PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Bane and Maximize

Yogibear41
2013-03-23, 07:14 PM
Does applying maximize spell like ability to something such as an eldritch blast that has already been enhanced with mortal bane also maximize the mortal bane damage?

Yogibear41
2013-03-25, 12:37 AM
Anyone know out there?

The Viscount
2013-03-25, 12:44 AM
My instinct would be to say no, for the same reason a critical hit does not double sneak attack damage. I may very well be wrong. I don't have a clear RAW answer for you, but that's my thought. Have you asked the simple RAW thread? The clever boffins there usually have more solid RAW ruling.

Yogibear41
2013-03-25, 12:48 AM
I feel specialer makings my own threads :smallcool:

If I don't ever get a solid answer here I suppose I will have to give that thread a shot.

The Viscount
2013-03-25, 09:39 PM
Going off of weapon-like spells rules, I assume mortalbane is treated like any other bonus damage, and not treated as part of the spell for certain effects like critical hits and maximize.

Yogibear41
2013-03-25, 10:25 PM
"A mortalbane ability is a damaging spell-like ability
that deals 2d6 points of additional damage when used
against living nonoutsiders, but only half damage (rounded
down) against outsiders, undead, and constructs."

IDK the way this reads it makes me think that maximize would affect it.

Posted in the big thread also and still no reply

Just found a post where a guy talked about using mortalbane and maximize together for max damage, so I guess until I find something to dispute this I will consider mortalbane damage maximize-able.

Otodetu
2013-04-19, 05:08 PM
What about gauntlets of eldritch admixture, they can add up to 4d6 points of elemental damage, what happens if you use those and maximize, and then use glaive to fork it?

Yogibear41
2013-04-19, 08:56 PM
I would say those aren't part of the maximize, the only reason I say that mortalbane is, is that reading the text it seems to be it does not modify the existing ability, but changes it into a new one so that it becomes a mortal bane eldritch blast.

Then again perhaps I'm just trying to hard.

Ironically I've gotten to level 3 since this post and have hit nothing but undead with the blast... so haven't even used it lol