PDA

View Full Version : Warlocks and Flying question

Yogibear41
2013-03-23, 03:38 PM
Okay im looking at both the Fell Flight Invocation for Warlocks, and The Celestial Flight Invocation gained by the Enlightened Spirit Prestige Class.

Basically What I want to know is if you are paralyzed while flying using these invocations will you be able to maintain flight, according to the paralyzed definition from the players handbook a paralyzed character can take purely mental actions.

Now I know to summon the ability to fly in the first place you have to perform somatic components but once the actual abilities are in place, is it possible to maintain flight simply from mental commands.

The description of Celestial flight says you grow wings, however it never says you actually fly using sololy these wings and says that: "the powers of light bear you aloft as you sprout shimmering wings."

Fell flight says something similar about darkness and a winglike cape of shadows.

I know this is probably a long shot but I'm just checking anyway.

EDIT: on a side note any reliable way to not die from falling damage if something like this happens to you? Or any ways to prevent it all together? Sometimes falling but not dying can be just as bad.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-23, 03:46 PM
When flight is granted by magic, it's typically considered a magical means of flight unless stated otherwise. Stating that the magical effect granting flight has a visual effect does not explicitly cause the magical flight to rely on that visual effect to function unless it specifically says so. Both Fell Flight and Celestial Flight are magical in nature, and require no physical action to maintain.

Also, Ring of Feather Falling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#featherFalling).

nedz
2013-03-23, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that Celestial Flight is just a re-fluff of Fell Flight. In any event they both give you Good manoeuvrability which doesn't require forward movement to stay aloft. So basically you would stay hovering until you were no longer paralysed, or the duration expires.