PDA

View Full Version : Prison Break IC

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-22, 03:59 PM
You have waited in a dark, dank cell for your sentences to run out. Some of you are incarcerated for a long period extending well beyond your natural lifespan. The boredom of solitary confinement is torture far worse than anything that could be dreamed up by a dwarven investigator. The time has allowed you to dream up escaping more times than you could count. Tonight, however, your chance has come. The entire prison shook with a large explosion, and what little light there was winked out. The guards that usually patrol every few minutes do not appear for nearly an hour. Silence falls on the complex. After a few additional minutes, the lock on your cell lights up, illuminated by some inner magic. Eight symbols appear at random on the lock, sometimes all eight, other times as few as five. You get the feeling that these symbols have something to do with unlocking the door, but why they would be on the inside of the cell is a mystery.

The symbols are:
A red swirl
A blue circle
A green star
A white square
A purple horse
A yellow diamond
An orange triangle
A silver blade

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-22, 04:35 PM
For too long the Unquenchable Conflagration had been contained in this tiny cell. Now it was time for everything to... burn.

He studied the lock. It appeared to be obviously magical, but it might take some time to understand how.

Arcana - [roll0]

Kasmania
2013-03-22, 04:43 PM
Oh? So it was finally time, was it. Just as well, she had grown tired of staying inside.

Stifling back a yawn, Amber saunters over to the cell door and takes a casual glance at the shifting patterns.

Dungeoneering check: [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-22, 04:50 PM
Requires Arcana 25 to open
The lock is a combination of magical power and other things. The glowing lights are a magical effect, and you believe there is a magical trap inlaid within it. You sense some sort of link between your lock and the others in the cell block. It is possible the lock can be opened by entering the correct combination, but it may require all the prisoners trying to unlock the cells at the same time to open the lock.

Amber
You can only guess that the patterns are a magical failsafe in case the door needed to be opened after some accident. You aren't sure what to do, except that each of the symbols seems to be a button of some sort.

Angel Bob
2013-03-22, 04:59 PM
Well, that's as good a sign as any, and certainly an obvious one, Trox muttered to himself. He could tell this enchantment would require some knowledge of magic to unlock. Not being the most learned of magicians, he elected to study the pattern of blinking symbols for a time, to see if he could notice anything to help him on his way.

Perception - [roll0]

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-22, 05:04 PM
Magic begins to play along Kharath-zuul's fingers. A blue flame licks the lock and dances along the surface and if trying to pick it open.

Arcana - [roll0]

He nearly has but then a sound from outside, perhaps a guard he thinks, distracts Kharath-Zuul at a crucial moment.

Infernally Clay
2013-03-22, 05:13 PM
"Magic? Névtelen snarled, "I hate magic."

Thievery: [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-22, 05:18 PM
Trox
The pattern seems completely random, or at least a complex enough pattern that you cannot track it. As you mutter to yourself, you realize that the magical dampening that cut short any sounds made is gone...your mutterings echo along the magically-reinforced stone walls.

All
You hear a snarling voice say "Magic? I hate magic." This is strange, as usually it is completely silent in the prison. Some bit of magic must have stopped working that made the cell block silent.[/b]

Nevtelen
Your voice echoes down the hall, which is strange, as usually it would be silenced before it was out of your mouth.

The lock is a complex combination of magic, divine power, mechanics and clockwork. You can puzzle out the mechanical portion of it, but its protected by the others. You would need an entire team of experts on each of the fields in the cell with you to simply disable it, and it looks like the only way out would be to figure out the combination. You find a nasty electrode that would send out a shock if you hit the wrong combination. You could easily disable this, but who knows what might happen.

Karath-zuul
As you probe the lock, a small amount of electricity shocks you. It is not enough to harm you, but seems to be a warning against meddling with the lock.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-22, 05:26 PM
A voice booms down the block.

"It appears these locks are linked together. Attacking them from one point my be insufficient. I can work against the magic in here, but if anyone else is for getting out... you'll need to work on your own at the same time."

Angel Bob
2013-03-22, 05:27 PM
"Well, thanks for the advice," Trox says to the second voice.

He sighs and condemns himself to the fact that his limited knowledge of magic is all that will aid him in this predicament. Not exactly the most grand escape plan he'd had in mind, but it will have to do.

Arcana - [roll0]

Of course, though Trox can bend mind and matter with his own force of will, he is somewhat lacking in the ability to dispel enchantments. The lock stays put, the symbols seeming to taunt him with their desultory dance.

Drakeburn
2013-03-22, 05:49 PM
"So, it is finally happening." Gach muttered as he got up and went over to his lock. "Magic? I hate magic." A voice echoed.
What is causing all this? Gach wondered as he got to the lock.

"I've never noticed that before." He growled, inspecting the lock and symbols.

Perception: (1d20+10) [roll0]

KnightSteve
2013-03-22, 06:03 PM
Soishnak has grown bored of being in this cell. Not being too keen on the workings of magick, Soishnak thinks about using his thieving skills to get out. Well until he hears others speaking.

Hey whoever you are, I am going to need some help with how this works. I am no good with this magick stuff. I assume I cannot just pick this lock. Soishnak sits there staring at the symbols waiting for some instructions.

