PDA

View Full Version : Creating the Rise of Nerull (3.5)

Eternal Drifter
2013-03-25, 12:06 PM
Hello, everyone!

In a campaign I'm playing in, there are no gods, allowing an opprotunity to have one rise... and allow one to actually play as the rising deity before they rise completely.

I've chosen Nerull for this purpose: the God of Death.

While I have a general direction in mind for him, I want to see what you people come up with for progression of this creature. However, considering that some books are going to be hot water, so to speak, please focus on things that come from the core rulebooks (or the srd20). A single feat from another source would likely delay things for me, while an entire class would cause new problems.

Also, two requirements:

Scythe (Proficiency minimum; if a weapon must be specialized in, Scythe is the only one that can be specialized in.)
Start at level 1

Good luck, and I hope this proves very informative!

MidgetMarine
2013-03-25, 12:22 PM
True Necro?

Karnith
2013-03-25, 12:33 PM
I know that you've said that you're mostly limited to core, but you should at least consider trying the Dread Necromancer, which is a class in Heroes of Horror.

In core, either a wizard specialized in necromancy or a cleric would thematically fit Nerull best, I think. If you need to keep the scythe, then you'll have to waste a feat at first level for it, though.

Since Nerull is just kind of the generic god of death, you've got a lot of leeway to make your character's build. What do you want to do with the character? Do you want him to focus on snuffing out people's lives with spells, taking souls, and all that? Do you want to raise undead to fight for you? Do you just want to be a guy who hits people with a scythe?

True Necro?
I love the class to death (har har), but unless you're willing to get into some serious cheese I would recommend against the True Necromancer. It's underpowered compared to regular casters, and it's downright painful playing one until the class starts progressing both sides of your casting.

Prince_Ornstein
2013-03-25, 02:07 PM
I know that you've said that you're mostly limited to core, but you should at least consider trying the Dread Necromancer, which is a class in Heroes of Horror.

i second this, dread necromancer i feel fits the bill perfect for Nerull. I am Playing a N/E Dread Necromancer in a campaign right now and i am having a lot of fun with it.
Plus if you are going scythe, melee, the dr reductions from "lich body" will be nice to have.