PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, PRC, Peach]Umbral Devotee

Volfogg
2013-03-22, 10:19 PM
Hi All,

In a previous post I was looking for some shadow themed homebrew and was lucky enough to receive a plethora of excellent replies as well as advice, however. I was stuck trying to hammer out a prestige class for an NPC that my group encountered. After a number of rough starts I was finally able to cobble together something that could pass as a prestige class. Although, in all honesty, I think it's pretty darn terrible. For this reason I am posting it here in the hopes of receiving some helpful feedback. The basic premise is an individual which binds a portion of the plane of shadow to himself in order to augment his body and abilities. Please note this is a work in progress.

Original Version:UMBRAL DEVOTEE

Through a terrifying, and sometimes fatal process, the individual binds a portion of shadow to their very essence. The process strains the mental capacity of most individuals as the bound shadow-stuff exerts a small, yet acute sense of murderous intent. It is unknown whether this is a problem with the process or its just a byproduct of the procedure. Some have gone so far as to say that the darkness, which is bound to the Devotee's soul, is itself a malevolent and savage entitiy.

Requirements
To qualify to become a umbral devotee, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

BaB: +4
Skills: Intimidate 6 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 4 ranks, Stealth 8 ranks.
Feats: Iron Will.

{table=head]Level|BaB|F|R|W|Special

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Ebon mask, gaze of ineffable darkness

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Sudden strike +1d6

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Umbral flesh

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sudden strike +2d6

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Umbral fortitude

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
The umbral devotee’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local), Perception (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Stealth (Dex).
* Please note that we use the Pathfinder skills.

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

CLASS ABILITIES

Ebon Mask(Su): As a move action the character is able to expel liquid darkness from his eyes. The expeled shadow stuff cloaks his visage in a nightmarish veil of gloom and darkness which hides the character's features. The veil also grants the character a bonus on Intimidate checks equal to his umbral devotee level.

Gaze of Ineffable Darkness: The character's eyes are destroyed by the darkness that now exists within his body. Instead his eye sockets are home to two baleful black orbs of dark energy. This transformation grants the umbral devotee darkvision 60'. If instead the character possesses darkvision already, his range is increased by 60'.

Sudden Strike: As per the ninja ability.

Umbral Flesh(Su): The umbral devotee's body constantly leaks shadowy rivulets and streamers which causes the outline of the character's body to constantly shift and waver. This effect grants the umbral devotee concealment as well as the ability to hide in plain sight - that is, you can use the Stealth skill even while being observed. See the ranger class feature, page 48 of the Player's Handbook.

Umbral Fortitude: So much of the character's body has been integrated with shadowstuff that he is now able to, 25% of the time, negate critical hits against him. This ability otherwise functions as the fortification (light) armor property. Another benefit granted by his shadow infused body is the mitigation of certain biological needs. From this point forward the character needs to eat only a single meal per week as well as requiring only 1 hour of sleep (but you must still rest for 8 hours to regain your spells/mysteries/etc for the next day).

Completed Version:
UMBRAL DEVOTEE

Through a terrifying, and sometimes fatal process, the individual binds a portion of shadow to their very essence. The process strains the mental capacity of most individuals as the bound shadow-stuff exerts a small, yet acute sense of murderous intent. It is unknown whether this is a problem with the process or its just a byproduct of the procedure. Some have gone so far as to say that the darkness, which is bound to the devotee's soul, is itself a malevolent and savage entitiy.

Requirements
To qualify to become a umbral devotee, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

BaB: +4
Skills: Intimidate 6 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 4 ranks, Stealth 8 ranks.
Feats: Blind-fight, Iron Will.

{table=head]Level|BaB|F|R|W|Special

1st|+1|+0|+2|+2|Cloak of Shadow, Cold Creep, Darkvision

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+3|Low-light Vision, Sudden Strike +1d6

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+3|Swiftness, Shadow Shift

4th|+4|+1|+4|+4|Greater Low-light Vision, Sudden Strike +2d6

5th|+5|+1|+4|+4|Umbral Flesh, Hide in Plain Sight

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
The umbral devotee’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowlegde (planes) (Int), Perception (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Stealth (Dex).
* Please note that we use the Pathfinder skills.

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

CLASS ABILITIES
The following are the class abilities of the umbral devotee.

Cloak of Shadow (Su): An umbral devotee can cloak her form in shifting shadows. This ability provides her with a variable amount of concealment depending on her level. While her cloak of shadow is active, attacks against an umbral devotee have a miss chance equal to 15% + 5% per class level (to a maximum of 40% at 5th level). Darkvision and low-light vision offer no help in piercing the cloak of shadow, although any creature that can see in magical darkness can ignore the miss chance, as can a creature with true seeing. A umbral devotee can dismiss or resume this effect as a free action. While her cloak of shadow is active, a umbral devotee can make Hide checks as if she had concealment. Cloak of shadow doesn't function in daylight, and it is the equivalent of a 3rd-level darkness effect for the purpose of interacting with light spells.

Cold Creep (Ex): An umbral devotee gains cold resistance equal to 5 + her class level, which stacks with all other extraordinary sources of cold resistance. She also gains a racial bonus on Intimidate and Stealth checks equal to 1 + her class level.

Darkvision: An umbral devotee gains darkvision equal to 10 ft. + 10 ft. per class level. If she already has darkvision, its range increases by the same amount.

Low-light Vision: At 2nd level, an umbral devotee gains low-light vision, which improves to greater low-light vision at 4th level, allowing her to see four times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. If she already has a form of low-light vision, the abilities stack according to the rules of adding multipliers.

Swiftness (Ex): At 3rd level, all of an umbral devotee's movement speeds increase by 10 ft.

Shadow Shift (Su): An umbral devotee of 3rd level can avoid potentially fatal attacks by momentarily converting her body into a mass of shadow energy. This ability otherwise functions as per the rogue evasion class ability, except the character can do so even while wearing medium or heavy armor. This ability is suppressed in natural daylight or within the radius of a daylight spell or similar effect.

Umbral Flesh (Su): At 5th level, an umbral devotee has a 25% chance to negate any critical hit scored against her. This ability otherwise functions as the fortification (light) armor property. In addition, from this point forward she needs to eat only a single meal per week as well as requiring only 1 hour of sleep (but must still rest for 8 hours to regain her spells/mysteries/etc for the next day).

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): At 5th level, the umbral devotee may use the Hide skill even while being observed (except in natural daylight, the area of a daylight spell, or a similar effect).

Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome! Like I already mentioned this is a rough draft. I am keenly aware that it needs improvement .... alright, a lot of improvement in order to make it a fully functional prestige class. Hopefully with the help of the folks around here I can turn this into something worth playing. Thanks!

Edits

Increased skill points to 6 per level.
Please see "spoilered" finalized version for complete prestige class.

Cheers
Volf

Quiddle
2013-03-23, 05:47 PM
I like the flavor but its kind of weak right now. I advise giving it a dimension door effect at fourth lvl. How much concealment does shadow/umbral flesh give(its listed as one thing in the table but another in the class features)? The final ability is lackluster and should be stronger. How about giving the class an ability that interacts with intimidate at second lvl?

Andion Isurand
2013-03-23, 06:06 PM
I would give it more skill points or a spell casting progression every other level.

How about having the class slowly grant the devotee the Dark template (which includes darkvision and hide in plain sight)?

I would borrow the Cloak of Shadow ability from the Shadowcraft Mage for your concealment needs.

An ability to see in magical darkness might be nice too.

Volfogg
2013-03-24, 11:56 AM
I like the flavor but its kind of weak right now. I advise giving it a dimension door effect at fourth lvl. How much concealment does shadow/umbral flesh give(its listed as one thing in the table but another in the class features)? The final ability is lackluster and should be stronger. How about giving the class an ability that interacts with intimidate at second lvl?
Thanks for the corrections as well as suggestions Quiddle! Concealment grants the standard 20% as per the normal rules. Please see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#concealment) for the specifics. I am not sure dimension door fits the theme of the prestige class. The class is basically replacing bits of the character's body with shadow energy. What about the ability to turn into a shadow (something akin to the gaseous form spell) for a certian amount of time per day? In regards to the final ability; I was thinking about increasing the fortification to 50% in an attempt to make it a little bit more stronger.

I would give it more skill points or a spell casting progression every other level.

How about having the class slowly grant the devotee the Dark template (which includes darkvision and hide in plain sight)?

I would borrow the Cloak of Shadow ability from the Shadowcraft Mage for your concealment needs.

An ability to see in magical darkness might be nice too.
Increased skill points. Check! Gonna steer clear of the spell casting progression as I don't feel that the class is really aimed at such characters. The ability to see in magical darkness would be spiffy. I am just not sure where to fit it in. I wonder if I could roll that into the Gaze of Ineffable Darkness ability?

Please note that I have updated the skill points and corrected my table error.

Thanks for the help so far. :smallsmile:

Cheers
Volf

Andion Isurand
2013-03-24, 03:23 PM
Here's a suggestion to add traits from the dark template, as well as some skirmish.

Special
Cloak of Shadow, Cold Creep, Darkvision
Low-light Vision, Sudden Strike +1d6
Swiftness, Skirmish +1d6
Greater Low-light Vision, Sudden Strike +2d6
Umbral Flesh, Hide in Plain Sight, Skirmish +2d6

Cloak of Shadow (Su): An umbral devotee can cloak her form in shifting shadows. This ability provides her with a variable amount of concealment depending on her level. While her cloak of shadow is active, attacks against an umbral devotee have a miss chance equal to 15% + 5% per class level (to a maximum of 40% at 5th level). Darkvision and low-light vision offer no help in piercing the cloak of shadow, although any creature that can see in magical darkness can ignore the miss chance, as can a creature with true seeing. A umbral devotee can dismiss or resume this effect as a free action. While her cloak of shadow is active, a umbral devotee can make Hide checks as if she had concealment. Cloak of shadow doesn't function in daylight, and it is the equivalent of a 3rd-level darkness effect for the purpose of interacting with light spells.

