PDA

View Full Version : What can be combined with martial strikes?

RedDragons
2013-03-23, 02:18 PM
I am confused, can you Smite when you use a manuever from TOB? Are you allowed to combined other actions with them? Or are they all unstackable?

Daftendirekt
2013-03-23, 02:22 PM
I'd say you could Smite on top of a maneuver, but I can't think of anything else. Most things have a listed action required, and those don't stack obviously. However, Smiting is something you just get to add on, it's not an action in its own right.

Douglas
2013-03-23, 02:35 PM
Anything that modifies an attack can be combined with a strike. Anything that is its own attack cannot.

Smite Evil modifies an attack, so it can be combined with a strike.

Big Fau
2013-03-23, 03:55 PM
You can Smite things, but you can't use a maneuver's attack to perform a Bull Rush or Trip attempt (unless that maneuver states otherwise).

Coidzor
2013-03-23, 04:00 PM
Sneak attack, say, right?

Douglas
2013-03-23, 04:02 PM
Yes, sneak attack works just fine with strikes.

Wings of Peace
2013-03-23, 04:14 PM
Power Attack can be combined with Martial Strikes which is a fairly big deal.

IncoherentEssay
2013-03-23, 04:58 PM
Deep Impact. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#deepImpact) Any strike (say, Diamond Nightmare Blade) as a touch attack ? Yes please.

Lans
2013-03-23, 07:38 PM
Snap Kick, and whirling frenzy

Rubik
2013-03-23, 10:53 PM
The factotum's ability to add their Int modifier to attacks and damage.

The charge on a touch spell (assuming the maneuver can be used with unarmed strikes).

The spell stored in a spell-storing weapon.

Arcane strike.

The dungeoncrasher's dungeoncrashing ability, assuming you have a brutal surge weapon, or something similar, such that the attack you make becomes a bull rush.

Urpriest
2013-03-23, 11:05 PM
It's pretty simple, really. Anything that modifies attacks can modify any strike that lets you make an attack (note that there are some strikes that don't), just as it can modify anything else (spells, special abilities) that lets you make an attack. Anything that takes its own action can't be combined with a strike because in any game involving resource management you can't spend the same resource on two different things unless something states otherwise. Things that turn the attack into something else (trip, grapple attempts) are the only gray area, and those are explicitly not allowed with strikes.

Rubik
2013-03-23, 11:16 PM
It's pretty simple, really. Anything that modifies attacks can modify any strike that lets you make an attack (note that there are some strikes that don't), just as it can modify anything else (spells, special abilities) that lets you make an attack. Anything that takes its own action can't be combined with a strike because in any game involving resource management you can't spend the same resource on two different things unless something states otherwise. Things that turn the attack into something else (trip, grapple attempts) are the only gray area, and those are explicitly not allowed with strikes.Would you be able to use a wolf's trip attack on a strike? It's not Improved Trip, but anything hit by the bite attack is affected as though hit by a trip attempt after the attack is made.

Urpriest
2013-03-23, 11:22 PM
Would you be able to use a wolf's trip attack on a strike? It's not Improved Trip, but anything hit by the bite attack is affected as though hit by a trip attempt after the attack is made.

Well, the rules do say you can't combine special attacks with strikes, period...but this is an aftereffect of hitting with an attack, not actually combining the special attack with the strike, so it should still work. Not abundantly clear though.

Yeah, that line is pretty much the one grey area.

Metahuman1
2013-03-24, 12:41 AM
Duskblade Arcane channeling works I believe, as does Knowledge devotion.

I think if your treated as high enough level to use it's final form, Monk's decisive strike AFC works.

Greenish
2013-03-24, 12:45 AM
Duskblade Arcane channeling works I believe, as does Knowledge devotion.Duskblade's Arcane Channeling from level 3 obviously doesn't work, but the 13th level ability may be a bit more muddled. It says that "you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action", and certain maneuvers (say, Time Stands Still) allow you to make a full attack action as a part of the maneuver, so that might work.

Rubik
2013-03-24, 01:25 AM
I'm curious about how you'd resolve an initiator Polymorphed into a hydra.

Greenish
2013-03-24, 01:35 AM
I'm curious about how you'd resolve an initiator Polymorphed into a hydra.Like anything else polymorphed into a hydra – with a rolled-up newspaper applied directly to the head. :smallcool:

Devronq
2013-03-24, 03:46 AM
I'm curious about how you'd resolve an initiator Polymorphed into a hydra.

Whats an initiator and whats the synergy with being a hydra?

Rubik
2013-03-24, 03:59 AM
Whats an initiator and whats the synergy with being a hydra?"Initiator" is like "spellcaster," only rather than casting spells you initiate maneuvers.

As for as the hydra goes, hydras have a natural ability (since it's not marked as Sp, Su, Ps, or Ex) to attack with all of their heads whenever they make a single attack action, which lends itself to using maneuvers (possibly).

Let's say you've got a Polymorphed crusader hydra using the 4th level Devoted Spirit maneuver Divine Surge, that deals +8d8 damage to one attack as a standard action. A 7-headed hydra can make a bite attack with all of its heads whenever it would otherwise make one. Would you add +8d8 damage to each bite attack? If so, that's a nice fat +56d8 without even considering bite damage, Strength bonuses, or Power Attack.