PDA

View Full Version : Liberator Squadron 1: First Strike

Sossrim
2013-03-22, 10:37 PM
The converted freighter Windblown is packed and noisy, fifty people and thirty-two astromechs aboard a vessel designed to comfortably transport ten. The passengers take turns sitting on the few chairs and the edges of the bunks, while the table in the lounge is occupied with games of dice to determine who gets to sit in the gun turret, where it's possible to actually lie on your back and stretch your legs, for the next ten minutes. It's an odd mix of professional Special Ops types, green farmboy idealists, and rugged fringers, but all are pretty friendly with each other, offering congratulations and a hearty slap on the back whenever someone wins the coveted seat.

For the most part, the pilots blend in. Richter, Ranas, and Xamol don't look much different from most of the rest, and get the same sort of camaraderie, invited to try their luck at the game and offered a seat every so often when they look tired of standing. People aren't so sure what to make of Thanas; he's allowed a seat on his own, and no one ever asks to have it. Everyone knows whose side he's on now, but remembering that he's killed people not so different from them dampens the mood, so they mostly stay away. What interactions he does have are polite, but clipped.

After the three random jumps required by Alliance protocol to disguise base locations, the ride gets rough as the Windblown plunges into the Kanlev Nebula. The place's evil reputation clearly hasn't been much exaggerated; ion lightning flashes ominously outside the viewports, briefly illuminating the purple-red gloom of the cloud, and asteroids float up out of the darkness to menace the ship. Everyone gets quiet, watching and waiting. When Agitator Base finally comes into view, the pilot is treated to a hearty cheer.

The base is indescribably ugly, "the kind of thing only a Nemoidian would try to sell you," one of the troopers jokes. Built into a deeply cratered asteroid that is alternatively rough and smooth seemingly at random, with durasteel towers and walkways running over it like a scaffold of needles, it hangs lazily in the void, spinning slowly on an uneven axis. The silhouettes of three corvettes, barely visible in the gloom, stand sentinel around it, and several starfighters make close passes by the Windblown before allowing it to approach one of the hangars.

As the ship sets down and the ramp hits the deck plating, the crowd of stiff-legged passengers make their way out, stretching and yawning. At the bottom of the ramp stands a uniformed Rodian, his big dark eyes moving rapidly between a datapad in his hand and the faces of the new arrivals. He salutes each one, clicking the heels of his polished boots together as his hand reaches his brow at a practiced angle, then indicates one of the doors out of the hangar. Quiet and efficient, he soon disperses the crowd, leaving only the four pilots who had been crammed to the back.

"Captain Droiv, Flight Coordinator," he says in clipped basic. "Welcome to Agitator Base." He extends his sucker-tipped saluting hand to shake with the newcomers.

Rane126
2013-03-23, 08:39 AM
Ranas

Ranas waits patiently on board the Windblown for the opportunity to disembark. Although getting off the cramped freighter would be welcome, many of the troopers have heavier equipment loads than the lightly packed pilot and it makes sense to let them move first. As the throng thins, the duros wiggles his duffle bag out from the corner it was stuffed into and slings it over the shoulder of his flight officer's uniform. Although he's been flying for years and appears older than many of the other alliance recruits he is oddly proud of the shiny wings attached to his tunic.

As he descends the boarding ramp he looks around the hanger bay, his eyes coming to rest on the uniformed rodian at the foot of the ramp. Approaching he offers a crisp salute and then his hand, "Flight Officer Ranas Viridux reporting for duty sir."

RandomLunatic
2013-03-23, 02:23 PM
The swirling colors of the nebula provided a welcome distraction from Thanas's own thoughts. And made the base look even uglier by comparison.

But soon enough the flight was over. Thanas collected his duffel bag and headed down the ramp. At the foot, he offered the captain a formal salute-whether out of force of habit or desire not to shake sucker-tipped hands, he was not consciously sure. "Flight officer Thanas Renek. Reporting as ordered, sir."

Philistine
2013-03-23, 04:11 PM
It had been a long trip for FO Xamol Herrick. The small, boyish-looking figure with the brand-new Flight Officer's rank tabs on his collar had barely spoken on the way in, unwilling to shout to make himself heard over the general din. Instead, he'd politely waved off invitations to join in the dice games and staked out an unoccupied corner at the back of the cargo hold. Dropping his heavy duffel bag to the deck, he'd used it as a makeshift seat during the run into Agitator Base. He'd been dozing lightly when the overloaded Windblown settled to the hangar deck with a clang; he roused himself as the ship emptied, running his fingers through his hair and hoisting his bag up to his shoulder once again while he waited his own chance to disembark.

Finally he steps down the boarding ramp and onto the station, and returns the Rodian Captain's salute. "Flight Officer Herrick, sir," he says, accepting the offered handshake just barely long enough to satisfy the minimum standards of politeness. "I'm looking for, ah, Liberator Squadron."

Sossrim
2013-03-23, 07:14 PM
"Welcome," Captain Droiv says again, nodding at each pilot in turn and pretending not to notice their discomfiture at the idea of shaking his hand. "You have found Liberator Squadron, Officer Herrick; you have spent the last several hours with half of it." He seems neither amused nor irritated; his voice is matter-of-fact, emotionless. He opens his mouth to say more when a shout from across the hangar distracts him. "We've unloaded the Civility, Captain, and it looks like we're short about half a... Oh! Sorry, sir!"

A young Zabrak woman, a lieutenant by her uniform, snaps to attention several meters away, her cheeks flushing scarlet as she realizes she has just interrupted a superior officer. "At ease, Lieutenant," Captain Droiv says dryly. "I'll be with you in just a moment. Gentlebeings, this is Lieutenant Sadue, our supply and personnel officer; please contact her with any material requests." Cheeks still burning, Lieutenant Sadue nonetheless manages a broad smile and a salute to the assembled pilots. "Welcome to Agitator Base. I'm sorry for interrupting."

Captain Droiv turns back to the last of the four pilots. "Now, where were we? Your name, Cadet?"

RandomLunatic
2013-03-23, 10:06 PM
Thanas returned the salute. "Lieutenant. How's the supply chain looking here?" One adjustment Thanas had yet to make was to the Alliance's perpetual shortage of nearly everything.

Thundercracker
2013-03-24, 10:16 AM
Slick

Richter sucked in his gut as best he could.

"Flight Cadet Richter Torvai, reporting for duty sir," Richter replied with his best salute. Never mind he was probably the oldest cadet in the fleet, he was going to do his best to impress.

Sossrim
2013-03-24, 10:49 AM
"Welcome, Cadet," Captain Droiv says with a nod and a further salute. "I regret to inform you that you will have little time to settle in; the Commander is concerned that the element of surprise may be lost without swift action. Your first briefing will be in one standard hour in conference room B. Until then, you are free to prepare your quarters, use the fresher, go to the mess hall, and whatever else you may need to do. I look forward to working with you." With a further salute, he turns crisply on his heel and departs through one of the main doors.

Meanwhile, Lieutenant Sadue offers Thanas a smile. "Same as everywhere, I'm afraid. Never enough bacta or repair parts or blaster packs, but we make do. Whatever the shortages, we'll make sure you're well-supplied; the fighter squadrons are key to the Commander's strategy. The support cadets will hate that, but no one promised a glamorous fight, and the rest of us are used to going without." Her voice is genuine, devoid of bitterness. Pulling out a datapad, she begins to check in the astromechs that arrived aboard the Windblown.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-24, 02:37 PM
"You wouldn't happen to know where we're billeted, would you Lieutenant?" Thanas asked. With that established, he headed for his quarters, tossed his duffel onto his bunk, and then hit the 'freshers. With that done, he went on a very brief walk-around to try and get the layout of the base down.

Nonetheless, he was in Conference Room B a full 10 minutes ahead of schedule, in full flight gear.

Philistine
2013-03-24, 03:04 PM
After introducing himself, Herrick had shifted to look over the other new arrivals. The one Human, something Renek?, looked old enough to be his father; he wondered how well the man's reflexes had held up. The other Human, Torvai, was even more puzzling - not just that he was old for his rank, but that a Cadet should have been sent to an operational posting. Something was definitely odd about this one. And then there was the Duros. He'd heard the species were natural pilots, though he'd only met a handful; something deep down inside him stirred awake, hungering to know how he measured up against the alien.

When the Captain dismisses them, he follows Renek to the pilots' quarters and slings his duffel onto an empty rack, then makes his way to the galley. It had been a long flight in, and he tears into the cold mid-rats with gusto. He leaves himself barely enough time to hit the refreshers and don his bright orange Alliance-issue flight suit before reporting to the briefing room, rushing through the door with less than a minute to spare, datapad in hand.

Rane126
2013-03-24, 04:58 PM
Ranas

Ranas follows along to the quarters and unloads his duffel bag onto a spare bunk. After the long flight he takes advantage of the freshers before donning his flight suit and heading to the briefing room. He nods to Thanas as he enters, helmet under one arm, the orange of the flight suit clashing with his blue skin. "Hi, I'm Ranas." he says.

Thundercracker
2013-03-24, 06:59 PM
Richter "slick" Torvai

Torvai did as instructed, finding his bunk, dropping off his few possessions, and changing into a flight suit.

He still had some time before the briefing, so he took a trip down to starfighter maintenance.

If anyone pays him any heed, he introduces himself and attempts to show his grattitude for all the hard work the crews do to keep the pilots alive and in one piece.

After that, he'll head to the briefing room.

Turned out, he was right behind Ranas.

"Richter Torvai," he said, extending a hand to first one, and then the other pilot, "but everyone usually calls me slick."

Rane126
2013-03-24, 07:04 PM
Ranas

Ranas takes the offered hand, "Slick? That sounds like there would be a good story behind it?"

RandomLunatic
2013-03-24, 07:14 PM
"And I'm Thanas," Thanas said in reply in a crisp Coruscanti accent. "Which isn't going to cause any confusion at all on the com channels." he chuckled.

Taking Richter's hand, he commented, "'Slick', huh? Usually you have to get out of flight school before you pick up nicknames like that."

Thundercracker
2013-03-24, 08:07 PM
slick

The thirty-something year old pilot smirked behind his beard.

"Yeah, there's an interesting story," Richter replied, "not a very exciting one though. Ask me again after our first mission and I'll tell ya."

He turned to Thanas.

"Yeah, well, what can I say," Richter replied, "ten years of flying, you pick up a few things. Wasn't a combat pilot like you guys... I flew prototypes for Sienar."

Might as well get it out now.

Rane126
2013-03-24, 08:29 PM
Ranas

"Siener? They make a lot of stuff for the empire. What kind of prototypes did you fly?" The euros speaks in a gravely voice, but seems genuinely interested.

Thundercracker
2013-03-24, 08:56 PM
Richter 'slick' Torvai

"TIEs, mostly," Richter replied, "they're always trying to figure out where they can squeeze a few credits of savings without the solar panels falling off."

He chewed his lip unconsiously and looked as if he was going to say more, but then changed tack.

"Right now they're working on ramping up production of a new design, an Interceptor," he said, "still unshielded though, morons."

RandomLunatic
2013-03-24, 09:22 PM
"I heard about those in the last few months I spent in the Navy. It's supposed to completely blow away the old slash-el-en. Then again, what doesn't? Both metaphorically, and, unfortunately, literally. Is that true?" Thanas asked.

"And yes, its true, I used to fly for the Empire. 3 years in TIE/sas, which I understand are more popularly known around here as 'dupes'."

Thundercracker
2013-03-24, 09:51 PM
Richter

"Yeah, they're faster, more maneuverable, and they have quad wingtip cannons instead of a pair of chin-mounted," slick replied, "but like I said before, still no shields, so one solid hit should take them out, and the Imperial pilots will all know it."

"You flew TIEs? In combat?" Richter asked, a newfound respect in his eyes.

Rane126
2013-03-24, 10:34 PM
Ranas

"If you have flown TIEs then you should have an advantage to share with us, what they are capable of in combat situations. I for one would appreciate any insights you can share."

RandomLunatic
2013-03-25, 01:40 AM
"Figures. The one thing," Thanas held up a finger for emphasis, "We're all asking for, and they still don't put it in.

"Still, I'd like to take it for a joyride sometime. I can't imagine something more maneuverable than the el-en.

"And yeah, I flew 'em into action. 37 combat sorties. I was young and foolish."

Thanas was hopeful so far. There seemed to be no signs of the animosity he had feared from the other pilots, which was the last thing he needed from his future wingmen.

He turned to address the Duros. "Like I said, I was a bomber pilot. I never flew the /ln variant outside the sims. So I can't tell you about any secret weak spots it has. Although, really, TIEs are pretty much all weak spot.

"What I can tell you is that Imperial doctrine views TIEs and their pilots as utterly expendable. Sometimes I think the brass views them more as weapons, like manned concussion missiles, than as starfighters. I imagine they get a real kick out of getting to 'fire' some of them twice.

"But the kicker is that they tell you this in so many words in training. As a result, the average TIE pilot is either insane or scared half to death. Xendor knows I was.

"Scared, that is. Petrified, really.

"But it is the above-average pilot you need to worry about. The basic TIE/ln is a really big pair of engines bolted onto a minimal spaceframe, and a good TIE jockey can run rings around both X and Y-wings. And nothing you can do will lose him. So don't get separated from your wingman in a knife-fight with TIEs, because you need to keep each other's six clear.

"But if your wingman can't help, then sometimes you can use his experience against him. Flying in straight lines is death in all models of TIE, so if you quit maneuvering, a veteran pilot might break off rather than press the attack and become an easy target himself. Or he might hammer your sternplate mercilessly." Thanas shrugged. "You'll have to use your judgement. Whatever you do, don't slow down too, or else you'll force him to press, since overshooting your target in a TIE is even worse."

"Luckily, our attrition rates are such that very few live long enough to become that good."

Thundercracker
2013-03-25, 01:52 AM
Richter 'slick' Torvai

"Oh yeah," Richter added, "the planning teams at Sienar took that into account."

"I saw the proposal myself: 'Impact of shield generators on equipment failure rates vs cost of training additional pilot resources'," he aaid.

He sneered.

"Big surprise the final decision just happened to be the one that keeps Sienar pumping out replacement ships without end," he said.

Rane126
2013-03-25, 11:59 AM
Ranas

Ranas listens to the experienced pilot's discussion of Imperial tactics with interest. Getting insight into the thoughts of a TIE pilot will, no question, have impact on any missions flown against them. "That's great information Thanas, thank you for sharing it. 37 sorties huh? I thought you said TIE pilots don't last long. You must have seen some things. Glad to have your expertise with us not them any more."

Philistine
2013-03-25, 12:06 PM
Not quite running late to the briefing, Xamol Herrick catches only the very last of Torval's words. "That's fine by me," he chimes in as he moves to take the nearest open seat. "Anything that lets me vape Imps, I'm in favor of it. And them flying lots and lots of little ships that can't take a hit?" he goes on, his youthful features twist into something between a grin and a snarl. "Well, that just means more dead Imps."

Sossrim
2013-03-25, 01:33 PM
As the pilots chat, the conference room begins to fill. A female Gungan with a deep blue-green skin tone, a tall and lanky Gran in a poorly-fitting uniform, a husky Klatoonian with skull facepaint, and a Zeltron with blood-red skin and obsidian hair in a neat bob trickle in gradually until the time for the briefing arrives. And then passes. As the chrono chimes fifteen standard minutes past the hour, the door finally slides open again to admit a tattooed Twi'lek woman, fairly gasping for breath. "Piss poor design... to put the conference rooms... so far apart," she pants quietly.

Seeing everyone looking at her, she draws herself up and straightens her uniform, then walks into the room with calm dignity as though all were going as planned. "Sorry for the wait," she says, her breathing finally under control. "Looks like you're all here, so we'll get started. I'm Commander Ulaniel, and I'm in charge of operations in this sector. The beings around you are your squadron-mates, so remember faces and names; you'll be counting on each other very soon." She taps the central holoprojector, and it whirrs to life.

"This," the Commander continues, pointing at the slowly rotating image of a pyramidal structure, "is Port Kariil. It's a skyhook in orbit over Skalokor, one of the moons of Yabosta and the homeworld of the last known species indigenous to Rocantor Sector. Thanks to COMPNOR's anti-alien rhetoric and the powerful human supremacist fervor that's been created, it's currently being used to sell that species into slavery en masse. These beings, the Dolandu, have every reason to be sympathetic to our cause, and we're certainly sympathetic to theirs. But to help them, and possibly get their help, we need to stop the slaving operation."

"Our spies have been working on a plan to take down Port Kariil; without the skyhook, their distribution center of sorts, operations on the moon will be hugely set back if not halted for months at least. An agent of the Bothan Spynet has been able to get aboard and simulate a reactor leak, forcing a full evacuation of the station; that means we can hit it without worrying about killing any Dolandu in the process." The diagram of the skyhook zooms in, displaying defensive emplacements and hangar bays. "Starfighter squadrons stationed on the planet and automated defenses will still be in the way, though."

"Liberator Squadron will go in with one of our corvettes, the New Day Dawning, with the objective of completely destroying Port Kariil. Your number one job is to keep the Dawning safe, but help it take the skyhook apart if you get the chance. The Sector Fleet is mostly out of the system, and we're synchronizing your attack with two other major strikes, so it should be a while before Imperial reinforcements arrive; if they do, you'll have to hold them off while the Dawning retreats. If it comes down to blowing the station or saving the Dawning, the Dawning takes priority."

"Questions?"

RandomLunatic
2013-03-25, 02:19 PM
"Yeah, I've seen things," Thanas said, suddenly looking and sounding very sad.

But he was spared from further trips down memory lane by the arrival of the Commander. A full 15 minutes late, which was all but unthinkable in the Imperial Navy. He sat through the briefing impassively, then raised his hand when the floor was opened for questions.

"What are our flight assignments and chain of command for this op? And what forces does the Empire have in the area?"

Rane126
2013-03-25, 03:30 PM
Ranas

Ranas raises a hand at question time, "Sir. Are we expecting civilian transports to be leaving the skyhook in the arena when we arrive? What does intelligence say about any Dolandu who were on the station before the simulated leak? Are there transports we'd want to liberate as well?"

Philistine
2013-03-25, 04:04 PM
As the questions begin, Herrick looks up from the datapad where he's been taking notes on the briefing. He jumps in during a brief lull after the Commander finishes answering another pilot's question, with, "How close in can we come out of hyper, and what kind of reaction time are we looking at from the ground-based fighters? If we could paste the skyhook before their fighters join the party, that'd free us up to give 'em a warm welcome."

