PDA

View Full Version : Smiting evil while sneak attacking?

Shadowbite
2013-03-24, 09:01 PM
Is it possible to smite evil while sneak attacking?

Ravenica
2013-03-24, 09:02 PM
Webcomics have lead me to belive you have to shout "SMITE EVIL" when you do it, I think that would negate the suprise :smalltongue:

Randomguy
Yes. You can also put a Stunning Fist in there, if you're so inclined.

HunterOfJello
Yes. You can sneak attack with any melee attack as long as it fulfills the requirements for being a sneak attack.

Zenoroth
2013-03-24, 09:07 PM
Webcomics have lead me to belive you have to shout "SMITE EVIL" when you do it, I think that would negate the suprise :smalltongue:

You also have to shout "sneak attack" so something like "Smite Evil Sneak Attack!" would work :smallsmile:

Ravenica
2013-03-24, 09:10 PM
You also have to shout "sneak attack" so something like "Smite Evil Sneak Attack!" would work :smallsmile:

the extra syllables give it away XD

Lvl45DM!
2013-03-24, 09:16 PM
And a death attack and a touch spell.
You'd need to be a rogue/assassin/monk/paladin which might just be the worst build ever

Urpriest
2013-03-24, 09:21 PM
Yes. In general, if something says it affects attacks, it affects all attacks that qualify. Sneak Attack makes a Rogue's attacks deal extra damage, while Smite Evil is activated to make one attack gain a bonus to hit and damage. Neither takes a special action to use.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-24, 09:41 PM
And a death attack and a touch spell.
You'd need to be a rogue/assassin/monk/paladin which might just be the worst build ever

Hmmm.... Rogue 3/Paladin 4/Monk 3/Assassin 10.

Toss in Kung Fu Genius, focus on Str/Int/Cha. Toss in some Intimidation (ab)use and a mithral breastplate. Might make low T4.

And come on - the worst build ever clearly needs some kiai smite (from the CW Samurai), Smite Opposition (from the MoI Soulborn) or some Psychic Strike (XPH Soulknife).

KillingAScarab
2013-03-25, 03:26 AM
This thread is starting to seem suspiciously like Ethan (http://dndorks.com/comics/9_4_2006.aspx) was here (http://dndorks.com/comics/6_1_2007.aspx).

But, yes, you can sneak attack while smiting. In fact, there was at least one prestige class created around that idea: the shadowbane inquisitor in Complete Adventurer. You needed sneak attack to qualify, but it advances it and provides a smite. Paladins may freely multiclass with it and rogue. That book also has the devoted inquisitor feat granting those same multiclassing privileges along with the potential to daze the victim of a sneak attack smite evil for one round on a failed will save.

TuggyNE
2013-03-25, 03:33 AM

No no. "SNEAK EVIL!"

Alternatively, "FIVE SHADOW CREEPING ICE ENERVATION SMITE EVIL SNEAK ATTACK STRIKE!"

Ossian
2013-03-25, 04:04 AM
Smiting evil (or good) is like splitting an evil (or good) log with an axe. You don't have to send an email to the log and inform it. You walk up to it, feet at shoulder-width, and you go with a two handed downward strike, well into the support block if you can.

You target is Evil (or Good) and since you are a smiting machine it does not really deserve a warning. Put all your weight in it, and be done with it :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2013-03-25, 08:54 AM
Yes. You can also put a Stunning Fist in there, if you're so inclined.There's even a monk/paladin PrC (Argent Fist, 5N) that increases the Stunning Fist DC if you use it with Smite Evil.

For that matter, there's also rogue/paladin PrC (Shadowbane Inquisitor, CAdv.) that grants both Smites and SA. Though, in true fashion of the inquisition, the target of their Smite doesn't have to be evil, it works if the inquisitor believes the target to be. :smalltongue:

Person_Man
2013-03-25, 09:40 AM
As others have opined, yes, it can be done. But because Smite uses tend to be so limited and only apply to one attack, and because it tends to create MAD issues, it's only worthwhile for very specific builds. If it's something you want to pursue, I suggest reading the Smite Optimization (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10289492) thread.

The Devoted Inquisitor Feat is a great option if your DM allows you to import it into Pathfinder through, since fewer things are immune to Sneak Attack and Smite Evil lasts until the end of combat against a single target.

You could probably also pull it off in 3.5 with a Rogue/Binder (several Vestiges grant Smite, and Binder is Cha based). But again, not particularly optimal.

magwaaf
2013-03-25, 11:00 AM

there's this webcomic, i think it's called "order of the stick" that makes me believe that you yell sneak attack when sneak attacking. therefore if you are smiting at the same time then it should work.

also play pathfinder so smite evil is worth using.

Greenish
2013-03-25, 11:06 AM
also play pathfinder so smite evil is worth using.Or just steal PF paladin for your 3.5 game (and replace Channel Positive Energy with the right and proper Turn Undead).