PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mmmph mmm.

GreenSerpent
2013-03-22, 03:48 PM
Hello Playground!

I'm currently working on a parody(ish) of the TF2 Pyro as a D&D character, but I'm completely stumped as to build ideas. I'm not sure if the Flamer from the DMG is allowed.

(for those of you who don't know the Pyro is completely insane. We're not talking talking-to-itself here. We're talking seeing people burning to death as laughing covered in rainbows)

The game is Gestalt, with all books allowed and double feats/ability increases. If possible I'd like to keep as close to the theme as possible, AKA an insane masked mumbling Pyromaniac with a "flamethrower". Play is going to definitely go into Epic levels, so suggestions about what to do there would be liked.

Thanks in advance!

limejuicepowder
2013-03-22, 04:05 PM
What are his abilities? Is he an ordinary, albeit insane, guy who carries a flamethrower? Or is he of the superpowered variety?

If it's the former, then going in to epic is absolutely going to give him a huge boost to power that he shouldn't have (RL is generally though to be level 5 and less). But whatever class you choose is ultimately going to be secondary to his equipment.

If it's the latter, we need a better description of his powers before classes can be suggested.

Mr Adventurer
2013-03-22, 04:53 PM
Buomman. :)

Keneth
2013-03-22, 05:01 PM
A refluffed Dragonfire Adept?

Darius Kane
2013-03-22, 05:07 PM
What are his abilities? Is he an ordinary, albeit insane, guy who carries a flamethrower? Or is he of the superpowered variety?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

T.G. Oskar
2013-03-22, 05:09 PM

The first one. The Pyro (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Pyro) doesn't just use a flamethrower, but he fulfills the idea of a glass cannon. Straingely enough, he has quite a bit of HP. To compare: the character with the highest Health amongst the jobs would be the Heavy, which is the equivalent of a Tank in terms of offense and defense, and the Pyro is just behind it.

The Pyro has as its main source of power his flamethrower, but he has certain traits as well, aside from his pretty high Health. His flames can reveal disguised opponents, deals afterburn damage (basically catch on fire), and can launch compression blasts that can deflect projectiles. He can also use axes as melee weapons, and flare guns as secondary weapons.

In essence, the Pyro needs:

An item or constant power that offers a cone-range weapon.
A secondary ranged weapon that deals fire damage.
Proficiency with axes.
Resistance to fire damage.
A power that can be used to deflect projectiles.
High Constitution and a decent HD size.
Moderate defense.
Crazy as heck.

This just screams Dragonfire Adept, as the breath power increases over time, Scorching Gust is basically the compression blast and the flare gun at once, its breath weapon is based off Constitution so you end up with a nice amount of HP, and you can get Deflect Arrows and Martial Weapon Proficiency (battleaxe) in one way or another. The "crazy as heck" can be fluffed, but definitely try to channel Jack Torrance from The Shining, and say that anyone who tries to do Detect Thoughts will meet Pinkie Pie.

TheIronGolem
2013-03-22, 05:14 PM
I would start with a Sorcerer focused on fire spells.

Depending on how true you want to stay to the Pyro's weapons in TF2, you might even want to focus almost exclusively on Burning Hands (flamethrower), Gust of Wind (air blast), and Fire Bolt (flare gun) and use metamagic feats to keep them viable at higher levels. Or just use a lot of different fire spells, if you don't want to be that strict.

Not sure what would be good to gestalt it with. Rogue/Arcane Trickster could simulate the Backburner. Fighter could be helpful if you can convince your DM to let you apply Weapon Focus/Specialization to fire spells (or just apply those feats to fighting with an axe). Barbarian wouldn't be a bad choice either.

GreenSerpent
2013-03-22, 05:25 PM
Considering he's probably at least slightly evil, Willing Deformity and Deformity (Madness) would cover the completely insane parts (as well as provide some very nice benefits into the bargain).

I had completely forgotten about Dragonfire Adept... or I suppose I could find some way to make an Epic Vestige.

Giarc
2013-03-22, 06:20 PM
If you are willing to use psionics, there is the Pyrokineticist psionic prestige class that also wants to burn things. One of the special requirements of that class is "Must have set fire to a structure of any size just to watch it burn."

Soranar
2013-03-22, 06:35 PM
I would second the Buomman race idea and follow it with the Nonverbal spell feat : now you can cast your spells while doing Mmph , mmph!

The Viscount
2013-03-23, 11:35 AM
Dragonfire Adept is probably a better better class, but Blighter 2 gives a spammable fire blast as well.