PDA

View Full Version : Please define what is adventuring, adventurer and adventure

Jon_Dahl
2013-03-24, 02:48 AM
I'd like to hear your definition of what is adventuring, adventure and adventurer within the context of RPGs.

ArcturusV
2013-03-24, 02:55 AM
Adventuring is the venture into an unknown circumstance where you must rely on your reflexes, wisdom, and power to navigate a safe way to the result you want.

Adventurers are those who are remarkable from the rest of the population in that they seek out danger, mystery, and hardship for various purposes which are usually personally defined.

Adventure, a series of circumstances where you risk life, limb, fate, or something else, going through great danger and trials to eventually uncover some reward, be it personal truth, historical, treasure, etc.

Hyena
2013-03-24, 03:22 AM
Adventurer is a murderous sociopath with absolutely no respect to the life, the law or private property whose main job is adventuring. Other hobbies of the adventurer include murder of city guards and shopkeepers, slave trade, sexual harassment of barmaids and, sometimes, bounty hunting.
Adventuring is a job that includes killing people and taking their property. Said property is used to make next adventure easier.
Adventure is a single act of killing people and taking their property.

Fighter1000
2013-03-24, 03:55 AM
Adventuring is going out of a settlement to complete some sort of objective. The objective could be treasure, rescuing an important noble's daughter, investigating ancient ruins, killing a bad guy. This usually involves combat and the disarming of traps. The adventuring process will usually include a ton of death and destruction, not to mention FUN!

An Adventurer is a total badass, or at least he/she is supposed to be. These epic badasses get together with other epic badasses and be awesome. When they complete their first adventure and get a ton of treasure, do they settle down and start a family, maybe even buying a title of nobility and estate? Nope. They simply keep on adventuring for whatever reason, be it greed, duty, or simple restlessness. Whoever these "Adventurers" are, they will make a name for themselves in the campaign world [if they don't die]

An Adventure is a series of encounters. These encounters are usually a challenge of some sort for the players, be it a conversation with a stubborn NPC, or combat with a monster, or a devious trap.

Jay R
2013-03-24, 10:05 AM
I suspect that any definition we come up with would be either so narrow that it would leave out many standards of the genre (mystery adventures, political adventures, city adventures), or so wide that it could include anything (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0206.html).

Mastikator
2013-03-24, 10:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOt3gTUSQU
This about sums it up.

Bovine Colonel
2013-03-24, 01:45 PM
Elan knows where it's at. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0206.html)

JackRose
2013-03-24, 02:16 PM
As I think of them, in terms of a D&D game-

Adventurer: The main profession of most PCs (some games, of course, might have your PCs as soldiers, diplomats, bandits, pirates, rulers, guards, contract killers, etc)- someone who spends their time exploring, killing monsters, digging up ruins, etc, with or without a contract from a third party. NPC adventurers may also exist, as allies, rivals, or enemies to the PCs

Adventuring: The activities described above.

Adventure: Somewhere between an Encounter and a Plot Arc. IE, "There are three orcs and a trap in this room," is an Encounter, "Clear the orcs from the old abandoned castle, and disable the traps so the Duke's soldiers can garrison it," is an Adventure, "Stop the genocidal Duke from wiping out all the Orcs in what he claims to be his ancestral lands," is an Plot Arc. Notes that, depending on your GM and the structure of your campaign, Encounters may or may not be part of a larger Adventure, and Adventurers may or may not be part of a larger Plot Arc. Plot Arcs, in turn, may or may not be part of a Myth-Arc.

Big Fau
2013-03-24, 02:36 PM
Adventurer is the politically correct term for describing a Nomadic Homocidal Kleptomaniac.

Fixed that for you.

Gnome Alone
2013-03-24, 06:44 PM
I'm all over ArcturusV's definitions- pretty much sums it up. Except I kind of hate the whole conceit of there being an entire social class of people called "adventurers" in the 1st place - it cheapens the concept of adventure. Been there, murdered that.