Sossrim
2013-03-25, 06:32 PM
"I'll let Captain Droiv brief you on your squadron organization," the Commander replies. "As for Imperial forces in the area, we expect next to none aside from the ground-based fighters. The sector fleet will be recalled the moment they spot you, though, and we have no way of knowing exactly when they'll be able to respond to your attack in particular. All intel indicates that there should be plenty of time to accomplish your objective, but we can't know for sure."

She turns to Ranas and his barrage of questions next. "We expect the area to be clear, but if there are civilian transports it's imperative that you don't endanger them. COMPNOR will make this whole operation look bad as it is, so we don't want to give them a real reason. As for the Dolandu on Port Kariil, what we know is that they're taken there in groups of two hundred or so, shock collars and force cages. We don't expect to be able to free any of them in transit, but we have operatives on the ground who are positioned to liberate large numbers in the chaos following your attack."

Finally, she turns to Herrick. "We can't expect things to go that well, but I won't argue with it if you can manage it. The fighters won't be expecting you, so you should have some time. As for how close you jump, I'll leave that to the squadron and the captain of the Dawning; you'll have a chance to discuss it on the way. Closer means you can destroy the skyhook much faster, possibly before the Imps can react, but the Dawning will take more fire from the automated defenses."

"If you think you can disable them quickly, and keep the fighters away, then it's a good option. But remember: don't take risks with the Dawning that you can't back up in full. That ship is one of only three big ones we've got here, so we can't afford to lose it."

Thundercracker
2013-03-25, 07:15 PM
Richter

"Cadet Torvai, ma'am," Richter said, raising a hand, "what kind of automated defenses are we looking at, and will we be carrying any ordinance?"

RandomLunatic
2013-03-25, 07:18 PM
"And what exactly's the strength of the local fighter garrison?

"And for that matter, where's the rest of our strength?" Thanas asked, looking around the room. "We seem to be missing four pilots."

Philistine
2013-03-26, 05:51 AM
Herrick nods at the answers and frowns. "Sir, as long as we're talking about collateral damage - what's the target going to fall on after we clobber it?"

Sossrim
2013-03-26, 01:12 PM
"You'll be equipped with proton torpedoes," the commander replies, "but the station is unshielded, so the defenses should go down without them if need be. We're looking at turbolaser turrets studded across the hull, not much threat to the fighters but a big problem for the Dawning if they don't go down fast. We can't say exactly how many TIEs will come after you, but our agents on the ground will do our best to delay and stagger their response."

"As for the rest of the squadron," she says with a heavy sigh, "this is what we've got for now. Until we show results, High Command can't spare us anything more. If this operation goes well it's a good start on that." She nods at Herrick. "Good question. Our ground agents will work to get the area evacuated, but the skyhook debris may still be a problem. If you have time to intercept any, it would go a long way toward boosting our public image. That's low priority, though; we're undermanned for this Op already."

RandomLunatic
2013-03-26, 01:55 PM
"I see," Thanas said, turning his attention to holo, looking for weaknesses or blind spots in the skyhook's defensive grid.

[roll0]

Philistine
2013-03-26, 03:21 PM
Nodding again, Herrick glances down at his datapad. A blinking light signifies that the device has finished copying the briefing materials, and he scrolls quickly through a few pages before looking up again. "Do we have a force estimate on those Eyeballs, sir? If they throw the kitchen sink, what could they hit us with?"

Sossrim
2013-03-26, 04:12 PM
The Commander frowns, deep in thought. "We'll hope it doesn't come to that. There are probably two, maybe three TIE squadrons on Skalokor, and they shouldn't come at you all at once, but Yabosta is a fairly major planet. Intel says you should be long gone before any of the Yabosta squadrons show up, and you'd better be. They'll have bomber squadrons, maybe a light cruiser or two, and plenty of TIEs. Get in, get it done, get out, the faster the better. So long as you don't go too fast and take avoidable losses, of course."

Studying the diagram of Port Kariil, Thanas notices that the defenses are mounted exclusively on the upright sides of the pyramidal station. An attack from below would bypass the turrets entirely, but would force the squadron (and the corvette) to enter the atmosphere of Skalokor. This would make maneuvering more difficult, cause the TIEs on Skalokor to arrive much faster (though the Yabosta TIEs would be much slower), and place the corvette in danger if large chunks of the station fell on the moon.

Rane126
2013-03-26, 04:26 PM
Ranas

Ranas nods as the Commander answers his concerns and listens carefully to the other information. "Sir, it seems we should probably take a run at the automated defences and clear a hole in the screen for the Dawning to sit in and pound the station before the fighters arrive."

RandomLunatic
2013-03-26, 05:04 PM
"Or just in come in below the guns altogether," Thanas said, largely thinking out loud to himself.

"How much firepower is the Dawning bringing to the table?" he asked, looking back up at the commander. You could fight CEC-built hulls every day for a month and never see two with the same configuration.

Philistine
2013-03-26, 06:26 PM
Herrick's eyes widen at Thanas's suggestion, and he leans in toward the holographic display. "Below... where the repulsorlifts are that keep the whole thing in the sky?" he asks, something like eagerness in his voice. "Maybe we could just drop the thing, instead of sticking around to pound it into scrap - let the moon do the hard work for us."

Rane126
2013-03-26, 06:51 PM
Ranas

"But then we'd be dropping the whole thing on the moon below and all the collateral damage that would incur. Weren't we to do what's possible to intercept debris falling?"

RandomLunatic
2013-03-26, 07:32 PM
"He's right," Thanas said. "Blowing the repulsors would make the whole thing fall and cause massive damage to whatever was below. Including us. We need to break it into pieces that'll burn up on re-entry."

Sossrim
2013-03-26, 08:11 PM
"The Dawning is well-armed," the Commander replies. "It's been equipped with missile batteries to assist in piercing the station's armor. That leaves it vulnerable to fighters, but that's why we're sending you. As for dropping the station, consider it a backup plan. Destroying the place takes priority over intercepting debris, so if you're being overwhelmed and the Dawning needs to withdraw, take the shot if you have it." Looking tired, she glances around the room and nods.

"I'm afraid that's all I have time for. Captain Droiv will brief you on squadron organization. I hope to see you all soon; may the Force be with you." With that she salutes and departs at a near sprint, no doubt off to brief the third and fourth squadrons. Across the room, the Zeltron stands up and waves her hand through the holoprojector, a thoughtful expression on her face. "They don't exactly ease you into it here, do they?" She grins across the room at the four pilots she hasn't yet met. "I'm Kivva, by the way."

"Biiso," the Gungan jumps in, her basic clear and unaccented. "And these two are Taav Taro," she indicates the Gran, who gives a noncommittal shrug, "and Lakpan." The Klatooinian slaps a fist against his chest and nods his skull-painted head. "This'll be interesting," Kivva says with a wide smile that shows off perfect teeth. "Got your backs, though! I'm ready to make some eyeballs into fireballs." Biiso rolls her eyes, and it looks like Taav Taro would too if he were biologically able to. "I get worried when people are that cocky." The Zeltron just grins wider.

Thundercracker
2013-03-26, 08:28 PM
slick

"Richter Torvai," the cadet said, extending a hand to each of the new faces in turn, "but everyone usually calls me Slick."

"Who's going to be the flight leader?" He asked.

Philistine
2013-03-26, 08:45 PM
Herrick stands and turns to face the talkative Gungan and Zeltron. "Xamol Herrick," he says, pronouncing it ZAMM-ull HAIR-ick. "Ease you in? Are you all new to the squadron, too?" He grimaces - or maybe it's supposed to be a wry smile, and he's just really bad at it. "I don't know whether to be more worried that nobody here has flown together before, or relieved that we're not just making up numbers in a shot-up unit."

Rane126
2013-03-26, 08:54 PM
Ranas

Ranas stands as the commander leaves. He walks towards the other squad mates holding out his hand, "Ranas, pleased to meet you all."

RandomLunatic
2013-03-26, 08:56 PM
Thanas rolled his eyes too. First sortie was always the toughest. "And I'm Thanas Renek."

Philistine
2013-03-27, 12:20 AM
"Droiv was the officer who met our transport, right?" Herrick looks over the others who'd arrived with him. "Guess that means it's back to the hangar deck." He grabs his flight helmet, identifiable by its lack of personalizing markings, and heads for the hatch. Once outside he pauses, looking right and left, before turning back to the others to ask, "Umm. Which way is the hangar deck again?"

Rane126
2013-03-27, 09:49 AM
Ranas

Picking up his flight helmet and data pad, Ranas catches up with Herrick at the door. "This way to the flight deck," he says leading the way to the left.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-27, 02:25 PM
"We, uh, haven't been dismissed yet," Thanas said uncertainly from his seat. The Alliance was certainly not as big on discipline and protocol as the Imperial Navy, but it was not utterly devoid of either.

Sossrim
2013-03-27, 05:55 PM
"Depends who you're talking to," Biiso tells Herrick. "The squadron didn't exist until today, but most of us aren't new to the war. Except Kivva." The Zeltron just shrugs, still enthusiastic. "New to the Rebellion, sure. New to blowing up Imps, not so much. You'll be fine with me." Hands are shaken, names and faces memorized, and with a reassurance to Thanas that the briefing officer's departure counts as dismissal the group makes its way back to the hangar. Captain Droiv walks in at nearly the same time, looking nearly as hassled as the Commander.

"Good," he says, saluting everyone. "You're scheduled to depart in about ten standard minutes, so I'll be brief. First Lieutenant Bols," he says, indicating Biiso, "will be Liberator Leader for this mission. Her performance will be evaluated, as will all of yours, to see if she retains that position." He goes on to lay out each callsign: Lakpan is Liberator One, Thanas is Two, Herrick is Three, Taav Taro is Four, Kivva is Five, Ranas is Six, and Richter is Seven. One and the Leader will pair up, then two and three, four and five, and six and seven. "May the Force be with you," he says with a final salute.

And there they are, just across the hangar: six X-Wing fighters and two Y-Wing Longprobes, modified to their pilots' requests, sitting serenely on the filthy hangar floor like a flock of birds deigning to grace the ground with a momentary touch. A few technicians are clustered around them, readying the last of the fuel and herding a small swarm of astromech droids into position. Then they disperse, leaving only the pilots and their weapons. "Nothing like a new ship," Kivva murmurs, basking in the sensation. Even the surly Taav Taro seems alert and interested.

"Well, let's get to it," Liberator Leader says, already halfway to the cluster of ships.

RandomLunatic
2013-03-27, 07:52 PM
The chaos of the hangar bay was comforting in its familiarity. Thanas did even mind having to duck when an ordnance lifter abruptly swung around and nearly clocked him in the head with its rack of concussion missiles.

First thing he did as he approached the Redeemer was the walkaround. This was new to him-the Imperial Navy's ground crews were the ones responsible for flight readiness, not the pilots. And the ceiling-mounted launch racks TIEs used would have made such a thing rather pointless anyway. After verifying nothing looked wrong from the outside, he donned his helmet-still factory fresh-and climbed into the cockpit and began pre-flight.

When he finished that, he opened the comms. "This is Liberator 2. All systems green."

Thundercracker
2013-03-27, 07:52 PM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Richter's heartrate steadily increased as they walked to the hangar, until it was literally thudding in his ears by the time they were to board their ships.

Sure, he'd flown plenty of ships before, but this time, other pilots would be shooting at him. His stomach churned so badly that it was all he could do to nod at Ranas when he found they were to be wingmen.

Then it was time to go, and he clambered up into the cockpit, looked over the astromech on his way up, and strapped himself in, fumbling with his helmet before getting it right. He punched the controls to shut the canopy, and took a deep breath to steady himself.

Rane126
2013-03-27, 09:55 PM
Ranas

Ranas pauses as they enter the hanger bay watching the organized chaos. The bustling ground crew is reminiscent of his old job with Outer Rim Trading but with more ships. When the captain doles out the wing assignments he glances at Richter, noting the young man's strained nod.

When they break for their assigned ships he walks close to his wingmate and speaks low in his gravely voice, "Relax Kid. Stay close, keep your eyes peeled. We'll be fine." With a clap on the shoulder he splits off towards his own X-wing.

As he arrives he walks around the snub fighter, giving the systems a considered once over with his experienced eye. He tests several fittings, pleased to find them tightened down. Ducking under the nose he comes around to the ladder and climbs into the cockpit. He starts the power up routine with practised ease allowing several moments for the systems to warm up while he slips his helmet on and fastens the straps. Speaking into the internal comms system he says, "What is your designation?" Waiting for a short moment while the reply pops up across the screen in front of him he says, "R2-X7, pleased to make your acquaintance. Let's see what this girl can do." He keys the canopy closed.

After a few more moments, all the displays coming pleasingly into the green he replies to Thanas' report with his own, "Liberator six reporting all systems green."

Thundercracker
2013-03-27, 10:18 PM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

The green (both figuratively, and somewhat literally) pilot managed an unconvincing smirk and nod before he moved to his heavily customized and modified x-wing.

"Liberator 7, all green, standing by," he repeated, once the pre-flight sequence was complete.

Philistine
2013-03-28, 01:19 AM
Herrick approaches his newly-assigned mount with a skeptical eye. The Y-Wing Longprobe bears the hallmarks of a clapped-out old junker given a hasty refit and touched-up paint - hull panels of slightly different shades, rippling reflections from the harsh work lights of the hangar, and so on. He knows the signs well, having grown up around and aboard a ship which was in even worse shape, and as he walks around the fighter his pre-flight inspection reveals half a dozen obvious telltales. Though the engine note rises smoothly and evenly as the black-trimmed astromech warms them up, so... maybe that refit wasn't too hasty after all. The fighter's nose art catches his eye, and he smiles faintly at the image of a scantily-clad female with curved horns and batlike wings seated astraddle a proton torpedo, above the words "Hell's Belle." He touches his fingertips to his lips, then to the painted face on the side of the ship, and clambers up the ladder to the cockpit.

As he settles into the ejection seat and tightens down the straps on his crash helmet, he notes thankfully that the seat and controls have already been adjusted for his short stature. While the instruments come to life and sort out where in the galaxy they are, he toggles the comm to address the socketed astromech. "Xamol Herrick. How does it look back there?" An unintelligible series of whistles and beeps comes back, but a translation of the droid's reply scrolls up a monitor. "All right, R4. Let's go kill some Imps." The last few indicators finally show green and ready, and he switches over to squadron comms. "Liberator Three, standing by," he announces crisply.

Sossrim
2013-03-28, 12:56 PM
One by one the pilots report in, until there's nothing left to say; the time has come. As one the squadron lifts off, slipping silently through the field that separates the hangar bay from the depths of the nebula. And then it's all around them, swirling colors and drifting rock, a madman's fever dream of slow-moving chaos. "Stay close," Liberator Leader orders. "The rendezvous is at the edge of the cloud. Keep your eyes peeled for asteroids; there aren't any safe paths here, only somewhat less deadly ones."

To actually maneuver and react quickly in the Kanlev Nebula, as one would have to in a battle, would be a risky proposition. Visibility is so poor that even the tight formation the fighters hold fades from sight from one end to the other, and chunks of rock larger than cruisers drift relentlessly through the void. Whatever ancient act of birth or death created this place, it was an intense one. But the Rebellion is not careless with lives, and despite Biiso's warning Liberator Squadron evades its dangers for now. After a tense hour, the starry, open void looms beyond each cockpit again.

Over the comm, Kivva sighs with relief. "I can't believe we'll have to do that twice every mission!" "Easy on the chatter, Five," Biiso orders. "The New Day Dawning should meet us here momentarily." Sure enough, the Corellian Corvette stretches into existence within a few minutes; unable to maneuver well through the cloud or pulverize all the asteroids in its way, it has made a well-timed microjump along a carefully-cleared corridor. The ship is in near-perfect condition, its hull clean and bright and its missile batteries twitching in anticipation.

"This is the New Day Dawning," the captain's voice crackles over the comm. "We are prepared to make the jump to hyperspace. Are we going into the atmosphere, or taking on the station directly?" "What do we think," Biiso asks on the private squadron comm. "Do we go with Two's suggestion, or do we do this the old fashioned way?"

Rane126
2013-03-28, 01:41 PM
Ranas

While the flight through the asteroid field was tense, Ranas appreciates the opportunity to get the feel of the X-wing. An hour of manoeuvring under his belt he feels more comfortable with what it can do and when he'd be pushing limits.

The shiny white hull of the Dawning seems to glow against the backdrop of swirling colours in the nebula as it glides smoothly across the starfield. Ranas joins the other snub fighters in taking up escort positions around it.

"Lead this is Six, there's too much potential for collateral damage if we drop the whole station. The Imperials will have a field day in bad press for the alliance. I don't think we can afford that. My vote is doing it the old fashioned way."

RandomLunatic
2013-03-28, 05:00 PM
In the nebula

The astromech behind him chirped in its electronic voice. A translation rolled up a secondary monitor.

ENJOYING THE VIEW?

"Not really. There's too many rocks in the way. I don't think I caught your designation, by the way. What is it?"

R2-M4.

"That's a bit long. How about 'artoo'?"

ONLY IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO CALL YOU 'MEATBAG'.

"A simple 'no' would've sufficed, smarty."

THAT IS ACCEPTABLE.

"What is?"

'SMARTY'. YOU CAN CALL ME SMARTY.

"Great. I got an astromech with an attitude."

I GOT IT FROM YOU PILOTS.

"Say what you will about TIEs, at least they never back-talk you."

WHAT'S WRONG? CAN'T HANDLE IT?

Thanas rolled the fighter so its top faced a asteroid and he skimmed close, not more than 5 meters by his guess-just like making a strafing run along a capital ship's flank. "Whoa! You see how close that thing got? Of course, I probably don't have to tell you, seeing as how your head is the one sticking out the top of this thing and all."

ERROR: TRANSLATION NOT APPROPRIATE FOR YOUNGLINGS

But merciful silence reigned for the remainder of the trip, leaving Thanas to ponder why a military starfighter would have parental controls.

Outside the Nebula

"Now why didn't we do that?" Thanas asked as the Dawning reverted alongside the smaller snubfighters.

AND DENY YOU YOUR AMATEUR GEOLOGIC EXPEDITIONS?

"You know we have to go back through that on the return leg, right?" Further conversation was curtailed by the Squadron leader.

"Both," Thanas opined. "The Dawning reverts below the horizon and makes an atmospheric attack under the skyhook's guns at close range. Meanwhile, the fighters go to work on the turrets to clear a blind spot the Dawning can use so she won't have to be under the skyhook when it falls.

