PDA

View Full Version : How far are we?

Fulckan
2013-03-24, 10:08 PM
First time poster, been reading since comic 80ish. If this is against the rules I am sorry and please delete. But a few questions.

1st. Has Rich stated if the story is complete. IE he knows whats going to happen and how the story will end, or is it open ended right now.

2nd. How far along into the story are we? Reading a normal book we can tell if we are in the front 1/4, half way done, last 1/4. Anyone have an idea how far along we are?

That is all.

genderlich
2013-03-24, 10:31 PM
First time poster, been reading since comic 80ish. If this is against the rules I am sorry and please delete. But a few questions.

1st. Has Rich stated if the story is complete. IE he knows whats going to happen and how the story will end, or is it open ended right now.

2nd. How far along into the story are we? Reading a normal book we can tell if we are in the front 1/4, half way done, last 1/4. Anyone have an idea how far along we are?

That is all.

1. Yes, I believe so. He said that he knows what the final panel will be.

2. In the commentary for Don't Split the Party (which ended just after Roy was resurrected), he said that we were past the halfway point and there would be fewer compilations coming out than had already been published. (So, 3 at most.)

Zmeoaice
2013-03-24, 10:36 PM
It's likely that Girard's Gate is going to be destroyed in this book. However, the time it takes for the Order to get to Kraagdor's gate will likely take up another book. Then there might be an 8th book about the true nature of the snarl.

zql
2013-03-25, 02:30 PM
I'd like to point out that this current arc it's going to give us a considerable longer book than the previous

1-120 DCF (120)
122-300 NCftPB (179)
301-484 WaXP (184)
485-672 DStP (188)
673-??? (209 and counting)

hamishspence
2013-03-25, 02:47 PM
I think somebody's pointed out elsewhere that War & XPs had so many multi-page strips that, even with a few bonus strips, this one would still have a few more pages to go before topping War & XPs.

Mike Havran
2013-03-25, 02:49 PM
I'd like to point out that this current arc it's going to give us a considerable longer book than the previous

1-120 DCF (120)
122-300 NCftPB (179)
301-484 WaXP (184)
485-672 DStP (188)
673-??? (209 and counting)

The strip count itself doesn't give an exact picture, a better comparison is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14939266&postcount=7).

The arc has yet to beat WXP. I don't doubt it will be longer, but not by much.

zql
2013-03-27, 11:57 PM
The strip count itself doesn't give an exact picture, a better comparison is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14939266&postcount=7).

The arc has yet to beat WXP. I don't doubt it will be longer, but not by much.

oh, neat
thanks!

Procyonpi
2013-03-28, 12:11 AM
It's likely that Girard's Gate is going to be destroyed in this book. However, the time it takes for the Order to get to Kraagdor's gate will likely take up another book. Then there might be an 8th book about the true nature of the snarl.

Considering the amount of chronological time left, I don't see a drawn out adventure to get to the last gate. If there are 3 books remaining, I think it will be more like:
-Book 5 is a NCFPB equivalent.
-Book 6 has a big battle
-Book 7 has the final confrontation.

Akari Itagami
2013-03-28, 09:12 PM

That is all.

If you are calculating the distance to ending with a strips vs. plot basis I'd do something like this:

Strips per arc (sort of) = (current no. of strip - miscellaneous)/visited gates

Remaining strips = Strips per arc*2 Gates + future miscellaneous + Snarl's showdown final arc = No. of strips to go

in my case I'd give:

Strips per arc = (881 - 100)/3
Remaining strips = 260*2 + 150 + 250
= 920 strips to go and we're half way done!

No I'm not serious I'm just doing it for the sake of fun :smalltongue:

Psyren
2013-03-29, 12:45 AM

Alternate theory - there is a huge battle at this gate, and everyone gets pulled to the other world. Then Kraagor's Gate is the only way for anyone to get back.

SowZ
2013-03-29, 03:01 AM
Alternate theory - there is a huge battle at this gate, and everyone gets pulled to the other world. Then Kraagor's Gate is the only way for anyone to get back.

Well geez, now I kind of hope so. A big question, are the people eaten by the snarl truly unmade or in the other world, would probably be answered a lot sooner than I expected if you're right. It would answer other big questions, too, but I bet the nature of the other world wouldn't be revealed in the early part of the arc.

Zelkon
2013-03-29, 12:30 PM
Remember, the URLs for the comics have room for quadruple digits! So at least a thousand. Probably more, because we're only 119 strip away from that. I wonder if it'll be a nice round number like 1500 or something ridiculous like 1277.

Psyren
2013-03-29, 06:50 PM
In addition, if the other world is a null-magic plane, it would be a pretty solid equalizer between the currently spellcaster-less Order and the caster-heavy teams of TE and LG.

Or it could have different rules altogether.

The biggest flaw with my theory is that it would cause Xykon to learn what's on the other side of the rift ahead of schedule, and have some very pointed questions for Redcloak as a result.

SowZ
2013-03-29, 08:14 PM
In addition, if the other world is a null-magic plane, it would be a pretty solid equalizer between the currently spellcaster-less Order and the caster-heavy teams of TE and LG.

Or it could have different rules altogether.

The biggest flaw with my theory is that it would cause Xykon to learn what's on the other side of the rift ahead of schedule, and have some very pointed questions for Redcloak as a result.

I, for one, would be interested in seeing that unfold. Xykon, in the know, now fully motivated to kill EVERYONE involved in the story out of rage? Very interesting.

Procyonpi
2013-03-30, 09:38 AM
Remember, the URLs for the comics have room for quadruple digits! So at least a thousand. Probably more, because we're only 119 strip away from that. I wonder if it'll be a nice round number like 1500 or something ridiculous like 1277.

I beleive Rich gave up on making things happen on round numbers after 200.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-03-30, 11:12 AM
300 (www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html) and 400 (www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0400.html) were pretty cool. :smalltongue: