what exactly does the character need to do?

He needs some sort of concentration obviously, since a Spell Like ability can be interrupted, just as a spell can.

So could the character for example walk around town? Could he engage in shallow conversations?

Not sure if something like this has been discussed before... If it has, I'd appreciate a link to the topic :)

Thanks guys!

sleepyphoenixx
2013-03-22, 08:16 AM
You need to concentrate on the casting, so no, you can't walk around town or
something like that.

Identify as a SLA still has it's normal casting time of 1 hour...
so i'd say you just sit there and think really hard about what the item does?

Alleran
2013-03-22, 08:48 AM
Identify as a SLA still has it's normal casting time of 1 hour...
IIRC, doesn't a SLA take a standard action unless otherwise noted?

feyanor
2013-03-22, 08:56 AM

True, but I'd take the casting time of the basic Spell, as "otherwise noted" in this case, since there is no specific description of the Spell-like ability for the rite of passage.

Edit: I think the paragraph was meant to clear up issues with missing casting times in monster entries and the like.

Rejusu
2013-03-22, 09:04 AM

Edit: Sorry it's actually the other way around.

A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated.

Amnestic
2013-03-22, 10:26 AM

It works that way for Invocations (Warlocks/DFAs), but they have special rules because they're snowflakes :smalltongue:

DementedFellow
2013-03-22, 10:52 AM
Might want to look at Truenamer. He can identify as a standard action, IIRC.