Infernally Clay
2013-03-22, 06:03 PM
"Disabling the lock isn't possible," Telen said to nobody in particular, "The combination is needed... What connection do the symbols have...? There's a circle, a triangle, a square, a star, a diamond... The horse and sword don't fit with the others and the swirl stands out as well."

"I hate puzzles."

KnightSteve
2013-03-22, 06:09 PM
Perception Check [roll0] - To see if I can see the symbols well enough to open lock.

Angel Bob
2013-03-22, 06:12 PM
"Smart one, eh?" Trox grunts. Not to be outmatched, he turns his mind to looking for links between the symbols.

Insight - [roll0]

"Well... some of them are shapes. And others are... shapes. Drat."

After a moment of two of disappointment, something occurs to Trox. "Hmm, wait a minute. The swirl, circle, and diamond are primary colours... horse, star, and triangle are secondary... blade and square don't fit in. Anyone smarter than me want to figure that out?"

Angel Bob
2013-03-22, 07:43 PM
After a prolonged silence, Trox speaks again. "Say, how many voices was that? Snarling guy... booming magician... growling voice... confused guy... and myself. Five of us, eight symbols. Hmm. Could it -- nah. Well, I suppose there's no harm in suggesting it:

"Suppose each of the basic shapes corresponds to one of our cells? That'd discount the swirl, horse, and sword. Simple, I know, but perhaps it's trying to outsmart us. No one would try a combination as dumb as that, so naturally that's the one that works. Worth a shot?"

Drakeburn
2013-03-22, 10:42 PM
"Anybody have any idea which shape their cell is related to?" Gach asks, looking around in his cell, and what he can see outside the cell door.

Perception Check: (1d20+10) [roll0]

Infernally Clay
2013-03-22, 10:46 PM
"The shape of my cell?" Telen wondered, realising he hadn't actually checked, "It's..."

Perception: [roll0]

Kasmania
2013-03-23, 12:30 AM
Amber calls out in a bright voice "You missed one over here!"

She then proceeds to throw all caution to the wind and hits the silver blade icon when it next lights up on her cell door.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-23, 09:57 AM
"Just how do you know the meaning of those symbols? In fact how can you assume they have any meaning at all? I don't really feel like risking my hide by testing all the possibilities through brute force trails. There is no telling how many buttons we'd each have to press and each door could have a different code."

Kharath-zuul studied the individual symbols. Perhaps they had some sort of significance that would help unravel the mystery... Then again maybe it was the pattern of lights that was more important than the symbols.

Studying the symbols
Arcana - [roll0]
History - [roll1]
Nature - [roll2]
Religion - [roll3]

Studying the light pattern
Insight - [roll4]

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-23, 11:18 AM
When Amber hits the icon,they stop shifting in all of the cells. All of your cells are square.

Soishnak
all of the buttons are currently lit

Amber
only the silver blade is lit.

Karath-zul
all of the buttons are currently lit except the red swirl.

Telen
all of the buttons are currently lit except the silver blade.

Gach

Trox

Kasmania
2013-03-23, 11:46 AM
"Oops. Sorry guys, I think I broke it, only the silver dagger thingy's lit up in here now."

KnightSteve
2013-03-23, 12:47 PM
Hmm. Let me press one?! Or should I wait for the magick guy to say something?! Soishnak yells out of his cell to whoever cares.

Angel Bob
2013-03-23, 01:20 PM
"What? Oi, new girl, you've switched on all the symbols in my cell and they're not turning back. Mage, please tell me she hasn't broken it," Trox grunts. "Oh, and whoever it is asking for advice -- just tell us which symbols are lit up in your cell and follow the mage's lead."

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-23, 04:46 PM
"The red swirl is dark, but the rest are lit. I suggest you all share the status of your lights."

Drakeburn
2013-03-23, 04:53 PM
"All my buttons are still lit." Gach said as he scratched the side of his head.
"These locks better not be broken, for your sake female." He growled.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-23, 06:29 PM
"If the locks are broken, then either you are never getting out of your cage or they were never an obstacle to begin with. So your threat means nothing," the voice booms again.

Infernally Clay
2013-03-23, 06:39 PM
"If you're done flirting, it's worth noting that all the colours are lit on my end 'cept for the sword. Maybe we should try turning off all the lights?"

Drakeburn
2013-03-23, 10:35 PM
"Perhaps........." Gach agreed, quickly cooling off.
"I'll push one of my buttons. Let me know if anything happens....."
With that, Gach presses on the red swirl.

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-23, 10:56 PM
The other cells are unchanged, but in Gach's cell, all the lights except the red swirl turn off.

KnightSteve
2013-03-24, 09:24 AM
"For what it's worth, I think I will try the Orange Triangle." Soishnak reaches over and presses the orange button, hoping that he won't get blasted with an energy or electrical blast.

Drakeburn
2013-03-24, 10:37 AM
"I pressed a button. Did that change anything?" Gach announced to the others, whoever he was cooperating with.
If it didn't make any difference, Gach thought to himself, I'll just push the button again.

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-24, 02:51 PM
Soishnak
As you hit the symbol, the rest go dark, leaving only the orange triangle lit.

