PDA

View Full Version : Custom exotic weapon

molten_dragon
2013-03-23, 09:00 AM
I have a player who wants to wield a falcata. I couldn't find stats for it. They asked for it to be an exotic one-handed weapon with 1d6 damage and a 19-20/x3 crit range. That doesn't seem too overpowered or underpowered to me, but what do you think?

ArcturusV
2013-03-23, 09:07 AM
Better than most one handed exotic weapons. But that's because one handed exotic weapons tend to be no better than simple/martial weapons in general. With a favorable crit mod and a threat range increase... might be worth it. Not going to say it's overly broken. Though you might want to limit it to just one damage type. Not sure what this weapon is supposed to be to say what damage type should be used.

I mean strictly speaking, it's better than existing Exotic Weapons. I mean you get exotic weapons like the Kama: 1d6 damage, x2 crit.

So if you're worried about that? Yeah, it's a bit of power creep. But since he has to burn a feat on it, why not?

EDIT: Though to be fair, you could probably just stat it out as a Scimitar in the game as well, making it only a Martial Weapon, and it would be perfectly fine.

hamishspence
2013-03-23, 09:09 AM
The Great Scimitar (Sandstorm) is the scimitar's bastard sword equivalent- it's D8, 18-20/x2.

19-20/x3 seems to be somewhat rare.

However, I have found one- the Flutter Blade in Underdark. D4, 19-20/x3, and does piercing damage when folded and slashing damage when unfolded.

Amnestic
2013-03-23, 09:13 AM
I have a player who wants to wield a falcata. I couldn't find stats for it. They asked for it to be an exotic one-handed weapon with 1d6 damage and a 19-20/x3 crit range. That doesn't seem too overpowered or underpowered to me, but what do you think?

So it's a handaxe (one handed, martial) changed to 19-20 instead of just 20 and made exotic?

No, it's not overpowered. It's perfectly reasonable for the cost of a feat (hell, it might even be an 'underpowered' option).

Xerxus
2013-03-23, 09:22 AM
The Falcata from Pathfinder is 1d8 19-20 (X3) and has some feats associated with it.

BeserkerNike
2013-03-23, 07:41 PM
Well for it to be 19-20/x3 wouldn't be overpowered.You make it 18-20/x2 if you want and it can have reach or trip
on the other hand there is a weapon called Minotaur Greathorn Hammer its a Two-Handed Exotic weapon with a crit range 18-20/x4 imagine that on a 10th level fighter in PF (Our DM said that we can take any Exotic weapon we want)

Jeff the Green
2013-03-23, 07:54 PM
It's underpowered, but so are basically all exotic weapons. Just have him use a kukri, longsword, or scimitar refluffed.

Andion Isurand
2013-03-24, 12:07 AM
Exotic Weapons are less underpowered if using the weapon groups variant, which I support for non-casters trying to line up useful treasure to work with their feats.