PDA

View Full Version : Does this type of monster exist?

AthasianWarlock
2013-03-25, 01:23 AM
Is there a monster that will regenerate from total death such as a beloved of cremosh?

ArcturusV
2013-03-25, 01:27 AM
Well, as I recall that's how regeneration works in general. Like for trolls if you don't burn them or acid them, they will come back, no matter what. Even works for Godzilla, the only way to actually kill him is to use Wish or Miracle, otherwise he'll regen.

gurgleflep
2013-03-25, 01:30 AM
Well, as I recall that's how regeneration works in general. Like for trolls if you don't burn them or acid them, they will come back, no matter what. Even works for Godzilla, the only way to actually kill him is to use Wish or Miracle, otherwise he'll regen.

Godzilla? :smallconfused:
Also, on the subject of trolls, do half-trolls have regenerative abilities?

AthasianWarlock
2013-03-25, 01:32 AM
"A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace" SRD

So I guess the answer is "sort of"

ArcturusV
2013-03-25, 01:38 AM
There's a monster called the Tarrasque. It's Godzilla. It even looks like the Tuna Eater Godzilla from the US movie back in 1999. It has Regeneration 40, along with DR 15/Epic. And if you don't use a Wish or Miracle, it regenerates back. Even if you knock down it's 450ish HP.

EDIT: Also, the Coup de Grace cannot be dealt with damage that would be Non-Lethal damage against the Regenerator. In the case of a Troll, everything that isn't Fire or Acid. So you can't just slit it's throat. You have to burn it.

gurgleflep
2013-03-25, 01:41 AM
There's a monster called the Tarrasque. It's Godzilla. It even looks like the Tuna Eater Godzilla from the US movie back in 1999. It has Regeneration 40, along with DR 15/Epic. And if you don't use a Wish or Miracle, it regenerates back. Even if you knock down it's 450ish HP.

Ahhh, okay. I know this beast quite well.
Aquatic Tarrasque's are worse. My DM wasn't a nice guy.

shizukanashi
2013-03-25, 01:58 AM
I agree, I thought that was how Regeneration worked. That only specific conditions could "kill" the creature. In Pathfinder this is a fairly common ability that even CR 1/2 Skeletons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/skeleton-medium/skeleton-bloody) have.

Jigokuro
2013-03-25, 02:44 AM
In addition to the good answer of 'anything with regeneration that isn't coup de graced with something that bypasses' there is also Dalmosh in MMV. He is a CR17 big dumb evil outsider that can be summoned rather easily by almost anyone for 10,000gp. When killed, no matter what, he respawns in his home plane in a few days--even if he is kill already in his home (but he has no loot, so farming him is pointless).
Aside from his inability to be removed from existence, there is bunch of other cool stuff about him, like every thing he eats goes to a special demiplane that is kinda his stomach but not exactly that actually has permanent residents. He is a very cool creature, and one of my personal favorites.:smallamused:

Incorrect
2013-03-25, 08:00 AM
I agree, I thought that was how Regeneration worked. That only specific conditions could "kill" the creature. In Pathfinder this is a fairly common ability that even CR 1/2 Skeletons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/skeleton-medium/skeleton-bloody) have.

The Bloody Skeletons have Fast Healing. It's not quite the same as regeneration, as it ceases to function when the creature dies.

Cog
2013-03-25, 08:10 AM
The Bloody Skeletons have Fast Healing. It's not quite the same as regeneration, as it ceases to function when the creature dies.
Keep reading:

A bloody skeleton is destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points, but it returns to unlife 1 hour later at 1 hit point, allowing its fast healing thereafter to resume healing it.

Incorrect
2013-03-25, 08:17 AM
Yes, true. This particular creature has two abilities that together can bring it back to life and slowly to full HP. But it does not have regeneration.
My point was the difference between the Fast Healing ability and the Regeneration ability. To expand upon the differences, Regeneration can restore lost limbs; where Fast healing is more like accelerated natural healing.

Snowbluff
2013-03-25, 09:03 AM

EDIT: Also, the Coup de Grace cannot be dealt with damage that would be Non-Lethal damage against the Regenerator. In the case of a Troll, everything that isn't Fire or Acid. So you can't just slit it's throat. You have to burn it.

Except that a Tarrasque is western mythology and Godzilla is contemporary Japanese culture. :smalltongue:

I actually like Tuna Eater's design, even if her movie was crappy. Anyone remember the cartoon?

Steward
2013-03-25, 09:04 AM
In Heroes of Horror, there is the soul-locked template, which can be applied to any monster. It's billed as making an "almost unkillable" creature, who is almost impervious to violence. Basically, what it does is that, whenever the creature dies, it can make a level check with a fairly low DC and if it succeeds it returns to 'life' (animation, if it wasn't originally alive). This ability works even if the creature's body is totally destroyed (such as being immersed in lava or blown to bits with a bomb).