In all the other cells, no symbols change. Nobody is shocked either.

To summarize:

Amber: touched the silver blade symbol
Gach: touched the red swirl
Soishnak: touched the orange triangle

KnightSteve
2013-03-24, 03:40 PM
"Oi! My lock is now only showing the orange triangle! Anyone figured out if that is good or bad yet? I want to try to open the door, but I'll wait a little longer." Soishnak just sat there looking rather bored with all of this.

Just hope I get out of here soon. I have some more work to do out there, he thought to himself.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-24, 03:48 PM
Figuring nothing went wrong after the first few presses, he would possibly be safer now than waiting until he was last.

"Nothing has changed in mine. I suggest we all make sure we touch a different symbol. Be sure to mention what you press. I shall try the green star."

With that Kharath-zull presses the button he indicated.

Angel Bob
2013-03-24, 04:03 PM
Normally, Trox prefers to take charge of a situation and call the shots, but he can tell this is out of his purview. "As you say, mage. I choose the blue circle." He presses the icon firmly.

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-24, 04:10 PM
As the symbols are touched, they light up, and all others darken. Nevtelen's cell is the only one with more than one symbol lit.

To summarize:

Amber: touched the silver blade symbol
Gach: touched the red swirl
Soishnak: touched the orange triangle
Kharath-zul: touched the green star
Trox: touched the blue circle

Infernally Clay
2013-03-24, 05:16 PM
"I guess that just leaves me, then," Telen said, "I'll try the white square."

Drakeburn
2013-03-24, 05:22 PM
"If you want to know mage," Gach announced, "I pressed the red swirl." Getting things done was more important to him than taking charge. If he has to take orders from others to reach his goal, he will.

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-24, 05:57 PM
As Telen touches the white square, all of the symbols go dark for a second. Then, they all start flashing at random again. Above the panel where the symbols are is now a red slash that stays lit permanently.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-25, 04:36 AM
"Well, that was... underwhelming. Though, we have no idea what that new symbol means. Therefore I suggest that we be measured in any changes we make. Perhaps whoever pushed their button first last time should pick a different one, but the rest of us should choose the same as before if you are able."

Kasmania
2013-03-25, 10:22 PM
"Alright, if you think it'll help!" She reaches over again and hits the Silver Blade icon again, trying to hit it at a different arrangement of icons than the first time she pressed it, as best as she can remember.

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-26, 12:40 PM
Amber

You try to time a button press with different symbols lit up, and you believe you have done fairly well. The silver blade is lit on your panel, as well as the red slash.

Soishnak

The symbols stop flashing, and this time all are lit except the green star.

Karath-zul

The symbols stop flashing, and this time all are lit except the blue circle and orange triangle

Telen

The symbols stop flashing, and this time all are lit except the red swirl and green star.

Gach

The symbols stop flashing, and this time all are lit except the purple horse.

Trox

The symbols stop flashing, and this time all are lit except the green star, the purple horse, and the orange triangle.

KnightSteve
2013-03-26, 02:31 PM
Soishnak

"Uh, magick user. My buttons are different than last time, so far. When was it my turn to press the button?"

Kasmania
2013-03-26, 02:42 PM
"Really? But I ended up pushing the same button again this time." She scratches her head in confusion. "That's weird."

Angel Bob
2013-03-26, 02:47 PM
"I'm missing the green star, the purple horse, and the orange triangle," Trox observes. "The others are lit."

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-26, 02:49 PM
"But... I TOLD YOU TO PUSH A DIFFERENT ONE YOU IDIOT! Now how will we glean any useful information off of the last sequence of buttons? Fine, my blue circle and orange triangle are not lit... what do the rest of you have? We should get ALL the information before we push any more buttons."

Drakeburn
2013-03-26, 03:10 PM
"All my symbols are lit except for the purple horse." Gach announced.
"What do you recommend magic user?"

Angel Bob
2013-03-26, 04:39 PM
Trox reflects on what little information the group has thus far gleaned. He knows he is unlikely to figure out anything, but the more minds thinking on the subject, the better.

Insight: [roll0]

"Arrgh," Trox grumbles. He ought to be able to string a pattern together, but nothing is occurring to him.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-26, 05:28 PM
Kharath-zuul ponders the information he's been given so far...

Insight [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

"I recall the guards mentioning something about how what you pressed wasn't as important as what others did, but I'm not sure how that helps."

Kasmania
2013-03-26, 06:05 PM
With nothing better to do, Amber thinks back towards what she knew of the prison, and the random discussions she had overheard from the guardsmen as they patrolled the blocks.

Perception: [roll1]

Nothing particularly comes to mind however, and she settles back in her cell, waiting for the others to come to a plan of action.

KnightSteve
2013-03-26, 06:31 PM
"I do not have the green star lit. the others are." Soishnak tries to remember if he overheard anything about the symbols and locks from the guards...

He seems to remember taking it as a bunch of rabble and ignored it.
Perception Check [roll0]
Insight Check [roll1]

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-27, 09:47 AM
"One of you has not reported the status of your lights. Should I assume you have perished?"

