PDA

View Full Version : The Domovoi's Wife (3.5e fey creature, PEACH)

LOTRfan
2013-03-24, 08:51 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bc/Kikimora.jpg/220px-Kikimora.jpg

Kikimora
Small Fey
Hit Dice: 2d6 (7 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 Dex, +1 size, +2 natural), touch 13, flatfooted 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-4
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d3-1)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +4 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of Unease, Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Lowlight vision
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 15
Skills: Gather Information +7, Heal +7, Hide +7, Knowledge (Local) +8, Profession (Spinner) +11, Search +8, Sense Motive +7, Spot +7, Use Rope +7
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Cold Plains
Organization: Solitary, family (4-12), or clan (11-28)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 3-6 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: +3

Peeking into the darkened room, you can see a small figure spinning thread on a spinning wheel. The figure herself is not very imposing, but she looks very odd; she has a rodent-like face with a pointed nose, along with two small horns protruding from her forehead. Her legs resemble those of a chicken. Her long hair is kept hidden in a tichel-like hair covering, and her clothing is very dirty and covered in dust.

Kikimoras are small fey women, often married to domoviyre or leprechauns. Originally a form of swamp faerie, many Kikimoras have taken advantage of humanoid incursions into their traditional homes, taking up residence inside houses. In exchange for their residence (whether wanted or not), Kikimoras tend to do small chores in the middle of the night, often leaving finished clothing for the family in the morning. Still tied to their marshy origins, Kikimoras leave wet footprints while walking around. Inviting a Kikimora into a house is simple enough, as all one needs to do is to make a doll resembling one and place it under the main beam of the house for three consecutive nights, but once they have been invited in it is almost impossible to make them leave.

For some unknown reason, Kikimoras have a strange aversion to men, especially humanoid men. Kikimoras often harass and torment men who come into their adopted homes, and such men often feel extremely nervous and restless while in the presence of such a creature. Kikimoras see themselves as defenders of the women of their home, and rarely get along with males who are not their husbands. At certain times, when a Kikimora feels like her work is unappreciated, she instead lashes out at the family, breaking plates and making loud noises in the middle of the night. Kikimoras are rarely seen by the family they live with, and some legends say that if someone were to gaze upon one while she spins clothes, she would murder them in their sleep. This myth is (usually) unfounded.

Combat
A Kikimora almost never enters combat. If forced into a fight, she is much more likely to summon an animal ally than to actually engage in melee. When forced to use them, however, her claws can be quite painful tools.

Aura of Unease (Su): Kikimoras are said to have a desire to make the lives of men as uncomfortable as possible; Kikimora emit an aura that completes this goal fairly well. All males who walk within thirty feet of a Kikimora must make a Will save (DC 13), or take a -1 morale penalty to all attack and damage rolls and saving throws for as long as they remain within the aura and 1d4-1 rounds afterwards. In addition, any males who spend the night in a house inhabited by a Kikimora find themselves unable to rest peacefully, waking up fatigued and unable to prepare spells if they require a resting period before they can cast more. This aura only affects humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, and aberrations that have defined genders. Kikimoras can suppress or resume this aura as a free action. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Spell-like Abilities: At will- Mending. 1/day- Calm Animals, Goodberry, Summon Naturer’s Ally I (Dire Rat, Owl, or Wolf only). Caster Level 3rd.

Skills: Kikimoras have a +4 racial bonus on all Profession (Spinner) checks.

The Tygre
2013-03-25, 02:43 AM
You've just been on a roll with these monsters lately, haven't you? Another one out of the ball-park, LOTR!

LOTRfan
2013-03-25, 09:48 AM
Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. :smallsmile:

I'm in need of distractions lately (for the most part because I am on break), so I've been having a lot of fun with monsters.

Debihuman
2013-03-29, 06:24 PM
Well done indeed. So nice to see new monsters. I could so see this in an Urban fairy tale type campaign.

DracoDei
2013-03-29, 10:01 PM
Peeking into the darkened room, you can see a small figure spinning cloth on a spinning wheel.
Should be "spinning thread on a spinning wheel."

Do they require raw materials for the clothing or do they provide their own?
Also, spinning implies that the weaving or knitting remains to be done. Are they simply less skilled at those steps of the process?

Do they make life troublesome for any sons in the family they adopt? Only above a certain age?

Seems a serviceable creature, but I am not familiar with the folklore behind it, so I can't comment beyond that.

LOTRfan
2013-03-30, 09:35 AM
Fixed.

All descriptions I found of them only mentioned spinning, but I would assume they're okay weavers as well. Maybe I should include that in the statisics? And a few legends say that they make lives miserable for all men (their husbands included), but for game purposes I would say that it doesn't affect them until they reach early adulthood.

DracoDei
2013-03-30, 04:30 PM
Fixed.

All descriptions I found of them only mentioned spinning, but I would assume they're okay weavers as well. Maybe I should include that in the statisics?
Yeah, go ahead and put that in the statistics.

And a few legends say that they make lives miserable for all men (their husbands included), but for game purposes I would say that it doesn't affect them until they reach early adulthood.
Might want to edit that into the original post.