PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Check!

SowZ
2013-03-24, 02:14 PM
So, I am playing in a game with a friend. Should be a one or two shot. I know the group is pretty low op and the DM can get stressed when people are too strong. But we rolled stats in order. My final tally:
Str: 10
Dex: 12
Con: 9
Int: 16
Wis: 13
Cha: 9

I went with Lesser Tiefling and Middle Aged, bumped my Int, (level 5 starting,) and bought a +2 Headband to get my Int to 22 since this stat array is suitable for an Int caster and not much else.

My HP is 11, though. I've managed to get a 20 AC, but I'm squishy. That's fine. Weaknesses are okay.

So I decided to let everyone else get all the kills and play a buffer/battlefield controller. But not too strong, just good enough to keep the battles from going south. My typical spells prepared list-

0: Daze, Daze, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Message
1: Charm, Enlarge Person, Prot. Evil, Sleep, Distract Assailant, (Free spell)
2: Daze Monster, Bull's Strength, Rope Trick, False Life, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
3: Suggestion, Hideous Laughter, Haste

Hummingbird Familiar. Feats: Spell Focus (Enchantment,) Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Improved Initiative?

I have Feycraft Twilight Studded Leather, a MW crossbow, an Amulet of Nat. AC, and a Wand of Shield.

Without being too high op, do ya'll think this will be a decent buffer/controller? Are there important buff spells I've forgotten? The one I will probably be buffing the most is a Paladin, (who rolled crazy good, btw. Without race or items, she should have 16, 16, 16, 15, 13, 14.)

Flickerdart
2013-03-24, 02:20 PM
How many party member do you have? War Weaver will be a good fit for a buffing character if there are many party members that can use the buffs.

SowZ
2013-03-24, 02:23 PM
How many party member do you have? War Weaver will be a good fit for a buffing character if there are many party members that can use the buffs.

Just me, a Rogue, and the Paladin.

Callin
2013-03-24, 02:26 PM
with only 3 people in the party i would get a little bit of offensive power. not enough to blow the dynamic away but enough to pull your bacon outta the fire

SowZ
2013-03-24, 02:34 PM
with only 3 people in the party i would get a little bit of offensive power. not enough to blow the dynamic away but enough to pull your bacon outta the fire

It may be a good idea. It is what the dazes and such are for, though, buying me time to run around a corner and rope trick. Since I am not optimized for blasting and have such a low Dex, I figure I get more damage out of a Bull's Strength than a Scorching Ray.

Maybe I should pack something, but I don't see much that would make enough a difference to be worth it without sacrificing one of my second or third level slots.

Randomguy
2013-03-24, 02:53 PM
If I were you I wouldn't go middle aged. You can't afford the con penalty.

Flickerdart
2013-03-24, 02:55 PM
Distract Assailant will be a great help for the rogue, and as a level 1 swift action spell it costs you practically nothing to use.

SowZ
2013-03-24, 03:11 PM
Distract Assailant will be a great help for the rogue, and as a level 1 swift action spell it costs you practically nothing to use.

Noice, thanks!

If I were you I wouldn't go middle aged. You can't afford the con penalty.

I wouldn't have, but I already have 9 anyway.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-24, 03:11 PM
Personally, I'd consider an item of Constitution, because with that few hit points, a stiff breeze could knock you out. It's not a matter of optimization so much as survival.

Also, seconding not going Middle Aged. Weakness is one thing, but basically anything which hits will KO you in one shot (three if you're really lucky). Unless you enjoy being KO'd in the first round, I recommend getting that Con up to 10 if not 12.

Spuddles
2013-03-24, 04:47 PM
Hideous laughter is a second level spell. Any reason it's in a third level slot?

Get a ring of deflection instead of the ammy. Touch AC.

Get command undead. Great if you ever have to go into a crypt.

You should focus evocation instead of save-or-dies. Saying save vs die dc a lot is a sure way to piss a dm off. Hitting for 4d6 scorching ray damage no prob.