Cold Creep (Ex): An umbral devotee gains cold resistance equal to 5 + her class level, which stacks with all other sources of cold resistance. She also gains a racial bonus on Intimidate and Stealth checks equal to 1 + her class level.

Darkvision: An umbral devotee gains darkvision equal to 10 ft. + 10 ft. per class level. If she already has darkvision, its range increases by the same amount.

Low-light Vision: At 2nd level, an umbral devotee gains low-light vision, which improves to greater low-light vision at 4th level, allowing her to see four times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. If she already has a form of low-light vision, the abilities stack according to the rules of adding multipliers.

Swiftness (Ex): At 3rd level, all of an umbral devotee's movement speeds increase by 10 ft.

Umbral Flesh (Su): At 5th level, an Umbral Devotee has a 25% chance to negate any critical hit scored against her. This ability otherwise functions as the fortification (light) armor property. In addition, from this point forward she needs to eat only a single meal per week as well as requiring only 1 hour of sleep (but must still rest for 8 hours to regain her spells/mysteries/etc for the next day).

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): At 5th level, the umbral devotee may use the Hide skill even while being observed (except in natural daylight, the area of a daylight spell, or a similar effect).

Volfogg
2013-03-25, 11:37 AM
Here's a suggestion to add traits from the dark template, as well as some skirmish.

Special
Swiftness, Skirmish +1d6
Umbral Flesh, Hide in Plain Sight, Skirmish +2d6

Cold Creep (Ex): An umbral devotee gains cold resistance equal to 5 + her class level, which stacks with all other sources of cold resistance. She also gains a racial bonus on Intimidate and Stealth checks equal to 1 + her class level.

Umbral Flesh (Su): At 5th level, an Umbral Devotee has a 25% chance to negate any critical hit scored against her. This ability otherwise functions as the fortification (light) armor property. In addition, from this point forward she needs to eat only a single meal per week as well as requiring only 1 hour of sleep (but must still rest for 8 hours to regain her spells/mysteries/etc for the next day).

Gotta admit that I am very impressed Andion Isurand! It's a simple and straight forward interpretation of my original intent. So, if lets say I dropped the skirmish damage could I grant the class full bab without it becoming to overpowered. I also came up with a spiffy little ability that I would like to incorporate:

Dark Discorporation (Su): An umbral devotee of x level can avoid potentially fatal attacks by instantly discorporating their body into a mass of shadow-like energy. This ability otherwise functions as per the rogue evasion class ability, except the character can do so even while wearing medium or heavy armour.

Would it be possible to add in the above ability and/or full bab without making the class to uber?

Thanks for all the great help so far Andion Isurand.

Cheers
Volf

Andion Isurand
2013-03-25, 02:47 PM
Special
Swiftness, Shadow Shift
Umbral Flesh, Hide in Plain Sight

Cold Creep (Ex): An umbral devotee gains cold resistance equal to 5 + her class level, which stacks with all other extraordinary sources of cold resistance. She also gains a racial bonus on Intimidate and Stealth checks equal to 1 + her class level.

Shadow Shift (Su): An umbral devotee of 3rd level can avoid potentially fatal attacks by momentarily converting her body into a mass of shadow energy. This ability otherwise functions as per the rogue evasion class ability, except the character can do so even while wearing medium or heavy armor. This ability is suppressed in natural daylight or within the radius of a daylight spell or similar effect.

Umbral Flesh (Su): At 5th level, an umbral devotee has a 25% chance to negate any critical hit scored against her. This ability otherwise functions as the fortification (light) armor property. In addition, from this point forward she needs to eat only a single meal per week as well as requiring only 1 hour of sleep (but must still rest for 8 hours to regain her spells/mysteries/etc for the next day).

Full BAB would probably be alright... non-casters need nice things.

I would add Knowledge (planes) to the skill list, since its one of the prerequisite skills, along with Disguise and Sleight of Hand.

Volfogg
2013-03-26, 12:12 AM
Special
Swiftness, Shadow Shift
Umbral Flesh, Hide in Plain Sight

Full BAB would probably be alright... non-casters need nice things.

I would add Knowledge (planes) to the skill list, since its one of the prerequisite skills, along with Disguise and Sleight of Hand.
... and we're done! Some mighty good homebrewing Andion Isurand! I will update my first post with the finalized version of the prestige class.

Cheers
Volf

Quiddle
2013-03-26, 12:36 AM
Looks better, good job.

Quiddle
2013-03-26, 06:14 PM

Is this additional speed supposed to add to 5 ft steps?

Andion Isurand
2013-03-26, 06:45 PM
No, a 5 ft step almost always remains the same despite a change in creature's speed.