"The moon's garrison is only supposed to have Eyeballs, which are pretty hopeless against anything larger than a shuttle, so a single element of fighters should be sufficient escort. Reinforcements can be called down as needed-with the advantage of altitude, they can jump any bandits fairly easily."

Thundercracker
2013-03-28, 09:45 PM
Richter 'slick' Torvai

Richter kept his mouth shut while the others discussed the plan of attack. He'd never flown a combat mission before, and he was worried enough about whether he'd be able to match up against the Imperial fighter pilots without having to second guess an attack plan that was partially his own.

Better to just follow orders, at least for today.

Philistine
2013-03-28, 10:46 PM
Outbound through the nebula, Herrick tries to restrain himself from bursting out into inappropriate giggles... and is mostly successful. After a while a birdlike trilling comes over the intercom, prompting him to quickly glance at the monitor. "Nothing really, R4," he replies, immediately returning his eyes to scanning for hazards. "Just... this is fun, you know? I used to duck in and out of dust clouds like this to shake off pirates, even got around a couple of Imperial Customs Frigates that way. Never seen one this violent befo-whoops! Ha!" He breaks off for a moment as he pulls hard on the stick to avoid a suddenly-looming asteroid, and this time his laughter rings out to echo in the cockpit. "Wow! Did you see that, R4?" he grins. While he resumes station on Two, the astromech beeps faintly. "Okay, I guess it was a silly question. And - what? 'Raven'? Oh. R4-V9, Raven. Right. And tell me, did you come from the factory with that black chassis?" At the droid's affirmative chirp, he groans. "Of course you did. Who knew IA had a sense of humor?" 'Raven' whistles wryly as the ship speeds on through the eternally storm-tossed night.

After the rendezvous with the Dawning, he takes a moment to put his thoughts in order before pitching in his own two credits. "Liberator Lead, this is Liberator Three," he says on the squadron frequency. "We know Job Number One here is to bring ourselves back, especially the Dawning. Flattening the target is Job Number Two. And the Commander straight-up told us not to worry about collateral damage if that got in the way of those two: the Imp propaganda mill is going to have a field day with this no matter what. So hitting 'em from underneath, whether or not we take a crack at the repulsorlifts while we're down there, seems like it gives us the best odds of taking care of business."

Sossrim
2013-03-30, 08:56 AM
Biiso thinks a moment, then reopens the channel to the New Day Dawning. "We'll have you come out under the station, avoid the guns, until we can clear you a spot. Call when you detect TIEs and we'll be on them." "Confirmed, Liberator Leader. Jumping to hyperspace... now." The Corvette stretches, distorted, for an instant, then leaps ahead into the field of stars. Just behind it, the squadron follows, swallowed by the blue tunnel of hyperspace. There's no chatter during the short trip; even Kivva seems tense.

"Dropping out of hyperspace," Liberator Leader announces, and moments later the squadron reverts to realspace, a little power-down hum sounding from each hyperdrive. The rebel ships could not have jumped much closer; Yabosta looms outside their viewports, a pleasant, forested world dotted with gleaming cities. Just ahead, looming even larger thanks to proximity, is the moon Skalokor, equally forested but without any cities - or at least any large enough to be easily visible. The New Day Dawning vanishes around the far side of the moon, moving through the atmosphere to avoid letting the station take a shot at it while it gets into position.

And then Port Kariil comes into view. The skyhook is huge; it could fit the whole of the Dawning inside and have room to spare. The number of Dolandu slaves that must pass through its halls daily is staggering to think about. The great pyramid bristles with guns that track the movements of these new arrivals, though they remain out of range. "Warning," a robotic voice intones on a general channel. "There has been a reactor leak. All personnel must evacuate. Do not approach until the all-clear is given." After a few moments it repeats itself.

"Lock S-Foils in attack position," Biiso orders. "Remember, try to scrape off as many of those turrets as you can so we can clear a hole for the Dawning and not leave it unsupported down there. If you can find a key system, though, take the shot. We'll need all the help we can get to take down this beast." With that, Liberator Squadron prepares to engage...

Rane126
2013-03-30, 04:10 PM
Ranas

When the starfield reverts after the jump Ranas scans the sensors looking for immediate threats and to get a take on any traffic in the system. At the order to lock s-foils he reaches over the consol to toggle the control. The wings open into the signature X shape that give the fighter its name. Over the internal com he says, Ekseven, analyze the sensor data and implement friend or foe. Highlight the weapon emplacements on the station and prioritize any clusters." .

Over the squadron com he says, "Liberator six standing by."

Initiative [roll0]

RandomLunatic
2013-03-30, 05:47 PM
As the starlines shrank to distant points, Thanas dialed down the inertial compensator as his eyes quickly reviewed the gauges. Everything was still in order. Hearing the leader's orders, his hand reached out and flicked the switch for the craft's S-foils. He turned and looked over his shoulder, watching as the fighter's wings split and assumed the distinctive profile from which it derived its name. "Liberator two, standing by."

[roll=Pilot]1d20+20[/roll for Initiative

Also, for reference, his lasers are starting in the autofire setting.

Thundercracker
2013-03-30, 08:11 PM
Richter 'slick' Torvai

Richter checked his shields, weapons, sublight drive, targeting computer, everything seemed to be working fine.

Training took over, and he suddenly felt much less nervous as he pressed the button for his s-foils. The ship responded beautifully, locking into attack mode.

"Liberator Seven, standing by," he said.

initiative (pilot): [roll0]
Edit: I forgot, -5 for vehicle size, +7 for vehicle dex, so net +2 to the above.

Philistine
2013-03-30, 11:18 PM
Herrick spends the time in hyper reviewing the briefing materials on his datapad, looking for lines of approach to the defensive emplacements on the upper hull that would shield the Rebel fighters from as many other turrets as possible. A chime sounds one minute before reversion to realspace, prompting him to shut down the datapad and tuck it into the zippered pocket on his thigh. "All right, Raven. I want the shields up as soon as we drop hyper, then a full sensor sweep. If the Imps have any Eyeballs up, we need to know about it right away. Ready to go to work?" The droid's cheerful hooting is easy enough to understand even without the scrolling translation.

Then reality snaps back into focus. Herrick's fingers hover over the arming switches, letting him bring the fighter's weapons live the moment Lead gives the order; out of habit, he sets the bow-mounted lasers and the top-mounted ion cannons to rapid fire. The power linkages come to life with a whine that quickly rises to an inaudible pitch, and Herrick thumbs his transmitter with a coldly satisfied smile. "Liberator Three, standing by."

Use Computer (Operate Sensors): [roll0]
Spend two Swift actions to set both Laser Cannons and Ion Cannons to Autofire; Move action to pilot the fighter.

Sossrim
2013-03-31, 12:51 PM
The sensor sweeps reveal that space around the station is empty save for the rebel pilots themselves; it looks as if several maintenance shuttles have docked, but there are no life signs, so the repair crews are probably droids. It makes sense, given the fear of leaking radiation. "This is the Dawning. We're in position, ready to fire." Sure enough, the corvette is visible beneath the great pyramid, though distant and puny looking compared to the skyhook's massive bulk. "Confirmed," Biiso replies. "We're ready; open fire."

A swarm of pinpricks of light soars rapidly upward as the Dawning unleashes its missiles, and instantly every general comm channel is filled with Imperial alerts. "No more time. Liberator Squadron, engage! Hit those turrets hard and fast!"

RandomLunatic
2013-03-31, 01:19 PM
"Copy lead, two commencing attack run," Thanas said, pushing the throttles forward to the detents. "This is it, three," he said to his wingman. "Follow my lead, keep your wits about you, and we'll make through this, kid."

Thanas toggled over to the proton torpedoes. Only the port-side launcher blinked "ready" green-with only 6 torpedoes, he would have to make every one count. He aligned the reticule with the nearest cluster of turbolaser turrets and waited for a lock.

As he got closer, it did not come. The X-wing's target acquisition gear had nothing on the TIE Bomber's sophisticate fire-control system. "Hey Smarty, help this thing along, would you? And while you're at it, keep running scans of the skyhook. Let me know if good targets pop up." DONE. The reticule burned red as the lock tone sounded. Thanas pulled the trigger, now irrevocably branding himself a traitor to the Empire.

Smarty:
Standard: Aid attack roll, auto-success.
Move: Sensor scan of the skyhook for any weaknesses that might exist or develop: [roll0]

Thanas:
Move: Move to X4.
Swift: Activate Overwhelming Assault, nominating battery 3 as the target. Fishing for natural 20 to recover the maneuver: [roll1]
Standard: Attack run on battery 3. Move to T4, and shoot proton torpedo. Take a -10 penalty for overwhelming assault.

[roll2]
[roll3] *2=190, resolved @ -5 DR.

EDIT: Screwed the math up. Should have been +27 damage, so total is 150 damage, -5 DR

Rane126
2013-03-31, 04:24 PM
Ranas

"Lead this is six, roger starting my attack run. Cover me seven, stay tight.". Ranas accelerates the fighter towards the station keying the proton torpedo launcher active. As he begins his run he keys the internal comm, "Ekseven, shields up, lock on turret two." an affirmative beep from the astromech is followed by the shield display going active as the droid brings up the deflectors. The tone for target lock comes and Ranas looses a proton torpedo streaking towards the designated turret.

X7
swift: activate shields
Standard aid attack: auto success(?)

Ranas
Move:fly to aa 7
Standard: attack run turret 2 [roll0] 6bab, 3 int, 2 pilot weapon, 2 attack run, 2aid attack end at W7

Philistine
2013-03-31, 11:06 PM
Kid, huh? Herrick pushes his throttles forward, and the big scout bomber surges ahead. "Don't go worryin' on my account, Gramps. I'll be just fine," he replies disdainfully, as he sideslips the bulky ship onto an attack heading. "Raven, keep up the scan. I want to know right away when the Imps crash this party," he says over the intercom. As Liberator Two fires a torpedo into one of the northeastern towers, Herrick straightens out on a low-angle approach to the other. Engines roaring, he passes beneath Two and fires a single proton torpedo at the turbolaser emplacement on Tower Four.

Astromech Standard action: Use Computer (Operate Sensors): [roll0]

Pilot Swift action: Increase Speed: Take 10 (courtesy of Vehicle Focus) = 29, increases speed to 6 squares
Pilot Move action: Move from (AB,5) to (W,4)
Pilot Standard action: Attack Run: Move from (W,4) to (S,4) and Attack with Proton Torpedo: [roll1] for
Damage: [roll2] X2=90
ETA: 90 + 10=100 Damage
Liberator Three takes a -2 to Reflex until start of my next turn.

Thundercracker
2013-04-01, 06:35 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

"I'm with you six," Richter replied to his wing leader.

His astromech, R4, locked onto the turret indicated by Ranas as they broke formation from the rest of the squadron. The two x-wings accelerated towards their target, the orange-red glow of their engines flaring in the darkness of space.

As the station loomed larger, Slick let fly with a pair of proton torpedoes, one after the other. He mentally crossed his fingers and hoped his aim was as good as it was in the sims as the yellow glow of the torpedoes' engines faded into the distance, homing in on their targets...

Sossrim
2013-04-01, 08:11 PM
Proton torpedoes streak through the void as the squadron swiftly closes the distance, taking advantage of the turrets' momentary distraction. The weapons that destroyed the Death Star impact against the black-armored skyhook, sending up red flashes and leaving heat-buckled scars in their wake... save for the one from Liberator Six. Ekseven squeals in alarm as he realizes the danger: the torpedo has failed to leave the launcher, and could explode at any moment while still inside the X-Wing! Perhaps maintenance made a mistake after all!

Three of the turrets, each hit by the sudden attacks of two starfighters, are gone before they can swivel to fire. But the turret designated 2 is hit with only one, and when the blazing halo around it fades it's still standing, though badly battered. It snaps up with the sort of precision only top of the line droid systems can manage and fires off a blast at Liberator Two; the shot is good, and the turbolaser bolt shakes Thanas's X-Wing; if there were air to carry the smell from in from outside, his nose would be full of the scent of charred paint.

And even as he shakes off the damage, Thanas's scan comes back. Somehow, bit by flickering bit, the station's shields are coming back online... and Liberator Three is in just the right position to run right into them!

Ranas or his astromech had better do something fast to get rid of that torpedo; a mechanics or computer use check could work, but something more creative would also be interesting. Beware the natural one, folks.

Thanas's X-Wing takes ten points of damage, and his shield rating is down to 10.

Herrick had better get out of the way!

RandomLunatic
2013-04-01, 08:47 PM
Gramps? How old does he think I am? Thanas wondered. Then he caught a glimpse of the sensor picture. "The shields are coming up! Break three, BREAK!"

He did not get to see what result his warning had, for his sensors blatted another warning, this time of a targeting lock. He yanked back on the stick, feeling Gs push him into his seat as brilliant flashes of coherent light streaked beneath him. He weaved a bit to keep the droid gunner off-balance while moving closer towards the turret. Then he abruptly juked and raked the turret with a punishing fire-linked burst from the fighter's quad Tiam & Bak cannon.

Smarty:
Move: Scan the skyhook again: [roll0]

Thanas:
Move: Move to U6.
Swift: Switch Overwhelming Assault target to Turret 2.
Standard: Attack run on Turret 3. Move to T4, and shoot lasers. Take a -6 penalty for overwhelming assault.
[roll1]
[roll2]*2=150 148, since it is not point blank.

Status
HP 120
SR 15
Ref 17
Torpedoes: 5

Philistine
2013-04-01, 08:58 PM
Raven's panicked whistling and beeping fills the cockpit of Liberator Three. "I see it! I see it!" Herrick grunts, banking the ship hard to port and yanking the stick back. As his craft responds to his control inputs, he transmits to the rest of the squadron, "Liberators, this is Three. Target's shields are coming on-line now." The Y-Wing curves gracefully away from the skyhook - while not as spritely as her lither squadron mates, it is still a fighter when all is said and done. Herrick even has time for a snap shot at the tower which had fired on his element lead, and another proton torpedo lances out at the already-damaged Turret Two.

As a Reaction, Herrick will make a Pilot check to Avoid Collision: Take 10 = 29.
Move action to travel from (S,4) to (T,6)
Standard action to fire a proton torpedo at Turret #2
Attack: [roll0] for
Damage: [roll1] X2=104

Rane126
2013-04-02, 02:08 AM
Ranas

"What do you mean it didn't fire?" Ranas responds to Ekseven's blat of alarm. "See if you can get that firing pin to release!"

He keys the squadron line, I've got a problem here, seven give me some room, just in case." while Ekseven attempts to release the defective torpedo Ranas throws the fighter into a tight turn and enacts a series of jinks, kicks and switched rolls to shake it loose. As he passes the horizon of the south side of the station bringing the next turret into view he squeezes the trigger sending a stream of red light towards it.

Ekseven standard action mechanics to release the torpedo [roll0]

Ranas
Move fly to W11
Standard fly defensively to try and shake the torpedo loose, attack on turret 12 with laser [roll1]
Damage [roll2]*2 = 66

Thundercracker
2013-04-02, 08:35 AM
Ricther 'Slick' Torvai

"What happened Seven?" Richter asked.

He banked his ship wide of Ranos' ship and gunned the throttle, attempting to clear around the side of the station to get a clear shot at turret 12. Just as the turret came into view, he unloaded with a pair of heavy laser blasts.

atk: atk 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus -5 range +2 aid +1 upgrade = [roll0]
dmg: [roll]8d10+4[roll]x2

Sossrim
2013-04-02, 07:04 PM
Liberator Seven's torpedo finally clears the tube, Ekseven letting out a long, slow whistle of relief as he retracts the mechanical probes he'd extended to desperately fumble for a solution. The weapon joins a barrage of fire focused on the turret it had first been aimed at, but the mounted gun is demolished long before it reaches the station. It takes an errant course, spinning oddly as it flies, and slaps into the station's shields with a blue-green ripple as they suddenly come back online. "The damn sabotage failed," Kivva groans.

Liberator Three flies directly through the explosion, the X-Wing pulling up just in time to avoid splattering just as spectacularly against the shields. The abrupt, strenuous maneuver seems certain to tear off the S-foils in Skalokor's gravity, but somehow the sturdy little craft endures. "Damn," Liberator Five says again. "Two near misses, and we haven't even seen any fighters yet!" "Cut the chatter, we're doing fine," Leader cuts in. "Just keep it up!"

With the station now contained in a partially-oxygenated shield bubble, fires break out over its surface as the white-hot metal comes into contact with flammable subsystems. Yet they're still small scars, hardly more than scrapes on the skin of a behemoth. The shields shudder as the Dawning continues to pound away at them from below, and for a moment it seems the squadron can proceed unthreatened. A moment later, however, parts of the smooth black surface shift, and new devices emerge.

"This is the Dawning," comes the captain's voice, now carrying a note of worry. "We... seem to have a problem. They've locked onto us with their docking stabilizers; they're using them as impromptu tractor beams! They'll pull us into the field of fire of the intact guns!" "Got it, Dawning. Liberators, take out the projectors on our side! Overload the system! Do it fast, or they'll come after us!" Sure enough, the projectors move to track the fighters, seeking targets.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-02, 08:00 PM
"Whoa, bad intel-stop the presses!" Thanas remarked. Still, he was hopeful. With the shields up, the skyhook would not be an easy target. Now if a strong Imperial presence showed, they would have to withdraw, and Thanas would not have have to drop a skyhook into a populated city...

He worked the etheric rudder, walking laser fire down the skyhook's flank before breaking off his pass. Then he pushed down hard on the stick, pulling the Redeemer through a punishing loop and bearing back down on one of the stabilizers with a proton torpedo locked up and ready to go.

Smarty:
Move: Scan the skyhook again: [roll0]

Thanas:
Swift: Switch Overwhelming Assault target to lower tractor beam.
Standard: Darklighter Spin centered on the R7-S8 intersection, hitting both lower tractro beam and skyhook itself.
[roll1] to initiate. MANEUVER FAILS
Take a -5 penalty for Overwhelming Assault.
If Pilot check at least 25:
[roll2] -2 if intiate roll was less than 30
[roll3]*2=. +20 damage to tractor beam from overwhelming assault.
Move: Fly to X7.