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-28, 08:49 AM
"So, it would appear that only two of us could still choose the green star, myslef and one other. Whoever may still choose the green star, do so."

tigerusthegreat
2013-03-29, 01:55 AM
(taking control to move this along, if the player wishes to change this action I will allow it):

Gach presses the green star, which changes nothing in any cell but his own, All lights but the green star and the red slash go out.

Drakeburn
2013-03-29, 12:29 PM
So far, so good, Gach thought to himself.
But something kept bugging him in his thoughts. What would happen if everyone managed to get free? Would they immediately attack? Would they try to murder him, or devour him?

All he can do for now is follow the magic user's instructions.......

Son_of_Meepo
2013-03-29, 12:33 PM
"I am pressing the purple horse."

After that is done, "The one with three unlit symbols press the blue circle. Once that is done, the one who cannot press the green star and red swirl, press the orange triangle, then the last should press the red swirl."

Suggested Order

Amber: Silver Blade
Gach: Green Star
Kharath-zuul: Purple Horse
Trox: Blue Circle
Telen: Orange Triangle
Soishnak: Red Swirl

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-02, 07:27 PM
As you try to figure out the patterns of the magical runes, a second explosion shakes the entire complex. You are bodily thrown to the ground, and any wards and protections around your cell doors are destroyed. The magical energy around the runes explodes into the cells, destroying the mechanical and magical door locks. The cell doors open at the slightest touch now, but you are all singed by the magical backlash (everyone takes 20 electricity damage before any damage reduction).

Infernally Clay
2013-04-02, 08:13 PM
Névtelen, Half-Orc Slayer (www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=521641), 103/123 HP

"Now that's over with..." Névtelen said, standing himself up and casually brushing his shoulder, taking his cell door off its hinge with a well-placed kick, "I don't care what's going on, I'm getting out. I have a Dwarf to hunt."

Checking the immediate area, Telen decided to scout ahead for any guards or inmates before planning his next move.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-03, 07:12 AM
Kharath-zuul puts his considerable strength behind the door, knocking it from its hinges. With only a stern look from the genasi to guide him, Kharath-zuul's djinnling, Squall, floats into the hallway first to see if everything is clear before calling his master out.

Angel Bob
2013-04-03, 08:43 AM
Over the wreckage of his cell door strides a huge, muscular hobgoblin, his lock-jawed face stern and his eyebrows furrowed. "At last... the Sixty Skulls shall be avenged!" he grunts. "Those accursed elves won't know what hit them."

Electricity dancing across his scarlet fur, Trox enters the hallway and glances around.

KnightSteve
2013-04-03, 08:49 AM
Soishnak 86/106 HP

After getting up from the explosion, Soishnak gets through the rubble to leave his cell. He is anxious to meet these people in the other cells so they can get out of this place and he can find his next act of crime. "I say we get out before the gods decide to keep us in here, like six feet under kind of here."

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-03, 11:10 AM
The six cells are arrayed along a short hallway 10ft across. One way ends in a steel wall, the other leads to a large steel doorway. The doors appear reinforced, and slide into the wall when the doors are opened. The explosion has damaged the walls on either side, and it is doubtful the doors can retract the way they are meant to.

This is a skill challenge to find a way around the door. From what you remember about being brought to this prison, this section is deep underground, so this door is your only hope of escape.

Skills Use: None
Successes: 0
Failures: 0

Infernally Clay
2013-04-03, 11:47 AM
"You, Half-Orc, you look strong. Give me a hand. The Hobgoblin can help too." Telen said, "We'll see if we can't force this door open."

Strength check: [roll0]

KnightSteve
2013-04-03, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=Infernally Clay;15019405]"You, Half-Orc, you look strong. Give me a hand. The Hobgoblin can help too." Telen said, "We'll see if we can't force this door open."

"I will help cousin. Let's see what we can do. No magick involved with this!!"

Strength Check [roll0]

Angel Bob
2013-04-03, 04:22 PM
"I may not be the best at puzzles, but here's a door I can open!" Trox grins, and puts his strength into shoving the door open.

Strength check: [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-03, 04:35 PM
Using brute strength, you manage to slide the doors open a few centimeters. It might be enough for someone very lithe to slip through, but it would be extremely difficult. Perhaps there is an alternative way to open the door on the other side.

Skills Uses: Strength (Trox, Telen, Soishnak)
Successes: 1
Suggested Skills to use: Arcana, Acrobatics, Thievery

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-03, 04:42 PM
Squall communicates to his master that some of the other prisoners are trying to force a door.

With no guards in sight, the genasi wanders closer to the the rest of the group. He clears his throat to get their attention.

"Brute force might just work, but it never helps to have a lever. If you would stand back for a moment..."

Kharath-zuul begins to measure the angles and make the necessary mental calculations.

"Usually there is a catch on the other side of the door. With the proper applications of force you can usually work it, whereas throwing yourself headlong into it is ineffective. Again, stand back the door may very well kick back towards us."

The wizard aims a concussive blast at a specific point on the floor. If he has calculated the angle and the force correctly, he should make some progress.

Arcana - [roll0]

Infernally Clay
2013-04-03, 04:49 PM
"Leverage, huh?" Telen smiled, "Good to see you're not just a pretty face."