Urpriest
2013-03-24, 07:18 PM
An Adventurer is a character who resembles a protagonist in a Dungeonpunk setting. An Adventure then is a typical Dungeonpunk plot, while Adventuring is a profession common to Dungeonpunk protagonists.

Sith_Happens
2013-03-24, 07:35 PM
I'm all over ArcturusV's definitions- pretty much sums it up. Except I kind of hate the whole conceit of there being an entire social class of people called "adventurers" in the 1st place - it cheapens the concept of adventure. Been there, murdered that.

It's a rather inevitable consequence of the vast wealth that "adventuring" tends to bring in, though.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-24, 08:08 PM
Adventurer: One who adventures.

Adventuring: The act of participating in an adventure.''

Adventure: An exciting or remarkable experience, which usually involves had damn well better involve danger and unknown risks.

snoopy13a
2013-03-24, 08:08 PM
An adventure can be anything from visiting Elves to sailing towards far-away-shores to climbing trees.

Adventuring, of course, is being on an adventure.

Adventurers are those on adventures. Many, if not most, adventurers are amateurs; others are professionals. Of particular note, Halflings, when they do adventure, usually do so with powerful wizards.

Jay R
2013-03-25, 09:21 AM
You've gotten answers simplistic, sarcastic, and silly. If you want a serious answer, I suspect you'll need to give us the context and purpose of the question.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-25, 09:38 AM
Fixed that for you.
I think the word you're think of is Homicidal, unless the games you play in have a certain rather disturbing tone to them. :smallamused:

Slipperychicken
2013-03-25, 11:47 AM
I think the word you're think of is Homicidal, unless the games you play in have a certain rather disturbing tone to them. :smallamused:

They kill a lot of nonhumans, demihumans, spirits, and deities too, so Omnicidal is a better fit. Omnicidal is a word, right?

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-25, 12:33 PM
They kill a lot of nonhumans, demihumans, spirits, and deities too, so Omnicidal is a better fit. Omnicidal is a word, right?
Well, yeah, "omnicidal" is a word and rather appropriate for this context, but I really doubt he managed to totally misspell half the word. :smallwink:

Frozen_Feet
2013-03-25, 12:42 PM
"Adventurer", when not sanctioned by laws of the government present, stands for a pirate, graverobber, thief, burglar, bandit, outlaw, barbarian, criminal, mafioso, raider, smuggler etc. etc.

"Adventurer", when sanctioned by laws of the government present, stands for privateer, explorer, bounty-hunter, mercenary, crusader, soldier, police, navy, borderguard, traveling merchant etc. etc.

The common vein in "adventuring" is leaving your place of residence, going off to some other, far-away place, relieving inhabitants of that other place from their possession (often violently), and then returning home with your new-found riches. Often, this involves considerable personal risks.

Adventurers, in general, are those who are compelled to act and move rather than be passive and stay put. The reasons behind this urge vary: it may be sense of duty, greed, religious calling, a natural disaster, politics, or simple restlesness and inability to be satisfied with even life. Those adventurers who get the chance to settle down, but don't, often are adrenaline junkies or attention whores - their life simply is not complete without that next thrilling experience or taste of fame. Those adventurers who act against the law have high tendency to be sociopaths or otherwise mentally disorderous.

An adventure can be almost anything - it is, simply put, a journey from place A to place B while experiencing something new. Each day of your life could be an adventure, in some form or another.

Jon_Dahl
2013-03-25, 01:26 PM
You've gotten answers simplistic, sarcastic, and silly. If you want a serious answer, I suspect you'll need to give us the context and purpose of the question.

The answers are quite good, I see nothing wrong in them. Carry on.

Jenfrag
2013-03-25, 01:50 PM
Adventurer One that seeks adventure, esp one who seeks success or money through daring exploits

Adventure a risky undertaking of unknown outcome, an exciting or unexpected event or course of events, a hazardous financial operation; commercial speculation