REACTION:
Activate Segnor's Loop, targeting lower tractor beam.
[roll4]
Move to U8 and fire Proton torpedo.
[roll5]
[roll6]*2=132, -5 DR
Status
HP 120
SR 15
Ref 14
Torpedoes: 4

Philistine
2013-04-02, 08:35 PM
"Bad intel? Or really good intel - theirs?" Herrick retorts. He reverses course to drive straight in toward the southern tractor beam emplacement Two has taken under fire. "Tractor this in, Imp scum," Herrick whispers coldly, launching his third torpedo of the engagement at the newly-revealed tractor emplacement from almost rock-throwing range. As soon as the missile is away he climbs into a half-loop, then rolls upright again at the top as he rockets away to rejoin his element lead.

Raven: Use Computer (Operate Sensors): [roll0]

Standard action to make an Attack Run against (R,8)
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] X2= 104
Reflex defense reduced to 15 until the start of Herrick's next turn.
Move action to travel from (S,8) (post-Attack Run) to (W,8)

Rane126
2013-04-03, 01:32 AM
Ranas

Ranas echos Ekseven's relief as the torpedo leaves the tube and skews its way towards the station. "Misfire on a torpedo seven. We have it sorted now."

With the malfunction sorted out, Ranas stands the fighter on its s foils and pulls round towards the station picking up the new targets. "Lock on to that tractor emitter Ekseven." Crossing his fingers against another misfire Ranas launches another proton torpedo towards the target.

Ekseven
Standard action: aid attack
Move: operate sensors [roll0]

Ranas
Move: fly to v8 with liberator 7
Standard: attack tractor beam between destroyed turrets 1 and 2 [roll1]
Damage [roll2]*2 = 74

Thundercracker
2013-04-03, 06:24 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

"Good to hear, six," Richter replied, he formed up on Ranas' wing for an attack run on the same tractor beam, then peeled off to avoid collision with the shields and rejoined his wing leader away from the station.

swift: born leader, all allies gain +1 insight to attack until line of sight is broken.
standard: attack run= 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +2 aid +1 upgrade +2 attack run= [roll0]
dmg: [roll1] x2
move: attack run from U11 to S9, move action from S9 to V11
Edit: forgot the bonus for point blank shot, so should be +1/+1 for attack/damage.

Sossrim
2013-04-04, 09:21 AM
In an instant the lower tractor beam projector is annihilated, targeted by half the squadron and blown to pieces. "That did it, Liberators, good work," the Dawning transmits. "Resuming our bombardment; keep up the good work!" Below them, Kivva and Taav Taro capitalize on Richter's efforts against turret twelve, blowing it to pieces - but not before it fires. "I'm hit!" Kivva says, struggling to breathe calmly. But after a moment she breathes a sigh of relief. "Nothing serious, R4 is locking it down."

Yet as she and her wingman turn around to rejoin the rest of the squadron, she gasps again. "We've got company, TIEs incoming!" "Confirmed," Biiso replies. "The good news is, this is probably the only squadron they have on Skalokor. Let the dawning keep bombarding the station; we'll take out these TIEs." The Imperial squadron advances in tight formation, ready to set upon the scattered Rebel fighters and tear them apart, but Liberator One and Liberator Leader dive straight into their ranks to begin the dogfight.

Meanwhile, Thanas is having troubles of his own. His efforts to move close to the station in a daring attack maneuver go badly, but he manages to salvage the situation and fire a well-aimed torpedo. But as he banks up to head back to the squadron, the remaining tractor beam projector picks up on the shaky maneuver and reaches out to snatch him out of the void. Fastening itself around his fighter, it begins to pull him nose first on a collision course with the unyielding shields...

There is a flat DC of 25 to initiate a dogfight with a TIE; you do not take a -5 on this check.

Thanas's fighter is facing the tractor beam projector, so he may attempt to destroy it with his weapons. He may also attempt other, more creative solutions at his discretion.

Rane126
2013-04-04, 05:19 PM
Ranas

"Seven, we have a turret blind spot on the starboard side of the station for the Dawning, we need to support lead with those TIEs. Stay close, keep your eyes peeled, watch your six. Even out the deflector shields. I'm going in."

Ranas banks his fighter into a tight turn to face away from the station and facing the inbound enemy fighters. He closes on the lower formation, nearest himself and seven waiting till the last moment to fire a torpedo towards the formation.

"Ekseven, lock on to the lead TIE in the lower formation, lets light them up."

He follows quickly by attempting to intercept TIE8 and engage it in a dogfight.

Ekseven
Standard: aid attack

Ranas
Move: fly to Z11
Standard: attack TIE7 with proton torpedo [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]*2 =116 (Devastating attack: damage threshold considered 5 lower, Penetrating attack: damage reduction considered 5 lower)
Reaction: activate maneuver intercept on TIE8, pilot check vs. dc20 [roll2]
Pending pilot roll outcome for addition to pilot roll dc25 to initiate dog fight [roll3] 20 to initiate Intercept recovers all maneuvers, moves Ranas 1 square towards Tie8 to AA12 and adds 5 to the roll to initiate dog fight for 37.

Philistine
2013-04-04, 08:39 PM
Despite the Y-Wing's inertial compensator, Herrick is breathing hard after several seconds of violent maneuvering; the strain is audible in his voice after Kivva's warning. "How'd they get that close before we saw them, Raven?" he demands as his scope lights up with hostile blips. "Never mind - keep watching for Dupes, they'll be the real threat." But as he prepares to follow Two into the incipient furball, he sees Thanas's sleek X-Wing suddenly lurch and spin around, heading back toward the skyhook. His sensors reveal the problem: the unmolested tractor beam has locked onto his element lead. He reefs the bulky ship into a tight bank, keying his comm. "This is Three, I'm on that tractor beam. Cover me. Two, be ready to break away on my mark," he barks.

The massive engines scream as Herrick shoves the throttles forward again, and Hell's Belle rushes toward the embattled Liberator Two and the tractor beam emplacement beyond. He triggers another proton torpedo as he passes the X-Wing, sending it plunging down ahead of him. He continues his dive until the last second, then wrenches the controls to skim along the surface of the skyhook's shields. As he passes through the tractor beam, he transmits again, "Two, break! Now now now!"

Raven - Use Computer(Operate Sensors): [roll0], because a single squadron of TIE Fighters doesn't endanger the entire mission the same way a squadron of TIE Bombers would.

Swift action to Increase Vehicle Speed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15029617&postcount=103) to 7 squares for this turn
Standard action to make an Attack Run, firing from (T,7): Attack: [roll1] for Damage: [roll2] x2= 76 +(5x2) from Richter's "Lead by Example" talent (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15039410&postcount=109) 86
Move action to drop down and buzz the skyhook - light green indicates the path taken prior to interrupting the tractor beam, light blue the projected path afterward if Herrick doesn't get ensnared in turn
Pilot (Break the skyhook's lock on Two): [roll3]

Thundercracker
2013-04-05, 08:00 PM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Richter pulled back on his stick turning 180 degrees, the stars blurring before his vision, and jammed his throttle to race back to Ranos. His ship was now inverted, but that didn't make much difference in space.

"Okay, here we go," he muttered, drawing a bead on the wingman of the TIE Ranos was targeting and squeezing the trigger.

move: V10 --> Z10
standard: attack on Tie7
atk: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +2 aid +1 upgrade +1 PB = [roll0]
damage: [roll1]x2
swift: attack pattern zeta 9 (+20 shields, -1 die damage) pilot: [roll2]

RandomLunatic
2013-04-06, 02:09 PM
"What are you doing?" Thanas wondered out loud as his wingman flew past him, but not loud enough for the comm to pick up.

At the call to break, he pushed the stick hard over, then was slammed back into his seat as the tractor beam lost its hold and the snubfighter surged right towards the station. He flared hard to kill velocity, then rolled inverted and began a loop towards the dogfight. As his sights crossed over the skyhook, he exacted revenge by stitching the stabilizer with his lasers.

"Dawning, Two. We've got your blind spot ready." Then he switched to the private channel with his wingman as he leveled out in the direction of the developing furball. "Thanks for the assist, three. Now let's mix it up with some TIEs."
Smarty:
Move: Scan the skyhook again: (1d20+14)[17]

Thanas:
Swift: Switch Overwhelming Assault target to upper tractor beam.
Standard: Attack Run on the remaining tractor beam. Move to S6 and laser it, taking -6 for OA.
[roll0]
[roll1]*2=150
Move: Fly to W6.

Status
HP 120
SR 15
Ref 17
Torpedoes: 4

Sossrim
2013-04-06, 09:36 PM
Liberators Six and Seven react to the arrival of the enemy fighters with lightning speed, moving in tight formation to smash into the ranks of the TIEs. Ranas blows one to tiny pieces with a proton torpedo, leaving behind nothing larger than half a dented solar panel that spins wildly off into the void, while Richter rakes its wingman with blaster fire, punching through the cockpit and blowing the craft in half. Yet two more enemy fighters immediately take the places of their destroyed companions, pounding the Rebel fighters' shields with blaster fire.

Meanwhile Liberator Three, having only recently escaped a close encounter with the station's shields, turns his craft back toward them. Electric discharges jump between starship and energy barrier like sparks from two grating pieces of metal, and internal sensors blare wildly about the strain; Raven whistles in alarm. But a moment later the proton torpedo is away, flying in from so close to the projector that the explosion nearly catches the craft that launched it. And then Two and Three both fly away from the station like bolts from a blaster, straight toward the TIEs.

"That was spectacular, Three!" Kivva shouts, half laughing and half cheering. Behind them, the skyhook is silent; perhaps its systems on this side are truly spent this time. As Two moves in to engage two of the enemy fighters, she moves in beside him, her wingman breaking off to assist Liberators Six and Seven in facing their new opponents. Covering each other, Two and Five each blow a TIE apart in a hail of blaster fire, but once again another two Imp ships move in to oppose them, unleashing a hail of green blaster bolts that find their marks.

"Confirmed, Two," the Dawning transmits. "Moving to new position." The Corellian Corvette grows larger in every viewport as it rises out of the atmosphere. But Raven's sensors blare a warning almost too late as a second TIE squadron, using the curve of the moon and atmospheric interference to hide itself from scans, comes suddenly into view! "Never mind." Biiso says. "Looks like they have two squadrons on Skalokor. And one hell of a response time. And a way to hide their advance. Hang in there, Liberator Group; stick close together!"

That's fine advice for most of the squadron, but after his daring stunt Liberator Three is all alone as an entire wing of TIEs bears down on him, blasting away at his craft! Fortunately, the Longprobe's shields are tougher than most of its ilk, and absorb the punishment... for now. "Hang on, Three!" Kivva yells, but she can't shake the TIE on her tail to go help, and her own craft is starting to look the worse for wear. At that very moment the New Day Dawning breaks the atmosphere in a bath of fire, its missile batteries pounding away at the skyhook and leaving only ragged holes wherever it strikes. The battle intensifies.

And then Raven's long-range scan picks up Imperial reinforcements leaving Yabosta, numbers unknown...

Now that the Imperial technique of hiding using the atmosphere and curvature of the moon is known, all further reinforcements will have at least three rounds of warning. The next wave, from Yabosta, is currently three rounds away. The Dawning is estimated to pull apart Port Kariil in four rounds unless assisted with further damage to the station by the squadron. This can be accomplished by destroying the coolant subsystems, revealed by Smarty's scans.

Liberator Two is missed. Thanas must make a DC 30 pilot check or be locked in a dogfight with TIE 9.

Liberator Three takes 7 damage, and its shields are reduced to SR 15. Due to the tight formation of the TIE wing attacking Richter, he may hit TIEs 10-12 all at once with a single proton torpedo if he makes a successful attack roll against one; damage will be applied fully to each TIE.

Liberator Six takes 31 damage, and its shield rating is reduced to 10. Ranas must make a DC 27 pilot check or be locked in a dogfight with TIE 12.

Liberator Seven is missed. Richter must make a DC 21 pilot check or be locked in a dogfight with TIE 11. I think he can manage that :smallbiggrin:.

Philistine
2013-04-06, 10:42 PM
Herrick squeezes the trigger instinctively when the TIEs appear in front of him, expecting to fire the laser cannons in the bow. He hadn't changed the selector over from torpedoes yet, though, and a brightly glowing missile leaps out at the Eyeball in the center of the nearest flight group. As his sensors hoot accompaniment to the rain of emerald fire sizzling against his shields, and then against his hull, he rolls the fighter up onto its side and runs for the rest of the squadron.

"Shields, Raven!" he snaps over the intercom, then comms the squadron again. "This is Three. We've got more bandits inbound from Yabosta, estimate two-zero seconds out. Might be Dupes."

Raven: 3 Swift actions to Mechanics (Recharge Shields): [roll0] ...AND FAIL! DC is 20.

Standard action to Attack TIE 10B: [roll1] for Damage: [roll2] X2= 102

Swift action [b]Pilot (Increase Vehicle Speed):[/v] [roll3] to increase speed to 6 squares this turn.

Move action to break back toward the rest of the squadron - travel to (V,8).

ETA: Ship State
Flight Officer Xamol Herrick (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502481)
KOENSAYR BTL-A4 LP; Y-WING LONGPROBE
CALL SIGN: "Liberator Three"; NICKNAME/NOSE ART: "Hell's Belle"
Gargantuan Starfighter
INITIATIVE: +8; PERCEPTION: +12
DEFENSE: Ref 17 (flat-footed 13), Fort 26, +7 armor (+8 level), Vehicular Combat
HP: 113/120; DR: 10; SR: 15/25; Threshold: 47
SPEED: Fly 16 squares (1000 km/hr), Fly 4 squares (starship scale)
RANGED: Laser Cannons Attack +16 (+11 Burst Fire), Damage (4d10+4)X2 ((6d10+4)X2 Burst Fire) OR
RANGED: Ion Cannons Attack +16 (+11 Burst Fire), Damage (4d10+4)X2 ((6d10+4)X2 Burst Fire) OR
RANGED: Proton Torpedos Attack +16, Damage (9d10+4)x2, four-square splash ((10d10+x)X2 Fire-Link)
(NOTE: All weapons treat both DR and DT as 5 points lower)
FIGHTING SPACE: 4X4 OR 1 square (starship scale); COVER: total (crew), +5 (astromech droid)
BASE ATTACK: +6; GRAPPLE: +37
ATTACK OPTIONS: Autofire/Burst Fire (laser cannons, ion cannons), Fire-link (proton torpedos)
ABILITIES: Str 42, Dex 18, Con -, Int 20
SKILLS: Initiative +8 (+18*), Mechanics +12 (+14**), Perception +12, Pilot +18 (19 for Xamol Herrick, 16 for any other character; can Take 10), Stealth +18, Use Computer +12/+17 to operate sensors (+12/+17 to operate sensors**)
* Use Pilot rather than Initiative to determine turn order
** R4 astromech droid
CREW: FO Xamol Herrick plus astromech droid R4-V9 ("Raven"); Passengers: none
CARGO: 220 kg; CONSUMABLES: 1 month; CARRIED CRAFT: none
PAYLOAD: 3/8 proton torpedos
HYPERDRIVE: X1 (X12 backup), navicomputer
AVAILABILITY: Military; COST: 185000 cr (90000 cr used)
CUSTOMIZATION: Personalized Controls (+1 to skill checks for Xamol Herrick as Pilot; -2 for any other pilot to operate)

RandomLunatic
2013-04-06, 11:52 PM
"Sit tight three, I'm coming!" Thanas called, turning hard towards his wingman. But another TIE had other ideas, screaming in on an intercept course. Thanas declined a head-on pass out of force of habit, instead passing low underneath and then kicking the nose up into a high yo-yo that brought him around the other fighter's six. The reticule flashed green for a solution and he depressed the trigger, riddling it with his quad-linked lasers. As the eyeball exploded under the blistering assault, he idly wondered if it was anybody he knew. Probably not, considering the staggering size of the Imperial TIE Fighter Corps.

By this time, his wingman had already blown past him, out of danger, so he addressed other issues. "Smarty, gimmie a better read on those incoming reinforcements." LOOKS LIKE A STANDARD IMPERIAL SUPERIORITY SQUADRON OF 12 TIE/LN FIGHTERS, PERFECTLY VISIBLE. PERHAPS YOU NEED GLASSES? "Not those, you mechanical moron! The ones coming up from Yabosta!"

He switched channels. "Five, break right. Let's see if we can't scrape him off your six." He locked up her opponent and moved in to double-team the bandit.

Thanas:
Standard: Shoot the TIE 9.
[roll0]
[roll1]*2=98 damage, -5 DR.
Move: Fly the fighter. If TIE 9 destroyed, head to Y5. Else, just remain in place.
Swift: Stymie TIE 10's Pilot checks (-5 until end of next turn)

Smarty:
Move: Sensor scan the distant reinforcements: [roll2]
Standard: Aid Thanas's next Pilot check, auto-success.

Ref 19
HP 120
SR 15
Torpedoes 4

Since I am deliberately setting myself up as a target, I expect to draw a bunch of fire next turn. So I will use Snap Roll to protect myself as a reaction to the first hit.
[roll3]
The first critical hit will be countered by Vehicular Combat. Any after that will simply have to be toughed out.
[roll4]

Thundercracker
2013-04-07, 03:09 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Richter felt a surge of adrenaline as his lasers struck home, blasting the TIE fighter to pieces. His elation was short-lived, however, as two more took its place, one of them spitting green fire towards his craft. Luckily, he was still pitching slightly, causing the enemy's aim to go long. A quick juke, almost like a headfake, got the TIE pilot moving in the wrong direction, and he shifted back to his original trajectory to let fly with a pair of heavy laser blasts into the center of the TIE formation as they came across the nose of his x-wing.

standard: atk: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +2 aid +1 PB [roll0]
+FP [roll1] on Tie 11.
dmg: [roll2]x2
move: Z10--> AB9 (assuming all three TIEs are destroyed)

Rane126
2013-04-07, 10:13 AM
Ranas

Ranas demeanor settles into a focused concentration as the stars are filled with star fighters and lasers. He sees his wingman take out the Tie he was going to pull into a dogfight but does not have time to react as more fill the void, green lasers lancing towards him. Ranas reverses the roll of his snub fighter unexpectedly in reaction to one stream of incoming lasers allowing them to pass harmlessly under his belly. Others though splash across his shields.

Tie 12 attempts to drop into his six, but Ranas pulls back on the stick, climbing into an inverted roll and reduces throttle enough to send the Tie shooting through the space where he was located. He drops his nose, bracketing the Tie in his sights and squeezes the trigger on his lasers.

Not sure how many hits he took last round but ooc roll of 39 for vehicular combat will most likely negate at least one. I'll assume there was another hit at least on shields.

