PDA

View Full Version : Another option for filling out the Order

SavageWombat
2013-03-24, 12:12 PM
Namely - I don't think they will.

I know that, from a tactical gaming standpoint, they need to replace lost members or be severely weakened - but this comic isn't about tactical gaming.

I have trouble thinking that the Giant is going to add new main viewpoint characters at this late stage. Durkon and Belkar will continue to be the other members of the team, even while dead and vamped. Just like Roy was when he was dead.

I know we're not sure how the Order can function without a primary healer, but I think we all trust Rich to have an answer to that question.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-24, 12:15 PM
I know that, from a tactical gaming standpoint, they need to replace lost members or be severely weakened - but this comic isn't about tactical gaming.

Well if they class choices and ability scores are any hint, that's for sure!

Bravo
2013-03-24, 09:25 PM
On one hand, I understand that suddenly adding a new member of the team would be jarring, to say the least. On the other hand, it would be an excellent opportunity to parody the awkwardness inherent to someone joining a D&D game mid-campaign. Naruto handled the idea of "unwanted new teammate" well with Sai, and I'm sure there are plenty of ways it could be done.

Lvl45DM!
2013-03-24, 09:43 PM
On one hand, I understand that suddenly adding a new member of the team would be jarring, to say the least. On the other hand, it would be an excellent opportunity to parody the awkwardness inherent to someone joining a D&D game mid-campaign. Naruto handled the idea of "unwanted new teammate" well with Sai, and I'm sure there are plenty of ways it could be done.

This comic is JUST BARELY a parody of D&D anymore. No friggin way Giant is bringing in a new character just to make a joke

kxm
2013-03-24, 10:53 PM
I agree, I don't think the Order will ever officially "add a new member." The comic is really about the 6 members, and if one or more of them die, that's part of the story.

That being said, there's a good chance they'll travel with O-Chul and Lien for a little bit, just because they're already at Kraagor's Gate.

Codyage
2013-03-24, 11:04 PM
SSDT Spoiler

I think if they found a way to rez Psteve, he could be a good replacement.

To be fair Psteve's appearance was short, but he does deserve another chance. His body wasn't entirely destroyed.

Shred-Bot
2013-03-25, 03:39 PM
This comic is JUST BARELY a parody of D&D anymore. No friggin way Giant is bringing in a new character just to make a joke

Well the awkwardness of bringing a new person into an established group is by no means exclusive to D&D. And actually I would much more expect him to bring a new character in as a joke (i.e. a one-strip appearance) than as a permanent addition.

That being said the Order doesn't have time to post something on MonsterManual.com (Cliffport's #1 job search site!) so I doubt we'll be going down this road.

Olinser
2013-03-25, 04:01 PM

I have trouble thinking that the Giant is going to add new main viewpoint characters at this late stage. Durkon and Belkar will continue to be the other members of the team, even while dead and vamped. Just like Roy was when he was dead.

I know we're not sure how the Order can function without a primary healer, but I think we all trust Rich to have an answer to that question.

If they can't get Durkon back, I can't help but think that the only REAL candidate for his replacement is O-Chul (or possibly Lien).

Starwaster
2013-03-25, 05:40 PM
I suppose Miko is out of the question... even if she weren't demised?

Shred-Bot
2013-03-25, 05:44 PM
I suppose Miko is out of the question... even if she weren't demised?

Well now that Durkon's gone, adding Miko to the group would run a serious risk of TPK (since she and Windstriker did beat the remaining 5... twice (granted once with screwy weather)).

Grogmir
2013-03-25, 06:12 PM

I agree they wont need to replace anyone. But for different reasons. While it might take a few comics. Probably until after then end of this gate, the 6 protagonists will be back together.

We know Durkula will be getting his free will back and Belkar aint dead yet. (My own theory is he wont die until the end of the last comic.)

The order will be in one piece going into the last book/gate, yes D will be a vamp, but that's actually given him quite a power boost in the short term.

DrBurr
2013-03-26, 10:45 PM
SSDT Spoiler

I think if they found a way to rez Psteve, he could be a good replacement.

To be fair Psteve's appearance was short, but he does deserve another chance. His body wasn't entirely destroyed.

The Dragon Magazine Strips are a different continuity of the Order. So I don't think thats in the cards

Kish
2013-03-27, 05:18 AM
More to the point...Psteve. Even his name is a psion joke.

The joke is made, and he's not coming back.

Silverionmox
2013-03-27, 06:30 AM
If they can't get Durkon back, I can't help but think that the only REAL candidate for his replacement is O-Chul (or possibly Lien).It's practically a given that they'll hookup with those two at or close to Kraagor's gate. Paladins have just enough for emergency healing, so it won't seem like the Order saved the world by pure luck.

Emulgator
2013-03-27, 04:39 PM
Leeky Windstaff probably doesn't have much to do now.

SavageWombat
2013-03-27, 04:42 PM
Leeky Windstaff probably doesn't have much to do now.

And his new wolf animal companion would make a great replacement for Belkar!

Raineh Daze
2013-03-28, 03:54 AM
O-Chul would be a bad choice of healer. Too few paladin levels, not enough Charisma.

Great for dealing with the MitD, though.

King of Nowhere
2013-03-28, 11:54 AM
I also think we will see a new character as a one-strip joke, and then durkon will rejoin the order as a free willed vampire.

I strongly suspect that the one-strip joke character will be the cameo for the guy who paid 5000 $ for the kickstarter. When the fundraising was launched, rich said that the came would take place within a year; we all know his schedule was pushed back by several factors, so now would probably be the right timing for it, and it would be the perfect place.

Bulldog Psion
2013-03-29, 04:44 PM
This comic needs more druids. That is all. :smallwink: