PDA

View Full Version : Building a Warlock

Yogibear41
2013-03-25, 02:01 PM
Building a Dwarf Warlock with a theme of using both the powers of darkness and light to overcome his enemies. Plan on taking the Enlightened Spirit Prestige class at level 6ish ( I know its bad but I like the way it fits the theme)

Any advice on feats or anything else to help make up for the bad that is Enlightened Spirit?

Im taking 2 flaws(dark premonition and estranged from the wiki) so I will have 3 feats at first level, currently going to pick mortalbanex3 but not sure I will ever need to use it 15 times per day, 10 should probably be plenty what would be another good first level feat? Plan on picking up weapon finesses for glaiving, and will probably grab maximize spell like ability for a pretty good damage buff, would purify spell like ability be a good counter part for mortal bane against outsiders and undead when coupled with the spirit blast and holy blast invocations of the enlightened spirit?

Taking these traits:
Detached, Farsighted, Hardy, and Quick (-2 to reflex +1 to fort, +1 to will, -1 search +1 spot, -1 hp every level for +10 bonus to speed)

Stats:
14 str
18 dex
20 con
18 int
16 wis
10 cha
12 comeliness (how pretty I am)

(we have a very high ability score generating system of rolling)

I could put the higher str into cha as str does nothing for me, but I don't like the idea of a weak dwarf, and you never know when those 2 points in climb or swim will save you, at early levels anyway.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-25, 02:44 PM
Unless the DM is going to whack you with monsters with high touch AC (something that requires some effort, especially at low levels), then you should probably switch the Dex->Cha->Wis->Dex. You probably won't need a huge Wisdom, low Cha will make some invocations less effective (but still plausible), but mainly, you aren't an archer. In my experience, warlocks rarely miss, so a 16 Dex should be fine. This is especially true if you end up liking Hideous Blow or other melee options (clawlock).

Pick up some of the warlock items from MIC as you go, and you should be fine.

Eldritch Claws is a feat worth looking up. While not as powerful a mechanic as eldritch glaive (and requiring a feat), the claws have a metric ton of flavor and coolness, imho.

As for feats, you seem to have your ideas down. Others can probably give better advice, but it really depends on your combat role (ranged, melee, battlefield control, etc). There are a list of the standard feat selections for warlock npcs in the back of PHB2. As DM, I always check what a player is picking against that list, since the list is pretty sub-optimal, but has a few good tips for classes where choices aren't always obvious.

Yogibear41
2013-03-25, 03:05 PM
I was originally going to grab the claws but the decided against it because its safer in the back :smallsmile: ha lol, as far as charisma goes I had planned on really only taking invocations that did not have saves so I really don't need it to much (thought I think I will take the shatter one which has a save but only if the object is being held by something) my last character died to a group of creatures who couldn't even get through his DR, but they tied him up then basically coup de graced him to death :(

Also my Dm never approved the claw feat, he never said no but he also never said yes.

gorfnab
2013-03-25, 05:16 PM
Im taking 2 flaws(dark premonition and estranged from the wiki)
D&D Wiki is mostly homebrew and not official.

Warlock Information Compilation (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0)

How do you feel about adding in some Psionics or Incarnum?

Yogibear41
2013-03-25, 05:22 PM
My DM is okaying them atm, pretty postive he will accept them, I know people who have taken estranged in the past.

I'm not completely opposed to taking a 1 level dip in a psionic class (it would most likely have to be psychic warrior because In game I only know of 1 psionic person and thats what they are)

But I would have to deal with multiclassing xp penality, as well as a 1st edition house rule throw back where everytime someone uses a psionic ability a dice gets rolled to see if something notices it, and occassionally that something is something very very bad.

Kane0
2013-03-25, 05:33 PM
Would any of these help you?
Commonly Corrected Classes Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12909996&postcount=1) with Warlocks included.
Warlock Fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274643) by me, with tweaked invocations underneath.
Various Older invocations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222272) that you might find useful, with link to other people's invocations below.

Of course it's all homebrew, so you'd ave to OK it with your DM.