To make it less unfair, the DM can create a single weakness for a soul-locked creature -- this weakness is the only way that the creature can be killed, such as a specific weapon or ritual.

I think it's a pretty good template for the unstoppable monster archetype, and because it's so versatile you can modify any monster with it.

Alefiend
2013-03-25, 09:20 AM
Except that a Tarrasque is western mythology and Godzilla is contemporary Japanese culture. :smalltongue:

Not entirely true. The AD&D1 MM2 designers used the name of a Western creature (a dragon turned Christian by a saint, but then killed by fearful villagers) but explicitly took all their other inspiration from daikaiju like Gojira (Godzilla). They've said so, and I'd offer the quote if I had it handy.

Valwyn
2013-03-25, 11:00 AM
Vampire Lords (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a):

The only way to make sure that a vampire lord does not return is to cut its head from its body, burn the body and the head separately, scatter the ashes from the body over running water, immerse the ashes from the head in holy water, and bury the immersed ashes in consecrated ground. However, if the head ashes are ever unearthed and somehow separated from the holy water, dried thoroughly, and then subjected to an unhallow spell, the vampire lord can regenerate in a week if the ashes are placed inside one of its places of rest.

It takes some work, but if the vamp has loyal minions (a cult, maybe), they could bring him back. Or maybe some necromancer wants to control him. Or some adventurers free him and now have to hunt him down.

ArcturusV
2013-03-25, 11:05 AM
So they made the Vampire Lord like the Hammer Horror Dracula.

All they forgot was the usual schtick about mixing blood with the ashes.

Flickerdart
2013-03-25, 11:08 AM
The psionic PrC Body Leech can usurp the body of another upon death, though it only works against damage.

dysprosium
2013-03-25, 11:45 AM
Anyone remember the cartoon?

you mean the one with Godzooky?

rot42
2013-03-26, 01:35 AM
Curst is an undead template from Lost Empires of Faerun that allows the target to come back from anything shy of being dipped in a vat of acid or similar. I want to say Sandstorm has something as well, but nothing is ringing a bell just looking at the table of contents.

Snowbluff
2013-03-26, 02:18 AM
Not entirely true. The AD&D1 MM2 designers used the name of a Western creature (a dragon turned Christian by a saint, but then killed by fearful villagers) but explicitly took all their other inspiration from daikaiju like Gojira (Godzilla). They've said so, and I'd offer the quote if I had it handy.:smallconfused:

AD&D1 MM2

D&D 3e/3.5e/d20 The forum for conversations specifically related to the rules and procedures of Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition, 3.5 Edition, or any fantasy game using the d20 system or a variant thereof (commercially published or not).

Nice little tidbit, but we have ourselves a western Tarrasque in 3.5's MM. It has a shell and everything. Not that you are wrong, however. I'd like to see the quote, though. Does anyone have that handy?:smallsmile:

I am a little insulted that you thought you had to subtitle Gojira, though. :smalltongue:

Doorhandle
2013-03-26, 02:28 AM
Guys? How did we manage to forget the lich?

Not to mention graveknights/deathknights, ghosts, and various vampire variants.

TuggyNE
2013-03-26, 03:33 AM
Guys? How did we manage to forget the lich?

Not to mention graveknights/deathknights, ghosts, and various vampire variants.

FWIW, nothing that's undead has Regeneration, except the Atropal, and that's an error.

Doorhandle
2013-03-26, 03:58 AM
FWIW, nothing that's undead has Regeneration, except the Atropal, and that's an error.

Counterpoint: it has the same general idea/theme, and could work in the same role.

Unless the O.P has outright said it has to be regeneration as in the RULE regeneration...

edit: edited for clarity.

TuggyNE
2013-03-26, 04:16 AM
Counterpoint: it has the same general idea/theme, and could work in the same role.

Unless the O.P has outright said it has to be some sort of regeneration...

They used the word "regenerate" in the OP, so that's why I mentioned it.

ArcturusV
2013-03-26, 04:19 AM
Yeah but he might have meant in the general sense of returning to life. It was me who put the spin on the actual use of Regeneration in and of itself.

Thematically though, I do like those PF SRD skeletons coming back together. It's something I always thought skeletons should do unless shattered by blunt damage.

... and man, my players almost never pack a club. Even though they are free.

Shining Wrath
2013-03-26, 08:59 AM
Vampire Lords (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a):

It takes some work, but if the vamp has loyal minions (a cult, maybe), they could bring him back. Or maybe some necromancer wants to control him. Or some adventurers free him and now have to hunt him down.

Boy, if you were ever going to cast Explosive Runes on a gravesite, this would be it.