PDA

View Full Version : Help making a Character

Georgermh
2013-03-24, 02:30 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the world of dnd and although I have played a couple sessions, me and my dm have decided to just start from new. We are playing versions 3.5 and with stat arrays. Right now Im just a simple commoner, but my dm says that dnd was made to be played with classes so that is why I am here. I already informed him that I want a sort of Mr Miyagi type character not into competition, doesn't look for fights is lawful and is good at defence and disabling his oponents. I am looking for a class that is great at dodging and great at taking advantage of his oponenets mistakes and disabling in the process. I dont want to use killing blows but disabling ones and I am really confused how to play this Miyagi type character out or which class to choose. I am able to use pathfinder but not prestige classes please help this noob.

TheIronGolem
2013-03-24, 02:49 PM
Sounds like the best class for you is the Monk. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk)

The Monk has a poor reputation around here, and that's not without cause. However, it fits the character concept you've described very well, and it's fairly easy for beginners to use. It fails to perform well at higher levels, but from what you describe it sounds like you're starting at a low level anyway, and by if/when your game gets to a high enough level where the Monk's problems are apparent you may well have decided to try a new character anyway. A lot of people here will warn you off of the Monk, but I think this is an instance where it's the right thing to use.

Also, if your GM allows you to use archetypes, you may want to try the Maneuver Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/maneuver-master) variant of the Monk. It has a focus on "special moves" to do things like knock people down, take away their weapons, and the like. That would mesh well with the disable-over-kill ethic you describe.

Georgermh
2013-03-24, 02:56 PM
Thank you for the reply and I will check it out

Feint's End
2013-03-24, 11:20 PM
Hmm I don't know about Maneuver Master ... it's PF and op said it's a 3.5 game (I assume both you and the dm are new to the game?) so I wouldn't be to sure about it.

Otherwise I'd probably second monk .... ofc there are more effective classes (to be honest most at them) and even classes/archetypes that can fullfill the role you want better but for a beginner monk is a pretty straight forward class ....
Maybe take a look into complete warrior and the special stunning fist attacks ... like blinding, dazing etc etc (maybe try to convince your dm to use the 3.0 variant where they had no daily limit :/ ... wouldn't make the monk overpowered but rather somewhat more viable ... blinding and dazing at will is pretty awesome)

If you wanna do somewhat more work and manifesting I'd recommend a Tashalatora Psywar with 2 monklevels ... maybe going into Slayer from Level 11 (that's more optimized). Full damage, Flurry, ac of a monk with the addiation of manifesting and 4 attacks basis instead of 3 (with flurry and snap kick 6)

however manifesting might be too much for you (And also mr myagi can'T do it ;) ) so just stick with plain monk .... maybe consider the feats I recommended you (the 3.5 variants are in Complete Warrior and the 3.0 (the ones you want) are in Oriental Adventures)

Georgermh
2013-03-25, 09:55 AM
Actually my dm has played several campaigns and has been playing for years i am the noob here. He said he could help me out with pretty much any class I choose. I know the monk is the correct choice but the problem is their weak end game. Im thinking of trying out a psywarrior like you said, fits me well and I could still play like miyagi. I have no problem multiclassing which is what I have intended to do, since right now Im commoner of class, starting at level 1 no money. My dm is playing me hardcore so basically I almost died on my first session, but I told him thats what i want. I like your idea Feints End thank you very much for the answer :) very happy now. I had already played a monk in my last campaign that never finished and i did notice that they kinda suck at high levels like you guys have told me. Thank you so much. I will talk to my dm about all this and so him the forum. He will know what to do. Thank you so much!. Just a question were not doing point by but arrays. What would an array look like for a psywar with 2 levels of monk. Im sure my dm knows but just figured id ask. Thank you again

ArcturusV
2013-03-25, 10:00 AM
I'd probably go Cleric into Apostle of Peace to get that. I mean Clerics are combat beasts, but they don't have to be. You have a lot of more passive, non-combat spells on demand anyway. Not to mention early access to cheap divination which fits a "mentor" type concept pretty well when, from level 3 on you can pretty much get any basic question answered by your divine powers.

Apostle of Peace is about as non-combat as you can get. You have to swear sacred vows of Peace and Non-Violence which prevent you from killing people. I believe you can swap out all your spells so they deal non-lethal damage instead of killing people. You can make your enemies swear oaths to live peacefully, which are divinely binding, etc.

Just make sure your DM isn't going to be a real jerk with the alignment restriction and Code stuff. That's the one downfall of that. It requires you to follow a code which, if your DM doesn't like it, they can basically make you autofall by putting you in no-win scenarios.