PDA

View Full Version : Designing an Homebrew/refluff Invocation/Feat (advice needed)

Krazzman
2013-03-25, 10:55 AM
Hello Playgrounders,

I have a problem... I can't really decide how to homebrew something and I would like your Input into this as I would like to have it reasonable ready to present it to my DM that already approved homebrewing/refluffing something in this way.

Basically I plan on having a reasonable powerful mix between Hideous Blow, Eldritch Glaive and Eldritch Claws, that fit to the character I am currently playing and thought this would be the best address to... well write it in.

I am currently a level 1 Cleric of Tymora in that campaign and he will in short or long (more like long) be an Eldritch Disciple. (Cleric 2/Warlock 1/Cleric 2/Eldritch Disciple if you haven't read the build in another thread already). And yes I try to plan such stuff longer ahead of time.

The main problem is... Eldritch Glaive and Claws are "off-limits". A refluffed version of EClaws wouldn't be available until level 9. Eldritch Glaive as Invocation... refluffing it to Eldritch Glove/Eldritch Blade or yadda yadda seems good but we don't have that book and this would already count as Homebrew. Also I'm not that fond of having to recast it everytime. Infight, since I don't want a reach weapon.
And well Hideous Blow... having to cast, getting only a single attack, have to hit normal ac etc...

I thought about an least Invocation: Eldritch Infusion (translated to german of course to not confuse it with another class feature)
Benefit: As a Standard Action Infuse your Mainhandweapon with Eldritch energy to deal Weapon Damage + Eldritch Blast damage for x rounds. This is a Blast Shape Invocation.

x = casterlevel +1 or something along this way.

Or as a feat:
Eldritch Infusion
Prereqs: ??? (Casterlevel 3rd?)
Benefit: As a Standart action you can summon a weapon made out of solid Eldritch Energy into your hand for 1 round. Dealing damage like your Eldritch Blast + your Strength Mod (Critical threats on 20 x2). You can spend a free action at the end of your turn to extend the duration by one round.

For the Invocation... I'm unsure wether this should include an effect that when not hitting ac but touch ac would be a hit it deals half EB damage without strenght or something similar if the duration is lessened in exchange for this.

For the feat... maybe being able to choose between piercing/slashing/blunt damage depending on weapon type chosen.

I hope you can help me with this and give me input on the thoughts I had so far. This DM is of the opinion that ToB isn't that great because he thinks meleeclasses are too strong in the beginning and is definitely more story driven. At least that is my current impression of him. Having had 2 sessions with no combat encounters since we focused on Roleplay and getting to know the other players to which we had loose ties.

Waker
2013-03-25, 11:02 AM
My version of hideous blow might interest you. You infuse a weapon with your eldritch blast, the effect remains for 24hours or until the item leaves your possession. While this invocation is active, you are unable to use Eldritch Blast.

Krazzman
2013-03-25, 11:17 AM
My version of hideous blow might interest you. You infuse a weapon with your eldritch blast, the effect remains for 24hours or until the item leaves your possession. While this invocation is active, you are unable to use Eldritch Blast.

This seems indeed interesting. Can you drop your weapon and then cast ranged Eldritch Blasts again?

I'm having a random thought about this:would it be a good idea to have the use of a Normal Eldritch Blast end this effect?

Thanks so far.

Waker
2013-03-25, 06:41 PM
This seems indeed interesting. Can you drop your weapon and then cast ranged Eldritch Blasts again?

I'm having a random thought about this:would it be a good idea to have the use of a Normal Eldritch Blast end this effect?

Thanks so far.

Dropping your weapon would end the effect, as would ending it with a standard action for weapons that are harder to drop, like unarmed strike. That is my method, though you can obviously adjust it to suit your tastes.