PDA

View Full Version : Feats that increase speed

Yogibear41
2013-03-22, 11:12 PM
Plan on playing a dwarf for an up and coming character, however I hate having a speed of only 20 feat, are their any feats or other things I can easily pick up to increase my speed? Feats that work for flight speed will also be beneficial, as I will be going warlock and will have access to flight soon.

gurgleflep
2013-03-22, 11:33 PM
Plan on playing a dwarf for an up and coming character, however I hate having a speed of only 20 feat, are their any feats or other things I can easily pick up to increase my speed? Feats that work for flight speed will also be beneficial, as I will be going warlock and will have access to flight soon.

The only feat I can think of offhand would be run. Depending on what you wear (since you're a warlock and likely won't wear armor, you probably won't have to worry about this part), it's x3 - x5 regular moving speed IIRC. I'd suggest looking it up in the Player's Handbook.

Edit: Talk with your DM and see if (s)he'll allow it to add to your flight speed. Mine all have, because they're pretty nice.... I used it for swim though.

TuggyNE
2013-03-22, 11:44 PM
The Dash feat adds 5' to your move speed. UA's Quick trait gives you +10' to move speed at the cost of 1 HP per HD (which can reduce you to 0 HP gained, in fact).

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-22, 11:45 PM
There's always Dash (CW) - +5ft to your base land speed if lightly (or not) armoured.

TaiLiu
2013-03-22, 11:57 PM
Well, if you don't mind dipping, a level of Cleric with the Celerity domain can grant you a plus ten to move speed among other things.

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-23, 03:10 AM

Have you considered a level of barbarian? That's how I got around it with a dwarf rogue of mine.

Waddacku
2013-03-23, 05:47 AM
There's also the Fleet of Foot regional feat for +10', but only in light armor or less.

gr8artist
2013-03-23, 06:18 AM
Boots of springing and striding.
or
Use the item creation guidelines to homebrew an item that's better than the BoSaS. The boots cost 5500 gold, and have two effects. A little bit of math later and you find that the cost for a 10' enhancement to move speed is a 2000 gold effect. Since most magical effect costs are bonus ^2 x (value), you could extract the value for move speed enhancement.
$=((movement increase in multiples of 5)^2)(20)
Which yields this chart:
+5' : 500
10' : 2,000
15' : 4,500
20' : 8,000
25' : 12,500
30' : 18,000
etc...
Then you just have a custom made wondrous item red-and-yellow spandex suit made at the highest price you can afford and just go to town.

Darrin
2013-03-23, 08:09 AM
There's also the Fleet of Foot regional feat for +10', but only in light armor or less.

Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment can pick that up as a domain power without actually being a cleric. If you need Knowledge: the Planes as a class skill, you can pick that up with a planar substitution level in the Planar Handbook.

Renen
2013-03-23, 09:39 AM
Dip psion. Grab that feat that gives you +10 speed while you have some power points left.

Edit: Found it Speed of though (http://dndtools.eu/feats/psionics-handbook-30--46/speed-of-thought--2690/)

sleepyphoenixx
2013-03-23, 10:25 AM
Dip psion. Grab that feat that gives you +10 speed while you have some power points left.

Edit: Found it Speed of though (http://dndtools.eu/feats/psionics-handbook-30--46/speed-of-thought--2690/)

Or just take Hidden Talent.

Renen
2013-03-23, 10:29 AM
I figured 1 level dip is less costly than another feat >_<

sleepyphoenixx
2013-03-23, 10:31 AM
It depends on what you want to do and what resources are allowd imo.
If you're allowed to take 2 flaws Hidden Talent is a lot more attractive,
especially if you want to play a caster.

jokeaccount
2013-03-23, 10:35 AM
If you're a warlock then you'll be maxing UMD. Just buy wands of expeditious retreat and casually add +30 to your movement speed whenever needed. It takes an action but it should cover the duration of most fights

BeserkerNike
2013-03-23, 07:37 PM
If you are playing pathfinder the only feat i can think of is Fleet it gives you +5 feet and you can take it multiple times

Malroth
2013-03-23, 08:44 PM
If you're a warlock then you'll be maxing UMD. Just buy wands of expeditious retreat and casually add +30 to your movement speed whenever needed. It takes an action but it should cover the duration of most fights

Take Obtain familliar for a talking raven that can use your UMD modifier and have it use its action to wand buff you. It'll have another free claw to hold a second wand too.

HalfQuart
2013-03-24, 11:50 AM
The Lists of Stuff (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) has a very extensive section on Speed Increase that may have something useful.

ShurikVch
2013-03-25, 07:37 PM
Feats that increase speed
Precocious Apprentice: Lively Step (PGtF) or/and Alter Self
Hidden Talent: Burst
Martial Study/Martial Stance: Wind Stride or/and Absolute Steel Stance

ericgrau
2013-03-25, 07:56 PM
I figured 1 level dip is less costly than another feat >_<
98% of the time a 1 level dip is more costly. A BAB, 3-4 hp and class features you actually use are better. Or on a caster you lose a caster level. And if it's not a caster you could use that level on fighter to get a feat AND a BAB + hp.

Now you might have to wait longer to get a feat than a class level, true, but then your answer is to dip something for a feat not to waste a level.

Psychic warrior is better than psion for a non-caster but usually there are still better ways. Unless you switch your entire build to psychic warrior.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-25, 07:59 PM
98% of the time a 1 level dip is more costly. A BAB, 3-4 hp and class features you actually use are better. Or on a caster you lose a caster level. And if it's not a caster you could use that level on fighter to get a feat AND a BAB + hp.

I'd argue that it's more helpful than that.

For instance, you could dip Cloistered Cleric, flip Knowledge Domain out for the Devotion, and still grab two relevant domain powers, as well as access to the entire Cleric spell list (for spell trigger items). If you have excellent BAB already (near-full), then I'd argue that the CC dip is better than losing a point of BAB.

ericgrau
2013-03-25, 08:02 PM
That shows even more how much a level is worth and why you shouldn't throw away an entire level just to save a feat. Or sorry if that was what you were trying to say, hard to tell on the internet.

Skysaber
2013-03-25, 08:12 PM
It's a bit of a backwards way to approach it, and costs 2 feats, not one, but Tunnel Riding (and it's prerequisite Tunnel Fighting) allow you to use a large mount in medium spaces at no penalty.

And mounts can get silly for speed.

Oh, sorry, 3 feats, as tunnel riding also requires mounted combat.