PDA

View Full Version : Scout or Swift Hunter

Darth_Versity
2013-03-25, 02:19 PM
I'll be playing in a random dungeon game soon. The idea is simple. We have been found guilty of crimes and will be made to fight in a special dungeon for the amusement of spectators. If we survive we get new equipment, but have to face harder challenges next time.

The dungeons will be made by Mythweavers random dungeon generator so that the DM can have a PC and the DM can change between dungeons.

I have decided to play the Skill Monkey/Trapfinder role, but cant decide what to stick with. I have decided on Whisper Gnome Scout, but cant decide whether to stick with it or go into ranger and swift hunter.

The build is a 32pt buy starting at lvl 1, any build ideas or suggestions are welcome.

TL:DR, Lvl 1, 32pt buy, Whisper Gnome Scout looking for build advise to be Skill Monkey/Trapfinder.

Eldariel
2013-03-25, 02:42 PM
Swift Hunter is basically a fixed scout. So definitely go down that route; whether you prioritise Ranger levels or Scout levels is up to you of course (but first level in scout for (8+Int)*4 skills). Have a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103). Being able to Skirmish normally immune enemies is a godsent; the rest is just gravy.

RolandDeschain
2013-03-25, 02:47 PM
Played a Swift Hunter(Ranger/Scout) character for quite a while and it became one of my favorites. Be aware that relatively speaking this is a fairly low power build, but the fluff is fun. I don't have the books in front of me, but I believe you have to go up to 5th level Scout do get enough Skirmish ability to qualify for Improved Skirmish. The moment you do, you should be done with that class, and focus on your Ranger progression.

When levelling up as a Ranger only take Favored Enemies that are immune to sneak attacks and precision damage, by doing so you make them vulnerable to your skirmish damage. The temptation is to go two-weapon fighting combat style(and who am I to argue), but I went with a heavy, repeating crossbow and the Crossbow Sniper feat. Not a bad build. Top it off with the Travel Devotion feat and see if you can sweet talk your GM into letting you be a Mystic Ranger instead of a standard Ranger class and now you're getting somewhere. My character also had the Flaw that gave you a
-2 in melee combat, and took a level of Exotic Weapon Master for Close Range Fighting(not sure if that's the right name) so he could wade into melee combat and use his crossbow.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-03-25, 02:55 PM
Scout 3/Ranger 17 loses a few crappy bonus feats, 2 skill points a level, and a few high-level abilities that can be replaced by items in exchange for a full BAB, good Fort save, and 4th level casting. No contest.

Eldariel
2013-03-25, 03:00 PM
Scout 3/Ranger 17 loses a few crappy bonus feats, 2 skill points a level, and a few high-level abilities that can be replaced by items in exchange for a full BAB, good Fort save, and 4th level casting. No contest.

Well, Scout 5 offers Evasion so you can get Spell Reflection off the other one. Scout 17 has that Ex FoM which is pretty nice. Some PRCs (Stalker of Kharesh for example) offer awesome FEs (e.g. Favored Enemy: Evil) that goes perfectly with the class and some offer fast Skirmish advancement (e.g. Dragon Devotee). There's options.

Gerrtt
2013-03-25, 03:09 PM
Ranger 9 offers evasion too.