Ekseven
3 swift actions to recharge shields, mechanics: [roll0]

Ranas
Standard: attack Tie12: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]*2 = 70
Move action: fly star fighter to AB10 to link up with Liberator 7 again
Swift: Activate attack pattern zeta nine dc20: [roll3] for -1 die damage and +20 SR

Sossrim
2013-04-08, 08:59 AM
Launching a proton torpedo behind him to cover his retreat, Liberator Three falls back, never imagining the devastating effects of such a weapon against the tightly-packed formation of TIEs. Three of the craft are blown apart in an instant, leaving only drifting bits of wing behind. Yet the last of them doggedly pursues the escaping Y-Wing, blasting away at Hell's Belle in an effort to take revenge for its atomized wingmates. Herrick's ship rocks again under cannon fire, but at least he's reached a group of friendlies.

Meanwhile, his wingman Liberator Two blows apart the TIE he's been tangling with, slipping beneath and behind the enemy fighter before the pilot knew what was happening. Turning to the dogfight beside him, he runs interference for Liberator Five; after an encounter with the turrets, as well as several TIEs, the Longprobe is looking a little the worse for wear. "Thanks for the assist, Two," Kivva says, finally lining up her shot. She blows off one of her pursuer's solar panels, leaving the craft to twist wildly off into space before exploding.

"This is Leader, having some trouble here," Biiso transmits. Sure enough, the new wing has moved to box her and One in, using the same technique Thanas used to help Kivva. As Two moves in toward them, two of the TIEs pull off and come after him, loosing a hail of fire that spatters across his shields and grazes his hull. Lead and One are similarly pounded, unable to get to grips with their targets. "Three," Kivva whispers, "they might need help... but the coolant regulators are right there, so we could end this! I'll follow your lead."

Richter peppers TIE 11 with blaster fire, but though he leaves the craft smoking and battered it survives, pursuing him by moving between him and his wingman. Ranas blows apart his TIE, and Liberator Four (still silent) annihilates one before moving to help One. But soon the new fighter wing moves in to surround Liberator Seven as well, with the last wing on the way in to close the gap. These pilots are clearly better trained, and demonstrate it by working with their superior numbers to pick off the Rebel fighters one by one...

Liberator Two negates one hit with fancy flying, but takes 29 damage and drops to SR 10 from the second hit. Thanas must make a DC 29 pilot check or be locked in a dogfight with TIE 8B.

Liberator Three takes 3 damage (wow!) and drops to SR 10. Herrick could assist the rest of the squadron, but if he and Kivva each torpedo a coolant regulator the station would be destroyed next round.

Liberator Six takes no damage.

Liberator Seven takes no damage thanks to his shields. Richter must make a DC 35 pilot check or be locked in a dogfight with TIE 3B. If TIE 4B is destroyed, future pilot checks against TIE 3B will be easier.

Rane126
2013-04-08, 10:24 AM
Ranas

A bleep from Ekseven alerts Ranas to his wingman's condition, pressed by three Ties. The sensor board brackets the three offending fighters. Hold tight Seven, I'm coming in." Ranas orients his fighter towards his wingman's pursuers and rolls into a fast spin holding his finger down on the firing studs of his lasers. The X-wing spins, lasers spitting at the area of space filled with Tie fighters.

Ekseven
Standard Aid Attack

Ranas
Move: Fly to AD 10
Standard: Activate Darklighter Spin on squares AC8+9 and AD8+9- result from OOC 26
Attack [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]*2 = 52

Talents of note: Penetrating attack ignores 5 points of DR. Devastating attack considers DT 5 points lower.

HP 120
Reflex 19
SR 35 [Attack Pattern Zeta Nine]
Torpedos 3

Philistine
2013-04-08, 08:33 PM
Raven's beeping carries a distinctly frustrated tone, and Herrick responds in kind. "Just keep trying," Herrick snaps, as he reverses course with a half-loop to try to turn the tables on his pursuer. He makes a head-on pass, firing off a rapid-fire burst of crimson bolts from his laser cannons before banking away. A quick glance at his scope shows him what Kivva means, and he replies, "Roger that, Five, but let's cut down the odds a little first. Pick that one off of Seven's tail, then go for the south cooling tower." He turns east toward the furball after firing, hoping to intimidate at least one of Two's attackers into breaking off.

Raven: 3 Swift actions to Mechanics (Recharge Shields): [roll0]

Herrick: Standard Action to initiate an Attack Run vs TIE 12B. Attack (Burst Fire): [roll1] +5 (FP) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15054767&postcount=137)=23 for Damage: [roll2] X2=50, +1 for every 5 points by which the attack roll beats the target's Reflex. from (V,6). Damage ignores 5 points each of DR and DT. If damage exceeds target's threshold, target cannot attack and target's speed is reduced by 2 squares.

Move Action to pilot the ship to (X,4).

Vehicular Combat roll if needed: 1d20+19=1. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15054767&postcount=137)

Ship State
Flight Officer Xamol Herrick (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=502481)
Call Sign: "Liberator Three"; Nickname/Nose Art: "Hell's Belle"
Gargantuan Starfighter
Initiative: +8; Perception: +12
Defense: Ref 17 (Flat-footed 13) (Ref 15, 11 Flat-footed due to Attack Run), Fort 26, +7 armor (+8 level), Vehicular Combat
HP: 110/120; DR: 10; SR: 15/25; Threshold: 47
Speed: Fly 16 squares (1000 km/hr), Fly 4 squares (starship scale)
Ranged: Laser Cannons Attack +16 (+11 Burst Fire), Damage (4d10+4)X2 ((6d10+4)X2 Burst Fire) OR
Ranged: Ion Cannons Attack +16 (+11 Burst Fire), Damage (4d10+4)X2 ((6d10+4)X2 Burst Fire) OR
Ranged: Proton Torpedos Attack +16, Damage (9d10+4)x2, four-square splash ((10d10+x)X2 Fire-Link)
Fighting Space: 4X4 OR 1 square (starship scale); Cover: total (crew), +5 (astromech droid)
Base Attack: +6; Grapple: +37
Attack Options: Autofire/Burst Fire (laser cannons, ion cannons), Fire-link (proton torpedos)
Abilities: Str 42, Dex 18, Con -, Int 20
Skills: Initiative +8 (+18*), Mechanics +12 (+14**), Perception +12, Pilot +18 (19 for Xamol Herrick, 16 for any other character; can Take 10), Stealth +18, Use Computer +12/+17 to operate sensors (+12/+17 to operate sensors**)
** R4 astromech droid
Crew: FO Xamol Herrick plus astromech droid R4-V9 ("Raven"); Passengers: none
Cargo: 220 kg; Consumables: 1 month; Carried Craft: none
Payload: 3/8 proton torpedos
Hyperdrive: X1 (X12 backup), navicomputer
Availability: Military; Cost: 185000 cr (90000 cr used)
Customization: Personalized Controls (+1 to skill checks for Xamol Herrick as Pilot; -2 for any other pilot to operate)

Thundercracker
2013-04-09, 09:34 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Richter jerked and twisted at his controls, locked in a deadly furball with one of the TIE fighters. If he could get a clear shot at his adversary, it would be over quick. If not, those other fighters were closing fast...

hp: 140
SR: 60
Ref: 20
dogfight vs TIE 3B: opposed pilot check [roll0]
atk: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +2 aid +1 PB [roll1]

If opposed pilot survives Richter's attack and fails his opposed pilot roll, Skywalker loop: AoO: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +1 PB [roll3]
dmg: [roll4]x2

If opposed pilot survives Richter's attack and succeeds on opposed pilot roll, and anyone else rolls a natural 1 on an attack:
AoO: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus[roll5] (+1 in PB range)
dmg: [roll6] (+1 in PB range) x2

If Richter's vehicle is hit and damage exceeds 70 (does damage), Vehicular Combat: [roll7]

RandomLunatic
2013-04-09, 01:47 PM
Set upon by a wingpair of TIEs, Thanas broke hard towards one of them, forcing an overshoot. He rounded on the second, demolishing it with a quick burst of laser fire and then turned to assist the beleaguered leader.

Smarty:
Standard: Aid next Pilot check.
Move: Scan incoming reinforcements. 1d20=14

Thanas:
Move: Disengage from 8B. 32.
Standard: Shoot TIE 9B.
[roll0]
[roll1]*2=94, -5 DR
Swift: Stymie the Pilot skill of whoever Leader is dogfighting.

Status
HP 120
SR 15
Condition Normal
Ref 19
Torpedoes 4

[roll2]

Sossrim
2013-04-09, 09:14 PM
Liberator Six flies in to help his surrounded wingman, his ship spinning like a top as it hurls itself through the void, blasters blazing. The bright trails of energy scar the solar panels of two of the fighters, threatening to tear apart the weak superstructures of the Imperial fighters, but somehow they hold together. Having seen how little they're accomplishing against Liberator Seven's powerful shields, and with a new enemy pouring fire into them both, the two badly-damaged TIEs pull away to come after Ranas.

Kivva thinks for a moment about Herrick's words, then turns her ship toward the station. "Roger, Three," Kivva says, sounding somewhat disappointed. Since Seven is largely out of trouble, she moves in low and finishes off one of the TIEs Ranas damaged with his daring spin. Herrick, meanwhile, comes in for an attack run, strafing the TIE near his wingman; the fighter, taken by surprise, is promptly annihilated. Thanas, freed to act, moves in to support Leader, taking out one of the fighters menacing her along the way.

The rest of the incoming TIE squadron, however, pounces, moving to fill the gaps the Rebel pilots have blown in their formation. Liberator Three is still doggedly pursued by the TIE he damaged earlier, and another one moves in to menace him from sensor north; unfortunately, his efforts to dodge take him right into the path of fire! New fighters move in around Liberator Two as well, keeping up the pressure on Liberator Leader. And though Liberator Seven manages to get in a hit against his TIE despite being outmaneuvered, the stubborn craft holds together and fires back!

And scans indicate that a TIE bomber squadron is en route from Yabosta, closing fast...

Liberator Two is not fired upon. Nearby, Liberator Leader is taking a pounding, but so is his wingman!

Liberator Three has been surrounded and subjected to a withering barrage of fire. One TIE misses in the scuffle, but Three's efforts to dodge the others are ineffective! (The natural one strikes again! Herrick may not attempt a VC roll next round.) The ship takes 45 damage from the brutal assault, and its SR is reduced to 5.

Liberator Six is fired upon but missed.

Liberator Seven is fired upon for losing the Dogfight check, and (amazingly) his shields don't quite take it entirely. He takes a whopping six damage, and his SR is reduced to 55.

Thundercracker
2013-04-09, 09:46 PM
Richter "Slick" Torvai

Richter grunted as he felt the impact of a laser blast strike his ship. Blunted as it was through the shields, the blast drove home the seriousness of the situation.

"R4, see what you can do about those shields!" He said, sweat now itching uncomfortably under his helmet.

hp: 134
SR: 55 (60 after recharging)
DR: 10
Ref: 20

R4 recharges shields.

dogfight vs TIE 3B: opposed pilot check [roll0]
atk: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +1 PB [roll1]

Dogfight defense vs TIE3B (if necessary): [roll3]

If opposed pilot survives Richter's attack and fails his opposed pilot roll, and nobody rolls a natural 1 on attack: Skywalker loop: AoO: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +1 PB [roll4]
dmg: [roll5]x2

If anyone else rolls a natural 1 on an attack and Richter has not taken an AoO this round:
AoO nearest enemy: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus[roll6] (+1 in PB range)
dmg: [roll7] (+1 in PB range) x2

If Richter's vehicle is hit and damage exceeds 70 (does damage), Vehicular Combat: [roll8]

RandomLunatic
2013-04-09, 11:14 PM
"Hang on three!" Thanas called, whipping the fighter up and over to help his wingman. One he sent fleeing with some wild unaimed bursts of laser fire, then he bored in a second with deadly intent and lethal accuracy. "Lead, I'm reading dupes, full squadron, closing fast! If we can't blow the port, we need to withdraw now!"

Smarty:
Standard: Aid attack

Thanas:
Swift: Stymie TIE 5B's Pilot.
Move: Y5>X6>W5.
Standard: Shoot 12B, fighting defensively.
[roll0]
[roll1]*2=108, -5 DR.

Status
HP 120
SR 15
CT Normal
Reflex 24
Torpedoes 4
[roll2]

Rane126
2013-04-10, 02:21 AM
Ranas, liberator six

Hp: 120
Reflex: 19
Sr: 35 zeta 9
Torpedos: 3

Ranas straightens his fighter after his spinning attack and lines his sights up on the closest of the hit tie fighters, looking passed his target at the battle spread out before him through his canopy he takes in the scene. Lead. And one need assistance. "Six, finish that one off quick, we need to move to support Lead."

Nonchalantly he squeezes off a quad linked blast of his laser cannons before swooping towards the embattled Lead wing pair.

Ekseven
standard: aid attack

Ranas
Standard: attack Tie 4B [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]*2=66 [-5 dr, -5 dt]
Move: fly to AC7

VC in case[roll2]

Philistine
2013-04-10, 03:53 AM
Herrick snarls a curse as the three TIEs box him in, battering down the Longprobe's shields and scorching its hull. "This is Three, blowing the port. Five, execute! Now!" he calls over the comm. He dives out, rolling into a Split-S and passing below Two, then jams the throttles to the stops again as he lines up an attack run on the northern cooling tower. The battered fighter's response is more sluggish this time, and smoke begins to waft into the cockpit - but it's enough to get him to optimum range for his torpedoes, and he fires off yet another brightly-glowing missile at the chink in the skyhook's defenses. Finally he rockets south to link up with Five at the end of her own attack run.

Raven: 3 Swift actions to Mechanics (Recharge Shields): [roll0] vs DC20 to restore 5 SR.

Herrick: Swift action to Increase Vehicle Speed to 5 squares. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15063457&postcount=149)

Standard action to initiate an Attack Run against the northern coolant tower. Attack: [roll1] from (T,5) for [roll2] X2= 142 Damage.

Move action to travel to (S,8).

Pilot (Dogfight Avoidance): [roll3], if needed - but Three is passing through Two's space on the way to the tower, avoiding TIE-occupied spaces
Pilot (Vehicular Combat): [roll4], if needed Never mind.

Ship State
Gargantuan Starfighter
Defense: Ref 17 (Flat-footed 13) (Ref 15, 11 Flat-footed due to Attack Run), Fort 26, +7 armor (+8 level), Vehicular Combat
HP: 65/120; DR: 10; SR: 10/25; Threshold: 47
Ranged: Laser Cannons Attack +16 (+11 Burst Fire), Damage (4d10+4)X2 ((6d10+4)X2 Burst Fire) OR
Ranged: Ion Cannons Attack +16 (+11 Burst Fire), Damage (4d10+4)X2 ((6d10+4)X2 Burst Fire) OR
Ranged: Proton Torpedos Attack +16, Damage (9d10+4)x2, four-square splash ((10d10+x)X2 Fire-Link)
Fighting Space: 4X4 OR 1 square (starship scale); Cover: total (crew), +5 (astromech droid)
Attack Options: Autofire/Burst Fire (laser cannons, ion cannons), Fire-link (proton torpedos)
Skills: Initiative +8 (+18*), Mechanics +12 (+14**), Perception +12, Pilot +18 (19 for Xamol Herrick, 16 for any other character; can Take 10), Stealth +18, Use Computer +12/+17 to operate sensors (+12/+17 to operate sensors**)
** R4 astromech droid
Payload: 2/8 proton torpedos
Customization: Personalized Controls (+1 to skill checks for Xamol Herrick as Pilot; -2 for any other pilot to operate)

Sossrim
2013-04-10, 01:25 PM
As Liberator Three manages to disengage from the deathtrap closing around him, and Two moves to assist, blowing one of the TIEs that menaced his wingman into a thousand spinning fragments, the situation seems to improve. Nearby, Liberators Four, Six, and Seven thrash their pursuers, most of them already damaged, and clear the area of Imperial forces in several bright explosions of light. But the five remaining TIE fighters, sensing blood in the water, close on the badly-wounded Leader.

Even as Three strafes the upper cooling tower, blowing in apart in a blue-green ball of chemical fire that sets further alarms blaring across Port Kariil, Liberator Leader disappears beneath a stark green barrage. There's no time for so much as a shout of terror, let alone one last order; the X-Wing is just gone, vaporized from a half-dozen directions. "Lead!" Kivva screams, and there's no one there to answer. Regrouping, the TIEs prepare to converge on Liberator One. Lakpan's savage, rage-filled bellow is the first anyone hears of him.

"Prepare to withdraw," Taav Taro says, breaking his own silence. His voice is oddly distorted and flat, but there is still somehow a hint of regret. "Negative," Kivva replies, though her voice is shaky. "We've almost done it." "That is an order, Ensign," Taav Taro replies, but there's an audible blip as Kivva closes the channel. Turning her craft around, she speeds back toward the station to support Three. Five X-Wings remain in the area to oppose five TIEs. The bombers, now visible from the viewports as well as sensors, have nearly arrived.

Pushing her engines to the limit, Kivva reaches the side of the Dawning and lets fly with a proton torpedo that streaks over the corvette's aft section. The bright missile pierces the station's shields, badly-weakened by the constant barrage assailing them, and impacts the cooling tower, pushing the structure into the station like hammering a nail before exploding. The great dark pyramid hangs there for a moment, as if confused. And then Port Kariil bursts. Huge slabs of black durasteel fly every which way as a fireball the in which a star destroyer could fit rises out of the atmosphere. The TIE bombers arrive just in time to watch as it all sinks down into the atmosphere at many times the speed of sound.

"Good work, Liberators," the Dawning transmits, having weathered the storm of flying debris thanks to its tough shields. "Is there time for wreckage interception, or should we prepare for immediate withdrawal?" The newly-arrived bomer squadron has a transmission as well: "Rebel forces: for this act of terror you are forever condemned. Surrender immediately or you will be utterly destroyed. The Sector Fleet is en route; you cannot escape. Power down your ships and you will be permitted to survive."

The shattered remains of Port Kariil will remain in orbit for two more rounds before plummeting down to Skalokor. The shields are now gone, however, and ships are free to fly over spaces occupied by the station on the map. (Under, however, would be a bad idea.)

Liberator Three must make a pilot check; he's very close to the explosion, and debris is whipping all around his ship at high speed! If he beats DC 30, he may move freely to any space directly on the other side of the Dawning that Kivva doesn't already occupy (V 6-9) without expending movement for next round. If not, he will take 30 damage unmodified by shields.

