PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Psion Mindwright

CIDE
2013-03-22, 06:01 PM
So, making an alternate character for one likely about to die in a coming game. Transparency rules are in play and I was looking at using the Mindwright Archetype for the Psion that specializes in crafting and gives item creation feats in place of disciple powers.

Currently level 6 party close to leveling. I was assured by the DM and another player who has access to an unrevealed bit of wealth that money for crafting shouldn't be an issue at all.

Not an exceptionally high optimization level. But what can I get away with? What would be some of the best bets and tactics? Maybe the optimial choices on powers to make the widest variety of stuff?

All Pathfinder material and SRD are available.

avr
2013-03-22, 09:58 PM
You get a couple of free item creation feats by this level. The only valid choice for the first is Scribe Scroll (which creates power stones). If you're going to invest a non-free feat you'd probably want to get Craft Wondrous & pick Craft Wand with the free feat, if not choose one of those for the free feat.

I think dorje's can be created with metapsionic powers baked in the same way wands can be created with metamagic baked in. This lets you get around the limitation of using up psionic focus each time you use metamagic. Also, a dorje of vigor created at manifester level 6 is an obvious thing to have on hand.

Psyren
2013-03-22, 11:06 PM
The main reasons for going mindwright are:
1) Free crafting feats (note that these are in addition to your regular psion bonus feats, which can also be crafting feats, but you'll probably want to use those for metapsionics or something instead.)
2) UMD as a class skill, giving you a better shot at using the things you can make:
3) Efficient Artisan for money/time-starved campaigns.

Now, #3 is probably the main reason I would go mindwright at all, but it sounds like you'll have plenty of time and dough to do your crafting, so #3 has less impact on your campaign. Another potential issue to be aware of is that UMD is still based on your Cha (which is probably going to be middling to low), and you also get no special ability to take 10 on it. Third, you're stuck with the Generalist list. Finally, you get no ability to craft with UMD checks like Warlocks/Artificers do, meaning you'll have to collaborate on (or find items of) any item whose requisite powers you don't personally know, including discipline powers (several of which, like Psychoport, are exceptionally useful in item form.)

Based on all that, I would personally go with an Artificer Wilder instead of a Mindwright Psion. They also get free crafting feats and UMD, but they are Cha focused and get wild surge too. In addition, they can surge through the items they make, effectively turning every stone and dorje you make into a psicrown.

Now, the Mindwright capstone is interesting - but like all base class capstones in Pathfinder you'll probably never get to use it, so don't build with that in mind either.

icefractal
2013-03-22, 11:17 PM
There's a fun trick you can do with this, although you have to be a bit higher level. The 4th level power Psychic Reformation will let you switch any of your powers and feats known. So not only can you switch your powers to whatever you need for crafting, you can even pick off-list powers by switching one of your feats to Expanded Knowledge.

Between Overchannel (or Wild Surge) and items (Orange Ioun Stone, Torc of Power Preservation) you should be able to augment it to the "penalties only last 8 hours" stage right off the bat, so just manifest it before resting. In a few more levels, you'll be able to augment it enough to do it on the fly.

This is particularly useful for a Wilder, as it really helps with their small number of powers known.