PDA

View Full Version : Suggesting a magic item for backstory

hymer
2013-03-25, 08:51 AM
I'm looking for some suggestions to spark my imagination:
A heroic and by now semi-retired warrior once saved a young, female NPC in suitably understated heroic style in a small sidequest in the wilderness. Once freed, the NPC could make her way home on her own, which was good as the warrior was now in a hurry due to the delay. But the warrior gave her a small magic item, which proved extremely helpful for a little while. The magic item would later return to the original owner, now wrapped around the neck of a baby girl.
The baby girl grows up and heads out to adventure as something like a human marshal4, now wearing that magic item. What item is it? How did it help the mother? All thoughts appreciated.

Greenish
2013-03-25, 09:08 AM
Anklets of Translocation. Because how can swift action teleports fail to help someone?

Pearl of Speech. Sometimes all that's needed is talking. Sometimes you also need 1/day Suggestion.

Travel Cloak. Everything you need to travel.

Callin
2013-03-25, 09:10 AM
I second the travel cloak.

hymer
2013-03-25, 09:19 AM
Which books is the travel cloak in?

JusticeZero
2013-03-25, 09:55 AM
Ring of feather fall - Was intended to help against little accidents and the like. Was actually used to escape certain death, by throwing the baby over a huge cliff to safety.

Hat of disguise - because mom wasn't going to be welcome in the village as herself.

Alleran
2013-03-25, 11:02 AM
Which books is the travel cloak in?
Magic of Faerun.

hymer
2013-03-25, 11:07 AM
Thanks! And for the suggestions so far. :smallsmile:

Lapak
2013-03-25, 11:28 AM
I'd be in favor of a Ring of Animal Friendship - it helps the NPC get home by recruiting transportation/defenders and aids the NPC once she IS home by helping her with livestock. Or possibly a Ring of Chameleon Power. Both are useful both in an adventuring and a non-adventuring environment, but not overwhelming power-wise. They're a little expensive for a 4th-level character, on the other hand. If that's an issue, then the Hat of Disguise suggestion is a more level-appropriate variation on Chameleon Power, and a Gray Bag of Tricks might work as a variation on the Animal Friendship.

In other level-appropriate stuff, a Horn of Fog would be an impressive, occasionally useful, not-too-expensive item that I can see a PC giving a non-combatant NPC to help her get home safely; a 'blow this and run' kind of thing.

hymer
2013-03-25, 12:10 PM
I really like the idea of the Animal Friendship ring, though it is a mite expensive. Thanks for your toughts!