Why craft arms for a one shot?

False life lasts hours. Put one up when you begin adventuring.

Enlarge person would be useful on paladin, for reach.

SowZ
2013-03-24, 05:05 PM
Hideous laughter is a second level spell. Any reason it's in a third level slot?

Get a ring of deflection instead of the ammy. Touch AC.

Get command undead. Great if you ever have to go into a crypt.

You should focus evocation instead of save-or-dies. Saying save vs die dc a lot is a sure way to piss a dm off. Hitting for 4d6 scorching ray damage no prob.

Why craft arms for a one shot?

False life lasts hours. Put one up when you begin adventuring.

Enlarge person would be useful on paladin, for reach.

Just a mistake on the Laughter. I intentionally don't want to play a blaster, really. I'd rather let the Rogue and Paladin do the killing. I don't have any true save or dies, though Hideous Laughter may as well be.

Craft Arms because I bet he'll let me craft something for everyone, at least for myself, and start with better gear. Plus, we may pick it up again later in the summer. If not, it was a free bonus feat so meh.

Hmm, you're right. I should false life at the beginning of the day. Not use it when desperate.

I prefer the ring, but it is 1000 gold more. My starting gold won't allow it.

Yeah, I'll learn Command Undead and prep it depending on where I am going.

Spuddles
2013-03-24, 05:29 PM
What source are using that has amulet and ring priced differently? The formula for both are bonus squared times 2000 gp.

Daze Monster, Hideous Laughter, Sleep, Suggestion are all save or die/lose horribly.

A scorching ray or fireball isn't going to make the paladin or rogue feel bad. Most enemies will only be weakened, not killed, and with your init score, you can let the pally great cleave finish the enemy.

If you want to be a team player, get web, glitterdust (great for rogue), slow, and prep an extra haste.

I just see a lot of enhantments that are kinda OP for a low OP game, esp with 22 int and spell focus enchantment. My DM hates that kind of ****, anyway.

SowZ
2013-03-24, 06:24 PM
What source are using that has amulet and ring priced differently? The formula for both are bonus squared times 2000 gp.

Daze Monster, Hideous Laughter, Sleep, Suggestion are all save or die/lose horribly.

A scorching ray or fireball isn't going to make the paladin or rogue feel bad. Most enemies will only be weakened, not killed, and with your init score, you can let the pally great cleave finish the enemy.

If you want to be a team player, get web, glitterdust (great for rogue), slow, and prep an extra haste.

I just see a lot of enhantments that are kinda OP for a low OP game, esp with 22 int and spell focus enchantment. My DM hates that kind of ****, anyway.

Maybe I'll switch the bonus to Int to a bonus to Con to lower my Int Score. Daze Monster just takes away one turn. I don't think the DM will think it is too OP. Maybe I should swap out Hideous Laughter, though.

Since sleep targets weaker enemies, I don't think the DM will mind taking out a bunch of Mooks. Wizard AoE are expected to do that.

Your right about the amulet. Somehow I thought it was only 1000.

Spuddles
2013-03-24, 06:32 PM
Maybe I'll switch the bonus to Int to a bonus to Con to lower my Int Score. Daze Monster just takes away one turn. I don't think the DM will think it is too OP. Maybe I should swap out Hideous Laughter, though.

Since sleep targets weaker enemies, I don't think the DM will mind taking out a bunch of Mooks. Wizard AoE are expected to do that.

That's true. Sleep also has a full round casting time and a lot of stuff is immune. I'ts a fairly expected spell.

Well placed Grease & Glitterdust and the rogue will LOVE you.

Are you allowed access to non-core material? Benign Transposition at low levels is awesome. High levels, too, for that matter. Very party friendly. Spell Compendium. Move people around the battle field. Works particularly well with a flying familiar.