Thievery: [roll]1d20+13[/b]

Infernally Clay
2013-04-03, 04:50 PM

Drakeburn
2013-04-03, 04:58 PM
"So, Bane has finally answered...." Gach said to himself as he got out of his cell, still a bit sore from being shocked.
"What is happening here?" He growled, looking around.

Gach: 87/107 HP

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-03, 05:06 PM
The powerful blast of Arcane energy creates a larger opening between the two sections of the door. It should be much easier to slip through the opening, but the opening is still not wide enough for everyone to fit through easily.

Skills Uses: Strength (Trox, Telen, Soishnak), Arcana (Kharath-zul)
Successes: 1
Suggested Skills to use: Acrobatics, Thievery

[since telen already did a strength check, all of those that hasn't performed a skill need to go before that check goes through]

Angel Bob
2013-04-03, 05:10 PM
Trox: 100/120 HP

Trox stands back from the door. Combat is his forte, not opening doors, after all. As he waits, his startlingly blue eyes alight on the much-smaller hobgoblin who just emerged from his own cell. "I should've guessed by the voice," he mutters. "Oi, fellow hobgoblin. Of what tribe are you?"

Kasmania
2013-04-03, 05:15 PM
Amber: 63/83 HP

Amber emerges from her cell cautiously, hearing various sounds of exertion and magical discharge. Seeing the door at the end of the cell block slightly ajar, she grins and compliments the rest of the party. "Well, seems like you've got enough space there to slip through. Give me just a sec, and I'll see what lies on the other side, and see if I can't get this thing open."

She nimbly attempts to slip through the small opening, aiming to see if there is a mechanism on the other side of the doorway.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Drakeburn
2013-04-03, 05:57 PM
"Halfings." Gach snarls.
Then he turns his attention to the other hobgoblin.
"I used to be one of the Bone Rippers. The youngest son of the Chieftain. But now, they're all gone." He answered with a sigh.
"So, if I heard correctly, you're from the Sixty Skulls?"

(by the way, Trox and Gach are the same height)

Angel Bob
2013-04-03, 06:38 PM
"A Bone Ripper, eh? I admire your tribe's tenacity. If only my tribe hadn't been caught by surprise, we'd have helped you drive off the elves. As for your query, I am indeed Trox, son of Chief Oktun of the Sixty Skulls. It seems we have our tribal position in common. Thank Bane for a valuable ally in this wretched place."

Drakeburn
2013-04-03, 06:56 PM
"To be honest, my tribe was defeated as well. I just tried to build up an army with the goblins that were scattered by the elves. Well, you can guess how well that campaign turned out." He groaned.
"Of course, the bravery of the Sixty Skulls was legendary. Inspired the other goblins to keep fighting, especially me; Gach, youngest son of Fryx. I just wish we could've helped you in time. Elves wipe out our kind, and they believe they have the right to call us 'nuisances.'"
Then Gach turns back to the door.
"Well, any progress yet?" He snaps at the halfling.

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-03, 09:27 PM
Amber manages to slip through, and can see some latches that allow access to the area the door slides into. It would be quite simple to open them, allowing the door to slide the rest of the way into the wall, and let the other convicts out.

The hallway continues into the complex, extending as far as you can see.

Kasmania
2013-04-04, 01:05 PM
"Don't tempt me to leave you all in there to rot now~" a sing-song voice calls back cheerfully from the other side of the door. On the other side, Amber makes a cursory check for traps, before unlatching the door and moving a few feet back from the door, scanning down the length of the hallway.

"It should be open now! Give sliding it open another try."

Infernally Clay
2013-04-04, 01:19 PM
"Don't expect a medal, Telen said to the Halfling, sliding the door open, "We need weapons. If we're going to fight our way out, and I really hope we are, then fists alone won't be enough."

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-04, 03:01 PM
The door slides open quite easily now that the obstruction is removed (2000 xp awarded for the skill challenge). You are quite surprised that there are no guards in the area, they usually patrol quite regularly. If the dwarf and elf guards aren't present, then usually at least one of their magi-mechanical constructs is roaming around. The latest model of those monstrosities you have seen rolls around in a big ball, before deploying like a plant growing from a seed, swinging blades or firing bolts (sometimes both).

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-04, 03:19 PM
"So now what? I don't suppose anyone remembers any of the layout beyond the view from our cells?"

Kharath-zuul looks around to see what sort of exits or interesting features are visible.

Drakeburn
2013-04-04, 09:08 PM
Gach walked up next to the Genasi and stared past the open door.
"Remembering the layout is half the problem." Gach said, slowly shaking his head.
"It is the obstacles that we should worry about. They will not stop until we are imprisoned again, or slain. This may be our opportunity to leave this prison, but it cannot be taken alone." He turned to the magic user.
"We'll need the talents and muscle of everybody here, either if we like it or not." Gach says the last sentence as he glances at the halfling.

Kasmania
2013-04-04, 09:43 PM
Amber merely winks coquettish at Gach before carefully proceeding down the hallway on her own as the rest of the party emerges from the cell block, keeping the rest of the party in sight at all time. There isn't much cover, but she utilizes the shadows as best she can as she scouts forward; if there's something up ahead, she wants to see it first.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

If there are deep enough shadows in the hallway, she Shadow Strides between them, keeping herself hidden.

Angel Bob
2013-04-05, 07:21 AM
"Well said," Trox nods appreciatively to his fellow hobgoblin. "Now, I agree that the first order of business ought to be reclaiming our weapons. I greatly desire to bear my soldier's uniform once more."

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-05, 07:35 AM
"My spells still pack quite a punch without an implement, but the advantages of channeling my power through a proper wand cannot be denied. Still, unless we can figure out where they might be stored, and that assumes they are even stored in this prison, then we are at the mercy of blind luck to find them."

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-06, 09:17 AM
Amber
The corridor continues for sixty feet, and is fairly well lit. You have trouble sneaking along it, and if there was anything in the corridor, you think it would have to be blind not to spot you. About eighty feet from the door, the corridor comes to a T intersection. Peeking around the corner to the left is an area where the magical lighting seems to be malfunctioning. It flickers constantly, and there are several completely dark spots. On the right, the lights are working perfectly, but one of the sphere-robot guards stands at attention about 20ft down. You are sure he hasn't spotted you, because he hasn't reacted at all. The entire part should be able to get down the dark corridor without it spotting them.

Kasmania
2013-04-08, 10:35 AM
Amber quietly sneaks back to the rest of the party clumping up near the door. "So it looks like we'll want to go left up ahead, unless you guys feel like taking on one of those sphere-bots with your bare hands. Lighting's down in the left corridor, so we should be able to mosey on past without it seeing us."

Infernally Clay
2013-04-08, 10:51 AM
"It should be easy to sneak past, then," Telen said, clearly content to fight the guard if the need arises.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-09, 12:51 PM
"Very well," add Kharath-zuul though he isn't exactly the quietest being as his passing as a herald of destruction is supposed to be noticeable.

Stealth - [roll0]

Angel Bob
2013-04-09, 03:37 PM
With lighter foot than might be expected, Trox slinks down the corridor after the others. Personally, he feels confident he could take on one of the guard drones and survive, but doing so would likely incur the wrath of the others, and that wouldn't do. After all, he needs soldiers in this war.

Drakeburn
2013-04-10, 08:20 PM
With hardly anything weighing him down, Gach sneaks down the corridor along with the others. Now that he has a small group of allies, his hopes of freedom and revenge are slowly rising. But only time will tell if such fate is the truth, or a lie......

Stealth:[roll0]

KnightSteve
2013-04-11, 02:57 PM
Stealth is Soishnak's middle name. He goes behind the others to sneak across. He feels as sneaky as the next person, and quietly works his way through debris.

Stealth Check [roll0]

Kasmania
2013-04-11, 03:17 PM
Amber follows as soon as she confirms that all the other party members have moved past the guard sentry. She activates her Impossible to Catch utility, turning invisible before turning the corner, and uses Shadow Stride to move between the stretches of shadows, attempting to get back in front of the party to scout ahead.

Stealth (if really necessary): [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-11, 06:07 PM
Everyone manages to sneak into the shadowy areas of the hallway, not apparently being noticed by the sentinel. The magical lights flicker in this hallway, meaning a spot that was dark and safe one moment, becomes brightly lit the next. Thankfully, the one sentinel is the only guard you have noticed, and he has not reacted to you at all. The hall extends for 60ft before it reaches a corner, heading to the left. About 30ft from the corner (and 30ft from you) is a steel door. It has a keypad on it, similar to those on your cells, but the symbols are not flashing randomly. There are nine symbols here.

Anyone with language (dwarven) or language (elven) or who can pass a insight (30) check.
The symbols are the imperial numeric runes, numbering one through nine. This means this keypad requires a numeric code to enter the door the traditional way.

Kasmania
2013-04-11, 08:02 PM
Upon turning the corner and sighting the door with the keypad, Amber lets out a soft chuckle. "Silly dwarves and elves, they think no one in here can read imperial runes? Naive, naive, that's just a numerical pad, anyone could tell that," she comments quietly to her fellow party members, keeping her voice from carrying.

She pads lightly up to the door, this time actively searching for any signs of traps or possible hazards.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-11, 08:10 PM
Khararth-zuul replied scornfully.

"The numeral systems of your world are beneath my concern. All that is important is that can you discern the correct sequence."

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-11, 08:14 PM
The door has one of the familiar shock probes, similar to the one in your cell. This one is very well designed, but is completely mechanical in nature. You do not think entering a code will trigger it, merely trying to force the door or messing with the locking mechanism. There is also a magical trap laid into the panel. You hazard a guess that if you enter the wrong code too many times, and alarm will sound, alerting the guards.

Kasmania
2013-04-11, 08:58 PM
"If I were smart enough to do that outright, I'd have done it already~" Amber retorts lightly. She examines the door and locking mechanism, thinking a moment, before attempting to manipulate the system.

Thievery: [roll1]

With the thievery roll, Amber will attempt to unlock the door outright, bypassing the numerical keypad system. If this is impossible, she will instead scan the keypad for fingerprints, or other indicators as to what the combination could be.

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-11, 09:21 PM
Amber touches two connections that she shouldn't, and a strong electrical jolt goes through her body, singing her badly ([roll0]). Luckily, no alarm sounds (at least that you can hear). The keypad now only shows five runes, the numbers 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9.

