PDA

View Full Version : A line spell, practically infinite in length

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-23, 12:18 PM
As a relatively high-level spell (or power), with relatively low damage or something, how overpowered would it be? Doesn't necessarily have to literally infinite, since that would run into some pretty weird problems, but long enough that the end can't really be seen from the firing point etc. In most settings, the planet's shape would stop it from devastating such huge areas, especially if the damage is low enough as mentioned, and couldn't really be aimed properly from very far away. It would mostly be used as a visual effect anyway, but would be able to pass through most barriers.

If the basic idea isn't perfectly ridiculous, what level should the spell/power be and what other potentially unbalancing factors would I need to account for?

As a bonus and thanks in advance, an awesome video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXB9UuRLAcI) that played a part in the inspiration of this question.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-23, 12:32 PM
So, my first thought is "No," and here's why.

The balancing factor of this is that it wouldn't make a difference; you couldn't aim it anyway, you couldn't spot any targets at that range, etc, so it would make no difference. If this is the case, then it's pointless, and should not be in the game.

On the other hand, if someone's figured out a way around those, it's because they have something annoying and game-breaking they're trying to do, where this would actually be overpowered. So again, it should not be in the game.

Onerai
2013-03-23, 12:43 PM
Hmm, my immediate take on that is that it shouldn't pass through barriers - at least not any that it doesn't possess enough firepower to break. Essentially then the range of the spell, and the length of its line-area, becomes equal to its line-of-effect. If you can't see it, you can't blast it. That would be my first piece of common-sense advice, regardless of how cool and infinite line might be conceptually.

Other balancing factors that might make this work mechanically include giving the line range increments; in essence, the mage would have to "ranged touch attack" spaces outside the first range increment (which could safely be fairly large, maybe several hundred feet). Each increment threshold away the target is applies a stacking penalty with no cap. If the touch attack roll is failed, scatter the endpoint of the line similarly to missing with a splash weapon. Just some ideas.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-23, 12:46 PM
So, my first thought is "No," and here's why.

The balancing factor of this is that it wouldn't make a difference; you couldn't aim it anyway, you couldn't spot any targets at that range, etc, so it would make no difference. If this is the case, then it's pointless, and should not be in the game.

On the other hand, if someone's figured out a way around those, it's because they have something annoying and game-breaking they're trying to do, where this would actually be overpowered. So again, it should not be in the game.

Well, as I mentioned, it would mostly be used as a visual effect and perhaps as a magnificent finisher. :smalltongue:
I agree that it doesn't make sense as a spell that's in general use, but maybe as a custom spell designed by a very bombastic sorcerer (played by an anime fan)? "It can be abused if you try intentionally" is typically not a problem at all in my group, since we all realize that breaking the game equals breaking the fun. A simple verbal agreement solves basically any balance problems of that sort, for us at least. To be honest, I often wonder how difficult it seems to be for most groups to simply agree about this stuff.

EDIT: Saw Onerai's post. Yes, I just meant making it deal an amount of damage that would allow it to pass through most normal barriers (not adamantine or force walls, for example) without being otherwise gamebreaking.

Your idea about range increments is a good one. If I still wanted it to be usable as a relatively long-range attack spell in combat, what would be reasonable? Longbows are a good starting point: they have a range increment of 100 ft., but you have to compensate for distance or pull the bow further, etc. The beam effect, on the other hand, couldn't be aimed quite so precisely. If we don't just ignore game balance either (we shouldn't), touch attacks are easier to hit with. In the end, I think a 100ft. increment would be relatively balanced, with either a very high or nonexistant cap on the number of increments?

Flickerdart
2013-03-23, 12:55 PM
For a visual effect, fluff will suffice. Mechanics are not really relevant.

It's technically possible already - grab a dragon with a line breath weapon and Enlarge Breath a few thousand times. You just won't be able to use it again for a long while.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-23, 01:03 PM
For a visual effect, fluff will suffice. Mechanics are not really relevant.

It's technically possible already - grab a dragon with a line breath weapon and Enlarge Breath a few thousand times. You just won't be able to use it again for a long while.
Yes, fluff can indeed do anything (except, well, mechanics). However, then some logic problems would ensue, such as:
"If the beam continues into the sunset, why are only things within a couple hundred feet affected?"
"How come the sorcerer gets such a cool tool for free?" (probably not in my case, but still)
"Can we use it to signal our allies on the other side of the world, since it won't hurt anyone anyway?"

Basically, some fluff just needs to be backed up by mechanics. Fluff should be used to aid verisimilitude, not damage it.

jindra34
2013-03-23, 01:13 PM
So essentially its a line that is somewhere around 1 mile long per caster level, and dealing maybe 1 or 2 damage per caster level?

Amnestic
2013-03-23, 04:06 PM

Can Enlarge Breath stack with itself? It's not called out in the feat description like Clinging Breath...but it's used as an example when talking about using more than one metabreath feat at a time. Sigh :smallsigh:

Malroth
2013-03-23, 04:13 PM
Well Enlarge breath scales exponentially with delay so while it might take 9 extra rounds for a colossal dragon to stretch its 140 foot long breath weapon to 1 mile long it only takes 25 extra rounds to shoot it 10,000 miles and only 81 rounds to shoot something 1 lightyear away