PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Another question on Dhampir and Channel Negative Energy

Crustypeanut
2013-03-22, 08:48 PM
Hey guys. I have a wee question regarding the title - I have been so far unable to find the answer, though if someone has already asked this question (and has had it answered), I'd be happy to learn of the response.

Dhampir - They're healed by Negative Energy, hurt by Positive. So, Inflict Light Wounds heals them, Cure Light Wounds hurts them. Simple enough to understand.

But.. what about Channeling Negative Energy? Now, before you say anything about only healing undead or harming living, heres the specific question I wish to bring to light:

When choosing to Affect Living Creatures with the channel energy, normally this Negative Energy burst harms them - it only affects living creatures, and most living creatures are harmed by this negative energy. But, since its affecting a Dhampir, it heals them, while simultaneously harming every other living creature in that area, right?

Just like if channeling Positive Energy to affect Living Creatures (i.e., Heal them), then any resident Dhampir are hurt by it, yes?

So, say a group of Dhampir Fighters and a single Dhampir Cleric of Generic Big Bad Evil God #32 are holding the line against a bunch of.. oh lets say Elves. The Cleric can simultaneously heal his allies and harm his enemies by simply choosing to affect the living with his negative energy, right? Dhampir are alive, just healed by negative energy.

I'm just clarifying this, as I've seen everyone focus entirely on "Oh you can only choose to harm the living or heal the undead" when people speak of Dhampir. Thats not what i'm asking, as the rules specifically say "Affect the Living or Affect the Undead."

Thanks for any replies! (Please reply, otherwise I'll be sad)

Keneth
2013-03-22, 09:21 PM
First of all, when channeling energy you don't simply choose positive or negative.

You have four options:

Use positive energy to harm undead.
Use positive energy to heal the living.
Use negative energy to heal undead.
Use negative energy to harm the living.

Since Dhampir have negative energy affinity, they are affected by channeled energy as if they were undead.

This option harms them.
This option has no effect on them.
This option heals them.
This option has no effect on them.

Crustypeanut
2013-03-22, 10:00 PM
I knew you didn't simply choose positive or negative and I never said I did. Basically I listed the exact same things as you did except for a minor variation of wording:

Positive Energy to affect the Living
Positive Energy to affect the Undead
Negative Energy to affect the Living
Negative Energy to affect the Undead

Channeling energy causes a burst that affects all creatures of one type (either undead or living) in a 30-foot radius centered on the cleric.

So for this, I'm no longer considered part of the 'living', even though my character is still 'alive'?

Negative Energy Affinity: Though a living creature, a dhampir reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead—positive energy harms it, while negative energy heals it.

The original Channel Energy ability does say "Heal the Living or Harm the Undead" and vise versa for its choices - but it was written before, and probably never modified to include - living creatures that heal as undead.

Or, is it that, it doesn't care that the character is 'alive' and considered 'living', but instead targets it like any other undead?

Which brings me to another question - You're able to target yourself or exclude yourself when channeling energy - it never says specifically that you cannot include yourself when channeling negative energy to harm the living - which means, if you include yourself when doing that, you heal, since you're hitting yourself with negative energy - right?

Now, the Death Domain 8th level ability is also unclear in a way -

At 8th level, you heal damage instead of taking damage from channeled negative energy. If the channeled negative energy targets undead, you heal hit points just like undead in the area.

Why would it say you heal instead of take damage from channeled negative energy, if, the second sentence says, you are healed when you target undead with negative channeled energy? If you're targeting undead with negative channeled energy, you, as a living person, would not normally take damage from the channeled negative energy.

Unless it means that, as a living person, you are affected by channeled energy meant to harm the living, but you heal from it. If thats the case though, couldn't it be the same way for Dhampir?

There are too many contradictions and unclear specifications, it seems.

Keneth
2013-03-22, 10:24 PM
Or, is it that, it doesn't care that the character is 'alive' and considered 'living', but instead targets it like any other undead?

Ok, so what you're proposing is that the ability targets you as a living creature, but affects you as undead, effectively switching options 1 with 2 and 3 with 4? It makes just as much sense as far as I'm concerned, but needlessly complicates things. Ultimately it's the GM's choice, I use my method because it's simpler: You are both targeted and affected as an undead creature because the ability provides no distinction between the two.

Which brings me to another question - You're able to target yourself or exclude yourself when channeling energy - it never says specifically that you cannot include yourself when channeling negative energy to harm the living - which means, if you include yourself when doing that, you heal, since you're hitting yourself with negative energy - right?

By your proposed method, yes. By my proposed method, no.

Unless it means that, as a living person, you are affected by channeled energy meant to harm the living, but you heal from it. If thats the case though, couldn't it be the same way for Dhampir?

It means that you heal in both cases; When you would otherwise take damage, as well as when undead are healed. And no, it doesn't work the same way for a Dhampir. One of those options will invariably ignore you unless you have this domain power.

Crustypeanut
2013-03-22, 10:53 PM
Alright.. its just not well worded in some spots which makes it a bit confusing.
Thanks for your assistance, even if the answer is less-satisfying than I'd hoped.

Also, Treantmonk is the one who got me confused on the matter -

The sheer power of this ability combined with a Phylactery of Negative Channeling is hard to convey in words, so I'll try to set up a scenario for you. Imagine a level 8 Cleric in a hallway with Ogres streaming in from both sides. His two NPC compatriots hear the sound of carnage coming from upstairs, where the rest of the party is fighting to their deaths. "Go help the others. Nothing will pass while I yet draw breath," the Cleric says. 30 Ogres later, the Cleric is still alive. Why? 6d6 damage to all the ogres, 6d6 healing to himself. Get this if you are a Malice cleric.

From his guide to domains. Unless, this guy is alternatively channeling to harm living and heal the undead - which makes sense, now, but wasn't clear in the guide.

Keneth
2013-03-22, 11:30 PM
Why is that confusing? He's harming all living creatures, including himself, and the ability allows him to heal rather than take damage.