PDA

View Full Version : What sort of God would you follow, a bearded man or a chubby buddy?

RedDragons
2013-03-25, 03:01 AM
So quick hashdown....

1. You are a cleric

2. You choose a god

3. Do you chose them based on which quality

A. All power Mr or Miss Popular Diety, tons of power that you may get some of it.

B. Chubby Buddy Demi Power, Can't grant you Sun , unlike Miss Popular, but is allot more friendly and forgiving (as you are one of very few followers) , and while he/she can't give you the sun , seems allot more personable to helping you with issues, then Mr Popular that has a million of followers, which the exact same issues as you.

ArcturusV
2013-03-25, 03:06 AM
Considering I've made this choice before in a Drow Campaign, option B. The Drow gods in particular are so minor and with such small cults that they often would manifest blessings with no real "magic" being spent by clerics, or pop down as their Avatar. So if I wanted to I could call Vhaeraun down for a quick "Shank that guy over there" appearance. Or have Ellistraae go pop off her Hunter's Horn blessing just because I was fighting in her name.

In general though, yeah, getting blessings for free is always nice and always a good reason to take it. Also you have more people out there to "Convert" if you wish. More likely to be ascended to Sainthood or something. Good for the Lawful Evil divine ladder climber. :smallbiggrin:

Alefiend
2013-03-25, 03:49 AM
So quick hashdown....

1. You are a cleric

2. You choose a god

I reject the premise. You don't go to Cleric School and then choose which deity to go work for. You follow the faith of your people, or have a religious awakening of some sort, and your reverence of that deity leads you into the clergy.

From a player perspective, I choose a god based on how easy and fun it is to slip into the mindset of a devout follower. One of my favorite characters was a cleric of Heimdall, using a horn as a holy symbol and often the verbal component of his spells; he maxed Spot and Listen and I even took weak-ass feat Alertness for the roleplay value.

Gnorman
2013-03-25, 04:13 AM
Neither. I choose Bane.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-25, 07:11 AM
I reject the premise. You don't go to Cleric School and then choose which deity to go work for. You follow the faith of your people, or have a religious awakening of some sort, and your reverence of that deity leads you into the clergy.

From a player perspective, I choose a god based on how easy and fun it is to slip into the mindset of a devout follower. One of my favorite characters was a cleric of Heimdall, using a horn as a holy symbol and often the verbal component of his spells; he maxed Spot and Listen and I even took weak-ass feat Alertness for the roleplay value.

I'm with Alefiend. For me, it all depends on the character. I've had characters who worshipped the serious, powerful gods; characters who worshipped some minor niche deity; characters who worshipped the prettiest goddess; and characters who worshipped no deity at all.

Callin
2013-03-25, 08:14 AM
yea it all depends on the backstory but i usually go for the more obscure gods or even just the Ideal of whatever Domain i wanted to use.

Crustypeanut
2013-03-25, 11:22 AM
So quick hashdown....

1. You are a cleric

2. You choose a god

A. All power Mr or Miss Popular Diety, tons of power that you may get some of it.

B. Chubby Buddy Demi Power, Can't grant you Sun , unlike Miss Popular, but is allot more friendly and forgiving (as you are one of very few followers) , and while he/she can't give you the sun , seems allot more personable to helping you with issues, then Mr Popular that has a million of followers, which the exact same issues as you.

Easy. Chubby Buddy hands down.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-25, 11:56 AM
Pick Santa Claus and get both!

It's more about role playing, methinks. As DM, I have used both popular deities and niche deities to directly interact with players (though I don't go for battle assists...miracle is quite sufficient). They often work equally well, though I make an effort to make the god more than just whatever stereotype is pushed in the dogma. Like Pelor and his youthful indiscretions...good times.

Remember, even if Pelor has millions of followers, he's a crazy powerful divine being. He can render assistance to many, many at a single time, and multitask like a champ. If he isn't personally available, then maybe the pc would like to leave a message with his bevy of solars? The same is true of any deity of high rank; it's more of a question of "does the deity want to behave that way" than "can the deity do that?"