PDA

View Full Version : Bypass old age penalties

Renen
2013-03-22, 03:26 PM
I am building a character (on who I will probably come back to ask advice), and that character is (RP wise) very old.
It will be beneficial for her to have Old age bonuses, seeing as she is a INT focused PC.
Does anyone know of a way to eliminate age penalties? Preferably with a feat. I know there's the dragonwrought cobold, but my PC is Kalashtar race.
She also already has a +2 LA template. (so more LA can be bad)

mregecko
2013-03-22, 03:31 PM
Reincarnate?

Carth
2013-03-22, 03:34 PM
If you're going to be a caster, polymorph. Reincarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm) would also work, as it creates a young adult body, and leaves your mental ability scores intact.

SaintRidley
2013-03-22, 03:35 PM
Necropolitan might do it.

Renen
2013-03-22, 03:40 PM
Well, Ill be an erudite, and im not sure Ill be able to have someone reincarnate me at the start of the game... By her lore, my character is thousands (or millions) of years old. But still looks young. Think it would be possible to get ageless body or some such? How much would it cost (starting at lvl 11). I can say she had it cast on her a long time ago, and just subtract the money from my WBL pool?

Carth
2013-03-22, 03:45 PM
I can say she had it cast on her a long time ago, and just subtract the money from my WBL pool?

This would be the simplest thing to do. At which point, every year to remain immortal in a young adult body, all you need to do is get a scroll of polymorph any object, and scrolls of steal life. Use polymorph any object to turn a pebble into a human (or whatever), then proceed to steal life from the pebble-human. It's just a pebble anyway, so it's not so bad.

Renen
2013-03-22, 03:51 PM
How much you think it would cost to have the ageless effect (whichever mode is cheapest)
Probably gonna function same way locations do when you apply their effects at the beginning of a game. So even if its a spell, probably need to have some definitive price for it.

Gazzien
2013-03-22, 03:55 PM
How much you think it would cost to have the ageless effect (whichever mode is cheapest)
Probably gonna function same way locations do when you apply their effects at the beginning of a game. So even if its a spell, probably need to have some definitive price for it.

One feat; Wedded to History.
There's a whole handbook on this, IIRC. (Becoming ageless)

It's also in this thread. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1583.0)

Carth
2013-03-22, 03:59 PM
There are guideline prices for NPC spellcasting services here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spellcastingAndServices), which can also be found somewhere in the DMG or PHB. Simply figure out the cost for one casting of reincarnate (or last breath, a superior version of reincarnate found in the Spell Compendium). Note that theoretically as you're attempted to be reincarnated into your original race, it might take several tries were you to actually roleplay it out, due to the random results of the spell. In spite of this you should still only price this as though it were cast once, because you derive no permanent benefit from failed attempts. Factoring in failed attempts would be akin to counting expended scrolls and potions against WBL.

Greenish
2013-03-22, 04:03 PM
By her lore, my character is thousands (or millions) of years old. But still looks young.I should imagine that the same effect that allows her to live far beyond the 300 or so years she normally would could also keep her young. The aging bonuses don't seem like worth jumping through all that many hoops, after all.

Renen
2013-03-22, 04:06 PM
Well, she is created by a god, and made immortal... Try explaining that in RAW terms :smalleek:

SaintRidley
2013-03-22, 04:19 PM
Well, she is created by a god, and made immortal... Try explaining that in RAW terms :smalleek:

My first suggestion would be the Mary Sue template. My second would be using the God-Blooded Template and adding "No maximum age, does not take penalties due to aging, cannot die of old age" to it.

Greenish
2013-03-22, 04:25 PM
Well, she is created by a god, and made immortal... Try explaining that in RAW terms :smalleek:Why would you try to explain that with RAW? :smallconfused:

Renen
2013-03-22, 04:45 PM
Hmmm good point :-0
Will probably go with Wedded to History, with the DM house ruling that it means looking young forever.
I assume the Mary-sue template was a jab at trying to make OP PC, but I do have good reasons why my PC doesnt just roflstomp the whole campaign.

Keneth
2013-03-22, 04:56 PM

Easy, you're a quasi-deity with divine rank 0.

Oh, you can't have quasi-deity traits? Then why are you a Kalashtar and not an Elan? Clearly that's the go-to psionic race for immortality.

Marnath
2013-03-22, 04:59 PM
Does your DM allow pathfinder material? If so, there's a spell series which may be good for you If Int character means wizard and not something else? Anyway, take a look at Age Resistance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/age-resistance).

Renen
2013-03-22, 05:05 PM
Means Erudite >_<
And you say Elans get to be immortal? Interesting....
But they still get the age penalties dont they?
With 32 point buy, if I make my int 18, then i wont have any points left for the 3 stats that take a hit. I will be either too weak to pick up even a pebble, have +0 HP per lvl or have -dex armor. Or all at once >_<

Marnath
2013-03-22, 05:06 PM
Means Erudite >_<

Yaayy, reading comprehension is my strong suit! Haha, not really. :smallredface:

Carth
2013-03-22, 05:08 PM
Are you sure you want to go with wedded to history? A feat is a much more extreme cost of character resources than subtracting a marginal amount from your WBL. Plus wedded to history doesn't actually make you immortal (the thread that was linked to points this out, in fact), I'm surprised it still gets spread around that it does. Frankly, reincarnate is a better story hook anyway, as you could just say you were reincarnated to your current immortal state.

Greenish
2013-03-22, 05:10 PM
And you say Elans get to be immortal? Interesting....Elan, like warforged (ECS/MMIII) and killoren (RoW) do not have maximum age, and thus do not die of old age.

Elans still eat all the aging penalties (unlike the latter two; warforged stop aging after middle age, killoren after old).

Renen
2013-03-22, 05:27 PM
Well, like I said, it'd be nice to have the bonuses of old age w/o actually being old (and therefore having penalties)

I guess my 2 options will be :
1) Pay off DM (with my WBL) to allow me to say that my PC was 'made' immortal
2) Get the Wedded to history feat which could be interpreted (not by RAW) to make me immortal and young

Keneth
2013-03-22, 06:00 PM
Means Erudite >_<
But they still get the age penalties dont they?

True, but they fit your concept perfectly. You can also say you're the only kalashtar elan ever created (by divine influence no less). As an elan, you could also ask your DM for a rejuvenation racial trait that allows you to spend power points, to temporarily stave off aging penalties. That's probably not beyond the scope of what an ancient elan could do.

Immortality is easy, but getting a timeless body, not so much. Apart from reincarnating into a younger body, you can also make a clone of your younger body (or several) and preserve it indefinitely. Wedded to History might be a way, but that's questionable and no more official than asking for DM fiat.