PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for fighting a cleric, as an outsider

TheDreadedThrag
2013-03-25, 07:58 AM
Hey guys I'm currently playing a 6th lvl unarmed swordsage focusing on shadow hand in an assassin campaign a good friend of mine is running. We have access to all of the books, because my DM is a ruthless bastard and wants us to have a chance against the horrors he concocts. My party includes me, a warlock, and a bard (interesting I know) Our current assignment is to take down a high level cleric that took all sorts of vows of non-violence and other things, while his big nasty body guard has zero qualms about killing anything. Sadly we don't know anything about the body guard yet.

My problem here is that my character is a Lesser Chaond, and thus, an outsider. I really like this guy, and only have about 7 platinum to work with here. Any good strategies for fighting a cleric as an outsider?

Vaz
2013-03-25, 08:17 AM
Assuming 3.5;

1) AFAIK, Clerics have no particularly special abilities against Outsiders. There is an ACF, but without Handwavium, by the rules, this cannot be improved outside of what the class feature states (so Sun Domain, etc only applies to Turn Undead, not Outsider).

2) You can use polymorph or metamorphosis to turn into an Outsider. I'm not too sure of many 6HD outsider beauties, but a Nightmare, Barghest, 6Headed Hydra or Intellect Devourer is a possibility. If you can get the Skin of Proteus, this has a similar ability, failing that, a Psicrown/Dorje of Metamorphosis or Scroll of Polymorph is the best way. If you can get 7 HD (perhaps through Barghest's Feed; the HD gain is permanent), then a Treant is a decent tank, while if you need some Poison use, a Water naga or Wyvern has a lovely little Con damage poison which you can milk outside of combat. At 7HD, my favourite has to be the Remorhaz for Swallow Whole, though. Not sure what that Non-Violence Vow will do against being swallowed by a monster. What happens when Polymorph goes away, and he's not dead yet is whole new matter, though.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-03-25, 08:24 AM
I'm assuming you're worried about Dismissal.

Do you have Moment of Perfect Mind? If yes, boost your concentration check.
If no, boost your will save (and get it).
Have the Bard cast Silence on you and stick to the cleric like glue to prevent him from casting.
Get a scroll of Protection from Good and have the Warlock cast it on you (he should have UMD)
Get a potion of Invisibility. If he can't see you, he can't target you. By the time he sees you it should be too late.
Have the Warlock or Bard counterspell with Dispel Magic.

Those came to mind but i'm sure there are more options.

TheDreadedThrag
2013-03-25, 08:39 AM
All good Ideas, sir. I do have moment of perfect mind, and mad skill points put in to concentration. I'm thinking sneaking up to him and using mighty throw might be a good idea, I'm swinging like 2d6+9 with unarmed strikes, because of a monk's belt and the unarmed variant of swordsage, that combined with all the shadow hand concealment and invisibility (not to mention the shadow blade strike that gives you two rolls and lets you choose the lesser as cold damage if it hits) It's not the strongest character you can have at sixth level, but he's damn fun. I'm all about flavor

LTwerewolf
2013-03-25, 08:43 AM
Mage Slayer (http://dndtools.eu/feats/monster-manual-v--78/mage-slayer--1820/) is a good feat to take to harass casters of any kind.

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-25, 08:54 AM
Dimensional Anchor should keep him from dismissing you.

Then a DC 20 slight of hand check will gank his holy symbol, no chance for him to resist. A wand of the Avatar spell will let the warlock give you 3-4 overlapping copies to burn for +20 to skill checks including diamond mind strikes that use concentration as damage and saves or slight of hand checks to remove spell component pouches and holy symbols.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-25, 11:42 AM
Dimensional Anchor should keep him from dismissing you.

Then a DC 20 slight of hand check will gank his holy symbol, no chance for him to resist. A wand of the Avatar spell will let the warlock give you 3-4 overlapping copies to burn for +20 to skill checks including diamond mind strikes that use concentration as damage and saves or slight of hand checks to remove spell component pouches and holy symbols.

You can just attack the holy symbol.

I'm betting you want to take the Cleric out first. Try to surprise him and land Silence (cast it on your sword or something) ASAP. He will most likely lay down some wicked buffs/heals on his BSF thug.

You're probably looking at a Cloistered Cleric here, plus he's all against combat (lower str?), so he should have a garbage Grapple check. Perhaps the Warlock can score something like Black Tentacles on him. Grapple + Silence = Dead spellcaster.