Exactly who is in command at present is unclear; it should technically be Lakpan, but he doesn't talk much. The next course of action is up to the squadron. If they want to risk trying to break up Port Kariil into pieces that will burn up in the atmosphere before leaving, the Dawning will take the next two rounds to do so. If not, it will align and jump to hyperspace next round. The bombers are ignoring the Rebel fighters and going straight for the corvette, so the TIE fighters are the only current threat to the squadron's personal safety.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-10, 02:09 PM
In the Imperial Navy, with the Leader's passing ,command falls upon his element leader. Which Thanas, who lost no time in stepping up. "Six, seven, get one clear. The rest form up and hit the wreckage with one torpedo salvo, and then we're out of here. You too, Dawning.

"Smarty, see if you can get a read on Leader's beacon," Thanas ordered as he called up the torpedoes and tried getting a reading on the tumultuous mess that was Port Karill.

Smarty:
Move: Scan to see if he can pick Leader's rescue beacon. [roll0]

Thanas:
Move: Fly.
Swift: Target wreckage with Overwhelming Assault
Standard: Attack run on wreckage. Move to T5 and fire 1 torpedo. Subtract 10 for Overwhelming Assault
[roll1]
[roll2]*2=176, -5 DR.

HP 120
SR 15
Ref 17
CT Normal
Torpedoes 3

[roll3]
And in case I get hit again, have a Snap Roll
[roll4]

Rane126
2013-04-10, 02:56 PM
Ranas, X-wing, Liberator Six

HP 120
Reflex 19
SR 35 (Zeta 9)
Torpedos 3

Ranas doesn't allow himself to panic, there's too much still to do and only a cool head will get the rest of the squadron out alive. "Acknowledged Two. One, Break Left, make for the Dawning."

Ranas guns the throttle and slips his fighter into the space between Liberator One and the closing Ties. He leads with his cannons, targeting the Tie most likely to cut off One's escape, and follows by attempting to scrap it up in a dogfight with the next closest fighter.

Ekseven
Standard Aid attack
2 swift actions towards recharge shields

Ranas
Move: Fly to Z6
Standard: Attack Tie 1B [roll0]
Damage [roll1]*2 = 70 *2 for critical hit = 140 (-5DR - 5DT) Tactical Genius also refreshes all Manoeuvres on natural 20 for attack roll.

Reaction: Intercept Manoeuvre - initiate dogfight with Tie 5B [roll2]

VC in case [roll3]

Thundercracker
2013-04-11, 06:07 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Richter heard someone screaming in the background, but he was too focused on his target to fully process what had happened, it was only after he emerged victorious from the furball that he realized Thanas was giving orders. A quick look at his sensors and he knew what must have happened.

Then he saw Ranas' ship attempting to engage one of the TIEs in a dogfight.

"Six, what are you doing? We've got to get out of here!" he said, even as he punched the throttle.

Ref: 20 (18 after Segnor's loop)
all allies gain +1 insight to attack, and +1 circumstance to attack / +1 die to attack the station.

R4: aid attack

vehicular combat (if necessary): [roll0]

swift: increase speed, pilot: 35 from OOC thread
standard: atk on TIE8: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +2 aid -2 range: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]x2

Move: 1 square to AB9

Reaction: activate Segnor's Loop. Attack run to AA7 on TIE8 if it is still alive, otherwise, Attack run to Y6 on TIE5B: pilot: [roll3]

atk: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus +2 attack run +1 PB [roll4]
dmg: [roll5]x2

If any ally or enemy rolls a natural 1 on an attack:
AoO on nearest enemy: 5 base + 4 int + 2 pilot + 2 focus [roll6] +1 if in PB range
dmg: [roll7] (+1 in PB) x2

Philistine
2013-04-11, 12:44 PM
The blast wave of the skyhook's detonation hits Hell's Belle with an impact like being backhanded by a Wookie, sending the big fighter tumbling away; only the inertial compensator allows Herrick to remain conscious in the cockpit. Remarkably, he manages to ride out the blast wave and avoid taking further damage. More remarkably, the tough ship's systems all continue to report nominal function despite the severe beating the craft has taken. He wrestles with the controls, finally getting Three's nose pointed in the direction of flight, only to discover that said direction is directly toward the furball where Liberator Lead has just vanished in a hail of laser fire.

Just then, Two's voice comes over the comm. Herrick checks his scope in disbelief as he listens to the senior pilot's orders. "Are you nuts, Two?" he replies in horrified disbelief. "Those Dupes are already in missile range! Dawning, you need to get out of here, pronto!" He holds his Y-Wing's explosion-imparted course, straightening into an attack run against one of the remaining TIE Fighters. He fires a heavy burst at it and continues on course, positioning himself to hit the incoming bombers from the flank. "We need to go, too, Raven," he says tensely. "But keep working on the shields until we get the word."

Raven: 3 Swift actions to Mechanics (Recharge Shields): [roll0] vs DC20 to restore 5 SR.

Herrick: Swift action to Increase Vehicle Speed to 8 squares (per OOC).

Standard action to initiate an Attack Run against TIE 6B. Attack: [roll1] from (Y,6) for [roll2] X2= 70 Damage using Burst Fire.

Move action to travel to (AD,1).

Pilot (Dogfight Avoidance): [roll3], if needed
Pilot (Vehicular Combat): [roll4], if needed

Ship State
Gargantuan Starfighter
HP: 65/120; DR: 10; SR: 15/25; Threshold: 47
** R4 astromech droid

RandomLunatic
2013-04-11, 12:56 PM
"Roger that seven, we do.. All of us," Thanas transmitted. "Belay that, Dawning! Hold position! Three, I'm well aware of what the Dupe can and can't do." And the first salvo would only strip the shields...

Sossrim
2013-04-11, 09:11 PM
The vengeance of Liberator Squadron is swift and terrible. Liberators One and Four do not take advantage of Six's attempt to hold the TIEs at bay while they retreat; instead they move to flank the craft that killed Leader, replicating the spinning tactic that Six had used earlier to pepper the enemy craft with concentrated cannon fire. With the intervention of Liberators Seven and Three, it's all over. Five bright explosions light up the void as red blasts lance through cockpits and shear off solar panels. The fighters are no more.

The TIE bombers come on, unfazed by the deaths of their compatriots. Protected by heavy armor and bearing a deadly arsenal, it's clear that they see the Rebel starfighters as little more than a nuisance: destroying the Dawning before it can escape is their only goal for the moment. But when Taav Taro gets in the way, one of the Imperial craft launches a concussion missile at him without a moment's hesitation. Though the X-Wing is only glanced by the explosion, or it'd be little more than dust, one of its S-Foils is torn clean off.

Kivva and Thanas, meanwhile, add their fire to the Dawning's efforts to break up the debris.

The first salvo of missiles strikes the Dawning as the bombers continue their advance. The range is too long to get a good shot, with all the benefits of Seinar's targeting systems and the gunners' experience, so the corvette's shields take the brunt of it. Still, the fresh paint on the hull scorches orange-black against the deadly impacts. "All systems remain operational," the vessel's captain reports. "The damage is only cosmetic. Shields have taken a beating, but they're holding for now. Port Kariil is breaking up, but we need more time."

And then Taav Taro cuts in. "My hyperdrive is done for," he says, deadpan.

The Dawning will need another round to finish breaking up Port Kariil, and may need further help doing so. Whenever it leaves, it will require one round to align itself before jumping to hyperspace. The TIE bombers will not shoot at starfighters unless they attack or get in the way, in which case they will respond with concussion missiles, each of which is capable of ripping apart a fully-shielded, full-health Y-Wing in one hit.

Taav Taro is lucky to be alive, but he will be captured or killed if left behind.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-11, 10:22 PM
"Damn," Thanas muttered. It was going to be one of those sorties. "Keep the range to the dupes open, Dawning. Fly over the station and keep firing." He fired one last torpedo into the crumbling station and then turned, flying over the corvette's engine array towards the incoming bombers. "Liberators, if we don't want to leave four to the imps we'll have to make it safe for Dawning to pick him up. Let's focus on the dupes one flight at a time, starting with the lead flight so they can't box her in."

Smarty:

Thanas:
Swift: Increase speed (38, speed 8)
Standard: Torpedo the wreckage. Take -10 for OA.
[roll0]
[roll1]*2=190, -5 DR.
Move: Fly to AA5.

HP 120
SR 15
CT Normal
Reflex 19

[roll2]
[roll3] in case I get hit again.
And a [roll4] for my dogfight of opportunity if the T/Bs try flying past me.

Rane126
2013-04-12, 01:03 AM
Ranas, X-wing Liberator 6

Hp120
Reflex 19 (30 with snap roll if required)
Sr 35 (zeta 9)
Torpedoes 3

"Good work guys." Ranas compliments the support blowing the Ties out of space. He winces as the concussion salvo strikes the Dawning, even more so when four announces his status.

Glancing at his scope he takes in the situation. The third flight of dupes have an open path to the Dawning. He announces his intent, "This is Six, moving to intercept third flight, I'll hold them."

He loops his X-wing over on the port s-foils and slams the throttle into the stops, increasing his speed as he screams to intercept the flight of dupes. As he closes the distance he again sends his fighter into a spinning attack, scarlet energy pouring into the flight formation of bombers.

Ekseven
Standard: aid attack

Ranas
Swift: increase speed ooc roll 31
Move fly to AA11
Standard activate darklighter spin ooc roll 37 attack 2x2 AB 11 to AC 12 space for all 4 bombers in flight three in one go with no penalty [roll0]
Damage [roll1]*2 = 70 (-5 DR, -5 DT)

Not sure if this works - how many reactions can one have in a round?
Reaction engage TB11 in a dogfight [roll2]
Reaction engage TB12 in a dogfight [roll3]
Reaction engage TB10in a dogfight [roll4]
Reaction engage TB9 in a dogfight [roll5]

VC when needed [roll6]
Snap roll if shot at a second time [roll7]

Thundercracker
2013-04-12, 04:56 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Richter watched in awe as Ranas barreled into the formation of bombers, firing with abandon.

"I've gotta get him to teach me that one," he muttered, "assuming we survive."

"Hang on Six, I'm comin'!" he said.

He came around at an angle to put some distance between himself and the center flight group of bombers, and attempted to pick off one of the TIEs engaging Ranas.

Hp: 134
Ref: 25 (fighting defensively)
R4: Aid attack

swift: increase speed [roll0]
move: Roundabout to AB12, to avoid getting dragged into the dogfight.
standard: attack the most damaged TIE dogfighting with Liberator 6: base 5, int 4, pilot 2, upgrades 1, focus 2, aid 2, PB 1, defensive -5: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] x2
vehicular combat: [roll3]
FP on vehicular combat roll if it's a concussion missile: [roll4]

If any ally or enemy rolls a natural 1 on attack:
AoO nearest target: [roll5]
damage: [roll6]x2

Philistine
2013-04-12, 07:25 AM
"Can you get to the Dawning, Four?" Herrick asks urgently. Without waiting for an answer, he steers his own craft around the bomber formation and swoops down on the lead ship. "Stay with me, Raven," he mutters over the intercom. "This is gonna get messy." The droid whistles back confidently as the Wishbone yo-yos toward firing position behind the lead Dupe.

Raven: 3 Swift actions to Mechanics (Recharge Shields): [roll0]

Herrick: Move Action to pilot the ship to (AB,3) (autosucceed on the Pilot check to avoid collision).
Standard Action to attempt to pull TB1 into a dogfight, Pilot (Initiate Dogfight): [roll1]
If successful, Swift action to Attack TB1 with Laser Cannons(Burstfire): [rollv]1d20+13[rollv] 29 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15077173&postcount=184) for Damage: [roll2] X2= 62
Damage ignores 5 points each of DR and DT. If damage exceeds target's threshold, target cannot attack and target's speed is reduced by 2 squares.

Reactions:
Pilot (Vehicular Combat): Take 10 for 29 when needed (taking no more chances with this one)
Pilot (Initiate Dogfight with TB1): [rollv]1d20+19[rollv] 26 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15077173&postcount=184) if not successful in doing so with my Standard
Pilot (Initiate Dogfight with TB3): [rollv]1d20+19[rollv] 36 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15077173&postcount=184) if I do succeed in drawing TB1 into a dogfight with my standard

Ship State
Gargantuan Starfighter
Defense: Ref 17 (Flat-footed 13), Fort 26, +7 armor (+8 level), Vehicular Combat
HP: 65/120; DR: 10; SR: 20/25; Threshold: 47
** R4 astromech droid

Sossrim
2013-04-13, 09:55 AM
In a rain of flame, Port Kariil disintegrates. A million fragments of the station rain down on Skalokor to burn up in its atmosphere. But there are no whoops, no cheers; the situation is far too dire. Taav Taro, acknowledging Herrick's suggestion, limps back toward the Dawning, the gaping wounds where half his ship used to be venting fuel and sparks. The rest of the squadron surges toward the bombers in a desperate effort to slow them from annihilating the corvette. And these pilots, single-minded veterans, smell the important ship's distress like blood in the water.

Liberator Two provokes fire from one of the lead TIEs, but executes a flawless roll that sees a deadly concussion missile streak past his cockpit within feet of his seat. He manages to force one of them into a confrontation, but the other slips past. Then his wingman streaks by, flying directly into the enemy formation. He opens heavy fire on the lead bomber, denting the craft but not destroying it, and manages to tie up the one behind it in the struggle as well. The last bomber slips away toward its target, ignoring Taav Taro at its peril.

With escape in sight, the bleeding fighter turns to engage, locking the bomber in combat and keeping it from the Dawning. "I have a wife on Corellia," he says, his voice still monotone. "There's a message cylinder in my quarters. It would mean a lot to me if she could have it. There are delivery instructions on it." Firing with the two S-Foils remaining to him, he does his best to delay the assault. "Not happening," Kivva says, roaring in to assist her wingman. "We're not losing anyone else." She says it firmly, decisively, trying to will it true.

Meanwhile Ranas goes after the third flight, spinning as he fires once again and splashing his foes with blaster fire. Though he spins, twists, and dodges, Six has attracted the full wrath of a squadron onto himself; the first two attacks he nimbly evades, but he's not so lucky with the third. A concussion missile streaks through the void, exploding just off his starboard flank and rocking his ship so hard it seems some piece of it will surely fly off. His bolstered shields save his ship from being mangled like Liberator Four, but a long, jagged stripe of scorched durasteel now runs along its nose.

As the fourth bomber moves in to attack, however, his wingman comes to the rescue. Liberator Seven streaks in from above, opening fire on the bomber that managed to escape becoming entangled with Six. He scores the first bomber kill, ripping through one of the wings and rupturing the power plant in a bright explosion that sends debris soaring every which way. Nearby, Lakpan tries to hold up the central squadron without repeating Four's mistake of getting in their way, but they don't even react to the blaster fire he peppers them with. They fly well, evading the Rebel fighters, and engage the Dawning directly.

The barrage of missiles is far less concentrated this time; two bomber wings can't attack at all, tied up by Liberator Squadron. But the Dawning's shields are also diminished. Concussion missiles roar in, snapping off a sensor mast and leaving great dents in the vessel's hull plating. "All decks are intact," the captain reports, "but we've got wounded personnel and internal fires. We're aligning to make the jump; just hold them off a little longer." His voice becomes muffled as he turns away from his comm station. "Lock it down! And get us our shields back! Ensign, get the Lieutenant to the medbay! Now!" A moment later the transmission cuts out.

The Dawning needs one more round to align before jumping to hyperspace.

Liberator Two takes no damage, but only manages to engage Bomber Four.

Liberator Three takes no damage and manages to tie up Bombers One and Three.

Liberator Six takes 15 damage and drops to SR 30. He is engaged with Bombers Ten, Eleven, and Twelve.

Liberator Seven takes no damage, and scores the first Bomber kill!

Philistine
2013-04-13, 10:51 AM
It's bomber versus bomber as Liberator Three pursues the lead TIE Bomber and is pursued by the second element leader in turn. Herrick's yo-yo turns into a vertical rolling scissors with the two Dupes as he tries to draw a bead on his target while evading the ship behind him; despite the Y-Wing's advantages in speed and agility, the effort soon has sweat streaming down Herrick's face. Or maybe that's the heat - smoke has ceased drifting into the cockpit from behind the pilot's seat, but the temperature hasn't dropped at all. "I'll keep these guys busy, Two!" he gasps into the comm. "Help One with the other flight!"

He clicks off and speaks into the intercom as he moves to follow TIE Bomber One's next reverse. "Can you pump any more juice to the maneuvering thrusters, Raven?" The astromech replies with a chirp which Herrick takes to be an affirmative, though he can't spare the moment required to look at the translation scrolling across his monitor. Too close to comfortably use his torpedoes, Herrick squeezes off another burst of laser fire at TB1.

Raven: 3 Swift actions to Mechanics (Recharge Shields): [roll0]; if successful will bring shields to full strength again (finally!)

Herrick: Move Action to pilot the ship.
Standard Action to continue the dogfight with TB1, Pilot (Dogfight): [roll1]
If successful, Swift action to Attack TB1 with Laser Cannons(Burstfire): [roll2] for Damage: [rollv]dd10+5[rollv] X2= 74 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15083596&postcount=193)
Damage ignores 5 points each of DR and DT. If damage exceeds target's threshold, target cannot attack and target's speed is reduced by 2 squares.

Reactions:
Pilot (Vehicular Combat): Take 10 for 29 when needed (taking no more chances with this one)
Pilot (Initiate Dogfight with TB4): [roll3] if it tries to get away from Two (or if Two disengages to go after 5-8)
Pilot (Opposed Roll to deny TB1 a shot/prevent him disengaging): [roll4]
Pilot (Opposed Roll to deny TB3 a shot/prevent him disengaging): [roll5]

Ship State
Gargantuan Starfighter
Defense: Ref 17 (Flat-footed 13), Fort 26, +7 armor (+8 level), Vehicular Combat
HP: 65/120; DR: 10; SR: 25/25; Threshold: 47
** R4 astromech droid

RandomLunatic
2013-04-13, 12:51 PM
Thanas kept the bomber maneuvering hard to avoid being tailed. And in the process bleeding off most of its speed, leaving it in no position to pursue the Dawning. That mission accomplished, he extended away a full throttle, leaving the sluggish bomber eating his space dust.

Diving towards the moon below to pick up speed, he zoomed under the only bomber flight still firing at the Dawning. He flipped his fire control to passive, not wanting to give his victim any warning.

Getting out ahead of his intended quarry, he looped up and left in a mutant offspring of the chandelle. He flipped the X-wing upside down so its left side torpedo launcher lined up with the lead bomber's ordnance pod. While the warheads contained within were stable and would only arm after launch, the same could not said of the propellent.

At this range and closure rate, the computer would never be able to acquire a lock before he overshot. So he did not bother, instead working out the deflection in his head and dumb-firing the torpedo across the bombers path. With no active emissions, the TIE driver would have no warning of the incoming warhead and no chance to outmaneuver it...

Smarty:
Move: Try and pick up lead's beacon again. [roll0]

Thanas:
Move: Disengage from T/B4. [roll1] Fly to X7.
Swift: Target T/B6 for OA
Standard: Torpedo T/B6. Take -8 for OA.
[roll2]
[roll3]*2=156, -5 DR.

HP 120
SR 15
Ref 19
CT Normal
Torpedoes 1

[roll4]
[roll5] if I get the whole flight mad at me.
[roll6] to dogfight as my AoO.

Rane126
2013-04-13, 03:12 PM
Ranas, X-wing Liberator six

Hp 45 (accounting extra 60 from crit concussion hit)
Reflex 19
Sr 30 (zeta 9)
Torpedos 3

The detonation of a concussion missile in close proximity could have decimated his fighter but somehow Ranas comes through in one piece. There is no time to reflect on his luck as now he is embroiled in a flurry or twists, turns, swoops, jukes and jinks as the the bombers work to try and take him out. But this is where the X-wing superiority fighter excels and Ranas puts it through its paces as he concentrates on staying out of his opponents sights.

"Ekseven, get those Shields up," he says as he works the control stick.

After a descending roll he feathers the rudder kicking his nose in line with one the bombers, his wing tips spit deadly energy.

Ekseven
3 Swifts to recharge Shields [roll0]

Ranas
Standard: dogfight, attempt to attack the bomber that hit him [roll1]
If win attack roll [roll2]
Damage [roll3]*2 =68 (-5dt, -5dr)

Vc [roll4]

Opposed dogfight for three bombers[roll5], [roll6], [roll7]. If one fails they all take-10 to attack for elusive dog fighter (i think)

Reaction skywalker roll if one fighter fails opposed dogfight roll DC 20 to allow aoo [roll8]

AoO [roll9]
Damage [roll10]*2 =66 (-5dt, -5dr)

Rane126
2013-04-13, 03:21 PM
Duros re roll pilot check for that second opposed dog fight check [roll0]

Thundercracker
2013-04-13, 07:51 PM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

One of the bombers went up in a blazing halo of destruction, its payload erupting as laserfire tore through it. He didn't have any time to savor the kill, though, his wingman was in serious trouble, engaging all three remaining bombers of the flight.

"R4," he said, "lock on to the most damaged fighter engaging six."

He dropped his throttle to come around, and pushed it full burn to attack the targeted bomber as he lined up.

Hp: 134
Ref: 18 (after attack run)

vehicular combat to avoid attack: [roll0]

attack run to AB10, 5 base, 4 int, 2 pilot, 2 aid, 2 attack run, 1 upgrade, 1 PB: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] x2

move: AE 12 (This is to set up an attack run next turn).
Edit: Pilot checks to avoid dogfighting are in the OOC thread.

If any ally or enemy rolls a natural 1 on attack, attack nearest target:
AoO: 5 base, 4 int, 2 pilot, 1 upgrade [roll3] + range modifier
damage: [roll4] + 1 in PB range, x2

swift: aim proton torpedo at least damaged TIE bomber engaging Liberator 6

Sossrim
2013-04-15, 08:15 AM
What began as a surprise attack has become a desperate holding action as very remaining Liberator engages the bombers, trying to hold them back just a little longer. Herrick has little luck; the damage to his vessel is making it sluggish. One bomber slips past him, and his effort to catch it puts him right in the crosshairs of the others. Fortunately for him, one of the craft misses completely, and he's able to evade the fire of the other with a series of clever rolls and loops. Kivva moves to intercept the other bomber, still trying to tie down another while Taav Taro limps away.

Meanwhile, Liberators One and Two struggle to hold back the middle group. Thanas, in a series of maneuvers Kivva would have complimented highly under better circumstances, vaporizes one of the bombers with a proton torpedo; having hit the magazine at close range, he leaves nothing recognizable of the enemy craft. The others move to close around him, but Lakpan interposes his own ship, flying through their formation to draw their attention. Thanas manages to dodge the lone concussion missile fired his way, flipping over it as a new bomber moves up after him.

Nearby, Liberators Six and Seven take their bloody vengeance for the former's near death by concussion missile. The bomber that hit him explodes under a hail of scarlet lasers, and he flies circles around the other two in spite of the damage to his ship, easily outmaneuvering the larger craft without allowing them to escape. In the end, not a single bomber fires on the Dawning; though lightly scarred, the corvette will live to fight another day. "Preparing to withdraw," the captain says. "You should do the same. Thanks for the assist!"

With that, the Dawning stretches, then leaps forward into hyperspace, carrying Taav Taro with it. And not a moment too soon; only seconds later, a new presence emerges into the system: an Imperial-class Star Destroyer! "Rebel vessels," the ship announces, "you have no hope of escape. Power down your ships immediately or you will be vaporized." The ship's guns begin to track, and its TIE fighter squadrons are no doubt preparing to launch. "We've got to get out of here!" Kivva needlessly exclaims.

Philistine
2013-04-16, 02:49 PM
"Don't seem like these guys wanna turn me loose," Herrick replies, rolling hard to narrowly avoid a collision with the lead Dupe. "Anybody else feel like the Imps weren't real surprised here?" He flips the Wishbone up onto its wing, maneuvering out of plane to avoid overshooting, then circles back hard, dragging the broad, flat nose around to lead the Bomber. A burst of crimson fury spits out at where the target's gyrating path should have put it...

"Be ready to punch us into hyper if we can shake these guys, Raven," he orders, continuing to juke to deny his own pursuer a shot.

Raven: Standard action to Mechanics (Aid Aonther): [roll0] to improve Herrick's Dogfight roll vs TB1 (autosucceeds)
Move action reserved to jump to lightspeed if the dogfight ends.

Herrick: Move Action to pilot the ship.
Standard Action to continue the dogfight with TB1, Pilot (Dogfight): [roll1]
If successful, Swift action to Attack TB1 with Laser Cannons(Burstfire): [roll2] for Damage: [roll3] X2= 98, X2= 196 for the crit.

Reactions:
Pilot (Opposed Roll to deny TB1 a shot): [roll4]
Pilot (Opposed Roll to deny TB3 a shot): [roll5]
IF one or both Bombers tries to disengage, I'll let them gp... sort of. Attack of Opportunity: [roll6] on the first one to leave. If it's TB1, subtract 5 from the attack roll for burst fire, giving Damage: [roll7] X2= 94; if it's TB3, then fire a proton torpedo instead for Damage: [roll8] X2= 136.
If free of the dogfight, Raven's readied action kicks in to hyper out.

Ship State
Gargantuan Starfighter
HP: 65/120; DR: 10; SR: 25/25; Threshold: 47
** R4 astromech droid

Rane126
2013-04-16, 02:56 PM
Ranas, X-wing Liberator Six

HP 45
Reflex 19
SR 35 (zeta 9)
Torpedos 3
Condition -1

Ranas blasts through the debris of the second destroyed bomber and looms close on the tail of the final one for this flight.

"Seven, I have this one, help One and Two disengage, we can't be held here any longer, the Destroyer's Ties will be on us soon." He tightens his hold on the stick as his damaged fighter gives a flutter. "Ekseven, a stabilizer has broken loose, see if you can't lock it down. No wait, prepare to engage the hyperdrive right after I ... He rights the X-wing's Yaw and slews the nose to track the damaged bomber....

Ekseven
Prepare to engage hyperdrive if all get clear

Ranas
Standard: Dogfight roll to attack TB10 [roll0] replaced by a lame 19 from the OOC thread - fail!
Attack is opposed check successful [roll1]
Damage [roll2]*2 = 68 if allowed to attack (-5 DT, -5DR)

Move: Disengage from dog fight roll from ooc 34

opposed dog fight roll from ooc: 21
VC roll from ooc: 28

RandomLunatic
2013-04-16, 03:05 PM
"Two's clear. You need help, three?" Thanas asked, as he infiltrated the rear of the gaggle of bombers going after one and five. Singling out one for special treatment, he closed in and violently clawed at its sternplate with ruby darts.

Smarty:

Thanas:
Move: To Z7
Swift: Target T/B8 for OA
Standard: Laser T/B8. -9 for OA.
[roll0]
[roll1]*2=160, -5 DR.

HP 120
SR 15
Ref 19
CT Normal
Torpedoes 1

[roll2]

Thundercracker
2013-04-16, 08:38 PM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Slick checked his sensors, and saw that there were still some Liberators engaged in dogfights.

He redlined his throttle, giving him a chance to observe the situation, and then, picking out his target, banked sharply and screamed into firing range, heavy laser cannons blasting away.

"R4, prepare to jump to light speed if everyone gets clear," he said.

SR60
DR10
Ref 18 (attack run)

move: AD6
attack run on nearest enemy still engaged in a dogfight with any ally:
5 base, 4 int, 2 focus, 2 attack run, 2 pilot, 1 upgrade, 1 PB: [roll0]
dmg: [roll1] x2
vehicular combat (if hit): [roll2]

if any ally or enemy rolls a natural 1 on attack, AoO on nearest enemy:
5 base, 4 int, 2 focus, 2 pilot, 1 upgrade: [roll3] +1 in PB range
dmg: [roll4]+1 in PB range x2

Sossrim
2013-04-17, 12:43 PM
"No kidding," Kivva replies to Herrick, "but how did they know?"

The retreat is utter chaos. Down two, Liberator Squadron nonetheless does its best to fight its way out; there's no real alternative. With a spectacular shot that punches through the engines of his bomber pursuer and exits through the magazine, Liberator Three blows apart one of the TIE bombers he's engaged with. The other, however, opens up on him with its cannons; despite his best efforts to dodge, the green laser blasts rupture one of his engines!. Raven squeals in alarm, trying desperately to put out the fire; his starfighter is only barely holding together.

Six manages to avoid any further hits, but doesn't manage to inflict any, either. He slips out of his dogfight with the last TIE Bomber near him, ready to escape, but since not everyone is ready he waits to make the jump. Meanwhile Two does his best to go after the bombers menacing One and Five, blowing one of their attackers apart in a single crimson volley. Then Seven comes, lasers blazing, and assists One in blowing apart one of his attackers. Liberator Five, badly damaged, manages to break from her own assailant.

That leaves only Liberators One and Three tied up as the first two TIE Fighter wings launch from the Star Destroyer...

Herrick is very, very lucky to be alive; he has been critically hit. His SR drops to 20, and he takes 55 damage.

Rane126
2013-04-17, 01:33 PM
Ranas, X-wing Liberator Six

Hp 45
Reflex 19
SR 35 (zeta 9)
Torpedos 2
Condition normal

Seeing that the other Liberators have been unable to position for a jump Ranas commits to stay and assist. "Ekseven, go ahead and lock down that stabilizer, we're going to need to stay for a bit." Disengaged from the intimate dogfight with the bomber designated TB10 Ranas uses the extra distance to gain a proton torpedo lock on the unfortunate craft. With tone he fires before making his way towards the embattled Liberators. As he arrives he engages TB7 in a dogfight, attempting to get the jump on the imperial pilot.

Ekseven
3 swift action to improve condition [roll0]

Ranas
Attack on TB10 [roll1]
Damage [roll2]*2 = 120 (-5 DR, -5 DT)

Move: Fly to AA7
Reaction Engage TB7 in a dogfight [roll3] re roll result 22
Incase dog fight engage is > 29 swift action attack [roll4]
Damage if needed [roll5]*2 Failed attempt

VC roll [roll6]

RandomLunatic
2013-04-17, 02:04 PM
Zooming in, Thanas locked onto his wingman's attacker. "Heads up three, break left on the mark. Three, two, one, MARK!" Boring in at high speed, Thanas pounced on the TIE bomber as it tried to follow the Y-wing through its turn, falling prey to a textbook execution of The Trap. Thanas slashed off part of his target's solar panel and blew out one of the enignes, sending the bomber spiraling off semi-controlled before he overshot his slow-moving target. "You're all clear, kid. Now blow that thing and let's go home!"

Smarty:

Thanas:
Swift: Stymie T/B3's Pilot.
Standard: Attack run on T/B3. Move to AC4 and lasers.
[roll0]
[roll1]*2=96, -5 DR.
Move: Hyperspace!

HP 120
SR 15
CT Normal
Reflex 17
Torpedoes 1

Philistine
2013-04-17, 02:33 PM
Herrick shouts wordlessly as triumph at outguessing the lead TIE Bomber turns to shock at having let himself drift across TB3's sights in turn. The Y-Wing lurches sickeningly, cracking Herrick's head on the canopy frame, as the port engine erupts into flame and begins to lose power. As the temperature in the cockpit spikes and entire panels suddenly flash red, one beacon of hope still remains: the hyperdrive motivator is still indicating a steady green. "Raven! On Two's mark, give me everything she's got left, then jump!" he coughs desperately. "Roger, Two. Liberators, Three is bugging out!"

Each step along the way had seemed to make sense at the time, but now he was up against it and no mistake. Just time to try one more thing, and hope Two could complicate his opponent's life enough to make it work... "Let's give this guy something to remember us by. Raven, NOW!" With that, Herrick jams the stick and rudder hard to port, turning into the fading #1 engine - trying for a snap shot at his pursuer before shaking the pursuit and jumping to the safety of lightspeed.

Raven: Standard action to Mechanics (Aid Aonther): [roll0] to improve Herrick's Disengage roll vs TB3 (autosucceeds).
Move action reserved to jump to lightspeed after disengaging.

Standard Action to continue the dogfight with TB3, Pilot (Dogfight): [roll1]
If successful, Swift action to Attack TB3 with Proton Torpedos(Fire-Linked): [roll2] for Damage: [roll3] X2= 104.

Move action to Pilot(Disengage from Dogfight): [rollv1d20+20[/rollv]

Reactions:
Pilot (Vehicular Combat): Take 10 for 29 if/when needed
Pilot (Opposed Roll to deny TB3 a shot): [roll4] if/when needed

Ship State
Gargantuan Starfighter
-1 ON CONDITION TRACK
Defense: Ref 17 (Flat-footed 12/13), Fort 26, +7 armor (+8 level), Vehicular Combat
HP: 10/120; DR: 10; SR: 20/25; Threshold: 47
** R4 astromech droid
Payload: 0/8 proton torpedos

Thundercracker
2013-04-17, 06:59 PM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

"Fighters coming in," Richter said, as he circled around the dogfight, looking for a clear angle of attack, "eight marks at two-ten."

"We need to get clear, now," he said, once again banking in for an attack run.

Ref: 18 (attack run)

R4: ready action to jump to light speed if all liberators get clear.
swift: increase speed.
move to W8
attack run to W6, on TB4 (engaging L1 in dogfight): 5 base, 4 int, 2 pilot, 2 attack run, 2 specialized, 1 upgrade, 1PB: [roll0]
damage: [roll1] x2

if any allies or enemies roll a natural 1 on attack, AoO on nearest enemy: 5 base, 4 int, 2 pilot, 2 specialized, 1 upgrade: [roll2]+1 in PB range
dmg: [roll3] +1 in PB, x2

Vehicular combat to avoid damage (if necessary): [roll4]

Sossrim
2013-04-17, 08:39 PM
They say that Gundarks get tougher and madder the more you hurt them. If that's true, perhaps Liberator Squadron should've been named for them instead. As they withdraw, trailing smoke and sparks, the Rebel craft leave parting gifts of proton torpedoes and volleys of laser fire. In the space of a few seconds three of the bombers are smashed, their cockpits crushed in and their wings blown away. Liberators Two and Three combine their fire, as do One and Seven, while Five and Six each take one alone. The enemy squadron is all but gone.

And then, as the Star Destroyer's guns track down toward the Liberators and a fresh TIE squadron closes in, the craft vanish into hyperspace. The great blue tunnel opens before them, whisking them away from the battlefield. Their astromechs calculate the next two jumps at random, according to protocol, and then head toward the nebula once more. Despite a casualty and four near casualties, there can be no doubt: the first mission has been a success!

Rane126
2013-04-18, 12:17 AM
Ranas, X-Wing Liberator Six

Ranas carries out the jumps in silence reflecting on the mission. Sure it was a success on flimsy. The destruction of the skyhook would set the slave trade back enormously. Breaking the station up small enough not to rain death on the moon below would be a coup in the free media, if they could get word round the twisted reports from the Empire. But all that success was insignificant next to the loss of a squadmate. Even one he hard hardly had time to know. Biiso had been solid in command but was now gone. Ranas wondered whether he had left family behind, apart from those in his squadron family.

The fighter squadron dropped out of hyperspace after the last prescribed jump into the edge of the nebula. The swirling colours beautiful outside his canopy hold his attention for a while but soon he snaps out of it. He keys the com to his wingman. "How are you holding up there Slick? You did well back there. Some good flying."

Thundercracker
2013-04-18, 10:17 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

"I'm alright," Slick replied as he attempted to wipe his forehead under his visor, but succeeded only in smudging it with sweat.

"You too," he said, "though I think you're the one with the actual fancy moves. I was just trying to keep up. That rolling, autofire one at the end was something else; I've never seen that before."

He tried to keep the strain out of his voice, but was only partially successful. The thought that they had lost one of their own on the mission made it feel much, much less than a success, but he wasn't sure how to articulate what he felt. Before they had set out, it seemed inevitable that they would all be returning. After all, they were a squad of x-wings and y-wings, against a supposedly surprised and unshielded station without fighter support.

Philistine
2013-04-18, 10:34 AM
Escaping to hyperspace had been a relief, but had hardly spelled an end to Three's troubles - Herrick and Raven still had to nurse their shot-up bird back to base. While Raven managed the crippled #1 engine and the onboard fire-suppression system, Herrick shut down non-essential systems to reduce generator load with his free hand while holding the stick and rudder all the way right to compensate for the asymmetric thrust. In the end Raven was forced to shut down the damaged engine completely, leaving Hell's Belle to limp the rest of the way home on reduced power.

Eventually they once again find themselves at the edge of the nebula, and Herrick stares out the canopy with tired irritation at what he'd considered an exciting ride earlier. "Two, I'm not gonna be able to keep up in there. I'll just have to catch up at Agitator Base," he calls over the comm. Three turns in toward the station, advancing into the swirling nebula at well below half speed.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-18, 01:56 PM
Yabosta system

As hyperspace swallowed the Redeemer in its blue cloak, Thanas slumped back in his ejection seat and exhaled. It had been a successful sortie, despite all the complications. Especially in light of all the complications. He was used to intel being off, but this was egregious-and Biiso had paid the price. "Smarty, you got the positions of the Skalakor garrison fighter bases? Put them on the CMD and compute flight times from them to Port Kariil, for a TIE/ln."

Outside the nebula

Thanas looked at the colorful nebula, screening the hazards within, then over at the shattered Longprobe. He did not envy his wingman's position at all. "Hang on three, let me work on that." Switching channels, he said, "New Day Dawning, Liberator Two. You got room for another passenger? My wingman is holding together on prayer and mesh tape here."

Sossrim
2013-04-18, 09:38 PM
The squadron reunites with the Dawning at the nebula's edge, quiet and grim; successful mission or no, no one feels much like celebrating. The question of the Empire's swift response to what was meant as a surprise attack hangs heavy on everyone's hearts. The corvette responds to Thanas's hails, maneuvering to allow the limping Three to latch on. "Understood, Liberator Two. There should be plenty of space." As soon as Herrick's fighter is attached, the ship makes its microjump along the cleared corridor.

The remaining starfighters, lacking the shielding necessary to shunt the smaller asteroids out of the way without damage, are forced to take the long way, weaving once more among the asteroids. Lead is no longer around to guide them, but Lakpan rises to the task, shepherding the entire squadron with graceful turns and passes without a word spoken. Within an hour, what's left of Liberator Squadron has returned to Agitator Base. Herrick and Taav Taro's craft have already been gingerly set down in the hangar, each looking as though it might fall apart if jostled.

Repair crews swarm the area under the loud and boisterous direction of a young human woman. With short, flaming red hair, a variety of facial piercings and tattoos, and clothing that can't possibly be regulation given the cutouts around her midriff, she seems an odd leadership choice, but no one questions her directions. "Garryl, get some welders on... Hell's Bile? What rotting kind of name is... huh. Belle. Anyway, get that engine secured before it falls off! Teeseven, check the inventory for replacement cannons and scrap we can make vaguely S-foil shaped. Klarn, you go..." Her speech is as much a barrage as the fire of any of the TIEs.

Taav Taro sits atop a stack of crates off to the side of the hangar while a medical team fusses over him, smoothing gel onto his injuries with a tube-like applicator. To his credit, he never once complained in the cockpit of what look to be some fairly serious burns along his arms, charring his flight suit and turning the skin beneath an ugly red-purple. Lieutenant Sadue, the eager young Zabrak woman the four new pilots met earlier, has just arrived to hear the mission report from Herrick. Her earnest, pretty face is grave.

"I'm very, very glad to see you and your squadron," she says, managing a smile that conveys both honest relief and deep sadness, "and I'm glad the Dawning made it back in one piece as well. We..." Her voice nearly breaks, but she composes herself and forges ahead. "We lost over half of Surprise squadron, and the others aren't back yet. We could use some good news." "Agreed," Captain Droiv says, materializing at her side as the rest of the pilots arrive and disembark. "What do you have to report, Liberators?"

Philistine
2013-04-18, 10:15 PM
Herrick slides down from his perch on the edge of Hell's Belle's central hull and lands awkwardly on the deck below. His flight suit is open to the waist, revealing an undershirt still soaked with sweat even after several minutes of exposure to the relatively cool, dry air of the hangar. He rises clumsily to his feet, favoring his right leg, before replying.

"Job's done," he says slowly, careful not to slur his words in his exhaustion. "Scratch one skyhook. But the Imps were waiting for us. We barely got out. Those who did get out."

RandomLunatic
2013-04-18, 11:41 PM
Doffing his helmet, Thanas rubbed the fatigue out of his eyes before climbing from the cockpit and and down to the hangar floor. He ran a hand along the pristine bodywork of his fighter, which, alone of the squadron, had returned untouched. Had he been so focused on covering his own shebs that he had let the others down? He was nearby, chasing his own TIEs when Biiso's snubfighter exploded. And not once but twice his own wingman had nearly joined the leader, and his fighter showed it.

Tucking his helmet under an arm, he brought himself to ramrod straight attention for his superior, propelled by by little but reflexive drilled-in discipline. "Sir, intel screwed this op in ways that are illegal in all 22 Core Sectors. The explosions from our opening torpedo salvo hadn't even died away before the damned thing's shields started going up. Three here," pointing to Herrick, "Almost splattered himself all over them. They also tried using the positional stabilizers as tractor beams, snaring both myself and the New Day Dawning. Nonetheless, we had all the weapons on our side of Port Kariil, improvised or otherwise, out of commission within 20 seconds of reversion.

"Which was right about the same time the first fighters hit us. A full squadron of 12 TIE/lns came at us from behind, and when we turned to meet them, a second full squadron popped out of Skalakor's atmosphere and flanked us. We mixed it up, and hurt them bad, but Lieutenant Biiso didn't make it. And my astromech never got a read on her rescue beacon.

"But we held them off the corvette, and with some assistance, she blew up the port around the same time as some TIE/sas from Yabosta arrived in the AO. They ordered us to power down. I ordered the Dawning to stay and break up the wreckage as best she could. My original plan was to hit the rubble with one salvo and jump out before the bombers could get close enough to effectively fire on the Dawning, but Four's hyperdrive was KOed by a missile, forcing us to commit to destroying the bombers so we could rescue him. And we did. After the skyhook fell, Four hitched a ride on the Dawning and they both hypered out. Just as she did, a kriffing Imperial-class Star Destroyer jumps in and starts launching TIEs. We disengage from the bombers, destroying most of them, and jump out.

"And that's my AAR, sir."

Rane126
2013-04-19, 01:12 AM
Ranas

Ranas waits for the rest of the squadron to slip through the mag shield into the hanger bay before he coasts his fighter in on repulsors. He settles the craft down onto its landing struts almost neatly, the move spoiled at the last moment by the stabilizer breaking loose again causing it to lurch and fall the last few feet heavily.

He pops the canopy and removes his helmet, placing it onto the control board I front of him while he unbuckles and lifts himself out of his seat. As he climbs down the ladder he pauses to view the deep scoring along the flank left by the concussion missile. He shakes his head and jumps the rest of the way to the ground.

He approaches the cluster of pilots talking to the captain as Thanas completes his report. He draws up silently, Thanas covered it pretty well.

Philistine
2013-04-19, 09:41 AM
"One thing, kinda funny," Herrick chips in again. He wipes a hand down his face as he makes a visible effort to focus despite his fatigue, but mostly only succeeds at rearranging the grime. "The Imps came in piecemeal, one group at a time - the Dupes almost missed the whole thing, and the ImpStar basically did. If they'd come in all together, with everything?" He shakes his head. "Sir, they knew we were coming. But... maybe not very far in advance."

Thundercracker
2013-04-19, 10:05 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Richter pulled off his helmet, sweat matting his hair and dripping onto his flight suit. He hauled himself out of the cockpit, and inspected the damage to his ship. It was almost a superficial burn mark scorching the number two engine block, wouldn't take long to repair. He shuddered to think of what might have been had his bird not been sporting a boosted shield generator.

He walked up to where the others were giving their reports, but he kept his mouth shut. He could barely remember the sequence of what happened, much less speculate on what the Imperials might or might not have known.

So he just kind of stood there, helmet tucked under one arm, watching the debriefing.

RandomLunatic
2013-04-19, 02:58 PM
"Yeah, the staggered response has been bugging me too. The best I can figure is they were expecting just the fighters but not the corvette. Two squadrons against 8 fighters is exactly the 3:1 ratio Imperial fighter doctrine demands.

Then the bombers and Destroyer were called in when the New Day Dawning appeared. Although that still would not explain the exceptional scramble time for the bombers."

Sossrim
2013-04-20, 09:14 AM
"That," Captain Droiv says after a moment's thought, "is deeply disturbing." Lieutenant Sadue nods slowly, her face ashen as she hears of the loss of yet another irreplaceable Rebel pilot. "Yes," she manages, swallowing hard. "It ties in with what we know from the Surprise Squadron survivors; the Imperials knew we were here, and tried to protect key installations, but didn't know which ones we would hit or with what forces. That rules out a traitor, but not much else. A tracking beacon? A bounty hunter?" "A sloppy arrival?"

Sadue shakes her head. "We took every precaution. Maybe they captured or bribed one of our smugglers... but probably not, or they'd be at Agitator Base by now." She sighs heavily, threatening to break down again, but catches herself. "In any case, well done, Liberators, in a difficult situation." "Agreed," Captain Droiv says. "But there is one more thing we must attend to: the new Liberator Leader. Lakpan, you are the senior pilot in..." "No," the hefty Klatooinian replies, cutting off his superior officer.

He is speaking for the first time anyone has heard, and his voice is deep and rich, not at all like the savage war cry he uttered when Biiso was lost. "When the mission went sour, I did not assist in any meaningful way. With your permission, I will tender my resignation." "Permission denied," Captain Droiv replies, pursuing the lips at the end of his Rodian snout. "We can't lose any more pilots. That does present a problem, however. Does the squadron have thoughts we should take into account on this matter?"

Kivva speaks up for the first time since leaving the battlefield. "Not me," she says, obviously shaken. "Certainly not," Taav Taro says, shambling over from where he was being patched up. "You ought to be court-martialed for disobeying a superior officer's direct order! But the chain of command was... unclear, and I wasn't helping. I will also withdraw myself; I issued contradictory orders that cost us time and caused confusion." Captain Droiv looks at the four Liberators remaining in the running. "Then who?"

Thundercracker
2013-04-20, 12:14 PM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

"Thanas took charge after... you know," he said, "and the rest of us made it out alive, and we completed the mission. I say he gets to be the new flight leader."

Slick gave Thanas a sidelong glance and a raised eyebrow, as if to say: "what do you think?"

Rane126
2013-04-20, 01:15 PM
Ranas

"All my fighter experience is in single or pairs, I have no experience leading a full squadron. Thanas has knowledge of Imperial tactics and military background. He is better suited for squadron leader than I. He has my vote."

Philistine
2013-04-20, 08:33 PM
Herrick shrugs. "Hell, all my experience was in my folks' old freighter. But whoever you tap, the job's still gonna be 'Kill Imps,' right?" His fatigue seems to vanish momentarily as his features twist into a cold smile. "So it really doesn't matter to me."

Sossrim
2013-04-21, 09:21 PM
Captain Droiv listens calmly, carefully, to what each pilot has to say. "Flight Officer Renek, do you accept nomination?"

RandomLunatic
2013-04-21, 10:20 PM
"Yes, sir," Thanas said. He had been abotu to nominate himself, but Richter and Ranas had beaten him to the punch, and their endorsement had been better than any speech he could have improvised on the spot.

Sossrim
2013-04-22, 08:00 AM
"Very well," Captain Droiv says again. "And the rest of you?" A murmur of assent runs through those who offered no suggestion. "He kept the mission focused after we lost Lead," Kivva offers. Captain Droiv nods, pulling out a datapad to update the personnel files. "Congratulations, Officer Renek. You are now Liberator Leader. Your wingman," he indicates Herrick with the datapad stylus, "is now Liberator One. Officer Lakpan, you are Liberator Two." Lakpan offers a calm nod, returning to his characteristic silence.

"I am needed to debrief the Commander," Captain Droiv continues after a long pause. "We will work on replacing the pilot you lost; most likely, we will rotate in one of the Surprise Squadron pilots. It may be some time before your next mission, as we'll need to reevaluate our plans in the sector in light of Imperial awareness of our presence. Take advantage of that time however you see fit." He salutes the squadron, salutes Lieutenant Sadue, and turns to leave, his polished boots clicking on the hangar floor.

"If there's anything I can do," Lieutenant Sadue says with another strained smile, "just let me know. I'm sure you'll want some time to rest; we have beds, food, and stimcaf in the dormitories. Your comlinks have my personal comm code if you need to call me." She pauses for a moment, deep in thought. "I'm sorry about... about what happened." She turns away and walks toward the red-headed woman directing the repairs, and the orders drop off for a moment as the two have a quiet conversation.

With the briefing ended, Kivva runs over to Herrick, then awkwardly pulls up short, off-put by his cold smile. "They... they hit you pretty damn hard," she says, brushing sweat-slicked black hair out of her face. "Taav Taro needed a medical team. Are you... going to be ok?" Meanwhile Lakpan and Taav Taro walk over to solemnly shake hands with Thanas. "Congratulations," the Gran tells him, "and good luck." Equipment moves overhead to pull out the astromechs from each fighter, plopping them gently onto the hangar floor.

Thundercracker
2013-04-22, 09:11 AM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

"Thanas," he called, hustling up to the new squadron leader, "hey..., I was thinking... oh, uh... congrats."

The bearded man stuck his hands in his pockets, helmet still awkwardly tucked under one arm, for all the world looking like a kid asking for a piece of candy.

"You know, I don't want to see another... loss, like we had today," he said, "so I was thinking, the T-65B's shields could be more than doubled for about five thousand credits a ship, less if we could get a good deal. I don't think I need to explain what that'd mean for the rest of the squad. Do you think command would go for it? At least subsidize the funds?"

Philistine
2013-04-22, 10:31 AM
"Yeah, I'm just wrung-out," Xamol replies, the brief spark of animation fading from his features. "Musta sweated off five kilos, but my girl here saw me through- Oh. Wow." He half-turns back toward his fighter as he speaks, for the first time getting a good look at the damage from the outside. The jagged, blackened remains of his port engine nacelle particularly draw his eye, and for a moment all he can do is stare. "I was gonna say I'd brought the old Swan home in worse shape a time or two," he goes on, sounding subdued - almost awed. "Maybe not, though."

Rane126
2013-04-22, 11:07 AM
Ranas

Ranas smiles and shakes Thanas' hand, "Congratulations," he says after Richter had approached him on the ships' shields. "Welcome to squadron command."

RandomLunatic
2013-04-22, 01:07 PM
"Thank you, thank you," Thanas said, accepting a bevy of handshakes. "I didn'y say anything because I didn't knwo how you'd like having the ex-Imperial in charge. I can't tell you what your support means to me."

To Richter, he said, "That sounds wonderful, and a little above my pay grade. I'd talk to Lieutenant Sadue-jopefully, she's not as intractable on the matter as Imperial Command."

Rane126
2013-04-29, 01:01 AM
Ranas

Ranas walks over to the small squad of astromech droids that have been lifted from the star fighters. He stops, a little taken aback and confused. Which is which? He is saved as one rolls towards him with a tweedle. It has a silver dome with a red and black barrel like torso. "Ekseven?". The droids bleeps and affirmative and Ranas smiles. "I wanted to talk about recalibrating some of the controls, the throttle, I think we can work it to suit me a bit better, and the stick response. You think that's something you can help with? Well, once we've got her repaired. That missile explosion was a little too close for comfort."

Sossrim
2013-04-29, 05:40 PM
"You were lucky," Kivva says with a tight smile. "I just... wish we'd all been. You'll have to tell me about the Swan some time, once things... once things get back to normal. As much as they will, I mean." She seems to realize that she's rambling and stops short, twisting her long black hair around one finger and keeping her eyes down. "I'm glad you're ok, for what it's worth." She turns to leave, looking vaguely embarrassed and very tired, as the congratulations to Thanas start to fade.

One by one, the members of Liberator Squadron go their separate ways. The mission is over, the opening moves of the Rebel campaign made, and the time for rest and new preparations has begun.

Philistine
2013-04-30, 09:58 PM
Xamol nods distractedly as Kivva takes her leave, mumbling a farewell while he continues to stare at his broken ship. Finally he shakes his head, stepping closer to ritualistically touch his fingertips to his mouth, then to the painted face on the side of the nose. "Thanks, girl," he whispers, only to be startled out of his reverie by an electronic blatt!

He spins around, wobbling on his sore leg, to find a black-bodied astromech looking on. The droid launches into a complex sequence of beeps, chirps, hoots, clicks, and whistles that leaves the young pilot completely in the dark. "And thank you too, Raven," he half-smiles tiredly, guessing at what the droid might be trying to convey. "No translator link out here, though. Also, I'm way past tired, so anything complicated is just gonna hafta wait." He closes his eyes briefly and sways on his feet. "Lemme get some shuteye, then we'll see what we can do for our girl here." Raven's whistle sounds affirmative as Herrick stumbles away, and the droid rotates its top dome to follow his progress with its electronic eye until he passes from view. Then it rotates forward again and tracks back and forth over the length of the Longprobe, occasionally beeping softly to itself.

Thundercracker
2013-05-04, 11:48 PM
Richter "Slick" Torvai

Having made his case for stronger shields, Richter resisted the urge to go oversee the tech teams. He knew he didn't appreciate it when others told him how to do his job; that was one of the reasons he'd started his own business.

He wondered what the others had gotten up to, and wandered into the mess hall, looking for his fellow squadmates. Failing to notice any of them, he decided to help himself to some food, and wait for a while to see who showed up.

Rane126
2013-05-05, 12:52 PM
Ranas

After agreeing on settings with Ekseven, Ranas heads to take a sanisteam shower and change into a clean flight suit before hitting the mess hall for some food. He fills stray and, seeing his wingman, walks over and takes a seat. "How are you doing Slick?"

Thundercracker
2013-05-05, 07:18 PM
Richter 'Slick' Torvai

Richter stopped munching on whatever mystery meat it was and forced himself to swallow.

"Hey," he said, "I'm okay, how are you holding up?"

His voice was somewhat subdued, out of respect for their fallen comrade.

"Look," he said, "I put in a request to get some stronger shields for everyone's ships, but I dunno if they'll listen. Figured it was worth a try, right?"

Rane126
2013-05-06, 11:35 AM
Ranas

Ranas pushes the food around his plate while Richter talks. He looks up, "I am ok. I really didn't know Biiso, didn't get a chance to know him. It hurts seeing fellow pilots killed, but it isn't as bad as it could have been. In here you know?" Ranas taps his chest.

"The X-wing is a pretty robust fighter. Much better than anything I have flown before. For my part, I've agreed with my R2 unit on calibrating the controls on my ship to better suit my preferences. Hopefully it'll give me a little more of an edge for the next sortie. Stronger shields would be most welcome but they would cost creds though. I don't see that kind of upgrade happening any time soon. I wouldn't expect command to invest more into this sector until we've proven ourselves. A single series of successful sorties isn't enough of a track record to warrant that kind of attention. At least not in my expectations."