PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Wilder PrC?

Hyde
2013-03-22, 11:48 PM
I remember there being a Barbarian/Wilder PrC somewhere... am I just crazy?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-23, 12:04 AM
Not that I can find. Closest two are Anarchic Initiate (CPsi) or a psionic-adapted Rage Mage (CW).

Keld Denar
2013-03-23, 12:30 AM
Cerebral Rager from Hyperconsiousness. It is a "3rd party" book, but it was written by Bruce Cordell, who has some primary writing credits for the XPH, which most people consider to be a well written book (especially compared to 3.0 psionics).

Here is a review from an old thread:

Cerebral rager: 10 level PrC, ¾ BAB, good Fort, 8/10 ML progression. Needs either volatile mind or rage class features so the entry classes are going to be mix of barbarian and a manifesting class or straight wilder. The signature feature is cerebral rage, which gives +4 on your main manifesting stat for 3+ improved primary modifier rounds. It also gives you temporary PP equal to your class levels. Unlike Rage, you can manifest during a cerebral rage. You also gain a gaze attack of focused hate that deal 7d6, which later increases to 13d6 on a failed Fort save. While thematically sound more ML is better than improved primary ability, making this impractical for wilders and psions alike. A psywar might find the free gaze attacks and PP tempting.
Overall: 0 for psywar, -1 for all others

Psyren
2013-03-23, 06:11 AM
Yeah... as the review notes, it's not all that great a class. It doesn't advance regular rage (nor do regular rage uses let you Cerebral Rage more often) so there actually isn't a whole lot of theurging between barbarian and wilder happening here. It doesn't advance wild surge either, so you're basically giving up the best parts of both entry classes for... a minor stat boost a few times/day, and bumping up the stat boost eats your uses even faster. Also, a mediocre gaze attack. It grants no proficiencies to Wilders so it doesn't help them gish (and the d6 HD isn't doing it any favors there either), and it has nothing of interest for pure casters either. Worst of all, for Wilders you have to keep Volatile Mind - which is not only crappy in and of itself, but it means you miss out on the best ACF available to any Wilder, Educated.

In short, there is not much here to love or even like. It may lose less caster levels than Rage Mage, but at least Rage Mage was trying to create some synergy between the bases. This doesn't get anywhere with that goal, really.

If you want Wilder + Rage, I suggest you borrow the Raging Surge Wilder from Pathfinder instead.

Keld Denar
2013-03-23, 11:41 AM
Extra Rage (the feat) does grant +2 uses/day of ALL types of rage that you have. So if you took it, you could have 2 extra regular rages and 2 extra cerebral rages. Since you only need rage 1/day to take Extra Rage, the second you get your first cerebral rage, you'd already get it 3/day, which is convenient.

Psyren
2013-03-23, 11:58 AM
Extra Rage (the feat) does grant +2 uses/day of ALL types of rage that you have. So if you took it, you could have 2 extra regular rages and 2 extra cerebral rages. Since you only need rage 1/day to take Extra Rage, the second you get your first cerebral rage, you'd already get it 3/day, which is convenient.

Eh, I think if that were true it would have a more explicit clause, like the one in the Extra Smiting feat (which does explicitly apply to every kind of smite out there). If it did then I would look at this more favorably, but I wouldn't say it flies as-is, RAW.

RedDragons
2013-03-23, 03:22 PM
Benefit
You rage or frenzy two more times per day than you otherwise could.
Special
You can take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Good chunk of rage abilities are consider add ons to the basic rage, not things entirely themselves.

Example

1 is 1

when 1 levels up to gain 2 it is still considered a number

When 1 levels up to A , it counts as a use of number , but is called a letter.

So extra rage would work with 2, but not A

So greater , tireless, and mighty count as 2

depending on how you read spell rage you either make it a 2, or it counts as an A, and gets an entirely sperate usage of Rage, that is different from how many times you can use 2. As no point in the paragraph does it say it stacks with Barbarian rage.

I think you are healthiest thinking of this as a barbarian with psi abilties, and not a psi with barbarian anger issues