Kasmania
2013-04-11, 09:40 PM
"Bloody-!" Amber exclaims out in pain as she's shocked, and recoils back from the door. Looking at the numerical pad now showing fewer numbers, she laughs humorlessly. "Seems like I've got no luck with locks today. Maybe you guys can figure something out instead." She retreats a few feet from the door to attend to her wounds.

Amber spends a healing surge to heal. Current HP: 64.

Infernally Clay
2013-04-12, 07:51 AM
"I'm starting to think maybe someone doesn't want us to leave," Telen smiled as he watched Amber hobble off to lick her wounds, "Now let's see if I can't decipher some hidden meaning..."

History: [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-12, 08:42 AM
Telen recalls that one commonality the dwarves and elves share was a love for numbers and numerical sequences. They both are interested in natural occurring phenomenon in numbers as well, such as perfect squares, powers, and the like.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-12, 08:56 AM
"Such patterns are the cornerstone of magic and ritual casting as well. What did you say those numbers were? Hmm..."

Arcana - [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-12, 09:06 AM
Kharath-zuul senses a magical resonance in the keypad.

1 has resonance with 3 and 4
3 has resonance with 5 and 7
4 has resonance with 9 and 5
5 has resonance with 7 and 9
7 has resonance with 1 and 4
9 has resonance with 3 and 1

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-12, 09:54 AM
Kharath-zuul ponders the discovery for a while.

"Well if we trace the resonance all the way around each path we could have...

1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 4 - 9... back to 1 - 4 - 5 - 9 - 3 - 7... and end at 1.

But then I could also follow 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 4 - 9... with 3 - 7 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 9 and end up back at 1.

I think you can start at any number and make a similar circuit though, so circuit would require more information...

Perfect squares. 1, 4, 9, 49... nope, not seeing anything beyond that.

I think we'll need more clues to solve it."

Infernally Clay
2013-04-12, 10:02 AM
"Then let's look again..." Telen sighed.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-12, 10:08 AM
Kharath-zuul tried to take both pieces of information that they had learned and see if there might have been something significant about these numbers by the cultures responsible for building the prison in light of the resonance he detected. Maybe these numbers stood in place of words, that is something he reasoned was popular for creating a mnemonic.

History - [roll0]
Insight - [roll1]

OOC - If we have time during this to spend healing surges, Kharath-zuul will spend a surge to heal back to 80/80 hp.

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-12, 11:27 AM
Thinking about it, you realize that odd numbers are a sequence as well, and there may be more mathematical important properties that some of these numbers may have in common.

Examining the panel again, you notice there are four grey boxes above the runes. There are no runes on the boxes.

Angel Bob
2013-04-12, 11:42 AM
"Hmph," Trox grunts. "Numbers." Although he leaves the brunt of the reasoning to the half-orc and wizard, it would be pertinent to try and offer some aid. "Well... I can see there are some odd numbers, but then 4 throws the pattern off. What else?"

1 has resonance with 3 and 4
3 has resonance with 5 and 7
4 has resonance with 9 and 5
5 has resonance with 7 and 9
7 has resonance with 1 and 4
9 has resonance with 3 and 1

If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Trox sighs and applies what little mathematical knowledge he has.

"Let's see if simple arithmetic can't give us any answers.

"3, 5, and 7 are connected. The difference between 3 and 5 is 2; 3 and 7, 4.

"The difference between 4 and 9 is 5; 4 and 5 is 1.

"Between 5 and 7, 2; 5 and 9, 4. Hey... that sounds familiar.

"Between 7 and 1, 6; 7 and 4, 3.

"9 and 3, 6. 9 and 1, 8.

"...And that's not even taking addition into account. Well, I hope it helps," Trox grunts, then backs off to try and shake off his headache.

Drakeburn
2013-04-14, 09:17 PM
"I believe you did well, but I cannot say that yet." Gach sighed as he patted Trox on the back.
"Hopefully it'll all pay off soon enough."

Angel Bob
2013-04-17, 02:51 PM
Trox continues to muse on the subject. It's a stretch, but maybe, just maybe, some revelation will occur to him.

...Nothing comes to mind.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-19, 07:40 AM
"Well...

1 leads to 3 and 4, but 3 and 4 is 7.
3 leads to 5 and 7, 5 and 7 is 12 and 1 and 2 is 3.
4 is 9 and 5 which is 14. 1 and 4 is 5.
5 is 7 an 9 which is 16 or 1 and 6 is 7
7 is 1 and 4 which is 5.
9 is 1 and 3 which is 4.

So.

1 -> 7
3 -> 3
4 -> 5
5 -> 7
7 -> 5
9 -> 4.

Starting the pattern at each number...

1 7 5 7
3 3 3 3
4 5 7 5
5 7 5 7
7 5 7 5
9 4 5 7

Well, only the last one has 4 distinct digits.

So..."

Kharath-zuul tries 9 4 5 7.

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-19, 01:46 PM
The panel flashes for a moment, before a red X appears above it. No alarm sounds, but that was clearly a wrong answer.