I would recommend ray of enfeeblement. Personally, I never take the spell because it is totally weak sauce and misses too often for it to ever be worth it. Without a source of healing in the party, though, it might be useful to have for when the paladin goes toe-to-toe with the raging ogre barbarian.

Pickford
2013-03-24, 11:12 PM
So, I am playing in a game with a friend. Should be a one or two shot. I know the group is pretty low op and the DM can get stressed when people are too strong. But we rolled stats in order. My final tally:
Str: 10
Dex: 12
Con: 9
Int: 16
Wis: 13
Cha: 9

I went with Lesser Tiefling and Middle Aged, bumped my Int, (level 5 starting,) and bought a +2 Headband to get my Int to 22 since this stat array is suitable for an Int caster and not much else.

My HP is 11, though. I've managed to get a 20 AC, but I'm squishy. That's fine. Weaknesses are okay.

So I decided to let everyone else get all the kills and play a buffer/battlefield controller. But not too strong, just good enough to keep the battles from going south. My typical spells prepared list-

0: Daze, Daze, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound, Message
1: Charm, Enlarge Person, Prot. Evil, Sleep, Distract Assailant, (Free spell)
2: Daze Monster, Bull's Strength, Rope Trick, False Life, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
3: Suggestion, Hideous Laughter, Haste

Hummingbird Familiar. Feats: Spell Focus (Enchantment,) Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Improved Initiative?

I have Feycraft Twilight Studded Leather, a MW crossbow, an Amulet of Nat. AC, and a Wand of Shield.

Without being too high op, do ya'll think this will be a decent buffer/controller? Are there important buff spells I've forgotten? The one I will probably be buffing the most is a Paladin, (who rolled crazy good, btw. Without race or items, she should have 16, 16, 16, 15, 13, 14.)

What spells did you pick each level? And what did you buy? (You have three different 3rd level spells listed so you've bought at least one is why I ask.) edit: noticed it's hideous laughter...although you still have 5 2nd level spells which is 1 more than you need (see below)

Are you playing 3.0 or 3.5 and what if any homebrew? (This makes a big difference on Haste) in 3.5...I wouldn't bother with Haste unless you have someone who's just crazily good in melee. Who are your companions? (If you know)

For 0th: Detect Magic/Poison can save lives (though obviously this is DM trickiness dependent). Open/Close is good if you don't want to touch something (say...something poisoned). I'd sub out Daze for both since you're 5th level so most enemies will be unaffected.

1st: Ditch Sleep for the same reason, most enemies won't be touched anyway. You're missing a damaging spell so Magic Missile is pretty standard, but I like Ray of Flame for setting targets on fire in which case they have to put it out or keep taking damage...assuming they do that's at least one round they aren't fighting.

2nd: Consider Earth Lock if you expect to be dungeon diving; The problem with Bull's Strength is that characters are likely to have at least a partial enhancement bonus to str, so maybe Burning sword (SpC) instead.

Spuddles
2013-03-24, 11:23 PM
Magic Missile is a waste on a wizard. 3d4+3 damage ain't doin' jack. Can be useful vs. shadows, etc., but otherwise, no.

Would you consider craft wondrous item over craft weapon? Greater Magic Weapon lasts hours; bull strength doesn't. It's more efficient to replicate weapon/armor effects with spells and pay cash for wondrous items than the other way around.

Zilzmaer
2013-03-25, 09:14 AM
What houserules are in play? Standard WBL for level 5 is 9K go, but it looks like you've spent over 15K; 9000 for the armor (+1 and Twilight, for effective +3), 4000 for the Headband, 2000 for the amulet, 750 for the wand, and a little over 300 for the crossbow.

Spuddles
2013-03-25, 09:25 AM
Twilight is only a +1 enhancement.

Zilzmaer
2013-03-25, 10:29 AM
Twilight is only a +1 enhancement.

*checks* Why, so it is! Maybe I'll actually start using it now. That said, he's still a bit over 1000 extra gp.