The four boxes are now colored. the first two are red, and the last two are green. You guess this is a response to you entering the sequence.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-19, 01:51 PM
"Hmmm... Well it could be that simple."

Kharath-zuul decides on the simplest sequence he can think of with the 5 and 7 left in place and tries 1 3 5 7 next.

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-19, 10:46 PM
The keypad turns completely green, and the door's lock clicks open.

Infernally Clay
2013-04-20, 09:27 AM
"Impressive," Névtelen said, opening the door and walking through.

Angel Bob
2013-04-20, 06:20 PM
"Now how come I couldn't think of that?" Trox grumbles as he follows the others through the door.

Drakeburn
2013-04-20, 10:15 PM
"Something tells me you've spent too much time on the battlefield, or in this prison." Gach replied, revealing a smirk. Then he quickly changed back to his usual expression.
"We should be close," Gach whispered, looking ahead to see if he could notice anything.

Kasmania
2013-04-20, 10:55 PM
Amber merely smirks slightly as Kharath-zuul unlocks the door, before hauling herself to her feet and lightly padding her way through the now open door.

tigerusthegreat
2013-04-29, 08:04 PM
Beyond the door is a small room with several lockers. Each has your name on them. They open easily enough, and contain all of your possessions that you had when you were arrested. They may be racist pigs, but at least the beaurocracy of the Empire means everything is kept with impeccable record-keeping.

Angel Bob
2013-04-29, 09:07 PM
Trox grins widely, displaying large and jagged teeth, as he drops his father's amulet of protection around his neck and subsequently grabs his suit of black iron armour. After donning it with pleasure, he plucks up his wicked spear, from which tattered scraps of red cloth hang -- the remnants of a Sixty Skulls war flag. Finally, Trox straps his thick iron shield to his arm, the six goblin skulls carved into its surface grimacing at all others in the room.

"Magnificent," he grins, nearly breathless. "Come, my comrades -- don the gear of war and join me in an uprising against our overlords!"

Infernally Clay
2013-04-30, 06:46 AM
"Well this is convenient..." Telen said, checking there are no traps before he grabs his gear.

Thievery: [roll0]+13 = 16

If he doesn't see anything worth worrying about, he'll grab his stuff and leave.

"An uprising? No thanks, I have other plans. Now where was that guard? I haven't killed something in far too long."

Son_of_Meepo
2013-04-30, 07:45 AM
"I would never grant them the status of lords over me. But they do deserve to burn for their insolence and they shall tremble before me."

Grabbing his gear, Kharath-zuul (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhjAqJkIDA) prepares to take his revenge on the prison, the Empire, and then the world.

Kasmania
2013-04-30, 02:48 PM
Amber pauses as she looks at her gear sitting in the locker. "Didn't want to have to use these again, but if needs must..." she mumbles under her breath to herself, almost inaudibly. With nothing more but a brief sigh, she slips on her bracers, gloves, and a small golden locket around her neck.

As she pulls on her leather jerkin, it shimmers for a moment, briefly making it difficult to discern Amber from the locker behind her. A dagger appears in her hand- and is gone the next, cleverly concealed somewhere upon her person. Finally, she pulls on a pair of boots, and with more adept stride than before, moves back outside the room.

"Well, I suppose since the only other way available is through that other hallway, we'll have to take out that sentinel. Unless you fellows feel up to the task of sneaking past it." She reveals a light-hearted grin, but with a hint of discomfort below.

Angel Bob
2013-04-30, 06:50 PM
"Does this hobgoblin armour look stealthy?" Trox sneers. "Sneak past it if you're feeling cowardly. I, for one, will face that sentinel head-on and tear it to pieces! I trust my fellow hobgoblin will aid in this endeavour?"

Infernally Clay
2013-04-30, 06:54 PM
"Who needs to sneak?" Telen laughs, "I bet its hide isn't as tough as mine."

KnightSteve
2013-05-06, 08:52 AM
"It's about time I get my stuff back. How much I have missed it." He grabs out his armor, crown, and cape. He then grabs his thieves' tools and backpack with its gear. Soishnak turns to the others "Let's get out of here."

Angel Bob
2013-05-06, 11:46 AM
"Very well, then. Time to move," Trox grunts. Shield and spear at the ready, he exits the storage chamber and moves purposefully down the hall.

Son_of_Meepo
2013-05-06, 02:33 PM
"Well, no use hanging around then. After you." Kharrath-zuul motions the way forward in a mock show of courtesy. It obvious he'd rather others go first.

KnightSteve
2013-05-06, 07:04 PM
"Magic user, I will stick back with you and watch for trouble from behind if there is any." Soishnak takes his spot near the rear of the group happily watching out for trouble.

Kasmania
2013-05-06, 07:39 PM
Amber takes a brief glance at Kharrath-Zuul and Soishnak, her face inscrutable, before closely following after Trox, clearly intending to maintain a position close to the front of the party.

Angel Bob
2013-05-10, 02:40 PM
As the others file out behind him, Trox boldly strides down the corridor, weapons at the ready. "Come at me, then!" he bellows. "Let's see how well you do in a fair fight!" Letting his call echo off the metal walls, Trox listens for any sign of the guard's approach.

Perception:

[roll0]